Truckee intel- Mtbr.com

Thread: Truckee intel

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Truckee intel

Sup dudes, thinking about giving Truckee a go for the first time ever, looking at jackass trail, seems pretty short though, any other options I can include to loop it? I'm aware there are some sensitive areas around those parts, I've found a gpx file for loop that includes jackass trail, but don't know the condition of the other areas in the loop, snow patches?

I'll be coming from Sacramento with a buddy, again will be our first time there..

Any suggestions for a fun 15 or so mile route??

Dm would be appreciated

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I can't say if Jackass is open but I'm certain everything "sensitive" above JA is still not good to go

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Hello, Over The Edge in South Tahoe here!
    Come down to South Tahoe! Lots of trail snow free and rideable!
    We have 2 of our for shuttle drop-offs open!
    Give a call or stop by for more info!

OTE Tahoe
    530-600-3633

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Jackass is definitely open, and at least some of that other stuff nearby is good too. I don't know about the very top though. For such a sensitive trail though, I've been wondering why I've been seeing so many stickers pasted around referencing it...

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    I rode Jackass for the first time last weekend it's definitely open...already getting a little dry and loose actually. The trail is sick and the climb back up to do another lap is pretty easy. I ended up doing 5 laps and it was a little shy of 20 miles and 2,600ft of climbing. The fact that I rode it 5 times should tell you how much fun I had.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bl858 View Post
    Jackass is definitely open, and at least some of that other stuff nearby is good too. I don't know about the very top though. For such a sensitive trail though, I've been wondering why I've been seeing so many stickers pasted around referencing it...
    Time to make shirts with all the cartoon characters shredding.

mtbr member
    There are ways to figure out the rest. It will be snow free soon. Also, the Alder Creek/Prosser trails are really good right now. I would imagine that Sawtooth and the lower part of Big Chief are also snow free.

mtbr member
    TD webcams, specifically the one at the marina shows a pretty good view of the crest and will give you some idea of the remaining snow pack at high elevations NW of there.

wretch
    Quote Originally Posted by dchester View Post
    Time to make shirts with all the cartoon characters shredding.
    That a dig? You want one?

Up In Smoke
    Coffeebar Truckee still do breakfast calzones?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    Asking the real questions!
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    They have breakfast burritos and breakfast paninis but I haven't seen a breakfast calzone although that sounds amazing!

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by sfmtber View Post
    They have breakfast burritos and breakfast paninis but I haven't seen a breakfast calzone although that sounds amazing!
    Last time I checked their menu I didn't see it. Pretty bummed, they are amazing. I guess the last time I was there was around December 2014. Planning a trip up there in a few months.

mtbr member
    Yes i want one!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Full Belly Deli Gnar Burrito is your answer

wretch
    Quote Originally Posted by nilswalk View Post
    That is absolutely correct. So good.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Trash View Post
    That is absolutely correct. So good.
    Oh yeah! The only negative about full belly deli is that it's closed on Sundays. :-(

Near Tahoe City, Dam Cafe and Crest Cafe make solid breakfast burritos! And they're open Sunday!

wretch
    Oh yeah! The only negative about full belly deli is that it's closed on Sundays. :-(

Near Tahoe City, Dam Cafe and Crest Cafe make solid breakfast burritos! And they're open Sunday!
    Yep!

Truckee Station on West River is really good - might not be fore everyone, but they're wraps, sandwiches and bowls are superb, fresh and full of flavor.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nilswalk View Post
    Dirka Dirka is pretty damn good for lunch too.

Paper or plastic?
    How much of big chief is open? Shuttle run doable?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    How much of big chief is open? Shuttle run doable?

According to that popular app, plenty of people have been riding Big Chief in the past weeks.
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    There's an official trail opening ceremony on June 28th at the N* end, so I'd say the whole thing is open now or very close. Haven't been myself yet this year tho.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    For those that are riding Big Chief, are you looping from Truckee or doing point to point from Tahoe City?

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    My kid rode Big Chief twice yesterday and said it was awesome. He hadn't ridden the upper part because it wasn't finished last summer when we visited. He started from Northstar and rode up and then back to Truckee on Sawtooth. (Disclaimer - it was a big ride that way.)

fc
    head minion Administrator
    So I'm here in Northstar and headed home. I did Big Chief a couple days ago and have been riding Boondocks and Livewire a bit the past few days.

I think I'm going to Jackass this morning. Maybe 7:30-8am. Then Full Belly Deli for brunch. Never been to either. Boo. If anyone's around, email me at [email protected]

Truckee intel-img_6768.jpg
    big chief rain

Truckee intel-img_6763.jpg
    on the way to big chief

Truckee intel-img_6772.jpg
    simplistic

Truckee intel-img_6881.jpg
    beginners
    IPA will save America

wretch
    Ah would love to come out and show you the Jackass ropes! Silly work. Enjoy it!

EDIT - email sent, call me, let's ride!

fc
    done! Damnnnnn, imma gonna move here! That sammich and bagel is that good.
    IPA will save America

orthonormal
    I was up there from last Friday until Tuesday but didn't get to ride. Too busy gutting and remodeling an old RV on my campsite at Tahoe Timber Trails, off Hobart Mills Rd. I'll be up for an extended weekend over the 4th and plan to ride 2-4 hours/day, would love to meet up with someone who knows their way around better than I.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Wow... looks like trail conditions could be pretty nice this weekend in Truckee!

mtbr member
    FC -- Did u ride that new Fuse in your pic? On what kind of trails? Review coming?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f View Post
    I was up there from last Friday until Tuesday but didn't get to ride. Too busy gutting and remodeling an old RV on my campsite at Tahoe Timber Trails, off Hobart Mills Rd. I'll be up for an extended weekend over the 4th and plan to ride 2-4 hours/day, would love to meet up with someone who knows their way around better than I.
    PM me that week

PM me that week

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee29 View Post
    PM me that week

PM me that week
    Thanks, will do.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Flo View Post
    My kid rode Big Chief twice yesterday and said it was awesome. He hadn't ridden the upper part because it wasn't finished last summer when we visited. He started from Northstar and rode up and then back to Truckee on Sawtooth. (Disclaimer - it was a big ride that way.)
    Is that the best way to ride it now? I'm thinking of riding it with my son this weekend. We will only have one vehicle. Would it be better to park at the Sawtooth lot and ride Sawtooth trail/road up to the top?

Paper or plastic?
    Can one be dropped off at Watson lake to go shuttle big chief?

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin_sbay View Post
    FC -- Did u ride that new Fuse in your pic? On what kind of trails? Review coming?
    I didn't ride that Fuse. The Fuse just got relaunched with modern geo and goodies. That bike in the photo is an employee's bike put together using the new frameset. It is soo cool. Affordable at alloy only. Singlespeed or geared.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Wow... looks like trail conditions could be pretty nice this weekend in Truckee!
    Conditions are insane. The trailwork has just been completed on a lot of these trails and the snow just melted. Raining in the afternoon or night too.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Here's a veggie bagel and dirkodirko both on Jalapeno cheese bread. Insane!!

Truckee intel-img_6904.jpg

Truckee intel-img_6905.jpg

I rode and rode around Jackass until I found snow. It's there, wayyy up but not very much now.
    IPA will save America

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by skippy24 View Post
    Is that the best way to ride it now? I'm thinking of riding it with my son this weekend. We will only have one vehicle. Would it be better to park at the Sawtooth lot and ride Sawtooth trail/road up to the top?
    I haven't ridden it from Tahoe City, but if you need to ride a loop I would say park at Sawtooth, ride up Sawtooth, then ride up Big Chief (it's mostly a pretty easy climb) and back down. If you don't want to ride up Big Chief then the 06 FR is right there.

If you start from Northstar then you will have to ride some road between the bottom of Sawtooth and Northstar in order to make a loop.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Here's a veggie bagel and dirkodirko both on Jalapeno cheese bread. Insane!!
    Nice work on the sammich, fc. Feelin' it in Truckee now? I'm sure it's going to be on the radar as a big time destination soon, if it isn't already. Especially with EWS on the way in August.

Say hi to CK for me, hah.

For the other inquiries... Dirt Gypsy is about to start twice-daily shuttles to the top of Mt Watson at 11am and 3pm from the Thelin Dr (Sawtooth) parking lot. I'll be aiming for the 11am on 7/5. Planning on riding to the peak and trying the descent off of the east face (which I've never done), then returning to Big Chief > Sawtooth > Happy Face.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by SikeMo View Post
    Nice work on the sammich, fc. Feelin' it in Truckee now? I'm sure it's going to be on the radar as a big time destination soon, if it isn't already. Especially with EWS on the way in August.

Say hi to CK for me, hah.

For the other inquiries... Dirt Gypsy is about to start twice-daily shuttles to the top of Mt Watson at 11am and 3pm from the Thelin Dr (Sawtooth) parking lot. I'll be aiming for the 11am on 7/5. Planning on riding to the peak and trying the descent off of the east face (which I've never done), then returning to Big Chief > Sawtooth > Happy Face.
    I was blown away. Blown away i tell you. I spent 5 day there. One in Quincy/Graegle, three in Northstar and last day in Jackass area. I have a new perspective about proximity and accessibility. The berms and rock work are impressive.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I was blown away. Blown away i tell you. I spent 5 day there. One in Quincy/Graegle, three in Northstar and last day in Jackass area. I have a new perspective about proximity and accessibility. The berms and rock work are impressive.
    Jackass area - Did that include the cartoon carnivore themed trails?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Damn.... cat's out of the bag now... Kind of like having Truckee staying on the down low and the masses heading to the Flume and SLT....

But then again, it's kind of cool seeing Tahoe's mtn biking scene blowing up. It's always been my favorite place to ride and should be mentioned along the other "mecca's". Tamba is doing some amazing things as far as a I can tell and so hopefully with more riders come more trails! (I hope).

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Tamba hasn't done much for trails around Truckee or North Tahoe, aside from making a few decent climbing trails to access the more fun downhills that have existed for a while. Most of the good stuff is either built long ago or user-built trails. Truckee Trails has done some good work, I'd love to see what they can do if they built trails with a bit more pitch.
    No reason Tahoe can't be as good as Whistler or Squamish or wherever, but it won't happen until we get rid of the idea that every trail should be built so that anyone can ride it in either direction. Yeah, it's good to have a few of those, but there needs to be trails that are challenging and steep and scary to keep advanced riders interested for it to ever be a true "mecca". I would love to see the mountain biking here catch up to the rowdiness of the skiing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Agree on all your points. But still... new trails are still new trails. Gotta start somewhere right?

p.s. I may have overstated the "amazing" part but I like that at least there are things happening and hopefully maybe some momentum builds to the point where all types of trails are built!

Paper or plastic?
    Ok, who wants to provide a shuttle to big chief this we? I can pay in IPA

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Unless you have a non-rider drop you off, probably would take longer to set up a shuttle than just ride up the road (I wouldn't advise uphill travel on Big Chief, no point and kinda ruins the flow for those going down). Also, I haven't checked it out yet this summer, but thinking the top of Watson will still have snow on the road going up, it's all north facing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Ok, who wants to provide a shuttle to big chief this we? I can pay in IPA

Dude, We're riding it as a loop. You and me. Maybe actually. I'm supposed to fish for kokanee this Sunday and they are on the chomp.

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by John Svahn View Post
    Dude, We're riding it as a loop. You and me. Maybe actually. I'm supposed to fish for kokanee this Sunday and they are on the chomp.
    Sh!t, I am really out of fitness. Cool, what time? I do have good IPAs. Wife got me a monthly subscription to IPAs for father's day!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Damn.... cat's out of the bag now... Kind of like having Truckee staying on the down low and the masses heading to the Flume and SLT....

But then again, it's kind of cool seeing Tahoe's mtn biking scene blowing up. It's always been my favorite place to ride and should be mentioned along the other "mecca's". Tamba is doing some amazing things as far as a I can tell and so hopefully with more riders come more trails! (I hope).
    I'm sort of in that bag. Been riding around Truckee on an off for years. But last few years it's been "off" until I demo'd a bike and did Big Chief in August. Now I'm "on" again, got a new bike, and will be one of those keeping Truckee out or down low.

But I've donated a couple hundred to the Truckee Trails Foundation. So my hope is that with (sort of) new riders like me clogging the trails, we'll see more involvement and more trail building.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by DANNER View Post
    I'm sort of in that bag. Been riding around Truckee on an off for years. But last few years it's been "off" until I demo'd a bike and did Big Chief in August. Now I'm "on" again, got a new bike, and will be one of those keeping Truckee out or down low.

But I've donated a couple hundred to the Truckee Trails Foundation. So my hope is that with (sort of) new riders like me clogging the trails, we'll see more involvement and more trail building.
    How do we raise funds? Who do we give money to? Please post up links please.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Rode Big Chief in September right after it was finished(?). Parked above Ponderosa Palisades at the main pullout. Up the road, down BC, Sawtooth, then back up the road and across to the other side and hit some of the stuff near the back of Martis Camp back down the the car.

I then went out and donated to TTF...
    https://www.truckeetrails.org/

wretch
    How do we raise funds? Who do we give money to? Please post up links please.
    Stay tuned for some local fundraisers that fuel the unsung heroes (unsanctioned) that have made this system what it is for the last 25+ years... The last two years we've rented out the Lost Trail Lodge in Coldstream for some live music, food, camping and proceeds all going to the trail fairies equipment. It's a unique situation here for every party involved but it's progressing in the right direction for everyone!

mtbr member
    Stay tuned for some local fundraisers that fuel the unsung heroes (unsanctioned) that have made this system what it is for the last 25+ years... The last two years we've rented out the Lost Trail Lodge in Coldstream for some live music, food, camping and proceeds all going to the trail fairies equipment. It's a unique situation here for every party involved but it's progressing in the right direction for everyone!
    I missed that one last year. That was the source of the extra rad Jellystone Park t-shirts, right?

wretch
    Quote Originally Posted by SikeMo View Post
    I missed that one last year. That was the source of the extra rad Jellystone Park t-shirts, right?
    Yep! Working on a riding jersey this time around.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Yep! Working on a riding jersey this time around.
    Would love one of these as well!

Paper or plastic?
    Jollipop is a goner I guess. The bypass of 89 is cool though. Gets dirt 1/2 mile closer to the house!

mtbr member
    Jollipop is a goner I guess.
    I'm thinking that they just neglected to map it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Rode Big Chief in September right after it was finished(?). Parked above Ponderosa Palisades at the main pullout. Up the road, down BC, Sawtooth, then back up the road and across to the other side and hit some of the stuff near the back of Martis Camp back down the the car.

I then went out and donated to TTF...
    https://www.truckeetrails.org/
    I think you missed Upper Big Chief. It didnít open until November.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesjus View Post
    I think you missed Upper Big Chief. It didnít open until November.

Yeah, that makes sense. We rode from the road West. But I know the upper part of what we rode was just being finished. Ran into one of the builders. Wished I had a beer to give him.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Yeah, that makes sense. We rode from the road West. But I know the upper part of what we rode was just being finished. Ran into one of the builders. Wished I had a beer to give him.

The builders did a great job. Especially the dude that constructed the causeway.

Upper BC is a completely different beast than the middle and lower sections. Way more fun; steep in spots, fast, blind roll ins, tons of kickers and as of today, already getting loooose. Itís one of the more techy trails around and some people are going to be over their heads very quickly. Much more techy than Jackass and Jellystone.

Also, I highly recommend people ride up 06 to the Fibreboard instead of the trail. Climbing it would be miserable with several short hike a bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Yeah. The amount of work that must've gone into that causeway section blew my mind. Very impressive. Will definitely ride the upper section soon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Rode a loop today that included Western States (twin bridges), Painted Rock TRT, OTB, and Deerpark. A few snow drifts on Painted Rock TRT (down near fibreboard), several trees down on OTB, few snowdrifts on Deerpark but for the most part 99% rideable. Deerpark already a dusty scratch in the earth but I'm guessing that that's normal for that trail. Western States, Painted Rock, and OTB were in amazing condition!

Paper or plastic?
    Rode up the 06 from the top of Sawtooth and back down big Chief. Not all the way to the top but close. 15 miles, 1800'. The trail is a mix of Rocky bits and swoopy stuff. A bit loose at the top.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    Rode Big Chief from the top today. What a great trail. I walked about four of the short steep rocky bits on the top section, but thatís only because I suck (and I was on my XC bike). My kid rode it all on a hardtail with no dabs earlier today, so itís all about the rider.

I started from Brockway summit, rode TRT from there about 7 miles or so, which goes directly to the top of Big Chief upon crossing Mt. Watson road. It was a great way to go, almost 20 miles of singletrack to the bottom of Sawtooth in Truckee. The climb back up to the summit at the end of the ride hurt though. Should have left the car down by Northstar.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Flo View Post
    Rode Big Chief from the top today. What a great trail. I walked about four of the short steep rocky bits on the top section, but thatís only because I suck (and I was on my XC bike). My kid rode it all on a hardtail with no dabs earlier today, so itís all about the rider.

I started from Brockway summit, rode TRT from there about 7 miles or so, which goes directly to the top of Big Chief upon crossing Mt. Watson road. It was a great way to go, almost 20 miles of singletrack to the bottom of Sawtooth in Truckee. The climb back up to the summit at the end of the ride hurt though. Should have left the car down by Northstar.
    For those who aren't aware, Dirt Gypsy Adventures is offering shuttles on Big Chief as well as the Tahoe Pyramid Trail. Both are running now, an they've got other routes that they'll be shuttling once higher elevation terrain melts out. I've used this outfit a handful of times. They've got some solid bike rentals to choose from as well and do guided tours in North Lake Tahoe. Super nice and helpful crew + a sick van! No more climbing back up to the summit.....if you don't want to.

mtbr member
    I'll call be up there next week and would love to ride Big Chief. I'm staying at Northstar, what would be the best route from there? Or it's best to drive to a trailhead? Is it well marked? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jmallory View Post
    I'll call be up there next week and would love to ride Big Chief. I'm staying at Northstar, what would be the best route from there? Or it's best to drive to a trailhead? Is it well marked? Thanks!
    You could take a lift up (Zephyr to the Watson Lake trail). From the bottom of lower Big Chief, you could ride back up the 06 to the top or catch Roads 700 & 900 back to Northstar. Itís mostly marked but youíll want a map.

Paper or plastic?
    Note that Big Chief has about 300' of climbing. Loose on top, rocky in many parts and fun berms at the end.