Let go lightly

Ukiah - what's it like for riding?

Possibility that I'll relocate to Ukiah and just wanted to get an idea on riding up there before the next round of interviews. The only place I've ridden in the general area is Boggs and Lake Sonoma.
    Anyone living up there who wants to comment back I would really appreciate it.
    Specifically:
    1) If I were to live in Ukiah can I ride my bike to any good MTB trails?
    2) What is the riding like in the general (<1 hour drive) area?
    3) Are there many people to ride with?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

There are trails around Ukiah

And there are riders, so you won't be alone. Enough to keep you happy. From there every direction has more good stuff.Over the hill to Fort Bragg gets you Jackson Demonstration State Forest,and more freedom than you are used too.I'll show you the goods!

mtbr member
    I have some friends who shuttle Valley View trail which is just east of Ukiah city proper. From the gopro video I've seen, it's a pretty rippin trail. There are also shuttle opportunities in the Mendo Nat'l Forest like an hour away in Lake Pillsbury and Elk Mountain.

Trail Gnome
    I grew up in Ukiah, worked at a local bike shop, rode and raced there. There are trails around Lake mendocino, Blues Canyon, Valley View, Low Gap road/singletrack...there are options but, the riding is ok. Boggs is an hour away, Fort Bragg/Mendocino has trails-contact nugjug!
    Good Luck

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Get in touch with Dave's Bike Shop in Ukiah. Great guys, and they can show you the trails. It's about 2 hours drive for me, but I think I'll make a trip up there at least once.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

ST HO
    Jul 2010
    I mtb ride a couple times a week around Ukiah when the trail conditions allow. I've been here 5 years now...at first disappointed, but riding with locals, now see there's a good mix of cross country/DH/cross. Benefits: no head-on's (rarely see anyone around the Lake) or tickets. And it's also nice having the option within an hour to hit Annadale, Boggs, & some primo singletrack on the coast during the hot summer. Not to mention some reportedly nice ST north of here near Grasshopper Peak.
    You applying at Red Tale Ale by any chance?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Grasshopper Peak in Humboldt Redwoods Park?
    Any of the trails (Pole Line Rd, Look Prairie/Thornton...) in that area have some long, steep, climbs... straight away from wherever you park.
    Lots of dirt road, some single track, and spectacular views.
    I have more fun at Paradise Royale though, personally.

I finally rode out at Mendo and I want to go back this year many more times.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I live inUkiah and I think great. Lots of great trails. No crowds no grief.

Let go lightly

Thanks everyone

Riding options sound pretty awesome - thanks everyone for responding. Looks like I'll be up there next week - if I get enough time I'll bring a bike and sample some trails.

Alex

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Give me a shout if you want to ride.

mtbr member
    Doing the same perhaps. Thanks for this! Be up there to interview on Wednesday. Then Ride after. May stay up for a week if I make it to next round.

mtbr member
    I saw your post on Ukiah. I'd like to ride Ukiah next week if you can. I'll be up Wednesday. I can probably ride after 1 PM. XC or AM type stuff. If you can come or point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Erik

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I will be out of town on Weds. Its all very poorly marked. There are maps at the ukiah valley trail group website but they kinda suck.

I will be back in town on the weekend if its any help

mtbr member
    Thanks. No worries. I'll make due. If I move there I suppose I'll get to know it all very well.

Inspector Gadget
    Come ride Annadel, Boggs or Oat Hill Mine on Wed... all about an hour away and definitely worth the trip! I can ride about 5pm if you don't want to ride alone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by abeckstead View Post
    Come ride Annadel, Boggs or Oat Hill Mine on Wed... all about an hour away and definitely worth the trip! I can ride about 5pm if you don't want to ride alone.
    Thanks. Have to return rental car in Oakland by 3, and the studying I have to do beforehand may leave me no time to ride...this is turning into work.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Just don't head east to Cow Mountain right now. Pretty nasty fire up there. Saw lots of flames on the ridgetop yesterday morning before the sun came up...

mtbr member
    Suppose a pertinent question would be how many weeks or months are too miserable to ride (wet, and/or too cold)?

mtbr member
    If you get an off-road motorcycle, there are great OHV parks near Ukiah. Cow Mountain, Penny Pines, CC Camp. Many of us drive up from the SF Bay Area to ride there. With a dual-sport dirt bike, you can connect trails and roads for a hundred miles. (See Sheet Iron dual sport ride)

Ukiah is a nice area, my brother lived there for about 10 years, but watch out where you park your car/truck. Tweakers have been known to rip off items in the OHV parking lots. Cow Mountain is the only OHV park that has a webcam to watch the parking lot.

Not helpful.
    I'm interested, too.

My sister & me Mum live in Ukiah and I visit every other month or so. Please PM me with your phone numbers & I'll hit you up for the local rides next time.

And thanks for the tip on Dave's- had no idea there was a cool shop in the area.

Gary
    I wouldn't even get my hair cut except it's near the liquor store and it seems like my eyebrows need trimming now and then.

Trail Gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik MM View Post
    Suppose a pertinent question would be how many weeks or months are too miserable to ride (wet, and/or too cold)?
    Don't forget about the heat; it gets hot in Ukiah. I don't know how I used to ride on the hot days there?

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Pretty much none. There are cold ass days here and there in the winter were I stay inside. When its wet there are fire road/gravel roads that stay ridable. Me and my riding buddy night ride all winter...no rules!

Summer can get very hot, so ride in the early am and the weather is killer. When its too hot or when we want a change we popover to Ft Bragg. Its never hot and the trails are super nice.

The variety isnt amazing but enough ways to change it up and keep it fun. I lived in Marin for many years. I greatly prefer it here. No rules, no speed limits, no crowds.

mtbr member
    I am part of a group called NorCal Gravity that does shuttles on Valley View. Look us up on Facebook, or if FB gives you hives email me at r.n.lewis707@gmail.com. I'll make sure you get hooked up. Also look up Darwin Smart at Dave's he's a admin of the group (I am as well) he will steer you in the right direction. We have access to build in the area and could use help if your down.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ukiah - what's it like for riding?-jpeg-version.jpg  

fading away
    Hard to fathom a thread about Ukiah contains not one haiku.
    in this dying light

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Reviving a dead thread here so I'll keep my fingers crossed... I'm going to be returning home at the end of December for a friend's wedding and definitely would like to ride when I'm there if weather permits.

Any advice for trails with the least likelyhood of standing water/tons of mud? i've been living away from Ukiah for over ten years now so any info would be great, maybe even a riding partner for a day or so!

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Ukiah has great trails now but it has been a VERY wet fall and everything is a gooey mess.

Ft Braggs trails do much better with rain...less clay and more Duff.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I was just out there Sunday without my bike, but went for a short hike to see how the Valley View Trail was after all this wet weather. Snapped some photos.

Overall the main trail was pretty solid and rideable. Definitely overgrown in some spots, so be careful. I hiked up one of the 'alternate' lines and it was much softer (left footprints, but not so bad it stuck or clumped). Found a pretty ambitious jump line.

edit to add: Valley View's really the only formal trail I know out there, but would love to spend some time checking out the rest of the area. Seems like there would be some great trails in those hills.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Valley View dries out pretty well as it's sandy soil.

The road to the top can be a gooey mess.

I was referring to the trails around lake Mendo. They have a lot of clay and take forever to dry

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Hope to check out Valley view trail late today. I Will probably stop at the bike shop for info. is it best to climb the road and descend the trail or do an out and back? Bob G GPS track makes it look like a loop?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Hope to check out Valley view trail late today. I Will probably stop at the bike shop for info. is it best to climb the road and descend the trail or do an out and back? Bob G GPS track in his photo link makes it look like a loop?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by socobiker View Post
    Hope to check out Valley view trail late today. I Will probably stop at the bike shop for info. is it best to climb the road and descend the trail or do an out and back? Bob G GPS track in his photo link makes it look like a loop?
    If you do the fireroad climb, and presuming the road is pretty dry (which it should be) you can do the whole thing as a loop.

I've also climbed directly up the singletrack, which is doable but I preferred the road climb. Check your PM for a kmz. I hope to put together a cleaner version and try to get it uploaded to Trailforks or something.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I would definitely climb the road. I have done both. The climb is a %ĄŁ˘!!!

The descent is totally worth it.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    thx. Is the turnoff from the road to the trail marked or obvious? From google earth is looks like a maze of 4x road and trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by socobiker View Post
    thx. Is the turnoff from the road to the trail marked or obvious? From google earth is looks like a maze of 4x road and trails.
    You'll come to a section of the road with a de facto shooting range, and there's a gate/barrier near the turnoff intersection just off the main climbing road where you make your left turn. If you're tracking along with your GPS it's pretty obvious.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    You will climb. Climb some more and then keep climbing.

Once at the top you will begin to descend the back of the ridge.

About a quarter mile down the descent is a left. It is a short dead end with a ton of shot up crap at the end.

Over the cable fence and off you go.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sbd View Post
    You will climb. Climb some more and then keep climbing.

Once at the top you will begin to descend the back of the ridge.

About a quarter mile down the descent is a left. It is a short dead end with a ton of shot up crap at the end.

Over the cable fence and off you go.

The entire climb is fire road. It is marked (sometimes) as the road to the firing range. The descent is all singletrack.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    thx for the beta. couldn't finish work in time for the ride so I just got a quick out and back at lake Mendocino on the Manzanita Trail. Great conditions there, no mud and fun ST with some quick hard climbs.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I ride Manzanita all of the time. It's a fun trail.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I ride Manzanita all of the time. It's a fun trail.

Rode Eastside today with the wife and pooch and conditions were perfect.

ACS
    mtbr member

Great picture.

I'm in Willits and ride the lake every once in a while. The window for perfect conditions is pretty slim... I'll have to try to get a ride in over there this week.

mtbr member

Hwy 20

Sean,

Has a by-pass route ever been established to avoid riding on Hwy 20?

Thanks,

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    No. It's not really that bad but it would definitely be nice.

Since I almost always have my dog with me I hardly ever ride all the way around anymore. I tend to do out and back and/or figure 8s off the backside and avoid the west side all together.

ACS
    mtbr member
    If you ride around the lake clockwise, you'll hit that higway section going downhill and spend less time in the danger zone.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ACS View Post
    If you ride around the lake clockwise, you'll hit that higway section going downhill and spend less time in the danger zone.
    Yep. Like I said it's not really bad.

I have noticed that the trails near Bushay don't get ridden much and have a lot of downed trees and brush

Members who have read this thread: 2