Trails & rental shop advice please- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Trails & rental shop advice please

Headed to San Fran and then up the coast for a week or two towards the end of this month and I need some advice on 1) The must ride trails 2) Where a good place to rent a bike is 3) Where should we go to get food and local beers post ride. I would consider myself to be an advanced or low end expert rider.
    The southern end of Humbolt county is as far north as we're planning on going...unless of course the suggestions I get here lead us farther north. ANY advice you folks could give a tourist from Western North Carolina would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Lots of advice in the Marin area I am sure. Here is mine:

I use The Village Peddler when I need to rent
    Village Peddler | Marin County Bike Shop

They rent Santa Cruz demo bikes for $80 for 2 days. You can get 2012 Tallboys etc, its high on the awesome. (I ride a Blur XC)

Generally if you want to go alone you are best taking Railroad Grade from Mill Valley, climbing to Indian Fire Road and bombing down the backside back to Mill Valley. Its about 1:30 hours (Standard Tam Loop below). I call it the Gary Fisher special, its where Mtn. Biking was invented.

MOST IMPORTANT: All Mt. Tam Rides end at Mill Valley Beerworks. Mill Valley Beerworks
    Walk in, sit down and when the barmaid approaches ask for a Speckled Hen and a Pastrami sandwich. You have just become a local.

Here are my usual Marin Rides.
    Standard Mt Tam Loop (wrap front of mountain, not around). Mt. Tam in Mill Valley, CA | Bike Map | MapMyRIDE

Standard Mt. Tam Loop but a short detour to West Point Inn (great views, worth it). Mt. Tam via West Point Inn in Mill Valley, CA | Bike Map | MapMyRIDE

Mt. Tam to East Peak and down the back side (Eldridge Trail). Rocky and more technical and tons of fun Mt. Tam via Eldridge in Mill Valley, CA | Bike Map | MapMyRIDE

EPIC ride, everything the Headlands has to offer. Railroad Grade, up Tam, to West Point, down to Pan Toll, across to Coastal View trail and down into Muir Woods. Beers at Pelican Inn and then up Dias Ridge back into Mill Valley. This can be a soul crusher but its amazing Mt. Tam to Coastal View to Pelican Inn and up Diaz Ridge in Mill Valley, CA | Bike Map | MapMyRIDE

Its also our standard NightRide with some awesome poachable single track. Headlands at Nite in Sausalito, CA | Bike Map | MapMyRIDE

Finally, if you can go a bit more north China Camp is AWESOME for a mellow flowy easy climb but super fun ride. Its where I cut my teeth and is Beginner/Intermediate and a TOTAL blast. China Camp in San Rafael, CA | Bike Map | MapMyRIDE

And never forget Anandale State Park. YUMMY. You get up there where only bikers go and you can ride as long as you want. Awesome technical climbing with bombing downhills that are rocky and fun. Love it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Siberian 1969-
    Thanks for the info! I'll be sure check out Village Peddler and go get the beer and sandwich from Mill Valley Beerworks!

mtbr member
    I would ride Tamarancho at least one day in Marin. It's pretty short, 8 miles, but it's the best legal, easily accessible single track you will find in marin. It's fun and a loop in both directions is a solid ride in most people's books. The trail is about a 4 mile flat road ride from Village Peddler and Sunshine Bikes in Fairfax (which is closer) also rents bikes.
    Previously known as mttamrnr.