fc
    head minion Administrator

Trail tool - saws, shovels, picks

Want to carry a few in my pack to help fix damage and shore up drains as the active weather starts.

Any recommendations? Only do so when safe and allowed of course.

Trail tool - saws, shovels, picks-61wnovizyrl._sl1236_.jpg
    mini pick. $13 at amazon

Trail tool - saws, shovels, picks-htb1udygifxxxxaiapxxq6xxfxxxv.jpg
    camping kit

Trail tool - saws, shovels, picks-img_0774.heic.jpg

just got this little Gerber shovel

Trail tool - saws, shovels, picks-img_4934.jpg
    I have a bunch of silky saws. So good.

Reviews and recommendations please? Hopefully fit in a big hydration pack.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have the TrailBoss Mcleod , a Corona 10 inch curved folding saw that fits in my pack and I can do most work with just that set up.

Cheeseburgler
    Has anyone used those saws that are on a chain? (Not an actual chainsaw) About as portable as it gets. I was thinking about getting one to ride with and clean up smaller trees that fall. Not sure how well they work though.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by gryphonics View Post
    Has anyone used those saws that are on a chain? (Not an actual chainsaw) About as portable as it gets. I was thinking about getting one to ride with and clean up smaller trees that fall. Not sure how well they work though.
    I just got one as t.max handed me one at TNGR. It's ideal for 2-man but I tried it the other day on a 4 inch branch, with just me going on t a u-cut on the log. Worked awesome.Name:  aef03add7043154c60c0e882ad7d1d00--hand-chain-saw-hiking-gear.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  20.9 KB
    IPA will save America

default title
    Mar 2008
    If I can't clear drains with scuffing up the duff with my shoes I leave the dirt alone for a trailwork day.

All drainage problems do not have the same answer and some well intentioned but unauthorized trailwork creates more work later.

If it's someplace that doesn't have official trailwork then you're on your own to decide remediation.

I usually just carry a saw unless I am going out specifically to do authorized trailwork. - Then I'll have my trailboss (rogue hoe, mccloud, shovel), a few different saws and maybe my pulaski.
    "My opinions are often more offensive than my *******." - Twindaddy

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Suh-weet!
    Going to put it to the test here soon...
    Cannot wait for the Winter!

"I just got one as t.max handed me one at TNGR. It's ideal for 2-man but I tried it the other day on a 4 inch branch, with just me going on t a u-cut on the log. Worked awesome."

Moderator Moderator
    Get a copy of this book if you can find one.

Trail tool - saws, shovels, picks-img_6674.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kattrap View Post
    All drainage problems do not have the same answer and some well intentioned but unauthorized trailwork creates more work later.

False.

Uninformed, rather than unauthorized work, can create more work later. Nobody would condone somebody heading out and moving dirt without knowing what they're doing.
    Velofix.com for mobile bike repair in Sac

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Want to carry a few in my pack to help fix damage and shore up drains as the active weather starts.

Good on you for setting a proper example! And thanks in advance for puttin in work.

I gotta say though, for a man of your stature within the trail community, you oughta ditch the Fisher Price tools you posted and step up to something legit:

Trail Boss - Packable Trail Building Tools | Packable Trail Building McLeod Head, Rakes, Shovels

https://nevercomingbackmtb.com/t/tools

That being said, Ive never used any of the above, cuz Im cheap,broke, and typically walk in for trailwork with fullsize tools, but often lust after the thought of having them someday.
    Velofix.com for mobile bike repair in Sac

Moderator Moderator
    Most drains need to be cleared too often because they were built too small in the first place. Novice trail builders are deathly afraid of touching the tread of a trail. A pair of leather gloves and boots can clear 99% of most clogged drains. If you have to use tools, use full sized tools. Make drains about 2x-3x bigger than you think they should be and they will probably still be too small.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanxj View Post
    Good on you for setting a proper example! And thanks in advance for puttin in work.

I gotta say though, for a man of your stature within the trail community, you oughta ditch the Fisher Price tools you posted and step up to something legit:

Trail Boss - Packable Trail Building Tools | Packable Trail Building McLeod Head, Rakes, Shovels

That being said, Ive never used any of the above, cuz Im cheap,broke, and typically walk in for trailwork with fullsize tools, but often lust after the thought of having them someday.
    I'm of very short stature.

Trail Boss has offered to send me their tools. I will take them up on it.

I'll also get that book 5k!!
    IPA will save America

graps the nettle
    Aug 2005
    I'm of very short stature.

Trail Boss has offered to send me their tools. I will take them up on it.

I'll also get that book 5k!!
    I sure am glad someone else said it first!

Those toy tools you posted up at the start of the thread remind me of stepside pickup trucks. They look like a great idea for someone who doesn't really want to do any real work.

TRAIL BUILDER - EVOC - PROTECTIVE SPORTS PACKS

heavy pack, carry some effective tools, decide whether you want to go on a ride and peck at the dirt to feel good about yourself or use your bike to haul some tools to go do some work. #shovelfit is a thing. All above comments about quality information, knowing when and where to work, and learning alongside people who really know what they are doing still apply.
    hold my beer...

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by MtotheF View Post
    I sure am glad someone else said it first!

Those toy tools you posted up at the start of the thread remind me of stepside pickup trucks. They look like a great idea for someone who doesn't really want to do any real work.

TRAIL BUILDER - EVOC - PROTECTIVE SPORTS PACKS

heavy pack, carry some effective tools, decide whether you want to go on a ride and peck at the dirt to feel good about yourself or use your bike to haul some tools to go do some work. #shovelfit is a thing. All above comments about quality information, knowing when and where to work, and learning alongside people who really know what they are doing still apply.
    I was just wondering about how to carry these safely. I'm using an ebike (lolz) so I can handle the weight.

Purpose-built packs with a back protector is a good thing.
    IPA will save America

fc
    One of my buds has the same shovel I have (Gerber) but feels it's too heavy for his weenie self. So he changed the blade to aluminum and the handle to carbon. Crazy but that's his line of work.

Trail tool - saws, shovels, picks-22051184_10155690622439376_1560646911446816240_o.jpg
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator
    FC, talk to Matt and gang down at MBOSC about taking the Trail Crew Leader class. It is an excellent class on trail building and design. I think there is a class series coming up in a week!

Trail Crew Leader Training – Mountain Bikers of Santa Cruz

just another bleepin SSer
    Surprised it hasn't been brought up, but not all trail managers are happy with people doing unauthorized (whether informed or uninformed) trail work on their lands. MROSD, in particular, takes a harsh stance and could try to hit you with unauthorized trail building (a misdemeanor) just for having tools on you. This comes from a history off unauthorized (often informed, and quite fun to ride) trail building at Skeggs.
    --
    Getting old, fat, and slow...
    自転車が好きだよ

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    FC, talk to Matt and gang down at MBOSC about taking the Trail Crew Leader class. It is an excellent class on trail building and design. I think there is a class series coming up in a week!

Trail Crew Leader Training – Mountain Bikers of Santa Cruz
    Will do.

Man, Demo Forest wants to show me their logging operation on Thursday. I want to go but it will take all day. Sigh.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I just got one as t.max handed me one at TNGR. It's ideal for 2-man but I tried it the other day on a 4 inch branch, with just me going on t a u-cut on the log. Worked awesome.Name:  aef03add7043154c60c0e882ad7d1d00--hand-chain-saw-hiking-gear.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  20.9 KB
    I can vouch for these sorts of saws. I used it to clear some big branches out of the way of a steep flowy local trail. Sadly I haven't even been able to ride the trail at all after doing this lol.

Moderator Moderator
    Will do.

Man, Demo Forest wants to show me their logging operation on Thursday. I want to go but it will take all day. Sigh.
    Bring some tissues, as they may be logging Sawpit.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Bring some tissues, as they may be logging Sawpit.
    That's exactly where it is.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanxj View Post

holy crap! That trail boss saw is badass.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomchakabowwow View Post
    holy crap! That trail boss saw is badass.
    The saw is just a Corona blade. What impressive are the handles and the other accessories.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    i know that.(it says "corona" on the blade in the pics)^^ the corona blades are very very good.

and i would destroy any one of those shovels.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomchakabowwow View Post
    i know that.(it says "corona" on the blade in the pics)^^ the corona blades are very very good.

and i would destroy any one of those shovels.
    The Trail Boss shovels or our little pooper shovels?
    IPA will save America

fc

Trail Boss and Ebike. It is a cool combo indeed. Cause riding with my Silky Katanaboy deep in the woods is no joke.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    The Trail Boss shovels or our little pooper shovels?
    haha..

i am on my third real shovel. tearing out bamboo..i break them fairly regularly.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Just picked up this folding saw. (Mostly for cutting my way out of canyons at the Creek on motos), but also plan to help maintain/build some of my local trails.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ I have that exact saw. It is very, very sharp and stays sharp.

fc
    This is a timely bump.

It is tooooooooo wet to ride in most places now for the next week.

It is a good time hike, clear branches, trees where allowed and where you can hike without damaging the soil. Observe where water is trapped or pooling and cut some drains.
    IPA will save America

default title
    Mar 2008
    I like to have a dedicated cheap saw for sawing at ground level / dirt.. the fastest way to dull the blades.

I had the single bolt come out mid-tree on one of those folding coronas - It might be worth it to throw some loctite in there before you loose the bolt in a pile of wet leaf and debris.

mtbr member
    I like to have a dedicated cheap saw for sawing at ground level / dirt.. the fastest way to dull the blades.

I had the single bolt come out mid-tree on one of those folding coronas - It might be worth it to throw some loctite in there before you loose the bolt in a pile of wet leaf and debris.
    Ok, will do. I do love me some Loctite.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    This is a timely bump.

It is tooooooooo wet to ride in most places now for the next week.

It is a good time hike, clear branches, trees where allowed and where you can hike without damaging the soil. Observe where water is trapped or pooling and cut some drains.

-Good call FC! Myself & other will be doing just this at Toro Park this Sunday!!!

I WANT that LEVO with the tools BTW!!!
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

mtbr member
    There are some big trunks (16-20") across some of my favorite trails after this last set of storms and I want to do some clearing..... Chainsaw would be optimal of course. What do you think, axe or saw? Both?

This looks like a decent lightweight chopping axe that would fit in a pack. It will take awhile to get through the bigger stuff but seems like more fun than a saw.

Fiskars Chopping Axe (28")

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Halfabrain View Post
    There are some big trunks (16-20") across some of my favorite trails after this last set of storms and I want to do some clearing..... Chainsaw would be optimal of course. What do you think, axe or saw? Both?

This looks like a decent lightweight chopping axe that would fit in a pack. It will take awhile to get through the bigger stuff but seems like more fun than a saw.

Fiskars Chopping Axe (28")
    Do you have a Silky Bigboy 2000? Depending on the condition of the tree, this saw can easily cut up to 20-24" logs. Just have to remember its a pull saw and maybe take a wedge or two.

Moderator Moderator
    Silky Katanaboy without question if you have a lot of clearing to do, a BigBoy would be my second choice. I timed it, it took us 5 minutes per cut on this log.

Name:  tree.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  179.6 KB

I have one of those Fiskar axes, it's light and will work, but will take you 4x as long.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    What are the folding shovel options, other than the Gerber one (looks decent, will snag that if I don't get better suggestions)? I'd like something I can carry in a Camelbak for clearing/cutting drains on trails without soaking my shoes; the trail boss is awesome but too much money for me. I've been using a cheap little spade from Ace Hardware, but I'd like something with a little more power that I wouldn't have to kneel in mud to use.

Moderator Moderator
    I have one of these, it's bombproof. I use it a lot when doing rockwork. Fits in a camelback.

https://www.amazon.com/Mil-Tec-Germa...17615530&psc=1

Before I had a Trail Boss, I also removed the handle from an entrenching tool, and made a slightly longer one that bolted in with wingnuts, so I wouldn't have to kneel when using it as a hoe.

These are good too, but harder to stick in a pack.

https://www.acehardware.com/departme...EaAgtdEALw_wcB

The Gerber and fake entrenching tools are junk.

Ah, I see you're already using the little spade, nvmd on that one.

mtbr member
    I bought one of these a couple of years ago. I like it because it's bigger than the foldable shovels and it packs small when broken down. And it's not terribly expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

mtbr member
    Been using the trail boss for a few years now, I can fit an entire mcleod in my camelback mule, also have a couple other heads I can attach, not cheap but when it takes me over an hour to get to a work zone riding in its worth it!

Finally got a silky bigboy late summer, third day I used it the bolt that holds the blade on fell out and never could find it in the duff. Company never got back to me when I emailed them for replacement parts, kinda bummed. Guess Ill just find something at the hardware store and try to make it work again

default title
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    Been using the trail boss for a few years now, I can fit an entire mcleod in my camelback mule, also have a couple other heads I can attach, not cheap but when it takes me over an hour to get to a work zone riding in its worth it!
    Do you have either of the shovel heads? I'm wondering what the pack size is vs the McLeod & 55A Rogue Hoe attachments..

mtbr member
    Do you have either of the shovel heads? I'm wondering what the pack size is vs the McLeod & 55A Rogue Hoe attachments..
    I only have the McLeod, Rogue hoe and the saw head. Have not had a real need for the shovelhead yet. I can put the rogue in my pack, its a fair bit heavier than the McLeod head though.

Moderator Moderator
    https://trailbossusa.com/product/round-head-shovel/

I also have a collapsible handle and a couple of tool heads from here: https://jrfiretools.com/

Cheaper, and the handle is larger and less prone to come loose, but it's larger and harder to pack. The trailboss has more trailbuilding specific heads as well.

Our trail org has @ 20 sets of trailbosses, the small mcleod head is the most versatile, followed by the rogue hoe. We have one 2.5lb pick head, which is killer, and a couple of the 2lb pick mattocks, which are ok. No need for shovels here either.