TRT south passable?

Printable View

• 08-01-2011
    ssdoc
    TRT south passable?
    Is the TRT south from star lake to Freel pass passable? Looks like there is still a fair amount of snow on Freel from the north shore. If still snowbound- any suggestions for a loop from SLT ending with the Armstrong descent minimizing road miles? Planning on riding it tomorrow.
  • 08-01-2011
    TahoeBC
    A week ago it looked like this

I rode up Armstrong and up the back side on the TRT to freel pass, then rode back down, so that's an option if your looking for the "Big" drop back to town.
  • 08-01-2011
    jimmybagadonuts
    Rode the same line as Tahoe BC yesterday. Looked like plenty of snow still there between the saddle and Star Lake. A couple weeks worth IMHO.
  • 08-01-2011
    ssdoc
    thanks, may give it a go tomorrow. which is the better climb- corral, cedar or fountain place road?
  • 08-01-2011
    jimmybagadonuts
    Powerline to railroad to cedar to sidewinder, road climb to armstrong trail, armstrong to the saddle, TRT to Freel saddle. Reverse and smile. Should be about 28mi RT.
  • 08-02-2011
    Okie Dokie
    ssdoc let us know how it looks on Freel.
  • 08-02-2011
    ssdoc
    still plenty of snow north of the pass. saw some backpackers and they said there were many patches between star lake and the pass. tough ride- great climb to armstrong pass, shaded and not too steep. freel climb another story- loose and steep. almost took myself out falling down the slope between the last hairpin and the pass trying to clean a rocky section. luckily just bruises and bent front rotor I was able to straighten. need more gears and a full suspension up here. the 1x9 hardtail should stay in the bay area! looks like a lot of work went into that downhill with all the berms from armstrong connector-sidewinder-cedar.

mark