Flat Pluto Society

No good Truly a sad sight

Say what you will about Performance, but for many years, they were the only game in town for me. They'll be closed permanently here in a few weeks. REI closed up shop last year, so the only place local I've got to go to is a BMX/cruiser shop.

I didn't usually buy stuff online, and it was fun to go in and look around, shoot the shit with the guys and let my dog run around the store, barking her fool head off. Alton would wrench on my bike, explain what was up & point out things that were amiss and that I should keep my eye on. Rarely did I have to take it back because it wasn't done right. Jamie loves my dog, and enjoyed getting her all riled up. Dugly, you are a fricking character. Your impersonations of various cycling locals was a hoot (and I'm sure I wasn't spared ). Josh, you've always been super attentive, and I appreciate your professionalism.

Dugly, Jamie, Josh and Alton, good luck in the future. I know I'll see some of you around town, albeit rarely, but you and your store will be missed.

Truly a sad sight-bikes.jpg

Oh, somewhere in this favored land the sun is shining bright;

the band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light,

and somewhere men are laughing, and somewhere children shout;

but there is no joy in Mudville — mighty Performance has struck out.

Truly a sad sight-access.jpg
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 1 Week Ago at 05:42 PM. Reason: Dump tRump!

jms
    mtbr member
    Yes it is. What's even worse than the loss of the merchandise or mechanics, is the loss of a common meeting place and the community of sorts that develops over time.
    My Favorite Peeps:

Moderator Moderator
    My 14 year old daughter keeps telling me I should open a bicycle shop/brewery/coffee shop/cafe that would be a community gathering spot. I keep telling her I don't need another tax deduction!

Flat Pluto Society
    Quote Originally Posted by jms View Post
    Yes it is. What's even worse than the loss of the merchandise or mechanics, is the loss of a common meeting place and a community of sorts that develops over time.
    Here, here!

Name:  clinking-beer-mugs.png
Views: 1383
Size:  53.5 KB

jms
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    My 14 year old daughter keeps telling me I should open a bicycle shop/brewery/coffee shop/cafe that would be a community gathering spot. I keep telling her I don't need another tax deduction!
    You could probably make a small fortune! Just be sure to start with a large one ; )
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    So true.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Yes it is. What's even worse than the loss of the merchandise or mechanics, is the loss of a common meeting place and the community of sorts that develops over time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Here, here!

Name:  clinking-beer-mugs.png
Views: 1383
Size:  53.5 KB
    Yep, hard to find a shop that have employees who give a crap about you as a person.

Move 'em on, head 'em up
    Head 'em up, move 'em on
    Move 'em on, head 'em up, rawhide
    Cut 'em out, ride 'em in
    Ride 'em in, cut 'em out
    Cut 'em out, ride 'em in, rawhide
    Rollin' rollin' rollin'
    Rollin' rollin' rollin'
    Rollin' rollin' rollin'
    Rollin' rollin' rollin'
    Rawhide
    Rawhide
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Moderator Moderator
    You could probably make a small fortune! Just be sure to start with a large one ; )
    Well if that venture doesn't pan out, I have a back up plan.....trading options! No way to lose in that one......

mtbr member
    I think they've taken it down, but did anyone see the totally asshole post on Instagram Mike's Bikes did around Christmas? Was a broken down dilapidated Performance Bike gingerbread house next to a pristine Mikes Bikes gingerbread house. Super rude and uncalled for...
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

mtbr member
    F- Mikes bikes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Mike's bikes has some of the most uninformed employees I've ever came across, its like going to home depot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brncr6 View Post
    Mike's bikes has some of the most uninformed employees I've ever came across, its like going to home depot.
    Worst handlebar wrap Ive ever gotten was at Mike's. The guy cut it flush with the end of the bar instead of tucking it inside. It started to unravel in like 2 days.

Nobody
    Mikes Bikes is horrible! I just refuse to go in there anymore even if it means I don't ride that day. Employees know dick all about bikes and the mechanics are all meatheads.

i would totally rock a jersey with a Middle Finger laid over the Mike Bikes name
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_510 View Post
    I think they've taken it down, but did anyone see the totally asshole post on Instagram Mike's Bikes did around Christmas? Was a broken down dilapidated Performance Bike gingerbread house next to a pristine Mikes Bikes gingerbread house. Super rude and uncalled for...
    Wow thats low.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by brncr6 View Post
    you shop for bikes at Home Depot? I'd advise against that, personally.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by riderup View Post
    Well I'll have you know....they sell "real off road machines"

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kawasaki...1-MT/205690663

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Well I'll have you know....they sell "real off road machines"

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kawasaki...1-MT/205690663
    ha! I had no idea that they actually even sold bikes. That reminds me of the place here in the Bay Area many decades ago that gave you a free bike with the purchase of a piece of stereo equipment ("top of the hill...Daly City"). I bought a tape-to-tape deck (which made me the talk of the town in the dorm freshman year in college) and a bike that lasted about 3 weeks. I didn't get stolen, it just sucked so bad that it fell apart. The tape deck, on the other hand, brought many people years of joy ;-)

monster member
    In 4 years you will! :-) Might as well get on the ground now!
    Have fun!

monster member
    But seriously, sorry to hear that. They weren't near me so they were only an online place to me, but they seemed honest and I had bought from them before. Sorry to hear some of you lost a cool neighborhood place, and sorry to hear that another small business (and assumed family business) closed its doors.
    Have fun!

Cycologist
    Sorry, Finch. Now you'll have to post here for your bell issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

Hella Olde
    Is there really no LBS in your neck of the woods? I can't imagine what it's like to only have a Performance shop available. On the other hand, there is a job opening in Moccasin, CA., that they keep trying to fill with me. Sadly, I have 3 more years on my sentence here. Maybe then I will know the feeling. I do admit to ordering exactly what I want from out of state companies and installing it myself a lot of the time, so I can't really talk. It just seems weird to lament the passing of the store - but only based on what I saw at the SF Performance. I cannot imagine them ever having anything I would want outside of an emergency commodity. Sorry to hear about the demise of the social aspect, though.

golf caw.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Finch, are you a "Team Performance" member, with the card and all?

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    Finch, are you a "Team Performance" member, with the card and all?
    Hey, I grew up in NC. Being a Team Performance member used to be a big badge of honor!

Hey, I grew up in NC. Being a Team Performance member used to be a big badge of honor!
    LOL
    Those were the days, aye? I had one as well but hardly ever took advantage of the point system.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 1 Week Ago at 02:34 PM.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    LOL
    Those were the days, aye? I was one as well but hardly ever took advantage of the point system.
    Yeah, I never used up the 'savings' to offset the cost!

getting back into it...
    It's sad... then again I just got two Edge 520 Plus computers for $140 a piece.

mtbr member
    That reminds me of the place here in the Bay Area many decades ago that gave you a free bike with the purchase of a piece of stereo equipment ("top of the hill...Daly City").

LOL I got the same deal in 1989 or 1990! My tape deck lasted over 10 years, the "mountain" bike about 6 months.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    You go to home depot and ask where the copper pipe is and they take you to PVC and tell ya here ya go! Mike's bike is the same way. I was going to buy my son an ns hardtail but the help I got was worthless. Bought him a frame and built him one instead

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Absolutely agree... R.I.P Endless Cycles (CastroValley) and Passion Trail Bikes (Belmont); LBS gatherings were how I got into the sport and how I met some of my closest riding buddies. I imagine online purchasing doesn't give you the same benefits...

Yeah, I never used up the 'savings' to offset the cost!
    I wonder if those old Performance Membership cards are going to be worth something some day. Hmmm..now what trash can did I throw that in again some 5 years ago?

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    OK, I feel the need to 'Fess up. I STILL have a Team P. card.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    I wonder if those old Performance Membership cards are going to be worth something some day. Hmmm..now what trash can did I throw that in again some 5 years ago?
    eBay!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Yup but I did buy 9 Sram chains a few weeks ago, mostly 1071 hollow pin chains and 7 links. The chains were 16.64 and the links were 2.25. Don't think I could come anywhere close to that online.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've only had good experiences at Home Depot....

Personally I've never been happy with any bike shop experience. So I have a local guy who wrenches out of his garage when he's not working (head wrench at bike shop in SF), and at our house up in Reno I also found a guy who wrenches out of his house. Not perfect, but so far I've only had good experiences with both of them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    For what it's worth, I've had nothing but great experiences at the Downtown Sac Mike's Bikes, both with the sales guys and the mechanics. No complaints whatsoever. I don't know about that instagram post and that certainly does sound like some assh*le-type stuff, but the Sacramento location has earned my trust as far as bikes go.

That being said, losing Performance is a sad situation, I totally agree. Good luck to all the former employees/owners.

mtbr member
    There was a mechanic at Mike's Bikes Walnut Creek who knew his shit. I havent been there in a while though. He was a bit older than the rest of the techs and more shops should have guys like that. I have no complaints about that shop but I just go to Frame Up 'cause they always give me good service and they always seem to remember my name even if they randomly see me around town.

mtbr member
    ha! I had no idea that they actually even sold bikes. That reminds me of the place here in the Bay Area many decades ago that gave you a free bike with the purchase of a piece of stereo equipment ("top of the hill...Daly City"). I bought a tape-to-tape deck (which made me the talk of the town in the dorm freshman year in college) and a bike that lasted about 3 weeks. I didn't get stolen, it just sucked so bad that it fell apart. The tape deck, on the other hand, brought many people years of joy ;-)
    Remember when VW would give you a mountain bike when you bought a jetta
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    Are you thinking of the Ford focus kona edition?

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Bummer. Kinda like looking at a corpse. Hope Alton and the boys land on their feet somewhere.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    Wasn't it a Trek? mid 90's?

mtbr member

yeah

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Mike's Bikes Sacramento wanted to charge me TWICE the amount that Victory Velo charged me for a chain stay replacement. That place is rip-off central, which is too bad since I live only a few blocks away from it.

getting back into it...
    All retail stores to be closed by March 2nd.

https://www.velonews.com/2019/02/new...march-2_483352

Flat Pluto Society
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    All retail stores to be closed by March 2nd.

https://www.velonews.com/2019/02/new...march-2_483352
    Once the largest bike retail chain in the US. How the mighty have fallen.

Moderator Moderator
    Went to the Mtn View store today, literally almost everything in the store is for sale, even the equipment, furniture, etc. It was a bizarre scene, and sad seeing a business go under. Parking lot was full and people were rushing around like vultures inside, store was askew. I don't understand this 'something for nothing' consumerist mentality. When I buy something, I get exactly what I need, when I need it, and I want to pay a fair price for a quality item.

Cycologist
    I stopped by a store and picked up some road shoes. Lots of shoppers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

Flat Pluto Society
    Welp, here's a little ray of sunshine injected into a gloomy day: Brooklyn retailer R&A Cycles going bicoastal

Plans to open 10,000-square-foot store in Northern California’s East Bay in late 2019.

BROOKLYN, N.Y. (BRAIN) — By the end of the year, Brooklyn, New York, online and brick-and-mortar retailer R&A Cycles plans to open a new 10,000-square-foot store in Northern California’s East Bay Area. R&A operations manager Albert Cabbad declined to detail where exactly the store will be located, but said he has secured a space.

“We have tons of clientele in that area from online, and we want to get closer to them. So we’re not going there to shake people (retailers) up. We’re going there with a retail concept we think the industry needs,” Cabbad said.

“We can very easily go into the boutique model, but we don’t want that. We want it be very comfortable for everybody — whether you’re spending on a custom bike or buying a leisure bike.”

That concept begins with hiring the best sales and service staff possible and paying them 20 to 30 percent above prevailing wages, Cabbad said. “Most shops have that one guy who’s ‘the man.’ I need eight of ‘the man.’ We’re looking for the best of the best of the best.”

He added: “Consumers are sick of typical, intimidating, unknowledgeable bike shops. Most of them cringe when they have to go to a bike shop, or they expect attitude or unknowledgeable people. A lot of consumers know more than the salespeople.”

Some elements of R&A’s store in Brooklyn will carry over to the East Bay location, including a new take on the R&A Black concierge custom bike service and the shop’s soon-to-open Sensei fit studio. The East Bay location will also include R&A’s first café, serving coffee, beer, wine and sandwiches.

The new store will also offer R&A’s key brands store-within-a-store opportunities to highlight their products and stage events.