Moderator Moderator

The Trials Bike Rabbit Hole

Where in NorCal do you ride? I'm thinking of getting a trials bike to learn something new, and/or bang myself up a bit more. Anyone around here have any experience, advice, tips they would like to share on bikes, riding in NorCal, etc? Also how did it improve your mountain biking?

The Trials Bike Rabbit Hole-echo-20-inch-mark-ti-pro-complete-trial-bike.jpg
    Last edited by 5k bike 50cent legs; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:35 AM.

Cheeseburgler
    I would get a BMX (or maybe DJ) instead. Much more versatile. Trials bikes are kinda silly unless you are planning to try and do competitive trials IMO.

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Man that bike looks like a ball buster waiting to happen.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gryphonics View Post
    I would get a BMX (or maybe DJ) instead. Much more versatile. Trials bikes are kinda silly unless you are planning to try and do competitive trials IMO.
    Unless you are really trying to go above intermediate level, a bmx or dj bike is much better. I struggled with rear wheel hop until i got a bmx, it was do much easier. 26” dj is the same, it made learning pedal hop easier, and you can hit jump spots with it. The problem with the trial specific bike is that unless you got many of the rear wheel moves down, you will feel like an over biked idiot pretty quick. Those move takes years to learn. Trialsin bike does make one or two moves easier, but I suggest getting the basic moves down before getting a very specific equipment like that. Same reason why most of us dont own a DH specific bike.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by NRP View Post
    Man that bike looks like a ball buster waiting to happen.
    I've been kneed in the balls so many times in Judo I don't even feel it anymore....almost!

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Loll View Post
    Unless you are really trying to go above intermediate level, a bmx or dj bike is much better. I struggled with rear wheel hop until i got a bmx, it was do much easier. 26” dj is the same, it made learning pedal hop easier, and you can hit jump spots with it. The problem with the trial specific bike is that unless you got many of the rear wheel moves down, you will feel like an over biked idiot pretty quick. Those move takes years to learn. Trialsin bike does make one or two moves easier, but I suggest getting the basic moves down before getting a very specific equipment like that. Same reason why most of us dont own a DH specific bike.
    One of the moves I really want to learn is a moving endo turn on steep switch backs. I would think the geometry and brakes on a trials bike would facilitate this?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Ymmv, but gut feeling tell me no. 20inch bike will make stationary pivot easier, but the nose wheelie part, the brake on a trialsin bike is too strong.

Seth bike hack has a video on this move.

mtbr member
    I'll echo everyone else and say, get a dirt jumper. Good at pump tracks, bmx tracks, dirt jumps, and your odd street smash. Any skill you would get from a dedicated trials bike you can get from a dirt jump bike but with much more versatility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moderator Moderator
    I'm leaning towards a full on trials bike as I'm planning to build a course at the house/office that I can play around on a little everyday. When I need a break from work or have a bit of time when I'm bored, I can hop out and get 10-15 minutes in here and there etc. I have a friend who literally built a skateboard half pipe inside his house for this reason! Similar idea.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    I'm leaning towards a full on trials bike as I'm planning to build a course at the house/office that I can play around on a little everyday. When I need a break from work or have a bit of time when I'm bored, I can hop out and get 10-15 minutes in here and there etc. I have a friend who literally built a skateboard half pipe inside his house for this reason! Similar idea.
    I'm building a pump track with some features in my backyard for that same reason. One side of it will likely have a 6' quarter pipe or a large wall ride.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Little_twin View Post
    I'm building a pump track with some features in my backyard for that same reason. One side of it will likely have a 6' quarter pipe or a large wall ride.

Schiiiiit, I'm coming over!

mtbr member
    Schiiiiit, I'm coming over!
    Might not be too fun on your trials bike.

Moderator Moderator
    Might not be too fun on your trials bike.

Ah, very good point!

mtbr member
    I'm not really sure why all the hate for a trials bike. If I could have 1/10th the trials skill as Danny MacAskill I could have fun on any trail, anywhere, anytime. Hop on logs, rocks, park benches... only limited by your imagination.

But to be fair, to get good will take a lot of time and dedication, which I don't have.

I do want a moto trials though.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    I'm not really sure why all the hate for a trials bike. If I could have 1/10th the trials skill as Danny MacAskill I could have fun on any trail, anywhere, anytime. Hop on logs, rocks, park benches... only limited by your imagination.

But to be fair, to get good will take a lot of time and dedication, which I don't have.

This is my thinking as well. The trials riders can session a park bench for hours. No need to drive to some exotic locale, it's all around you.

This is interesting, the trials bike has a fixed rear hub, the ratchet is in the bottom bracket.

mtbr member

I'm not sure hate is the right word for it.

A trials bike just has very specific and limited uses. The skills that the op is looking to gain can be had with a bike that is much more versatile especially for the area we live in. If dirt jumps and pump tracks weren't as prevalent as they are and we lived in the flat woods of the mid west then perhaps a trials bike would be more appropriate.

Also comparing to a moto trials bike is not quite fair. A moto trials bike can still be trail ridden and has a bit more versatility. I had a beta 280 with a long range tank and a high seat and while it was fun, it was still a novelty type bike. In the end I sold it because eventually it just seemed silly ride it and let my 200xc-w collect dust.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    No reason at all you can't do all of that on a regular mountain bike. Even McK usually seems to be on more of a street/trials rig than a modified; they're just too specialized to end up getting used much by most people IME.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Trials rocks! I really miss my trials bike...

Trials can be done on a mountain bike or dj, a dedicated trials bike just makes it easier to learn.

Versatility wise...not so versatile as everyone else said, go towards street trials bike over a dedicated trials bike, rolling moves are way easier to pull off and way easier to ride to a fun location over a dedicated trials bike.

mtbr member
    I've been considering a BMX or DJ bike. I'm not sure what would fit my application best though. I want to cruise around skateparks and street with the occasional pumptrack. I want to work on jumps mostly and mess around with dropping off bigger stuff on the street. I'm sure I can use my trail bike for that kinda stuff too but I'd rather reserve that for the trails...

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Anything that involves repetition and progression is good.

I think a dirt jump bike is better. Pump tracks and dirt jumps that allow one to get comfortable in the air are good. Pumping terrain out in real trails is one of the valuable skills today.

And... cornering is the greatest pursuit of all. It's easy to do but impossible to master.
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator
    Young Danny Macaskill on a seat less trials bike.

Upcyclist
    If you're gonna get into it, get Inspired!

Cool heads prevail

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    If you live near Stanford, you should get a trials bike. So many good little spots to session. There used to be Wednesday evening group “rides” that a few of us would attend, pretty fun alternative to mtb.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by EDRN911 View Post
    If you live near Stanford, you should get a trials bike. So many good little spots to session. There used to be Wednesday evening group “rides” that a few of us would attend, pretty fun alternative to mtb.
    Yep! I live about 1/2 miles from Stanford.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I picked up a czar 24” street trials bike a few years ago. Doesn’t see tons of use, but I drag it out every few weeks. WAY harder than it looks, but loads of fun and awesome training. Managed to learn skills that I’d been working at for years on a MTB and am a much better rider now. Worth every penny.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Seph View Post
    I picked up a czar 24” street trials bike a few years ago. Doesn’t see tons of use, but I drag it out every few weeks. WAY harder than it looks, but loads of fun and awesome training. Managed to learn skills that I’d been working at for years on a MTB and am a much better rider now. Worth every penny.
    It's interesting, I have friends who have been riding MTB for 20 years and can't ride a wheelie. Easy to get stuck in a rut on a MTB, I think the trials riding would force one out of a rut.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    It's interesting, I have friends who have been riding MTB for 20 years and can't ride a wheelie. Easy to get stuck in a rut on a MTB, I think the trials riding would force one out of a rut.
    Now 24” is a much better choice

Moderator Moderator
    Now 24” is a much better choice
    How so?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    How so?
    Is much closer to a 24” bmx, even some of the 26” trials bike from echo can be ridden some distance to sessioning spots. Also, you can use it at the skate bowl you often visit, better than a 20” no seater. 24 is smaller, and will make learning tricks easier, without going fully committed to a dedicated trials bike.

All we are trying to tell you is buy something that is flexible with the least compromise to your goal.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011

PICS!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Moderator Moderator
    Is much closer to a 24” bmx, even some of the 26” trials bike from echo can be ridden some distance to sessioning spots. Also, you can use it at the skate bowl you often visit, better than a 20” no seater. 24 is smaller, and will make learning tricks easier, without going fully committed to a dedicated trials bike.

All we are trying to tell you is buy something that is flexible with the least compromise to your goal.
    Yeah the skate bowl would be more fun on a 24".

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Seph View Post
    I'm probably going to buy the Czar Ion 24" after all the input here. Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm probably going to buy the Czar Ion 24" after all the input here. Thanks guys!
    I like the looks of that thing....hmmmm...
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    I like the looks of that thing....hmmmm...
    Just ordered mine from WebCyclery. Free shipping and no sales tax.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    We used to have a nice trials setup out the back of the LBS I grew up working at. No one had a trials bike all hard tails and most of us would use these cheap long and tall specialized stems to raise the bars up, made the front ends nice and light.

Moderator Moderator
    Rode through Stanford yesterday, there are a lot of places to session there and a lot of people riding MTB/trials/DJ bikes on session spots.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    So, if one were wanting to dabble (with a lot of dabbing, heh, get it?) in trials skills, what would be a good bike to get, on the lower end of the cost spectrum?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yeah the skate bowl would be more fun on a 24".

Trials in a skatepark always looks so awkward to me.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TwiceHorn View Post
    So, if one were wanting to dabble (with a lot of dabbing, heh, get it?) in trials skills, what would be a good bike to get, on the lower end of the cost spectrum?
    This is the one I bought, not sure about what is best as this is my first trials bike as well. It was about $1150, pretty expensive imho, but not much different from things I was seeing used factoring in shipping. Also, I wanted something strong, I'm 6'1" 200lbs at my heaviest during the off Judo season. The guys at WebCyclery assured me this is the one that would accomplish what I want, mix of trials, skatepark, DJ. Also, some great comments in this thread from guys who know more than me.

https://www.webcyclery.com/product/c...-bike-7484.htm

The Trials Bike Rabbit Hole-czar_ion_bike_24_black_1.jpg

Moderator Moderator
    Trials in a skatepark always looks so awkward to me.
    There's a guy who rides my local skatebowl, a 70s style flow park. It's a thing of beauty to watch how he flows and jumps.

The Trials Bike Rabbit Hole-palo_20alto-02.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    flows and jumps.
    I like the flowy and jumpy, it's the hoppy that seems out of place.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Moderator Moderator
    I like the flowy and jumpy, it's the hoppy that seems out of place.
    Send PM if any of you guys ever want to ride that park/bike.

Another park near me, have no clue who these guys are....youtube search...

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    This is the one I bought, not sure about what is best as this is my first trials bike as well. It was about $1150, pretty expensive imho, but not much different from things I was seeing used factoring in shipping. Also, I wanted something strong, I'm 6'1" 200lbs at my heaviest during the off Judo season. The guys at WebCyclery assured me this is the one that would accomplish what I want, mix of trials, skatepark, DJ. Also, some great comments in this thread from guys who know more than me.

https://www.webcyclery.com/product/c...-bike-7484.htm

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Czar_Ion_Bike_24_black_1.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	1222270
    Yeah, that's too rich for my blood. Rather than specific bikes, I was wondering like 24" BMX or something, a category of bikes, perhaps.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TwiceHorn View Post
    Yeah, that's too rich for my blood. Rather than specific bikes, I was wondering like 24" BMX or something, a category of bikes, perhaps.
    Pretty easy to make an old 26" HT into something that'll work. Small frame, high bars, decent brakes, you're off and running. Errr...hopping...
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Moderator Moderator
    Pretty easy to make an old 26" HT into something that'll work. Small frame, high bars, decent brakes, you're off and running. Errr...hopping...
    From what I've learned just reading about this, the chain stay length on a 26" HT is longer than a BMX/DJ/Trials bike, making it harder to manual and get hopping. Also the head tube angle on these bikes trials bikes is 73 degrees.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I have an old school modified trials bike that I’d be willing to let go for pretty cheap. 20 inch wheels, Magura hydraulic brakes, etc. PM me if interested. The garage is getting a little too full of bikes lol

Moderator Moderator
    I have an old school modified trials bike that I’d be willing to let go for pretty cheap. 20 inch wheels, Magura hydraulic brakes, etc. PM me if interested. The garage is getting a little too full of bikes lol
    Pics!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    From what I've learned just reading about this, the chain stay length on a 26" HT is longer than a BMX/DJ/Trials bike, making it harder to manual and get hopping. Also the head tube angle on these bikes trials bikes is 73 degrees.
    Depends on the bike. You can definitely pick up a ton of trials basics on a pretty standard MTB. Park riding though I'd say calls for a more specific machine.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I was kind of thinking that with a smaller frame and wheels, like a 24" freestyle bike, I might be able to pick up some things that are harder to do on a 29er FS and translate them to the bigger bike. Might be kind of fun in its own right without needing to actually do trials things. As in, I could live without the massive brake, etc.

Moderator Moderator
    I'm glad I listened to you guys and got the 24" hybrid DJ/Trials. Maiden voyage today, it is very, very strange to be back on a BMX bike after all these years. I can't believe I used to race these things with 20" wheels.

The Trials Bike Rabbit Hole-img_0266.jpg

mtbr member
    ^^^Shiiiinnnyyyy. I want one now. There seem to be a few trials spots abound where I live.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    now just go skim free CL for picnic tables, pallets, and big display boxes

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Pride View Post
    now just go skim free CL for picnic tables, pallets, and big display boxes
    Lol! Boulders man!

Moderator Moderator
    After about 5 hours of riding on this thing I've crashed more than in the past year on my MTB. With 74-degree head angle and short wheel base it handles like a formula one car with zero room for error, my MTB feels like a mini van in comparison. Pretty exhausting to ride due to the ultra low gearing and sensitivity in steering, but I'm starting getting the hang of it.