fc
    head minion Administrator

UCSC fires - pogonip fire

https://twitter.com/CALFIRECZU

#PogonipFire [update] Fire is 1-2 acres in heavy fuels with difficult hike in access. Currently 7 fire engines, 3 water tenders and 2 crews assigned. In Unified Command with Santa Cruz City Fire.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    They are planning on turning off the power around here again.
    Last time they did that, I didn't have power for 3 days.

ADVISORY: CUSTOMERS URGED TO PREPARE FOR POTENTIAL PUBLIC SAFETY POWER SHUTOFF THURSDAY, NOV. 8.

In response to evolving weather and extreme fire danger, PG&E may proactively turn off power for safety to some customers in portions of following counties: Butte, Lake, Napa, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, Sierra, Sonoma and Yuba. We will only consider temporarily turning off power in the interest of safety, and as a last resort. PG&E could take the action of turning off the power for safety very early Thursday morning (Nov. 8). This could change due to conditions.

CUSTOMERS SHOULD IMMEDIATELY PREPARE FOR A POSSIBLE EXTENDED OUTAGE.

fc
    Follow it with this specific hashtag link

https://twitter.com/hashtag/PogonipFire?src=hash
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jibmaster View Post
    They are planning on turning off the power around here again.
    Last time they did that, I didn't have power for 3 days.

ADVISORY: CUSTOMERS URGED TO PREPARE FOR POTENTIAL PUBLIC SAFETY POWER SHUTOFF THURSDAY, NOV. 8.

In response to evolving weather and extreme fire danger, PG&E may proactively turn off power for safety to some customers in portions of following counties: Butte, Lake, Napa, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, Sierra, Sonoma and Yuba. We will only consider temporarily turning off power in the interest of safety, and as a last resort. PG&E could take the action of turning off the power for safety very early Thursday morning (Nov. 8). This could change due to conditions.

CUSTOMERS SHOULD IMMEDIATELY PREPARE FOR A POSSIBLE EXTENDED OUTAGE.

Isn't PG&E about to be sued into oblivion over the Napa fires?

Actions like that have consequences. At some point PG&E will just abandon fire prone areas altogether, or go out of business and let the state deal with the issues of providing power in fire prone areas. Or, your electric bill will be over the top expensive. Maybe it already is?

In a similar vein, the Durango-Silverton steam train that is the center of the tourism industry in the Durango, Colorado area is probably done, since the big fire last summer was most likely caused by the train, and the lawyers are salivating. If it goes under, a big part of the tourism industry will be lost, along with a lot of history.

These are two great examples of how climate change is going to gradually reshape everyone's lives, whether they believe it or not. Both of these issues pale in comparison to the shit that will hit the California fan when the Colorado River water wars kick into high gear. Could be as soon as 2020.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    The cause of some of these fires by UCSC including the new fire today is suspected arson. Nobody patrols these trails like us mountain bikers, if anybody sees something suspicious then please alert law enforcement.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodthegreat View Post
    The cause of some of these fires by UCSC including the new fire today is suspected arson. Nobody patrols these trails like us mountain bikers, if anybody sees something suspicious then please alert law enforcement.
    We mountain bikers wonít be out there watching over the land if the rangers are handing out tickets...

Over it
    Jun 2010
    ^^ Maybe it's a just a big misunderstanding and they've been handing out thank you notes for our volunteer patrolling.

"Glad to be of service, sir!"

(I did get asked by a ranger several years ago--the last time there was an arsonist--to be on the look out)
    The broken are the more evolved. Rejoice.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Isn't the sanctioned homeless camp across from Golf Park Dr closing this week? Is this some type of message by an angry "resident" of that encampment?

Edit: yup, it's set to close Nov 30th
    www.santacruzsentinel.com/2018/10/16/santa-cruz-to-shutter-city-run-homeless-encampment-by-nov-30/amp/

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Damnit, these fires to hitting just a little too close to home for me. Thanks CAL Fire!

Moderator Moderator

Nobody
    GOD Bless CAL Fire. I live in the mountains and in the last few years, we have had a handful of fires and CAL Fire has responded with a serious show of force and quickness.

I donate to them yearly as I know they operate on a tight budget and get paid peanuts. About time to gather up a load of steak and drop it off at my local firehouse.

These guys work their ass off for us.
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

Moderator Moderator
    ^^^ This x100. The true heroes in this country often go unappreciated.

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamis View Post
    GOD Bless CAL Fire. I live in the mountains and in the last few years, we have had a handful of fires and CAL Fire has responded with a serious show of force and quickness.

I donate to them yearly as I know they operate on a tight budget and get paid peanuts. About time to gather up a load of steak and drop it off at my local firehouse.

These guys work their ass off for us.
    Hell yes. Got a link to start a donation process?
    I wouldn't even get my hair cut except it's near the liquor store and it seems like my eyebrows need trimming now and then.

Nobody
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Hell yes. Got a link to start a donation process?
    Sorry, no. Since I live in the mountains near Lexington Res., I get mail from Cal Fire and they have an option to donate, so I typically so this once a year. We also pay an additional annual tax to the state because we are in a high fire zone and we get inspected almost every year by local firehouse to ensure we are complying with defensible space rules.

I'll look around and let you guys know...
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Wow, that guy is a real piece of... work.
    I wouldn't even get my hair cut except it's near the liquor store and it seems like my eyebrows need trimming now and then.

mtbr member
    lllegal campfires to blame for three fires. Not that it is a surprise.
    https://twitter.com/CALFIRECZU

fc
    A fire on Golf Club yesterday.

https://www.ksbw.com/article/santa-c...rning/25062923

So many homeless fires bringing enforcement and attention to the area.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    A fire on Golf Club yesterday.

https://www.ksbw.com/article/santa-c...rning/25062923

So many homeless fires bringing enforcement and attention to the area.
    I wish. If they were on it, the fires wouldn't keep happening. I think this one was actually closer to the train tracks. I couldn't see any evidence when I rode up Golf Club Dr today.

There is a green tent off to the side of EMT closer to the U-Conn end. Easy to see from the trail. It has been there for a while. A bit of enforcement would have that out of there.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMachinist View Post
    I wish. If they were on it, the fires wouldn't keep happening. I think this one was actually closer to the train tracks. I couldn't see any evidence when I rode up Golf Club Dr today.

There is a green tent off to the side of EMT closer to the U-Conn end. Easy to see from the trail. It has been there for a while. A bit of enforcement would have that out of there.
    Well, it's far easier to pass out $500 tickets to mountain bikers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    There is a camp at the trail entrance a short bit back as well. I see people coming and going from that camp. Why do the cops not stop this?

jms
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Azflyfishing View Post
    There is a camp at the trail entrance a short bit back as well. I see people coming and going from that camp. Why do the cops not stop this?
    Welcome to Santa Cruz.
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    If they arrested them it would cost them money to hold them for a night. If they fine them, they will never pay it. But if they write a mtber a ticket they are probably a middle class person who has something to lose and will pay it almost every time. Simple math, and law enforcement wonders why people don't trust or respect them.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Got one last week, looking forward to giving the judge my .02 sense
    (pun intended)

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Ugh. U dont see this where I came from. But it's too hot most of the year.

fc
    Two arsonist on the loose, trying to torch the forest. Thatís why theyíre shutting all the parks down.

http://www.cityofsantacruz.com/Home/...9kxc2umSmOMII4
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    "The City understands that these closures negatively impact those who responsibly enjoy public open spaces, and ask for their patience during this time. Community members are asked to be vigilant in contacting 911 if any illegal fires are observed. The publicís help is needed to ensure that fires are prevented or are immediately contained."

Kinda hard to help when we're not there.

jms
    mtbr member

The lesser of evils

Wait? Wasn't using the presence of mountain bikers to combat illicit behavior in Pogonip one of the major reasons for building Emma in the first place? Guess we failed![But then again, that was a laughable concept to begin with]! Time to leave it to the professionals [dripping with sarcasm]! Then again, coincidentally, the fires started after the rangers started clamping down on the use of undocumented trails, and there were fewer riders using the trails.....maybe we're the lesser of evils
    My Favorite Peeps:

jms
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMachinist View Post
    Kinda hard to help when we're not there.
    You can still be there in spirit!
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I didn't see the mention of 2 arsonists on the loose, but I help the catch those suckers. Hitting too close to home...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    There was a serious compound close to the old jump over the tracks, just past line of sight, below the tracks towards the river. Piles of trash, looked like a city. Scary place.

mtbr member
    I'm so sick of the bums in this town. I have to deal with them every single day and now they screwed up riding. I can't even escape on my bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I've seen several camps. Theres one close to the half way point too. Off closer to the ridge. I thought about calling the rangers but I expect they know and dont do anything about it. Isn't there a way we can hit a town hall meeting or something and let em have it? I'm mean sc is my new home too.