Visiting Folsom Area Feb 29/30 - trail suggestions appreciated- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Visiting Folsom Area Feb 29/30 - trail suggestions appreciated

Hi friends,

A buddy and I get to escape the snow/cold/ice of minnesota the end of March and have 2 completely free days to ride. We've got a place to stay near Folsom Lake and are looking for trail recommendations suitable for Minnesota "Mountain" Bikers. While we're part of the local IMBA chapter and have some great trails we maintain, a mountain for us is classified as 700 feet of elevation :/

We've only been riding for 3 years and aren't crazy-azz downhill guys, but we're not slouches either. Locally, our technical skills and willingness to try things make up for our inability to keep up with XC guys and our climbing stamina is pretty terrible to be honest. Actually, we got to ride last winter near LA and I puked...but that was 2 hours of climbing for 15 minutes of downhill.

We've got a car and 2 full days...are there any must rides we should be hitting that are in driving distance? Sunday we need to end up in Reno.

FYI - I'm running the national college club volleyball championships (hard-court) in Reno which take place from Wed-Saturday that first week in April. 350 Mens and Womens teams from across the country. So anyone looking for volleyball'ers spring break, Friday and Saturday get pretty flippin' crazy and there's some great volleyball being played on Saturday (with lots of drunk and lookin' for fun college co-eds).

mtbr member
    Where to begin.....

You have secretly stumbled into some of the best trails in the US.

Many many people will chime in, but of course, Foresthill Divide Loop. I would add Salmon Falls South Fork American River Trail (eastbound).

Less people live in Nevada City, and many of them may be on dial-up so they don't post here, but Nevada City/ Scotts Flat is an absolute must.

You should also seek recommendations for meals, and beer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks...I like hearing the words, "an absolute must"...I'll check out all of those suggestions.

We will also be looking for micro-brewery suggestions for sure...but the riding is the top priority and any good beer is just icing on the cake.

mtbr member
    Nv city is a drive but awesome. Auburn is great and half the drive.

Salmon falls is less than 30 mins away and my favorite local spot. NOT cronan ranch/south fork American river trail like i think SBack was referring to. I would say avoid this trail at ALL costs, especially for non climbers!

mtbr member
    Pm sent

mtbr dismember

Auburn State Recreation Area

ASRA is on the way to Reno. Lots of riding. For 10 mile loop do Foresthill Divide Loop (FDL). For longer rides start down in the Canyon and go up Clementine, head west via Connector, do FDL, come back via Connector, down Culvert and Confluence (24 miles). New maps on my site.
    Last edited by Wherewolf; 02-20-2014 at 12:22 PM.

Thread Killa
    Nov 2012
    From Folsom just go ride the lake, you've got Granite Bay over on the Middle fork side and Browns Ravine out to Spanish House and beyond ~cough~walk your bike on the beyond part where you see signs for no bikes allowed ~cough~ to Sweetwater (great flowy trail) and out to Salmon Falls on the South Fork side Ride it back and finish at Mraz Brewery in El Dorado Hills (great trail supporters/bikers and good beer to boot) or set a shuttle and ride it one way spending some time playing around out at Salmon or ride up SFART as was mentioned above.
    Good chance to bump into some local riders at Mraz (open at 3PM) that can direct you to other local trails as well. None of what is mentioned has a ton of elevation but it does have enough up and down to keep you pedaling. There are a couple climbs which might tax you if you aren't used to it but take em slow and enjoy the scenery while your out. Heck, go ride the Nimbus lake loop, not amazing but some decent single track in spots and easily accessible. Finish near Sutter Street and hit Sam Hornes or Lockdown or Fat Rabbit for after bike brews. Shouldn't be hard to get some good rides in.

Thread Killa
    Nov 2012
    One warning... Poison Oak is very prevalent in this area and with the warm weather we have been having it's coming out of dormancy early. If you even think you might get it you should stock up on Technu and use it...

mtbr member

Sly Park. Dirt is incredible right now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf View Post
    ASRA is on the way to Reno. Lots of riding. For 10 mile loop do Foresthill Divide Loop (FDL). For longer rides start down in the Canyon and go up Clementine, head west via Connector, do FDL, come back via Connector, down Culvert and Confluence (24 miles). New maps on my site.
    This is what I came in to suggest.

Incredible loop but it does have damn near 4,000' elevation gain.

mtbr dismember

Way off!

Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    Incredible loop but it does have damn near 4,000' elevation gain.
    FDL has about 1,300 ft. of climbing

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    FDL has about 1,300 ft. of climbing
    That's 500 less than mine shows and that's less than half of the loop you suggested. My strava says 1,800 for FHDL, 1,200 for Clementine loop, and another couple hundred for connector = "near 4,000"

Strava said 3,800 last time I did that loop

And for what it's worth, mine reads lower than any of my buddies who ride with me

mtbr dismember

24 miler

The 24 miler up Clementine - FDL - Confluence is about 3,600 ft.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Ok, mine reads 3,800. Either one is "nearly 4,000", what are you getting at? I didn't say anything about the FHDL by itself.

mtbr member

If you do this, I would suggest skipping Clementine (boring asphalt climb) and going up Confluence and Shortcut to Connector.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    If you do this, I would suggest skipping Clementine (boring asphalt climb) and going up Confluence and Shortcut to Connector.
    Do everyone a favor and don't do this.

Going against the normal flow of traffic on a narrow, rocky, and cliffside trail with blind corners is dangerous.

NOBODY should be going UP Confluence IMO.

mtbr member

Going against the normal flow of traffic on a narrow, rocky, and cliffside trail with blind corners is dangerous.

NOBODY should be going UP Confluence IMO.
    Very doable if you go out early enough. I'm on the trail by 7:30. I would not do this after 8:30-9.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Ya that's fine I imagine. I just almost went over the edge with some group of idiots fixing a flat around a blind corner trying to avoid them. I may have if they had actually been moving towards me.

mtbr member
    Ya that's fine I imagine. I just almost went over the edge with some group of idiots fixing a flat around a blind corner trying to avoid them. I may have if they had actually been moving towards me.
    It's the same on Connector. I only find it fun on the way from Culvert to FHDL when it's early and I can flow without too much worry of a collision.
    On the way back it's guaranteed to be too busy with oncoming riders/hikers/dogs.

mtbr member

Its the best way up the mountain. I usually choose Stonewall after Confluence. Like Mestapho said, its easy as long as you go early. And thats not that big of a deal. We all know the knuckledragger downhiller types don't even get out of bed until almost noon
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    It's the same on Connector. I only find it fun on the way from Culvert to FHDL when it's early and I can flow without too much worry of a collision.
    On the way back it's guaranteed to be too busy with oncoming riders/hikers/dogs.
    Yeah, not a fan of Connector for a few reasons but that's probably #1.