Two mountain lions sighted near Pogonip/UCSC- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Two mountain lions sighted near Pogonip/UCSC

Wēk Ss
    scary.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    That's were they live, in the mountains. Plus they eat coyotes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    sounds suspect... 2 adult mountain lions together... if male/female = mating and not likely interested in someones dog... otherwise mother and cub (not 2 adults - 1 year and the cubs are on their own)... 2 adult males are territorial and would fight one another... maybe they saw coyotes ....

mtbr member
    I saw them get into a big white SUV with the words "R A N G E R". One started to unbutton the fur coat. Scare tactics?

mtbr member
    Looks like it's time for...

I just wanna go fast!
    I hear they like how leatt braces and people who smell like the inside of shuttle trucks taste.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Hikers should be banned so they don't hurt themselves or the stewards of heroin hill. That way if you are a heroin junky you can feel safe without hikers using their dogs as mountain lion bait....

Is this thing on?
    Is this really news? It is their natural habitat. I saw a mountain lion at Quicksilver a couple weekends ago. I never would have seen him if a couple hikers hadn't pointed him out. He was ambling across a hillside about 50 yards above us, then he plopped down and surveyed his kingdom. He seem totally unconcerned with us. I spoke to a ranger about ten minutes later and he didn't seem to concerned, he wanted to know if it had a tracking collar on and I said it wasn't close enough to tell.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Here kitty kitty!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by icantdrive65 View Post

Not going to help you. You'd probably not see the mountain lion before it was on you. It would attack from behind and probably from a purch of some kind.

If you did come across one on a trail in front of you, trying to take in on with a knife isn't the brightest idea. It's really not interested in you either. Well, unless you are walking your small to mid size dog.
    Crusin' on a fake duck with a Sharks jersey on and a pig's tail in my fork

mtbr member
    Sorry. It was a joke in reference to this old notorious thread. http://forums.mtbr.com/california-no...fe-454101.html

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by bdamschen View Post
    I hear they like how leatt braces and people who smell like the inside of shuttle trucks taste.
    LOL! They wait for the little uphill sections where the shuttlers start to huff and puff, then strike.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

MTB skillz = NADA
    Don't forget that we have the lone wolf out there to worry about as well.

Calif. Puts Up Map Of Lone Wolf's Travels - Central Coast News Story - KSBW The Central Coast

On my next ride, I will be taking my Mtn. Lion knife, Coyote Pistol, and Wolf taser.
    Since I don't like writing, I don't have a blog to pimp. This space for rent.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    This is very normal.

Mountain lions live in the hills.

They get spotted once in a while

The population freaks out.

Mtbr has a good laugh. And Curmy buys a knife.

fc

Weird huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    Not going to help you. You'd probably not see the mountain lion before it was on you. It would attack from behind and probably from a purch of some kind.

If you did come across one on a trail in front of you, trying to take in on with a knife isn't the brightest idea. It's really not interested in you either. Well, unless you are walking your small to mid size dog.
    Oh it's on!!

El Cid is Spanish for The Cid..
    cmdrpiffle 7 points 1 day ago
    Cinco de Mayo is Spanish for Cinco de Mayo

Weird huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by icantdrive65 View Post
    Fabulous choice! I wholeheartedly agree

Weird huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by bdamschen View Post
    This

I like mtn biking, too
    Sounds like now that Heroin hill has been cleaned up, the wildlife is re-inhabiting the area. Cool! But, yeah, just don't bring any small pets or children or mountain lion knives
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. Were just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    This part from the story caught my eye...

[QUOTE]"While walking on the trail with their dog off-leash, they spotted two adult mountain lions about 100 to 200 yards ahead of them, Escalante said."[/QUOTE}

Bikes, worse than dogs off leash.

mtbr member
    Loved this part...

"Armed with nothing more than four-inch claws, razor-sharp teeth, and a 5.4-meter vertical leap, the mountain lion lunged at the adult male hiker. In a defensive measure, it pinned the hiker to the ground, thus disabling the man's primary means of attack. After a brief struggle, the animal was eventually able to lock onto the hiker's skull with its jaw."

(Ali)
    Sep 2006
    Does that part of the trail have lights? It must be pretty dark at 6pm, right? The sunset is at 5:18.

I was fooled once: I have pictures and videos of an animal that I could swear was a mountain lion. My heart was pounding as I took the pictures and the video. I had specifically looked at the tail and yes, it was a mountain lion. Until... it moved a few steps out into the fireroad where it was in reference and turned out to be a bobcat. The length of the tail and the black patches on the legs were not visible when it was in the grass.

Ali

Trail Blazer
    On new years day i went for a ride to check out the newer trails up at sierra vista OSP and came across two mountain lions laying in the grass on the hillside. i stopped in my tracks and pulled out my phone to record these majestic creatures. they stared at me for a bit then they proceeded to walk down the hillside into the brush but not before they stopped once again to look up at me and stare me down for a few secs until they disappeared. it was pretty awesome, and a bit scary! i'll upload it to youtube and post it here soon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Bobcat = 30-40lbs.... maybe 50lbs tops. Mountain lions are commonly over 100lbs. The typical adult male is 150-180lbs. Big difference.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    just came back from a night ride in the Santa Cruz area

1. stories like this do not bubble up in the brain until you are completely alone in the dark on a techy ST climb.
    2. you ride faster.
    3. i did not get eaten.
    4. i am enjoying a Stone Sublimely SELF-RIGHTEOUS Ale in lieu of being a cat toy....
    Click Here for Forum Rules

singletrack bound
    same here Nick.......

I survived too!!!

mtbr member
    Instead of mountain lion knife, we could use the term
    "cougar cutter"
    It's even funnier.

In all seriousness I have carried a cougar cutter on solo night rides. It gave me just enough false sense of security I needed to go.

lots of lion sightings around my area, even saw one young cub come through my gate to house. Thought it was a big bob cat at first then saw this huge long tail.
    Always heard that your more at risk if you present a small profile (tying shoes) then... my neighbors horse was taken down by a lion and the vet had to euthanize the horse. So I have got to admit it! It's kinda on my mind when I am slowly cranking up hills solo.
    .....the end

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    TWO mountain lions? Definitely going to need this knife:

. . . or better yet one of these:

Last edited by fc; 01-19-2012 at 12:51 AM.

Is this thing on?
    Two mountain lions sighted near Pogonip/UCSC-dirty-harry-original.jpg

Best for up close and personal with big game and hikers with off leash dogs.

mtbr member
    Looks like a second lion was spotted but this time within view from Chinquapin at noon time.

Second mountain lion sighting in two weeks reported on UCSC campus - San Jose Mercury News

Weird huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by zuuds View Post
    TWO mountain lions? Definitely going to need this knife:

. . . or better yet one of these:

This makes me hot.

That is all.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    We were just up in that area last weekend, 1st time for me, was super fun. 8 guys in our group, with 3 super slow guys. Good thing they didn't hear about this!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    Once the puma mounts its victim (usually from the rear), the victim has ample time to reach down, draw the knife and start blindly shanking above and behind them. The real trick is landing the killing blow.

How do you practice the art of defending yourself against an attack? Great question. The first step is baiting an attack. I find that dressing in a velour tracksuit and prancing around El Sereno at dusk is a great way to entice many things to mount you. I learned this technique after observing the cougars at St. Joes.

What happens if you do not land the killing blow in time? If the mountain lion succeeds to break its victim's neck, the victim will lie paralyzed but conscious on the ground while the puma begins to feast. The first thing it will eat is your heart.

I just wanna go fast!
    Quote Originally Posted by urban turban View Post
    Once the puma mounts its victim (usually from the rear), the victim has ample time to reach down, draw the knife and start blindly shanking above and behind them. The real trick is landing the killing blow.

How do you practice the art of defending yourself against an attack? Great question. The first step is baiting an attack. I find that dressing in a velour tracksuit and prancing around El Sereno at dusk is a great way to entice many things to mount you. I learned this technique after observing the cougars at St. Joes.

What happens if you do not land the killing blow in time? If the mountain lion succeeds to break its victim's neck, the victim will lie paralyzed but conscious on the ground while the puma begins to feast. The first thing it will eat is your heart.

Medium?
    Pics or it didn't happen to this whole thread. What a load of BS. 25' off the road in the middle of the day? No way.

Trail Blazer

here it is!

its crappy 240p shaky camera phone video but here it is. should have edited out my dialogue and fix the shakiness but oh well... you see them laying in the grass staring straight at me, then they head down the hillside, stop once more to look back at me, then disappear into the brush. this was at sierra vista OSP
    Cougars - YouTube

I just wanna go fast!
    lol, awesome

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    All these ML stories sound a little suspicious, first one is false I believe, nobody would be able to see 2 cougars at 6PM unless you had night vision, plus these cougars do not hang out together, they are solitary animals as somebody said earlier on this thread. Second sighting sounds like this student saw a Bob Cat. The hills behind UCSC are crawling with Bob C's and some are quite large. Mountain Lions usually do not walk around at high noon. Dusk, night, & dawn is cougar time! Even if they did see cougars which they may have, why would you go running to the ranger? Posted on every trail head is a cougar warning sign, I've seen a lion at Wilder, whats the big deal? I didn't go running to the ranger station I just kept riding!

(Ali)
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Spokeman View Post
    at 6PM unless you had night vision
    +1 (I said it earlier.)

Bob C's and some are quite large
    The cat need not be large. Without a reference object around it, a bob cat in the grass looks like a mountain lion, including the thick tail stem! (This happened to me.)

Ali

Wēk Ss
    I see cougars @ 6pm all the time!

Here's the proof.

Funny Banned Ads About Cougar - YouTube

I like mtn biking, too
    Quote Originally Posted by Spokeman View Post
    Even if they did see cougars which they may have, why would you go running to the ranger? Posted on every trail head is a cougar warning sign, I've seen a lion at Wilder, whats the big deal? I didn't go running to the ranger station I just kept riding!
    Well, It is actually a big deal for small people, children or pets. But such is the world we live in. There is lightning, ticks carrying Rocky mtn fever & Lyme disease, poison oak, rattlesnakes, mudslides, tree fall... Heck, just leaving your door in the morning exposes you to all kinds of deadly risks. It's a wonder that our human ancestors even survived pre-civilization. I guess they were truly hardy individuals. Now we're just soft as mush.
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. Were just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Took down a horse?

Quote Originally Posted by foot hill View Post
    my neighbors horse was taken down by a lion and the vet had to euthanize the horse.
    So a mountain lion took down a 1000 lb. horse? Hmmmm. Might need to rethink the size of the lion knife.

What about this scary little guy? I got close enough yesterday to touch him for this pic, and got a serious "don't mess with me" look.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Two mountain lions sighted near Pogonip/UCSC-hawk-eating-coot.jpg  

Snowjnky McDreamy
    Ranger today had one in a cage today around noon ...spotted on Empire Grade. Glad he was busy
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by snowjnky View Post
    Glad he was busy
    A coastal road ride, eh?

Snowjnky McDreamy
    Quote Originally Posted by grumblingcrustacean View Post
    A coastal road ride, eh?
    yup
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by snowjnky View Post
    yup
    Being a union govt employee must be rough with all this time to ride all these mountain roads mid-week. Us work-at-home stiffs only have time for short dirt rides...

Snowjnky McDreamy
    Quote Originally Posted by grumblingcrustacean View Post
    Being a union govt employee must be rough with all this time to ride all these mountain roads mid-week. Us work-at-home stiffs only have time for short dirt rides...
    well, I consider this valuable time. I have to be good at something when I retire early and have nothing but time and money on my hands , so I figure I better keep riding. I am doing it for the future.
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Bobcat behind our house in Novato.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Two mountain lions sighted near Pogonip/UCSC-img_4433.jpg