Tuesdays with the Spaulding Lake Trail- Mtbr.com
    VEGAN ATHLETE Racing

Tuesdays with the Spaulding Lake Trail

Tuesday June 15th, 22nd and 29th (the three longest Tuesdays of the year) I will be leading an afternoon ride on the Spaulding Lake Trail. I lead a ride out of Xtreme Outfitters (1200 East Main) in Grass Valley every Tuesday. We leave the shop at 5:15 pm sharp and should be on the trail by 6. This leaves us with about 2 1/2 hours of killer Sierra singletrack. The trail passes through PG&E, NID, Tahoe National Forest and SPI land. Along the lake, along Fordyce Creek, the waterfall on Fordyce Creek, Old Growth, old Narrow Guage railroad bed, killer technical rock gardens, hike a bike, smooth fast flowing loamy singletrack. This trail has it all. Be prepared for a brisk pace and very challenging terrain.

I'm sending this invitation out beyond the local area because it is such a fun trail that I love and think that you folks would just sh*t your pants because it is so friggin awesome.

Here are some pictures of the trail. Hope to see you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by vuduvgn; 06-15-2004 at 10:41 AM.
    Take a look at and consider "liking" our VAR Facebook and VAR Instagram pages.

mtbr member

Sounds Great...

I think I wouldlike to join you next Tuesday....i would probably be better off meeting you at the tralhead.....where are you starting? At Fuller?
    :p

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    Yup, at Fuller. We'll be there as close to 6 as possible. We are getting into the habit of bringing snacks and beer for post ride / pre drive back home festivities. Bring what you like, or don't bring anything and consume ours.

mtbr member

Sweeet!

OK...I'll meet you guys at fuller 6pm next tuesday....with food and beer!

It "is" about the bike..
    Jan 2004

Good job! Nice Pics!

Quote Originally Posted by voodoovegan
    Here are some pictures of the trail. Hope to see you.
    I am the photographer of picture #1. It was from last years IMBA Wild Ride.

Good stuff.

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    Has anyone heard of an open dislocation? I'll explain what I think it is. Let's take, for example, a finger. The finger is dislocated at a joing, so the finger is straight but at the last joint, the finger is pointing a different way. Now the open part refers to the fact that there is a little flesh still on the finger at the dislocation, but for the most part the flesh has been busted open to the quickness at which the dislocation occured. This happened to Gary Glitter on our Tuesday ride. It would have been worse had his speed not been slowed by his teeth hitting a big rock during his endo. His combo brake/shift XTR right side was busted in the process as well. After Troy had an endo his rear derailleur wrapped up above his cassette and we promptly removed the derailleur and chain. It was a bit of a walk out in the dark.

Hope to see you next Tuesday!

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    Come out for the abuse tommorrow. A friendly reminder.

mtbr member

Damn...

Looks like I'm working late tonight so....I'm out. Damn, Damn....will retry next Tuesday.

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    Last week went well, no casualties. The fella that busted up his mouth and broke his finger came along but w/out his bike. He ran the 10 miles at pretty much the same speed we were riding it. This firecracker of a gal came along too. She was on her new SC Superlight, a bit of an upgrade from her Baracuda hardtail w/ canti brakes and thumbshifters.

This Tuesday, June 29th is the last Tuesday Spaulding Lake venture of the year. Make it if you can.

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    It rained yesterday afternoon before we got to the trail. The leaves on the trees were still wet. The smell of fresh rain was still in the air. The trail was tacky and not dusty.

(note to folks who will ride this trail soon: the spillway is in full glory and the trail around the temporary river is a must)

We rode out to the Fordyce Waterfall and back. We rode down the Pioneer trail extension. I took some stats on this extension. 2.5 miles, 700 feet of elevation loss, 25 switchbacks. In the first mile there are 18 switchbacks. After dropping down to the South Yuba we rode up Bowman Lake road as the sun went down and the moon rose behind a thin layer of clouds.

Hyland

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    This starts again next Tuesday.
    Tuesdays the 14th, 21st, and 28th of June we'll be heading to the Spaulding Lake Trail.
    Leave from Xtreme Outfitters at 5:15 sharp in Grass Valley or meet up at Fuller Lake and start riding at 6pm.
    Be prepared with food, water, bug spray, beer and bullshitting.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Picture

A picture taken on SLT on Saturday. Great stuff!

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    Reminder.
    Spaulding Lake Trail afternoon ride tomorrow (June 14th). Leave at 5:15 sharp from Xtreme Outfitters or meet us at Fuller Lake at 6pm.
    This is not a fitness ride, this is a "brass balls" ride.
    Bring mosquito repellant and beer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

How far do you go on the SLT?

Starting at Fuller Lake, do you go out to Beyers Lake? How long of a ride is that? Any fun turn offs?

Thinking of riding there this weekend...

Looking forward to getting up on Grouse Ridge once the snow melts and the mosquitos die off...

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    If I have a weekend day i'll do the Blue Lake Trail, down Grouse Ridge and back on Spaulding Lake. That takes between 5 and 7 hours. If you've only got about 3 I do an out and back to Eagle Lakes. I've never been to Beyers. Memine?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Beyers

Quote Originally Posted by voodoovegan
    I've never been to Beyers. Memine?
    Beyers is a *great* trail, but coming from that direction (heading east), it is a hike-a-bike for much of it. I have done an out and back on Blue Lake Trail > Grouse > Beyers all the way to Beyers Lakes and it is great.

Note that everything up there takes longer than you would think from just looking at a map. It is slow, very technical terrain.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

thanks for the info

I'm pretty familar with the upper Grouse Ridge, and have only done the lower area (Grouse Ridge Trail - Spaulding Lake Trail) once.

I don't mind the hike a bike, it's all part of the fun.

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    Some pictures from Tuesday. Regular riders, shop owners only employee and his son.

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    Two last pictures. We'll be going out agian on the 21st.

Uncle

Gorgeous country, but...

where are the trails? The pics show some techie rock riding, but I've tried riding riding there, and have hiked it several times.

My friend has a dent in the top tube of his frame, after chucking his bike from the top of some massive granite hill. Why? Gradually lost the trail, and ended up carrying bikes for about an hour, trying to find any semblance of a trail. Climbed up a big rock hoping to see an opportunity to ride, but instead just found more dense brush. He snapped, and tossed it off the rock and down & out into the brush, managing to find another rock below. I laughed my arse off, but when the day was done, we'd carried our bikes about 4x as far as we'd ridden. This was past Bass and Milk Lakes, seeking the Pioneer trail. This was about 10 years ago, having no luck with two attempts.

With the growth of the MTB industry in Gold Country, my guess is that the trails are much better worn these days, but I'd probably still manage to lose the trail. I'm retarded that way.

Again, MTBR has managed to conjer great memories.

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    We go again tomorrow. I pushed my singlespeed alot last week. I'm going for a lower gear tomorrow. We also learned that we can't ride fast out there if we are to try to place well at Prarie City the next day. So, tomorrow will be relatively slowish...

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    Smaller gear was better. 6 of us, mostly XC fellas. Some good crashes and puddle splashes.
    1) Dark in there, I take crappy pictures.
    2) Steeper climb than it looks, rocky, rocky.
    3) Root drop to stream. Look ma, no front wheel.
    4) Jeff motoring up like a madman.
    5) Singlespeed wheelie drop from LSDville...

No Justice = No Peace

Huh? Whoa man...

What kind of acid was your camera on?
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."

mtbr member
    That's what happens when you drop it in the creek! Nice pics. You got my intrest. I know where I'll be driving soon! Anyone have some gps data for these rides?
    </robert> ::: B1KER.com - Be One

mtbr member

Just of Pioneer....

Quote Originally Posted by mtb_g33k
    That's what happens when you drop it in the creek! Nice pics. You got my intrest. I know where I'll be driving soon! Anyone have some gps data for these rides?
    Here's the data from the lower and upper Pioneer and part of the Omega trail from the other day. MotionBased gps link: http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/2491039