The Trail Princess has agreed... South Yuba Shuttle Run?- Mtbr.com
    OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee

The Trail Princess has agreed... South Yuba Shuttle Run?

Fiona The Trail Princess has agreed to drive shuttle this Sunday. Is anyone interested in riding the ENTIRE South Yuba trail plus a bit??? We would have room for Fiona, Myself, and 5 other guys/ gals plus bikes (tight). We would park any extra cars at Edwards Crossing and then cruise up to Pioneer Trail and ride Pioneer trail to Alfa Road (a dirt road that goes from highway 20 down to Washington) and ride the entire South Yuba trail. I'm thinking something like 25 miles total and it will be a net downhill... but there will be a ton of climbing and some (from what I've heard) technical exposed riding in the middle. If someone has an alternate ride that will incorporate the South Yuba that you think would be better let me know.

For those who haven't ridden this trail this is very likely the best trail that isn't under 15' of snow. So, let the bidding start...

And this is a rough ride so please be ready for 25+ miles of technical riding with 2500'+ of climbing.

Any Takers?

Oh and if anyone is interested in a mellow beginners ride... maybe 10-15 miles on Pioneer trail The Trail Princess and I are going to be riding there on Saturday

And yes we were just at South Yuba... So what.
    Last edited by Ogre; 04-19-2006 at 11:09 PM.

mtbr member

Wow

yummy....looks like I'm ditching out of the Tamarancho ride to go do this....

Dennis....why not leave cars at Purdon crossing....your missing a couple miles of trail here....are we starting at the east end of Pioneer?

Lets see a map!!!

s
    :p

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

To Purdon

Definitely include the stretch to Purdon... that is the best section of the entire trail!

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee

Missed that stretch

Quote Originally Posted by bigboulder
    yummy....looks like I'm ditching out of the Tamarancho ride to go do this....

Dennis....why not leave cars at Purdon crossing....your missing a couple miles of trail here....are we starting at the east end of Pioneer?

Lets see a map!!!

s
    Well the best map I have of the route is from The Fish's Page I can't like directly to the map because he uses frames (ugh). Scroll down on the left and click on S. Yuba Trail.

I am definitely up for extra miles on the South Yuba trail. How far is it from Edwards Crossing to Purdon Crossing? I need to get some decent Topo's of this route!! Maybe we can just have The Trail Princess drop us off in Washington.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

More

Edwards to Purdon adds about 4-5 miles of fantastic trail with lots of exposed sections over the river. Another map:

http://www.blm.gov/ca/pdfs/folsom_pd...ubamapsm00.pdf

mtbr member

Edwards to Purdon

5 miles.....

Anyone know the distance from Washington to Purdon

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Washington to Purdon is about 23 miles or so.

mtbr member

I like the idea

of including Pioneer trail.....

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee

Perfect

Quote Originally Posted by memine
    Washington to Purdon is about 23 miles or so.
    23 miles, that's perfect. We can have her drop us in Washington then, that should be a great ride. If we still have any energy left after this ride we can talk about extending it next time around.

mtbr member

Come on now....

Quote Originally Posted by 0gre
    23 miles, that's perfect. We can have her drop us in Washington then, that should be a great ride. If we still have any energy left after this ride we can talk about extending it next time around.
    Adding the 3/4 of theP trail and the downhill ride to Washington won't add much to this ride....

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee

Topo Anyone?

Adding the 3/4 of theP trail and the downhill ride to Washington won't add much to this ride....
    Ok twist my arm behind my back. Start at the Omega Rest stop?

mtbr member

No no no

I say start at the west end (the store) and head east to Washington rd.

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee

Done

I say start at the west end (the store) and head east to Washington rd.
    That was my original plan so it suits me fine... except take Alfa Road instead of Washington Road... (Dirt instead of Asphalt). I got confused in the middle somewhere.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

I've done the entire South Yuba Shuttle

Starting at the Omega Rest Stop, down Alpha Road to Washington, then following the South Yuba trail to Edward's Crossing.

As I recall, it's about 32 miles. It seems like more... we had some very tired people after that run. Poison oak galore... but maybe it's not too bad yet.

Alpha Road is a bit of a drag... it's a steep downhill road, you're squeezing your brakes the whole time... it's too steep to let them go. Be sure to take a minute to check out the old Alpha and Omega mining sites.

The South Yuba out of Washington is excellent. It's a bit more rugged than the Missouri Bar > Edward's section... but lots and lots of sweet track.

Enjoy!!

Much later this summer, I'm planning the massive Grouse Ridge > Spaulding > Pioneer Trail > Alpha Road > Washington > South Yuba to Purdon's Crossing... that will be a two-day ride!
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

mtbr member

This sounds better....

after reading Brah's description.....how bout we start at white cloud and ride pioneer to Omega....then down alfa road....this chops off about 5.5 miles.

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by Brah
    ... Poison oak galore... but maybe it's not too bad yet.

Ha!!!!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

Medium?
    Well the best map I have of the route is from The Fish's Page I can't like directly to the map because he uses frames.
    Huh?

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee

I'm not familiar with Pioneer trail

after reading Brah's description.....how bout we start at white cloud and ride pioneer to Omega....then down alfa road....this chops off about 5.5 miles.
    I've never been up that far on Pineer trail, I did hear that the downhill from the Omega Rest Stop is supposed to be technical and fun. Since most of this route is unfamiliar to me I was trying to be conservative. That said, you know more about these trails, if you want to climb that section first and are comfortable with that route, then I'm game.

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee

Linked images

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    Huh?
    I don't generally link images that I don't own unless I ask permission first. Some people get touchy about using their possibly copyrighted content on other pages.

You know all your messages are signed "-- Finch Platte"?

mtbr member

The section from

I've never been up that far on Pineer trail, I did hear that the downhill from the Omega Rest Stop is supposed to be technical and fun. Since most of this route is unfamiliar to me I was trying to be conservative. That said, you know more about these trails, if you want to climb that section first and are comfortable with that route, then I'm game.
    White Cloud to Omega is pretty easy, short and fun...I don't know anything about Alpha Road to Washington though

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Snow

You guys won't be riding on Pioneer or Alpha this weekend or anytime soon. There is a LOT of snow up there still. Best to start in Washington.

Allways ride safe!!
    Jan 2004

I'm interested

I wanna go, I wanna go, please, please, please!
    Stand back! I don't know how big this thing gets!

Radio Commercial

Medium?
    I don't generally link images that I don't own unless I ask permission first.
    I'm not quite so diplomatic.

Some people get touchy about using their possibly copyrighted content on other pages.
    - AFAIC, If you post 'em on the web, they're in the public domain.
    - I'm not using anyone's images to make money.
    - Google does it with every image on the whole internet.
    - Ever heard of Fair Use?

mtbr member
    The Pioneer Trail is just pure fun. On the Fun-o-Meter, I rate it as a 8.
    Knocking 2 points on being too close to HWY 20 at times. The trail is not technical at all, it's just a blast of a ride. Best of all, there is a Pizza place at the end of the trail with some killer beer.

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee

Well about Googles Thumbnails

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    I'm not quite so diplomatic.

- AFAIC, If you post 'em on the web, they're in the public domain.
    - I'm not using anyone's images to make money.
    - Google does it with every image on the whole internet.
    - Ever heard of Fair Use?
    Fair Use is an old world concept going by the wayside with Digital Rights Management, Copy Protection, DMCA, Broadcast Flag... the list goes on. All of our so called "Fair Use" rights are being pissed away in Washington as we speak.
    "LOS ANGELES A federal court judge has concluded that an image search service run by Google Inc. infringes on the copyrights of adult entertainment company Perfect 10 Inc. by displaying small versions of its images in search results."
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,185635,00.html

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Heck, yeah!

Fiona The Trail Princess has agreed to drive shuttle this Sunday. Is anyone interested in riding the ENTIRE South Yuba trail plus a bit??? We would have room for Fiona, Myself, and 5 other guys/ gals plus bikes (tight). We would park any extra cars at Edwards Crossing and then cruise up to Pioneer Trail and ride Pioneer trail to Alfa Road (a dirt road that goes from highway 20 down to Washington) and ride the entire South Yuba trail. I'm thinking something like 25 miles total and it will be a net downhill... but there will be a ton of climbing and some (from what I've heard) technical exposed riding in the middle. If someone has an alternate ride that will incorporate the South Yuba that you think would be better let me know.

For those who haven't ridden this trail this is very likely the best trail that isn't under 15' of snow. So, let the bidding start...

And this is a rough ride so please be ready for 25+ miles of technical riding with 2500'+ of climbing.

Any Takers?

Oh and if anyone is interested in a mellow beginners ride... maybe 10-15 miles on Pioneer trail The Trail Princess and I are going to be riding there on Saturday

And yes we were just at South Yuba... So what.
    I'm totally down with riding the length of the S Yuba Trail, but like someone else said, we probably want to start down at Washington. The ride from White cloud to Omega is great, but I'm sure it's covered in snow, Unless we are doing some road miles.

Jeff

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Snow shouldn't be a problem

I just looked at the spot on GoogleEarth... the Omega Rest Stop is at appx 4500 feet... which should be out of the snow range. Even if there was a little snow, you'd drop out of it quickly.

Alpha road is the way to go. Starting in Washington is a drag, because it takes a lot longer to shuttle people into Washington. Washington Road is a long, twisty road, so it takes a while in a car. If you left a car there, it would take that much more time to get back to it.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    I just looked at the spot on GoogleEarth... the Omega Rest Stop is at appx 4500 feet... which should be out of the snow range. Even if there was a little snow, you'd drop out of it quickly.

Alpha road is the way to go. Starting in Washington is a drag, because it takes a lot longer to shuttle people into Washington. Washington Road is a long, twisty road, so it takes a while in a car. If you left a car there, it would take that much more time to get back to it.
    Have you been there lately? When I drove past there a week ago there was plenty of snow at Whitecloud. Not saying it is definitly clear now, but I'd go with a visual confirmation. But either way, I guess you could just stick to the road, I just thought that trying to do that section of the Pioneer trail could just turn into a road ride on 20.

But hey, I'll meet wherever, we can always adjust plans accordingly.

Is there room for me?

Jeff

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Haven't been there lately

So no, I can't say for sure whether there's snow or not.

I'm not going on the ride (I'm going snowboarding) but have a great ride!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Snow and More Snow

This is completely wrong. There is a ton of snow up there right now and the last thing you want is to be stuck riding on the side of Highway 20 for miles when there are huge banks of snow on the shoulder.

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee

Heck Yeah

Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    Have you been there lately? When I drove past there a week ago there was plenty of snow at Whitecloud. Not saying it is definitly clear now, but I'd go with a visual confirmation. But either way, I guess you could just stick to the road, I just thought that trying to do that section of the Pioneer trail could just turn into a road ride on 20.

But hey, I'll meet wherever, we can always adjust plans accordingly.

Is there room for me?
    Heck yeah

So far I have Big B, Jilm, Finch, Kapusta, FE?? you coming or not? IMJPS?

So maybe one spot left. We are meeting in Auburn at the Target on Bell Road at 9:00AM and at Purdon Crossing at 10:00AM where we will leave all the other vehicles. Kapusta can check out the snow situation as he's coming in and we can make the call about starting on Pioneer or in Washington the morning of the ride. Someone know how to get to Purdon Crossing that can post directions?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by memine
    This is completely wrong. There is a ton of snow up there right now and the last thing you want is to be stuck riding on the side of Highway 20 for miles when there are huge banks of snow on the shoulder.
    MEIMINE would know I would trust what he says!
    Here is another local suggestion. Start in Washington ride to purdon, given the snow situation. You will hate it! It's all awesome singletrack & you will be tired when your done FYI, there is new Burrito place in Nevada City, Tortilla Grill. Have fun
    Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

President of the Internet

What is not under snow?

So the Pioneer Trail is under snow?

And so the the S. Yuba?

What about Bullards Bar?

I haven't ridden in that area in a few years (lived in OR), are there any other trails in the Nevada City area that are ridable? I was just thinking I wanted ride in that area...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Widgeontrail
    So the Pioneer Trail is under snow? YES some parts on the upper trail
    And so the the S. Yuba?- No snow

What about Bullards Bar?- No snow

I haven't ridden in that area in a few years (lived in OR), are there any other trails in the Nevada City area that are ridable? I was just thinking I wanted ride in that area...
    this time of year S YUBA, Bullars, Round MT would be the best spots
    Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

mtbr member

Info Overload

Quote Originally Posted by merlin
    MEIMINE would know I would trust what he says!
    Here is another local suggestion. Start in Washington ride to purdon, given the snow situation. You will hate it! It's all awesome singletrack & you will be tired when your done FYI, there is new Burrito place in Nevada City, Tortilla Grill. Have fun
    We sure got our share of info...but the most important nugget is from you merlin....A burritto place in Nev City! We drove all the way to Mckinght Rd last weekend to get our burritto....

mtbr member

I'll see ya at Target

I guess we should listen to John since he is most likely to know the scoop...I was thinking last night that it would be unlikely to see very much snow at that elevation but I guess I was wrong. Probably the best course of action is to survey the situation as we head up 20 to alpha road....I really don't relish the thought of driving all the way to Washington when we can ride down the road....that should be clear....so worse case scenerio is we start at the top of Alpha

see ya sunday

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

You should be able to eyeball it easily enough

The top of Alpha Road is appx 4500', and you're dropping almost 2000' into Washington.

Look for snow on the Road itself, not just what you're seeing while you're on Hwy 20. If there is snow on the road, it won't last for long, since you're dropping elevation pretty quick.

If that doesn't work, ride Washington Road into Washington... Washington Road is a good paved road, it will be clear of snow. Riding Washington Road will be as fast (or faster) than driving it.

A great place for after ride food is "The Willows" on Hwy 49 near North Bloomfield Road. It's kind of a roadhouse w/ bbq steaks, chicken, etc. You can even save $0.50 if you BBQ yourself! Lots of food, cheap prices, cheap beer.

Medium?

Oh Crap! Where's FP?

Maybe someone better talk to the people over at missing persons. How could he resist this thread? Anyone know the name of the place he works so I can stop by and heckle him tomorrow?

mtbr member

Thanx Brah

The Willows!

mtbr member

The Wood Shed

Heckle away!

Caca pasa

So, what's the latest?

Dennis- are you up there now? Is that why you aren't answering your phone?

What time are we meeting and where's the final meeting place?

Gilligan
    tRump is SCUM.

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Crap! I have to bail.

Something has come up and I am not going to be able to meet up with you guys. I may still get down there, but it will be later in the day.

I'm sorry to bail at the last minute and especially sorry if I took someone else's spot on the shuttle. This sounds like an AWESOME ride.

Jeff

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee

Thanks for saying something...

Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    Something has come up and I am not going to be able to meet up with you guys. I may still get down there, but it will be later in the day.

I'm sorry to bail at the last minute and especially sorry if I took someone else's spot on the shuttle. This sounds like an AWESOME ride.
    Actually I'm not even sure if we filled it up. In any case thanks for saying something so we don't wait for you at the trailhead.

Members who have read this thread: 1