mtbr member

Truckee trip Feb. 17-19

Well, my plans to ski later this month are melting away as I type this, so it looks like I'll be bringing the mtb. Does anyone have info on what's open, what's worth riding, etc? I've never done any riding in the Tahoe area besides Northsrar, but I'd love to get a couple of rides in. If anyone would be willing to give me a tour, that would be even better, and I'd be happy to buy a few rounds!
    Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Sawtooth may be open, as it is low enough. Possibly flume also. TAMBA is your friend:

http://www.tamba.org/trails/trail-conditions/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Hitg?!
    Velofix.com for mobile bike repair in Sac

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    There is not much open here, yet. Maybe that weekend there will be more. Right now it's icy, or slushy and muddy. I've been mostly fat bike still,.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mmmm. You might be able to ride a few trails here and there, but there won't be much to choose from. Instead...try Reno or Nevada City areas.
    Reno is high mtn desert riding. Open views. Good trail. Nothing too technical.
    Nevada City is the opposite. Packed dirt (this time of year), deep woods experience.
    I like them both.
    Trailforks or MTB project will give you everything you need to know.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Yeah, not much going on right now. Lots of clear patches but also lots of crusty icy patches all over the place, even down near lake level. Frozen ground in the morning, muddy in the afternoon. Fatbike-only for sure.

L1MEY
    Emigrant Trail might be alright but is probably a bit muddy. Down in the western NV valleys Clear Creek is great right now, Ash canyon network is mostly fine if you stay away from Ash to King's (ice on north facing aspects), Prison Hill is good, Pinyon Trail near Gardnerville is good. I'm not sure about the Reno trails.

The skiing isn't terrible, to be honest. It's not great either though . In the mornings it's been a bit icy, then you get a window where it starts to soften nicely before it gets slushy down low. Most of the resorts are doing a good job of keeping what little snow they have.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Ride like a girl!

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the replies, guys. I'm hoping to get at least one ride in on Sunday; according to TAMBA, Sawtooth, Emigrant, jackass, and a few others are good to go. What would you guys recommend among these options? I'd love to check out Peavine, but it's not in the cards for this trip.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Too bad you can't get to Peavine, it is one of my favorite places to ride (until it gets to be too hot). Trails are probably great right now, I know they just finished up some trail work.

Professional Troll
    Anyone got suggestions for road bike rides in Truckee? I'm in the same boat. I'll be up there with family and I think that a road bike ride will be easier to organize than a potentially muddy MTB ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    The trails outside of Nevada City are in pretty good shape right now... if you want to head this way. Hoot is fun, but short.. so you can do a loop and hit Scotts Drop on the other other side or visa versa..

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05 View Post
    Anyone got suggestions for road bike rides in Truckee? I'm in the same boat. I'll be up there with family and I think that a road bike ride will be easier to organize than a potentially muddy MTB ride.
    The road biking is the usual stuff. Truckee triangle (267 to the lake, back 89), Old 40 to Cisco are the best two options.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Just thought I'd pop back in with an update: we got a decent little dusting of snow over the last day or so, down to lake level so certainly enough to cover any of the trails around the lake (you mentioned Sawtooth, Emigrant, Jackass) that you may have been considering. Plus it's going to stay relatively cold all week, and another small storm forecast for the weekend. I'd say whatever biking plans you had better be in the Reno, Auburn, or Grass Valley areas.

Or come ski! Groomers'll probably be fine.

wretch
    Quote Originally Posted by nilswalk View Post
    Just thought I'd pop back in with an update: we got a decent little dusting of snow over the last day or so, down to lake level so certainly enough to cover any of the trails around the lake (you mentioned Sawtooth, Emigrant, Jackass) that you may have been considering. Plus it's going to stay relatively cold all week, and another small storm forecast for the weekend. I'd say whatever biking plans you had better be in the Reno, Auburn, or Grass Valley areas.

Or come ski! Groomers'll probably be fine.
    Im skiing this morning and playing off of 89 this afternoon on the bike! Just a dusting!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I live on the n side of Town and the snow/ice/mud is lingering. Actually I wish it would linger a lot more! Anyway trails N of Town are pretty icy in the mornings and muddy once the sun hits. Other areas are less peanut-buttery in their mud composition.

Re road biking, I haven't been all the way to Stampede but imagine the Boca-Stampede Highway is in riding condition at least most of the way, and is a scenic rolling ride. If the Legacy trail is clear that can be a nice combo...