UC status?- Mtbr.com

Thread: UC status?

mtbr member

UC status?

Think I will shoot for UC tomorrow morning before the rains come in by mid to late afternoon.
    Anyone ride there today and have any intel?
    The steeper and rockier trail should be fun.
    Anyone else heading there in the AM?

Trail Gnome
    Iím thinking about hitting UC on Sunday or Monday; my local trails will be hella damp, if we actually get the predicted rainfall.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I will go in the morning!!, today I did Joaquin Miller in Oakland and it was great conditions!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    We got about 10" in the hwy 9 corridor in the past week. Sounds perfect for riding. Wear white and lemme know how it goes.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    It's not muddy, just wet with lots of debris on the trails. It's a good time to also help with trail cleanup and maintenance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CRUZe View Post
    We got about 10" in the hwy 9 corridor in the past week. Sounds perfect for riding. Wear white and lemme know how it goes.
    It was stellar today. Hope you didn't stay home worried about getting wet. LOL
    The stoke was high on 9 and above!! Trees down on many 9 trails but none if you were walking your dog!

mtbr member
    I shoulda called in sick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

orthonormal
    It was glorious out there today. So many people playing hooky! Rain just started about 8:00pm

NedwannaB
    Was your dawg Barking??
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    Marin Hawk Hill ll

mtbr member
    Howling is more like it!

mtbr member
    Any Sat updates? Thinking of hitting it Sun

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
    Instagram/Youtube- Dagonger
    Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

trekker
    Jul 2005
    Very wet today. I'll try again wed or thu to see if it dried out at all.

mtbr member
    Didn't go today..plan on going Wed.

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    Any updates (or guesses) on conditions today (Wed.)? Looks like maybe another very light rain last night?

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    Any updates (or guesses) on conditions today (Wed.)? Looks like maybe another very light rain last night?
    I have it on reliable information that the current conditions are "gooey". It was raining pretty good last night is westside SC.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    EMT has a few small soft spots. Ucon is getting slimy on the last stretch before the bench and a little bit right before the lattice blocks.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reports - it was enough to deter me from heading down - went to Pacifica instead and it's still pretty wet out there!

Trail Gnome
    ^^^Dont worry about anything...the trail gnomes will fix it

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    very wet, dirt is past the saturation point

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Any intel on Demo current trail conditions?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ssalinas View Post
    Any intel on Demo current trail conditions?
    I was up there today (not riding). Its super sloppy.

default title
    Mar 2008
    Looks like registration is still open for Saturday's MBoSC dig day at Demo (Sawpit) Sawpit Reroute Project ‚Äď Mountain Bikers of Santa Cruz

hint hint
    "My opinions are often more offensive than my *******." - Twindaddy

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Anyone wanna link up for a ride this weekend?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Anyone have trail condition updates?

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Haven't been up to the trails yet but it's been sunny for most of the day and is looking to stay that way. I am probably going to ride in a bit and can update when I head up the hill. Also would be down to meet up with anyone else looking to ride upper campus.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I'd be down to meet up for a ride! Planning on hitting upper campus this afternoon. I'll DM you my #.

mtbr member
    Emma is in pretty decent shape. The top of Ucon got a little worked over on the weekend, but it is drying out.

mtbr member
    Trails were in great shape yesterday. Some mud in some climbing areas. I didn't encounter any on any downhills. Total precip over the last week hasn't been very high, but there is another rain storm moving in early AM Wednesday.

mtbr member
    Ucon is getting sloppy toward the top. With the traffic it is getting today and tomorrow's hordes, it will be wrecked by Monday.

mtbr member
    Rode the steeps on 9 and a loop off of Empire. Wetter than last weekend with some soft spots and a few water/mud holes but still pretty good. Anything flat is to be avoided. Tomorrow should be good on the DHs. Maybe take the fire roads to access trails?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMachinist View Post
    Ucon is getting sloppy toward the top. With the traffic it is getting today and tomorrow's hordes, it will be wrecked by Monday.
    It's too bad a lot of the rocks in that upper sunny section have been removed over the last few years. Seems like water just runs down the trail now.

I thought the steeps were excellent yesterday. No trees down--or any issues--on the four trails I dropped. According to the Strava Flyby I shared a trail with Miranda Miller, UCI DH champ. She rips!
    "I will absolutely apologize hopefully sometime in the distant future if I'm ever wrong."

orthonormal
    Nisene was great. Soil is mostly firm and tacky but the leaf cover made for a few tricky climbs. Front DHF and rear Aggressor that work so well together in the dry seem so mismatched in these conditions. The front tire was digging through the leaf cover and finding traction everywhere while rear was packing up with every drop of mud I touched and sliding across the leaf cover.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Possibly the largest crowd I have seen all year parked at the Rincon lot and up and down 9 when I drove down from Felton at noon. Poor Ucon

mtbr member
    My kid and his XC team went down Ucon and Emma today. He and the bike were covered in mud. That can't be helping things...

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I was there five days ago (surprisingly good shape) and went today.

Emma looking like it might need a few days off, especially after tonight/tomorrow's rain.

All the traffic it gets exacerbating the issue, obviously. Was pleasantly surprised how the other trails have held up.

Big cluster of trees down on the climb back up to the stump, couldn't find the trail for a sec. (would post picture, but not sure if that violates rules)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f View Post
    .....Aggressor .....rear was packing up with every drop of mud I touched and sliding across the leaf cover.
    Yup, finally took mine off this morning and put the DHR on for the wet season.

Actually warped my Agg. sidewall over the summer at D.V. Have just been riding it out waiting for the wet (cause, damn - $65 tire!). Can't tell you how many comments I've had: "Dude, your wheel needs truing!"

DHR actually not my favorite cause heavy and slow rolling...suggestions for a DHF and different rear? I prefer a 2.5 front and 2.35-2.4 rear. (I know, I know - there must be 5,000,000+ threads on that topic alone...)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shapethings View Post
    Big cluster of trees down on the climb back up to the stump, couldn't find the trail for a sec.
    Worked on this pile for quite awhile today...sadly, despite wedges and levers, I still managed to break off the blade of my Bigboy 2000. $29 for a replacement blade and $46 for a brand new saw....sucks.

There's one more huge tree that needs at least a few hand saw sessions or just get it over with on the chainsaw.....mo' better.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Halfabrain View Post
    Actually warped my Agg. sidewall over the summer at D.V. Have just been riding it out waiting for the wet (cause, damn - $65 tire!). Can't tell you how many comments I've had: "Dude, your wheel needs truing!"
    *CASING WARPING* is this i only a Maxxis EXO thing or others as well. Cuz I seem to have the same problem with my Maxxis tire front or back.

Also not loving the the Aggressor or DHF either the muck. I don't really want a dedicated mud tire - so wondering what are the other better options.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothmoose View Post
    *CASING WARPING* is this i only a Maxxis EXO thing or others as well. Cuz I seem to have the same problem with my Maxxis tire front or back.

Also not loving the the Aggressor or DHF either the muck. I don't really want a dedicated mud tire - so wondering what are the other better options.
    I ran Assegai front, DHF rear yesterday and found it to hook up really well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Halfabrain View Post
    Worked on this pile for quite awhile today...sadly, despite wedges and levers, I still managed to break off the blade of my Bigboy 2000. $29 for a replacement blade and $46 for a brand new saw....sucks.

There's one more huge tree that needs at least a few hand saw sessions or just get it over with on the chainsaw.....mo' better.
    If we're talking about the same spot, that is some seriously impressive work. Was there yesterday and was amazed by how much that section was cleaned up.

mtbr member
    Rode UC today. Its definitely wetter then you think it is. I and others were surprised on how wet it was. 9 side included. I swear it looked like it just stopped raining. Bottom of Magic was flowing with water like a little stream.
    I think it rained there Wed but I would have thought it would have been prime and not sloppy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dp400 View Post
    Rode UC today. Its definitely wetter then you think it is. I and others were surprised on how wet it was. 9 side included. I swear it looked like it just stopped raining. Bottom of Magic was flowing with water like a little stream.
    I think it rained there Wed but I would have thought it would have been prime and not sloppy.
    I was up there yesterday and was amazed how wet it was.Ended up cutting my ride short out of guilt after seeing how thrashed it has gotten with all the traffic.

GMM
    mtbr member
    Thanks for the updates. I was thinking of going this weekend, but will pass.

mtbr member
    I went out on Wednesday morning since Weather Underground said we only got .18" of rain. I was blown away by how wet it was. I ran into a jogger who lives on Golf Club Drive and he said his rain gauge said 1.7 inches. That sounds a lot more accurate. It was really wet, but not muddy.

Today was way worse. EMT is getting trashed in a few spots and Ucon is bad toward the top. Way worse than last Friday. The weekend traffic is going to make it a serious slopfest.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    On a semi-related note has anyone ridden demo lately? I am assuming it is just as bad

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Endubro45 View Post
    On a semi-related note has anyone ridden demo lately? I am assuming it is just as bad
    Ridge is actually in great shape - actually a bit dry - Coral is good - Braille is pretty good but a few puddles and sloppy spots especially towards the bottom - didnít check out flow but Iím going to guess fairly sloppy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joecx View Post
    I was up there yesterday and was amazed how wet it was.Ended up cutting my ride short out of guilt after seeing how thrashed it has gotten with all the traffic.
    Joecx

Were you riding a hardtail yesterday? If so we chatted for a while at the bottom of Sweetness.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Rode demo this morning. Ridge is good, flow is good but just a hair greasy for my taste and braille was good. Overall it was just a bit slicker than I prefer but still very doable.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    UC was fine today if you dropped the steeper and/or rocky or sandy trails. The U-con climb was a little muddy in spots, as was the top part of Airborne. Lots of stoked people out.
    "I will absolutely apologize hopefully sometime in the distant future if I'm ever wrong."

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Callender View Post
    UC was fine today if you dropped the steeper and/or rocky or sandy trails. The U-con climb was a little muddy in spots, as was the top half of Airborne. Lots of stoked people out.
    loamtastic good times! now my legs are toast....
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

mtbr member
    Shuttle the dog and juggs of water. Rode a full carpet, chased a chupa and did some extra credit for Emma ....so good and yes a bit wetter than expected but nothing to stay away from!

Shredding with former Team Yeti/Fox racer Nate Espinosa

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagonger View Post
    Shuttle the dog and juggs of water. Rode a full carpet, chased a chupa and did some extra credit for Emma ....so good and yes a bit wetter than expected but nothing to stay away from!

Shredding with former Team Yeti/Fox racer Nate Espinosa

Name dropping...

mtbr member
    Pretty much unrideable out there. I'd recommend staying away for approx. the next 2 months. Thanks.