Trail Conditions - week of May 1. May 8.- Mtbr.com
    fc
    head minion Administrator

Trail Conditions - week of May 1. May 8.

Nice weather! I'll start:

Fremont Older - perfect now. Toyon trail is finally open. Poison oak time!

Skeggs - On May 2, I rode Manzanita, crosscut, steam donkey, blue blossom.
    All the trails are dry now. There is water running across the trail in many spots but hardly any mud. There's a bunch of downed trees. There's a bunch of rocks, big rocks. Bring the FS, not the rigid fork.

The trail is pretty rough. All the rocks and ruts are exposed. You gotta pay attention for rocks and trees that can take you out.

The park is beautiful right now. All the canyons have water running so it's nice to see and hear. Blue blossom is amazing!

There's no oak, but there's lot of skeeters.

:8:
    francois

just another bleepin SSer
    An unusual amount of mosquitoes in Waterdog park. Just don't stop in the tree areas, and you should be fine. Areas that are normally a bit wet are still wet. The trail down the canyon to the parking lot is still waterlogged, goopy mess. Beyond that, most trails are in great shape.

I took the skinny tire bike out today for a quick run in the Marin Headlands. Noticed that the Coastal Trail (from Conzelman Road down to Bunker Road) is now open again to bikes.
    --
    Getting old, fat, and slow...
    自転車が好きだよ

Missing NorCal riding,,,
    Apr 2006
    Report from 30 mi at Ord yesterday (1 May):

49 is getting beachy up at the top and the bottom half has a ton of poison oak - most of the trail is rideable. 50 isn't that bad - there's still a bit of a track left up the hill; the part of 50 South of Eucalyptus (from 11 to the Rd) is alright - still fun, but some parts of getting a bit beachy, but they're all downhill and not too much danger of being bitten yet. Now 60 was special this afternoon...better than Pre-Otter, but it's going downhill fast (no pun intended ). 82 going up was great - nice and firm. Other sand areas are a bit of the Goat (near the west end), the bottom half of 39 is just a beach, but rideable, and on 75 the patch in the middle still has a nice trail through it and the one corner has a bit of a patch on the inside line. The three b1tches are very rideable - nice and firm. The bottom part of Skyline is a bit sandy, but nothing to worry much about. Trail 11 (Lookout Rd - heading North from Lagina Seca) is nice and fast - no sand - and the drop is more fun the faster you go.

I know this was posted in last week's conditions thread, but these conditions are from this week - so please excuse the double post.
    Last edited by mtb-chop; 05-03-2006 at 07:36 AM.

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Fremont Older - perfect now. Toyon trail is finally open. Poison oak time!
    it was closed all weekend - when were you there last?

yeah no kidding about the PO - last night I had to go buy an arsenal of Zanfel and Tecnu!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Wrsp

Went up Long Meadow trail Monday night. It was ok with a few detours around the quicksand. Take the detours though. I didn't take the last one and sunk up the hubs about a 1/4 mile from Empire Grade. Took Chinquapin down to the bench. That was really torn up but most of the mud is gone, it's just way slower than usual, for me anyway. I am not up to hitting one of those gaps in the road at 25 mph. Old Cabin was in fine shape but the PO is starting to encroach. Wild Boar is good except for a down tree. Englesman has more high speed death traps sprinkled liberal along the steep downhill sections.

I am lost, I'm no guide

Arastradero Preserve

Got in a quick great ride. Perfect shape w/ no mud. I challenge someone to come up w/ a better after work spring time ride than this place. The waist high wild flowers are popping up, w/ tight singletrack to boot. The extra-curricular activities at the bowl have been worked on and are in fine shape. The bowl is dry and rideable. Saw a large coyote and a bunch of turkeys at the top of meadowlark. Happy Trails...
    There is no food served in Santa Cruz, the rangers just bulldozed it all. - jschwart73

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Acadian
    it was closed all weekend - when were you there last?

yeah no kidding about the PO - last night I had to go buy an arsenal of Zanfel and Tecnu!
    Monday brah! Don't be working too hard.

I have so much poision oak in my system (since sea otter) I just bathe in Dawn detergent now. Is there a smilie for itchy?

fc

smw
    pedal pusher
    I did a short ride with the wife at Santa Teresa on Sunday. Its dry, but torn up from the horse riders that rode the trails while it was muddy.:mad2: I rode up Stiles Ranch on the steep rocky side without any problem, on the SS to boot. There are some reports of a few mud boggs, but I never saw em, I didnt ride Rocky Ridge.

Sean
    Gears and suspension are for girls and old men. Feel free to quote me in your signature. - Fast Eddy

fc
    http://www.openspace.org/preserves/trail_conditions.asp

Only update is Toyon in Fremont Older is now open.

---------------

Trail Conditions
    The following is a list of trails conditions for specific preserves by region.
    Last updated 5/1/2006.

Coal Creek
    • The slide on Alpine Road East will continue to prevent visitor use for an unknown duration. Please use the Bypass Trail through the preserve as the slide is an unsafe area and use would also undermine future efforts at restoring the road.

El Corte de Madera Creek
    • The North Leaf, South Leaf, Giant Salamander, and West Methuselah (Fir to Star Hill Road) Trails are CLOSED to bikes and horses.

Crossover trail is OPEN to all use.

Virginia Mill Trail is CLOSED to bikes and horses.

Fremont Older
    • Toyon Trail -- the seasonal section of Toyon Trail is CLOSED to bikes and horses.

Long Ridge
    • Peters Creek Trail is OPEN to all use.

Long Ridge Trail is OPEN to all use.

Achistaca Trail is OPEN to horses. (Bicycles are not allowed year round.)

Monte Bello
    • White Oaks Trail is OPEN to all use.

Skid Road Trail is OPEN to all use.

Pulgas Ridge
    • A segment of the Hassler Loop Trail is CLOSED to all use.

The new 2.4-mile Dusky Footed Woodrat Trail is UNDER CONSTRUCTION and is anticipated to open by summer 2006. In the meantime, please stay off this trail and observe all posted signs.

Purisima Creek Redwoods
    • Whittemore Gulch Trail is CLOSED to bikes and horses.

The top 0.6 mile of the Whittemore Gulch Trail is CLOSED to all use, due to a landslide. A bypass is available via the North Ridge Trail.

Grabtown Gulch Trail is OPEN to all use.

Soda Gulch Trail is CLOSED to all use due to storm damage.

Russian Ridge
    • The Mindego Trail is CLOSED to all use 1.0 miles west of the Ancient Oaks Trail due to a landslide.

Sierra Azul
    • For an update on the status of Limekiln Trail, between Lexington Reservoir and the Priest Rock Trail, please contact Santa Clara County Parks.

Skyline Ridge
    • The Equestrian Parking Lot may be CLOSED INTERMITTENTLY during wet weather. Equestrian users may use the circular lot, space permitting.

The Ridge Trail from SR01 to Portola Heights Road is CLOSED to bikes and horses due to a slide, the trail is open only to hikers.

Thornewood
    • From the parking lot to Schilling Lake the trail is temporarily CLOSED to horses and OPEN to hiking only due to a mudslide.

Windy Hill
    • Razorback, Lost, and Hamms Gulch Trails are CLOSED to horses (bicycles are not allowed year round).

Betsy Crowder Trail is OPEN to horses (bikes not allowed year round).

The new Meadow Trail is now OPEN to ALL USE. Please use the new trail to allow the old one to re-vegetate.

Other Agencies with trails connecting to District land

San Jose Water Company -- Los Gatos Creek Trail
    • Los Gatos Creek Trail -- Please contact San Jose Water Company for more information.

Santa Clara County Parks
    • Santa Clara County Parks and Recreation Department -- Please visit their web site for general information and updates on Santa Clara County Parks and trails.

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Monday brah! Don't be working too hard.

I have so much poision oak in my system (since sea otter) I just bathe in Dawn detergent now. Is there a smilie for itchy?

fc
    I was just there (FO) this morning...BRRAP!! work won't keep me away from the trails home slice - and you know it!!

I was going to hit Toyon - but I'll let other peeps brush off all the PO oil off the bushes before I do

Feeling a little taller

Briones

We rode a basic Alhambra Creek to Bear Creek via Orchard and Mott Peak and back via the middle of the park. We didn't ride the Lafayette ridge area or Spengler but we experienced a good cross section of trails.

There are lots of places that the fire roads have totally washed out in hill slides but the park district has repaired most of the places. Avoided the multi-use trails mostly because of the fear of PO - could see that stuff hanging heavily EVERYWHERE off the sides of the trails.

There were only a couple of small remaining muddy spots on the trails we rode. But, again, we specifically avoided trails that ran on north-facing hillsides and under tree cover as they have been mud covered until mid or late May the last couple of years.

I don't remember having experienced any cow-related pocking as in the past BUT I was riding my FS. It's squishtastic!

There were SWARMS of black flies in almost every place that there was tree cover and traces of water. Good news is that they don't seem to bite. Bad news is that if it's getting dark and you've forgotten to bring non-tinted sunglasses that you're going to be blinded one way or the other.
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

err, 27.5+
    4/30 - UCSC trails are good and bad. When you find mud it is sloppy. However the rest of the trail that isn't in mud is as good as it gets. Very good dirt/traction right now.

5/2 - Waterdog lake trails - Good shape. There is some mud in runoff and lowland sections, but most of the place is dry. Covered about 1/3rd the trails on 2 loops, so I can't speak for the whole place. I think it is good to go. There are a couple of trail closures still, but I would imagine they will be open before long.

mtbr member
    Wow, Danger, you're already allowed to go mountain biking? Lucky.

Annadel is perfect. Mud is almost all gone, a few trails are more challenging, having been rutted from the rains.
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

new and improved

Steven's Canyon

Lower canyon trail (between the fireroad gate and Grizzly Flats) in Montebello is all clear, the stream crossings are rideable, and if there were any mudslides, they are cleared now.

Lower table mountain has a few problem mud spots near the bottom, as usual, but is otherwise in great shape.

Grizzly Flats is bone dry.

In long ridge, Peter's Canyon trail is in good shape, a few soft spots, but mostly dry.

I can't believe how much poison oak is sprouting in Steven's Canyon. It is growing over the trail in long, wet-with-oil tentacles. It is simply unavoidable at any speed, so stock up on Technu before you ride there. Also, the gnat situation in Steven's Canyon is gross. I am pretty sure the local residents train them to aim for the eyes and mouth of mountain bikers... so wear sunglasses and don't breathe when climbing.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by El Santo
    I can't believe how much poison oak is sprouting in Steven's Canyon. It is growing over the trail in long, wet-with-oil tentacles. It is simply unavoidable at any speed, so stock up on Technu before you ride there. Also, the gnat situation in Steven's Canyon is gross. I am pretty sure the local residents train them to aim for the eyes and mouth of mountain bikers... so wear sunglasses and don't breathe when climbing.
    Good advice! Today, I am going to Longs to get:

- technu pre-exposure ivy-block
    - deet. get away skeeter!!
    - maybe some zanfel if I feel like splurging ($35?)
    - sun tan lotion
    - neosporin and lots of band-aids!!

fc

Feeling a little taller
    Quote Originally Posted by GuruAtma
    Wow, Danger, you're already allowed to go mountain biking? Lucky.

Annadel is perfect. Mud is almost all gone, a few trails are more challenging, having been rutted from the rains.
    Yeah, I'm counting my lucky stars. I had to recruit my inlaws to come by and help out so I could ride. But, that's what family is for, right?

Somehow I managed to dodge my inlaws AND go riding!
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

- sun tan lotion

fc
    Zanfel is worth it if you miss an area with Tecnu, unlike the rest of the anti-PO stuff Zanfel still works after the rash appears. But yeah, it's damn expensive.

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3

- sun tan lotion

fc
    riding in a wetsuit!

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarpa
    Zanfel is worth it if you miss an area with Tecnu, unlike the rest of the anti-PO stuff Zanfel still works after the rash appears. But yeah, it's damn expensive.
    Fyi, I actually have a couple of prescription steroid creams that I use. Now that schit works. The only problem is when my clothing hits it all day, or the sun, or sweat.

Zanfel is good when I want to scratch. Just get in the hot shower and scratchhhhhh. Nice. It doesn't cure my outbreaks though. It just shortens it a bit and I'm not uncomfortable.

fc

Die trying, not watching.

Tons of PO on trails

I rode Sweetwater and Salmon Falls on Sunday. The trails are in generally good condition (a few trees across trail, one large mud flat) but the poison oak was ferocious. I am scratching as I type, despite using Technu at the end of the ride.
    Just get up again ...

Too Much Fun

Good job! Skeggs is like velvet!

Skeggs - On May 2, I rode Manzanita, crosscut, steam donkey, blue blossom.
    All the trails are dry now. There is water running across the trail in many spots but hardly any mud. There's a bunch of downed trees. There's a bunch of rocks, big rocks. Bring the FS, not the rigid fork.
    True, true! I did my usual Skeggs dawn patrol ride on Tues (most Tuesdays @ 7am @ CMO2 if anyone wants to join!) and its NIIIIIIIICE. Dry and grippy. Steam Donkey seems to have some deeper ruts from the rain and there are definitely some tree surprizes that will keep you on your game but overall its great. The big trees on Sierra Moreno have been cut and cleared. Need to hit Blue Blossom next time.

VERY buggy. Bring the Deet!
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

U.c.

Today I rode one of the more popular U.C./Pogonip single track trails. It is in great condition. I think staying on singletrack in the redwoods is the best idea for the U.C./ Wilder area. Trail recon's by the state's money handlers will soon be going on, but until then the fire roads are all pretty torn up and dangerous, especially Wilder's fire roads.

fc
    The landslide at the bottom of Stevens Canyon trail is now passable and open.

Peters Creek Loop trail in Saratoga gap is now open.

North and South Leaf trail in Skeggs are now open.

francois

Yet
    Ack!

Wilder / UC

I rode wilder and UC last weekend. We rode up Zane grey and it was dry, but extra ruddy in places, the Flats of UC are in good shape, and Star Wars was in good shape - just a little mud.

Parts of Fremont Older are pretty tore up from the horses - like the fire road climb out of Vista Loop on the Stables side. Anyone been on the singletrack rut from the stables that hooks up with said fire road?

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes
    I got PO in Fremont Older off Seven Springs.
    that is also where I got mine

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

May 11 Demo

Demo is in excellent condition. Even more challenging thanks to a few more rocks I think. Braille has a tree down that is off the trail but the twigs could snag a derailleur hanger. There is also a branch sticking out at a very inconvenient place right before a big drop.
    The slide on Highland is fairly easy to get over and there is no poison oak to contend with. If you trip just don't trip to the right.

mtbr member

woohoo. now I just need a new rear wheel!

new and improved

francois
    Game on!

Code Monkey

Skeggs

I think pretty much all of Skeggs is open now ... including Giant Salamander. Only prob ... you'll certainly come across a downed tree. Anyone have a mini-chainsaw I can borrow?
    "Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia" - H.G. Wells.

just another bleepin SSer
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeG
    I think pretty much all of Skeggs is open now ... including Giant Salamander. Only prob ... you'll certainly come across a downed tree. Anyone have a mini-chainsaw I can borrow?
    Oh, yeah, those control freaks at MidPen would really go for that! We'd have to give you bail to get you out of jail at the same time we gave you a chain saw...
    --
    Getting old, fat, and slow...
    自転車が好きだよ

China Camp Delayed Report..

I wanted to write in on China Camp, even though I rode there on the 10th. It is basically perfect right now. I rode up to the nike site from the park entrance, and then did the backside loop. I did a second pass on a trail named after a certain WW2 era fancy-pants dictator, and got a pinch flat. Then I was eaten alive by mosquitos. Lesson: no flats.

I also lost my glasses.. If you see some Smith sliders with the logos broken off and no nose pads, let me know.. I'll give you a deal on some brakes.

- Greg

Members who have read this thread: 0