Trail recommendations for Contra Costa County area?- Mtbr.com

Jan 2006

Trail recommendations for Contra Costa County area?

My wife and I are new to the sport and now that things have dried out here we are looking for some trails in our area or a place to get some trail maps.

Any info would be appreciated, thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by General Kenobi
    My wife and I are new to the sport and now that things have dried out here we are looking for some trails in our area or a place to get some trail maps.

Welcome to MTBR.com, and welcome to the ever additive world of Mountain Biking..

Where in Contra Costa Country are you located? We can give you better recommendations around your area, as well the surrounding areas.

-Larry
    You only live once, but if you work it right, once is enough.

-Joe Louis

Jan 2006
    Thanks for the warm welcome!

I live in Pleasant Hill and have heard there are some trails around here (up behind DVC) and in the Martinez/Lafayette areas but I don't know where and the LBS near me really didn't have any trail maps

mtbr member

Ahhhhh

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I live in Pleasant Hill and have heard there are some trails around here (up behind DVC) and in the Martinez/Lafayette areas but I don't know where and the LBS near me really didn't have any trail maps
    Your man would be Dan'ger (AKA Dan, AKA new daddy!) as I am new to the East Bay my wife and I moved to Alamo in October 05 and I am still learning the trail system here. I am not sure about behind DVC or Lafayette area. I can lead you guys in Shell Ridge Open Space (just returned from there) and around Mt.Diablo if you wanted to meet for a ride sometime. Shell Ridge I think is a great place to start for new riders. It's fire roads and not too much climbing, but there are some ruts to negotiate to keep your attention.

Here's a good map of Shell Ridge: http://www.ebparks.org/resources/pdf...thills_map.pdf

If you guys want company I am sure I can roundup a few riders here and we can meet at Shell Ridge for a morning ride sometime.

(Love your avatar!)

-Larry
    You only live once, but if you work it right, once is enough.

-Joe Louis

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    in lafayette/martinez area the big park is briones, a 5000 acre regional park with tons of fireroads and a bit of other stuff we won't talk about. lots of big climbs, fun descents and ridgeline riding.

welcome to the area, keep your eyes peeled on this board as there are tons of rides all over the east bay (and the rest of the area too).

if you felt like venturing out a bit i'd highly recommend china camp in marin and the marin headlands.

Feeling a little taller
    Quote Originally Posted by LJ0913
    Your man would be Dan'ger (AKA Dan, AKA new daddy!) as I am new to the East Bay my wife and I moved to Alamo in October 05 and I am still learning the trail system here. I am not sure about behind DVC or Lafayette area. I can lead you guys in Shell Ridge Open Space (just returned from there) and around Mt.Diablo if you wanted to meet for a ride sometime. Shell Ridge I think is a great place to start for new riders. It's fire roads and not too much climbing, but there are some ruts to negotiate to keep your attention.

Here's a good map of Shell Ridge: http://www.ebparks.org/resources/pdf...thills_map.pdf

If you guys want company I am sure I can roundup a few riders here and we can meet at Shell Ridge for a morning ride sometime.

(Love your avatar!)

-Larry
    Thanks, Larry - I thought I felt my ears burning!

Pleasant hill is a relatively small town but is close to some good cardio type riding and some muck-around dirt jumps. I usually hit DVC a couple of times a week for a short urban session on the stairs, quad tables and benches and brick planter areas.

In the city of Martinez, close to the border with Pleasant Hill are 2 small parks - Paso Nogal and Hidden Lakes/Hidden Valley. For me, either of these parks is a patch of dirt for a less than 1 hr ride round trip from my garage.

Paso Nogal is on the other side of Morello from DVC - just keep riding uphill to the west and you can't miss it. It's a relatively unexciting park with wide trails covered in gravel but there are some nice narrow trails and a rock face that are fun to play on for beginners or just for a short ride.

Hidden Lakes/Hidden Valley is also off of Morello, slightly farther north. Again, fairly unexciting unless you can find the singletrack near the west "lake" or the dirt jumps south of the east "lake."

The Canal Trail has some little fun bits along it to get some air but be careful of the rollerbladers and strollers as the days get nicer. Look for the white earbuds in the ears to be sure that no matter how loud you call out, you are going to scare someone.

Acalanes Ridge, Shell Ridge, Borges Ranch, Briones, Mt. Diablo, Rockville and so many many more parks are within riding distance and/or a short drive from home.

A group of us ride at Briones out of the Alhambra Creek staging area almost every Tuesday night starting between 5:30 and 7pm depending on work schedules - we post these rides here before we ride.

Also, look for BTCEB rides. Many of them are in the immediate area and are of various ability levels.

Look forward to seeing you out there!
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I don't mean to sound like a wise guy, but check out the very large mountain that dominates the scenery in most of CoCo county (Mt Diablo!)

Ride up to the junction, buy a map and explore the trails. Dan Cook is where I would start.

Jan 2006
    Thanks for all the help! I'll look into these!

I try to steer clear of Mt. Diablo just becasue of how many people are usually there but I'm sure there are some areas that are less popular for general that would be better for riding.

I'll keep my eyes open for the ride posts, sounds like a lot of fun. We may check out Briones or Shell Ridge today.

Anyaways, thanks again!

Members who have read this thread: 0