Trail Conditions Thread - March 19 week- Mtbr.com
    fc
    head minion Administrator

Trail Conditions Thread - March 19 week

Ok, we need this thread now more than ever.

Post actual conditions. Photos, mud viscosity and water content measurements are helpful.

Do not guess. Get out there and tell us actual conditions and what day you were out.

fc

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    With a sad panda face, I grabbed the CX bike off the hanger, knowing that the most dirt I'll get today would be near the Santa Teresa Blvd. canal and Cholapocalypse Rd.

Well, as I climbed Bernal Rd., I noticed the closure sign was not displayed. I thought, "Eh? Probably a fluke..."

Up Cholapocalypse I went, and when I entered STCP, ALL the signs were not displayed! I gleefully took Fortini back on the CX bike. There were a few on MTBer's on the scene.

It was soft, but I say by tomorrow it should give us all flying and super mutant strength capabilities. STCP opening up this soon after a rain is as rare as a roller blading chupacabra.

*Note: I rode up on a pair of green Chola sweatpants (piled on itself like they were undressed out of) and a pair of shoes on Cholapocalypse. Escapee on the loose!

Axe
    Custom User Title
    I was pondering going to Big Sandy, but this rain thing stopped me.

Went for a 4 hours orienteering race in Black Diamond park near Antioch.

Holy cows...

"Rogain" style race means that you are traveling cross country, directly across those damn steep hills, so I had a good opportunity to criss-cross the whole park and see the death and destruction all those cows cause.

And those jokers worry about erosion from bikes? So many hidden singletrack I saw - all off limits of course. Just messed up land and cow crap.

But I was glad I was wearing my mud spikes on those slopes and roads. Riding bikes on fireroads would have sucked. Weather for running was absolutely perfect.
    Last edited by Axe; 03-20-2012 at 12:46 AM.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    With a sad panda face...
    We need a photo of that.

The x-factor here is the wind. So trails that are in the open, exposed to the wind got the blow dryer effect in the last two days.

Oooh. 10-day forecast not good.

10 Day Weather Forecast for Saratoga - weather.com

fc

CHOCOLATE NASTIES Baker
    Why do you want to know the trail conditions 10 days ago?

Ha ha

They were AWSOME BTW!
    Master of the unintentional track stand.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by tsimbu View Post
    Why do you want to know the trail conditions 10 days ago?

Ha ha

They were AWSOME BTW!
    dammit. fixed.

fc
    Fremont Older report. I took my road bike as I was prepared for the worst.
    Time: Monday, March 19 6pm
    Loop: Golf course parking lot up to vista point and down and around Seven Srpings loopl
    Water content: zero
    Mud content: zero
    Trail quality: singletrack is dark brown, turning to brown. tires are not marking the trail. Fire road is tore up by the horsies but there is a smooth line developing on both sides.

Get out there!!

bike dork extraordinaire
    Took the cross bike up Montebello rd. to the top of Black Mountain today. Other than a few puddles, the fireroad to the top was nice and tacky. Looks like Stevens Canyon and the surrounding trails should be in pretty good shape.

Wēk Ss
    Any Gap reports?

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    With a sad panda face, I grabbed the CX bike off the hanger, knowing that the most dirt I'll get today would be near the Santa Teresa Blvd. canal and Cholapocalypse Rd.

Well, as I climbed Bernal Rd., I noticed the closure sign was not displayed. I thought, "Eh? Probably a fluke..."

Up Cholapocalypse I went, and when I entered STCP, ALL the signs were not displayed! I gleefully took Fortini back on the CX bike. There were a few on MTBer's on the scene.

It was soft, but I say by tomorrow it should give us all flying and super mutant strength capabilities. STCP opening up this soon after a rain is as rare as a roller blading chupacabra.

*Note: I rode up on a pair of green Chola sweatpants (piled on itself like they were undressed out of) and a pair of shoes on Cholapocalypse. Escapee on the loose!

What the what?!?!? STCP trails open for business already??!?!?!?!
    Dont frail and blow if youre going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Rode Demo the last two days. Coral fire road is in good shape, a few soft spots here and there. Braill (today, Monday), was pretty slippery, and gooey. Probually could use a few days to dry out.
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!

mtbr member
    Shell ridge and diablo...bueno

Natty Dread
    Rode China Camp at 6pm yesterday. Don't have any pics. How do I quantify what I saw? There were probably 10-12 sections of the loop that had mud/puddles. Given how much rain that fell it was in pretty good shape meaning the tires weren't sinking deep into the trail. Though there were probably 3 of the 10-12 sections that were sloppy enough to make me feel like I should take a few more days off from trail riding. My drive train was pretty grimey at the end. Anyone hit Water Dog yet? I'm thinking to check it out on Wed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    What the what?!?!? STCP trails open for business already??!?!?!?!
    I'll be out there tomorrow, bud!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    It's been raining and it's going to keep raining for a while and the trails won't be dry to point that bikes don't do damage for at least a couple weeks so just accept it, do something else, and wait it out.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by michael1 View Post
    It's been raining and it's going to keep raining for a while and the trails won't be dry to point that bikes don't do damage for at least a couple weeks so just accept it, do something else, and wait it out.
    Like I said. Report actual conditions. Don't make things up and assume you know every trail in the bay area is unrideable for a couple of weeks.

fc

遅すぎ
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat Pedals View Post
    Anyone hit Water Dog yet? I'm thinking to check it out on Wed.
    Hit Water Dog on Sunday, couple of standing puddles, nothing unridable, greasy, or looking like it was causing trail damage by riding. For the most part, it was dry already and should be approaching "hero dirt" status by wed. Think it's the wind that's drying the trails out more than the sun.

Curious about Skeggs? Anyone been out there? Prior to the rains it was so primo I was getting Strava PRs left and right on the single track.

Urban Ninja
    Subscribed

Want to hit Skeggs tomorrow. What's the good word?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    The x-factor here is the wind. So trails that are in the open, exposed to the wind got the blow dryer effect in the last two days.
    This is true. My CX loop is 23 miles, mostly flat via Santa Teresa Blvd. I don't know how it is scientifically possible to have a headwind every direction you turn.

I actually look forward to climbing Bernal Rd. - at least there's no wind.

I'll be out there today en mi nueva bicileta.

Trail Conditions Thread - March 19 week-img_2210.jpg

Wēk Ss
    Dion, what fork? Short stem ftw. Are you running wide bars?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    Dion, what fork? Short stem ftw. Are you running wide bars?
    Budget 302 fork, and yes, 29" handlebar! Feels weird, but I wanted something "different".

OSM
    mtbr member
    Montebello OSP was great IMO. There were a Gabillion ruts through the scattered mud puddles and definitely a few sloppy spots, but in between those sections traction was prime. Creek crossings were about the same as the rest of this winter (below horizontal pedals). Trail is clean and clear of fallen trees right now. There were two days in the beginning of March that I walked and cleaned/ cleared most areas on Canyon and Alpine. A local MTBer on Alpine thanked me and said, '' This is the first time in 13 years I have seen any MTBer work on the trail.'' Since Alpine turns to pnut butter I havn't hit it up, but did widen some parts of the tall weeds and add two wall rides, ha. I been traveling lately, but Aggro-CHad back on the scene.
    Bicycles D'opinion/ COMMENCAL /Principat D'Andorra

mtbr member
    Anybody--> Boggs after the rains?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Bone dry at Mission Peak Stanford side this morning. Infact, traction hasn't been this good up there for a while.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    JMP? RSP? Anyone?

遅すぎ
    Apr 2008
    Sorry to thread jack, but how are those el cheapo performance forte tires Dion? Tried running them tubeless?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gergroy View Post
    JMP? RSP? Anyone?
    Wondering about that too? Was thinking of doing a JMP-Redwood-Chabot loop on Wed and am curious how bad it is out there...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by hkenshin View Post
    Sorry to thread jack, but how are those el cheapo performance forte tires Dion? Tried running them tubeless?
    Yes and yes.

mtbr member

I too experienced the joy you speak of on Monday. I was ready to do some poaching and to my surprise the signs of the dirt nazis' were not displayed.
    Get out there and ride!

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by beaverbiker View Post
    Coe is awesome right now. Just stay off the new, unpacked trails.
    ^^^what he said...

...and the Jim Donnelly Trail has quite a few "new, unpacked" sections:
    Photobucket
    Ruts where some tread work had recently been done (incorrectly BTW), section just beyond was from last season and zero ruts.

Here's "my" corner that some yahoos messed up on Sunday:
    Photobucket
    Note the Monday AM bike tracks on the left; hardly any mark at all---Coe dirt sets up very fast.

Here's one of the "yahoos":
    Photobucket
    "Who me???"

Easy 'nuf to fix though:
    Photobucket

But I could have spent my time doing more of this:
    Photobucket

Watch for a Trail Work Day announcement for this Saturday at Coe from the Sorcerer!
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

Mattegory
    Hit Fremont Older up because of francis' suggestion. Seven Springs is all good but the upper half of the park is too shredded by hooves to be worth it. I stayed off Toyon even though it looked plenty dry - didn't want to be the bad apple disobeying the closed gate!

This was also the maiden voyage of my new Steelman! Good lord it was worth the wait. Mucho better than a 16 year old Bontrager

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattegory View Post
    Hit Fremont Older up because of francis' suggestion. Seven Springs is all good but the upper half of the park is too shredded by hooves to be worth it. I stayed off Toyon even though it looked plenty dry - didn't want to be the bad apple disobeying the closed gate!

This was also the maiden voyage of my new Steelman! Good lord it was worth the wait. Mucho better than a 16 year old Bontrager
    Frickin A = Frickin Awesome!

When I got a Steelman, the 3 month wait became 9 months (twice). And all was forgotten after the first ride.

Xfusion fork? Smart!

fc

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Did 20 miles and a couple thousand feet in STCP on the new blue bike. It's soft, but not thrashed... however, Rocky Ridge is BEAT! The rain was kind to Stile Ranch, which was kinda neat; I climbed the rocks.

The ground is just soft enough to make climbing a PITA. Tomorrow should be better.

Ariolimax columbianus

ord

sunday rode my mt bike 20 miles on the road to the trails into a super stiff headwind blowing north once i hit castroville....rough. some short loops and mostly dry near parker flats. think sponge.

yesterday went back out to the fort (drove) to meet my bro for a mellow ride cause he's on the mend. some fun loops outta parker flats on my rigid 29er, like a giant pump track, perfect traction, two wheel powder drift turns in some spots. towards the end of our ride met up w/another local that i know just from ridin all around here and santa cruz and followed him a bit. ord's such a trip cause everyone's got their favorite loops and sometimes special secrets, learned somethin new yesterday.

singletrack bound
    Quote Originally Posted by nativeson View Post
    sunday rode my mt bike 20 miles on the road to the trails into a super stiff headwind blowing north once i hit castroville....rough. some short loops and mostly dry near parker flats. think sponge.

yesterday went back out to the fort (drove) to meet my bro for a mellow ride cause he's on the mend. some fun loops outta parker flats on my rigid 29er, like a giant pump track, perfect traction, two wheel powder drift turns in some spots. towards the end of our ride met up w/another local that i know just from ridin all around here and santa cruz and followed him a bit. ord's such a trip cause everyone's got their favorite loops and sometimes special secrets, learned somethin new yesterday.
    Yo bro.......

way to go!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gergroy View Post
    JMP? RSP? Anyone?
    JMP was fun today. A few muddy spots but all in all great conditions. Just watch out on Cindy, there is a tree down at the beginning (easy to see) and a mini mudslide after one of the banked turns midway through the trail (harder to see but can ride over it).

Wēk Ss
    How'd you like the 456, Dion? I'm liking the sound of the 456 Evo, can't wait for a carbon version. :P It'll be like a carbon mmmBop.

Alum Rock Park and Boccardo was in very good condition. It was drier up top, but still had good traction. Low was "hero dirt" with 1 puddle.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    How'd you like the 456, Dion? I'm liking the sound of the 456 Evo, can't wait for a carbon version. :P It'll be like a carbon mmmBop.

Alum Rock Park and Boccardo was in very good condition. It was drier up top, but still had good traction. Low was "hero dirt" with 1 puddle.
    It's a slow climber but fun and fast when you point it away from the uphill stuff. Techincal climbing was awesome, but Coyote Peak was a serious chore. I need a new seat post, 350mm is just not enough.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Any updates on Skeggs? Heading out there around 5 today.

ask
    user
    OT - I brought my SS 29r w/ my easy gearing (32x22), as I was planning to go to Kennedy after work. But after looking at the conditions report for Fremont Older, I am considering going there. I have not been there in years.

Am I going to be hating life with this easy gearing at FO? For comparison, I usually use 32x20 or 32x18 lower for places like the Gap.

Any suggestions on a good ~2 hour route at FO?

PS - Mattegory - Sweet Steelman!

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by ask View Post
    OT - I brought my SS 29r w/ my easy gearing (32x22), as I was planning to go to Kennedy after work. But after looking at the conditions report for Fremont Older, I am considering going there. I have not been there in years.

Am I going to be hating life with this easy gearing at FO? For comparison, I usually use 32x20 or 32x18 lower for places like the Gap.

You'll be fine. Fremont Older is mostly up and down. With that gearing, you can go to the reservoir side and back up and get a workout.

Also, you can hit 'Ranch Road' trail and get our KOMs.

For the record, low singlespeed gearing is really just harmful/PITA on level ground (where you can't spin faster than 12 mph). On hills,you're still pushing a way heavier gear than most geared riders.

fc

Mattegory
    Quote Originally Posted by ask View Post

Thanks! You could try starting on the Prospect side of FO, do a loop of Seven Springs, Climb up to Maisies Point, bomb down the reservoir side fireroad, turn around, climb it, go and do Seven Springs the other way, then head home. That is what I did minus the fireroad on the reservoir side.

ask
    user
    Thanks Mattegory and FC... I'll hit up FO then. I'd rather save Kennedy suffer-fests for those rainy / muddy days.

mtbr member

Kennedy today

Did a quick run up Kennedy to the intersection only with B. Climber on his new scott scale pro 29 er today and conditions are sweet. Pretty much dried out already. We need a new thread ... Worst pic of the Day. This one would qualify ! Trail Conditions Thread - March 19 week-0321121240c.jpg
    Suicide by single speed. Work in progress.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient rascal View Post
    Worst pic of the Day. This one would qualify ! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0321121240c.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	125.7 KB 
ID:	683186
    Taken with a 1/4 Megapixel camera.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Pleasanton Ridge

Pleasanton Ridge is all good, no mud.

Trail Gnome
    Big Rock and surrounding areas were nice today. There were only a couple of muddy spots.

mtbr member
    Grant Ranch was dry.

HOWEVER, the cows have really torn up a section of trail at the bottom of Dutch Flat. Their postholes are holding a lot of water. Really soggy for about 1/2 mile.

Last edited by Restricted; 03-22-2012 at 09:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Anyone get out to Demo today - did it dry up?

Natty Dread
    WaterDog was sweet during my ride from 5pm to about 630pm. A couple of puddles and sticky spots. Some of the usual erosion channels made for narrow slices of technical trail. The exposed sections of trail were most dry almost hard to believe dry. The forested trails were between tacky, a little slick on on some of the rocks and in other spots pure hero dirt. Here's a shot from the Forest I think on Chapparal. I don't pay attention to the names really. Another crappy pic. Blackberry Lens has had it.

IMG-20120321-00051.jpg

Natty Dread
    Ohhh...I forgot. I'm supposed to ride with some buddies tomorrow in the East Bay who likely have no clue about trail conditions. We are supposed to go to Briones but I thought I read somewhere that it can stay sloppy there for a while. We need to stay close in to Pleasant Hill. Will Briones be okay from the Alahambra trail head and IF NOT what about Shell Ridge. Man...EB riding. Can't believe I'm asking about this. The things I do for friends.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Skeggs

Anyone ride Skeggs yesterday, how is it?

fc
    I rode Russian Ridge yesterday afternoon. It was all dry.

photos:
    Facebook

fc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trail Conditions Thread - March 19 week-russian.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Anybody ride Auburn recently? Hoping to head over there on Saturday.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Rode Skeggs last night with some friends, definitely slopping sections, but totally rideable. We rode Manzanita->Tafoni->Giant Salamander->North Leaf->Resolution (up and out). Bottom of ECDM trail after North Leaf had a lot of big messy sections, but nothing terrible. Bike definitely needs a cleaning though.

It looked foggy up there this morning driving into work, so it's probably all wet again.

OSM
    mtbr member
    The trails were prime today. Alpine was absolutely the best I have seen it in the last five years, despite the lack of single track nowadays. Adobe creek trail MBOSP appeared to be untouched in more than a couple months, even by hikers. It was loose and fast with lots of debris.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Arastradero is back to pre-rain conditions. The horses did really F up the dirt though, and I think I saw one bike tire rut.

One exception is that half of the "bowl" is under a bit of water, unfortunately where the drop into the jump is. The steep drops on either side are all dry though, so that is all open.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

Urban Ninja
    I rode this in Auburn today:

Manzanita > Flood = sweet. I rode Stonewall to Rocky and that was a bit more challenging than I was expecting on my slimmed down Stumpjumper but It was super fun still. The new jumps on Stonewall are effing rad!!! A moto passed me down Stonewall and I held my own to keep up to him for a while. Like said in this thread there is a berm on the new Culvert Trail that is turned to mush, don't try to ride through it! but all else is well. The West side of Forrest Hill loop and Connector Trail are so perfect right now, MY GOD. I was super happy to move up a few spots on the Confluence KOM list to end my 38 mile ride.

mtbr member

Fremont Older / Wilder

FREMONT OLDER
    Anyone know if Toyon is open yet?

Too bad they don't seem to do too many mid-week updates to the trail cond.report:
    Openspace.org - Your Preserves - Trail Conditions + Closures

WILDER
    Anyone get out to Wilder Wed or Thursday? Seems like it will need more time to dry out, but the coastside right there sometimes doesn't get nearly as much rain, and thus the trails could be OK by now...?

Any Wilder report would be helpful, but Old Cabin trail and particularly Enchanted Loop are of the most interest, partly because they are sometimes slower to dry..
    Last edited by primordial; 03-23-2012 at 08:39 AM. Reason: added the last bit

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by primordial View Post
    FREMONT OLDER

Too bad they don't seem to do too many mid-week updates to the trail cond.report:

WILDER
    Anyone get out to Wilder Wed or Thursday? Seems like it will need more time to dry out, but the coastside right there sometimes doesn't get nearly as much rain, and thus the trails could be OK by now...?

I'm 99% sure it's closed. Those trails just dried up (to withstand horses) and the rangers watch the weather forecasts as well. They know that it will rain good on Saturday and beyond so they won't open just to close it back Saturday.

They do mid-week updates on that trail conditions page so no changes on the page usually means no changes on the closures.

fc

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    STCP is ridiculously dry and slippery. The rain brought up some gravel on the clay trails, so be careful when braking - especially on the dark side of Stile Ranch. I nearly skidded of the trail unexpectedly.

The good news is that they packed the Pueblo area of Fortini (before entering Rocky Ridge climb) and there is a jump there now! You'll see it when you get there - don't know if it's temporary... but I like it.

There are clumps of hardened dirt everywhere on the Santa Teresa side of trails - I don't know where they came from - but they are everywhere, which also challenges traction if you hit some.

Is this thing on?
    Quote Originally Posted by primordial View Post
    FREMONT OLDER

As of last night it was closed. Just a note, the ranger (actually two) were out and about last night. A large group of bikers (10 or so) headed towards Toyon as I was coming up from Seven Springs. The ranges were heading up that way also. I rode the first part of Toyon and Bay View, when I got to Coyote Ridge the rangers were heading to the end of Toyon. Don't know if anyone poached the closed Toyon but the rangers were checking.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Culvert Issues

Culvert Trail Reroute Problems - See related thread:

http://forums.mtbr.com/california-no...id-776730.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trail Conditions Thread - March 19 week-img_1346.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

wilder conditions

Just got back from the twin gates above wilder. The fire road is completely dry, there wasn't a trails closed sign at the top, and the trails I rode in the area were great. Today is likely the last chance to ride it for a while if the forcasts are right.

NedwannaB
    NIce outting jeng!
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

NedwannaB

After 2 days and wind

Quote Originally Posted by uncle mama View Post
    Big Rock and surrounding areas were nice today. There were only a couple of muddy spots.
    There was even less muddy spots on this afternoons ride. Unbelievably dry! Visibility from the views was endless.

Use to be very intimidating when first riding this little bump of a trail when you got to about the halfway spot in the first picture, looking back at how far you've come up to get there, and seeing the towers looming up in the distance knowing there's quite an elevation loss up ahead before you start the final ascent. Then eventually you get to the split rail corral fence where the long descent awaits you down to Lucas Valley Rd.

Encountered similar dryness throughout ride continuing up to Loma Alta, down thru Sleepy Hollow Ridge Preserve, up and over thru Terra Linda Ridge Preserves, then down to Lucas Valley Rd back to the car.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trail Conditions Thread - March 19 week-halfway.jpg  

Trail Conditions Thread - March 19 week-towers.jpg  

Trail Conditions Thread - March 19 week-big-rock-trail-drop.jpg  

Trail Conditions Thread - March 19 week-replenished.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ForbiddenBeat View Post
    Rode Skeggs last night with some friends, definitely slopping sections, but totally rideable. We rode Manzanita->Tafoni->Giant Salamander->North Leaf->Resolution (up and out). Bottom of ECDM trail after North Leaf had a lot of big messy sections, but nothing terrible. Bike definitely needs a cleaning though.

It looked foggy up there this morning driving into work, so it's probably all wet again.
    I'm schedule to ride Skegg tomorrow morning but it's forcast to rain today and shower tomorrow. What's your recommendation? Should we ride it or wait? My buddy got a new bike and dying to ride it so I don't want to spoil it. Please advice.

thanks.

I'm a "she".

I'd wait before going back to Skeggs

Did a short ride at Skeggs yesterday and the condition was worse than I expected. That was after a few fairly dry days with the help of wind. It's raining steadily now. I wouldn't want to take my no-longer-new bike back too soon as the mud there has a high content of sand, which is esp. bad for the bike.
    Inch by inch, I will get there...
    ride reports | tracks | photos
    Green Chiclets are my favorite candy.

NedwannaB

See mudworms post below

Quote Originally Posted by WAZCO View Post
    I'm schedule to ride Skegg tomorrow morning but it's forcast to rain today and shower tomorrow. What's your recommendation? Should we ride it or wait? My buddy got a new bike and dying to ride it so I don't want to spoil it. Please advice.

thanks.
    Somes up what conditions will be for your buddies new bike.

Moderator Moderator
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by banebane View Post
    Anybody ride Auburn recently? Hoping to head over there on Saturday.
    I rode clementine, middle trail, confluence trail, and stagecoach yesterday. Its all good. Avoid Culvert please. They're having drainage issues on the new section and more traffic will just make it worse. Fortunately middle trail is good to go for the extra traffic.

Be careful on Confluence. A couple of the rocky wash out sections have changed a fair bit in the last 2 weeks. If you go in there slamming expecting to ride your normal line based on memory you could find a cruel surprise.

fc
    Ok, reset. We are about to get hammered.

fc

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Ok, reset. We are about to get hammered.

fc
    I'm throwing the fenders on the CX bike and going for a recovery spin. It's gonna get me mid-ride.

mtbr member

Rain ?

Where the %*)f is it ? Getting nothing here in Santa Clara so far. It was supposed to be starting in the wee hours this morning ! Los Gatos getting anything or is it gonna all come tomorrow when we were all gonna ride Sunday?
    Suicide by single speed. Work in progress.

fc
    Where the %*)f is it ? Getting nothing here in Santa Clara so far. It was supposed to be starting in the wee hours this morning ! Los Gatos getting anything or is it gonna all come tomorrow when we were all gonna ride Sunday?
    This is the slowest rain in the world. That means we're gonna get soaked when it finally gets here. It's been the constant pissing sprinkle the whole day here in west san ho.

fc

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Yeah, I totally rode today on dry land. Took the CX, prepared for the worst, and wished I would've brought my On-One 456 out for a little rocky action.

Man... I hope all you South Bay'ers got your ride in, because here we are at 2:15pm and nuthin!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Rain has been steady but light/moderate in the Hayward/Castro Valley area. Saw the weather report at the gym this morning and the Pleasanton/Livermore are looked completely dry. Del Valle in Livermore may be an option for Sunday since the fireroads are all gravel.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Just did a ride at Santa Teresa - no sign of rain.

I'd still be out there if I hadn't broken a spoke!

mtbr member
    Did a fairly big ride in Coe today, no rain, not even a drop!

Trail Gnome
    I rode Tamarancho yesterday and it was nice. There were quite a few people out late afternoon; no doubt getting a jump on the rain. It's wet in the North Bay now!

Resident Curmudgeon
    hwy 35 @ Castle Rock State Park. we have had well over an inch since 6 am Saturday. The ground is very soft. it feels saturated and there is ponding on the trails.
    Warning: Consumption of alcohol may make you think the person on the barstool next to you is attractive

jms
    mtbr member

And The Week Ahead

My Favorite Peeps:

singletrack bound

Uncle Chunk & I

got 24.5mi in @ the Fort today! Great ride.

jms
    mtbr member

Best news of the day!

Quote Originally Posted by Tone No Balone View Post
    got 24.5mi in @ the Fort today! Great ride.
    Cool!

Glad you got White Knuckles Chuckles out there. Riding heals what ails the heart. You're a great friend Tone.
    My Favorite Peeps:

singletrack bound
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    Ord (Creekside) was really primo today.
    yeah it was a bonus day. we started over @ 8th & Giggles and made it over to 49/50- down 49/ up Jacks Rd to top of Sh&t house down Sh&t house to top of (41) Goat down Goat and back over towards E. Garrison Then back to Giggles Via E. Garrison........

Oh, and we threw in the new 42 Red Rocks too!.....

it was a GREAT day out there! Hope your ride was as good!

Urban Ninja
    Dude Rockville was super epic today. Congrats to all who actually rode their mtb today. I did:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trail Conditions Thread - March 19 week-big-hit-before-after.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Conditions are even more PRIMO after at day of trailwork here in MoCo. Toro to be exact...

singletrack bound
    Quote Originally Posted by jeng View Post
    Dude Rockville was super epic today. Congrats to all who actually rode their mtb today. I did:
    Nice man!

JMS & I saw you and your bro's out @ the Fort last weekend coming down 50....

We were going up.

Great day of riding today!

singletrack bound
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    We definitely had some overlap. Rode up the sand climb (30/33?) from the Creekside lot to 3? to 27/28 to 37 (fern trail?) to 75 to ride the first sister, down 42 (red rocks) up 43 (ewok?) to 41 to 1.

Which one is Sh&t house?

The new 42 (didn't ride the old one because I could never find it) was awesome! Nice fun trail. I think we did 10-11 miles today.

The only problem we really had was me being slower than usual from riding hard pack tires in the mud/sand. No good there.
    sh&t House was part of the old 24hrs Of Adrenalin back in the day...

its trail 44, as your going up Skyline Rd which parallels Pilarcitos Canyon Rd it's a little Rd climb up Skyline (which you can see from the rock on top of 49) and 44 dives in on your left and the singletrack winds over and comes in above the beginning of (41) Goat. I remember it during the 3:00 AM laps being pretty dicey coming down to the top of Goat.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Mucky, mucky, mucky. More rain on the way!! Yeah ! We need it too.
    All you folks out there drinking city water should be praying for more rain too.
    You may have water in all your bottom brackets; but its not potable.

mtbr member
    Sunday turned out great in Coe, another big day with no rain and the trails sucked up the nights moisture like a sponge, excellent conditions. Not sure I've ever done two days of riding in a row at Coe, but it was definitely the place to be this weekend for riding...

fc
    No comment.

April 1, drying pattern.

fc

OSM
    mtbr member
    I rode Alpine the next day(march 22). Absolutely the best condition I have seen the trail in the last 5 years. After it dries out again I will be sweet. Adobe creek trail MBOSP has not been touched in quite a while as the amount of fallen debris and duff was outrageous.

Sunday- china camp was a sloppy mess, pretty much everywhere.

Natty Dread
    Thinking I should maybe let Waterdog wait until tomorrow. There were definitely some some soft spots Monday late afternoon. This cloud cover isn't exactly drying weather. :-(

Mattegory
    I've been out of town for a week - am I to assume pretty much everything in the South Bay is unrideable for the time being? Absolutely itching to get out anywhere on my new baby, just not at the expense of the trails...

fc
    Old La Honda. Today.

singletrack bound
    fort friday

SOG
    mtbr member
    been digging at the dj spots...dirt is primo for moving and shaping right now. glad the rains showed up

skillz to pay billz
    How will fort ord be next few days? Does it drain well? Any sections to avoid? First timer. Thanks!

Edit: Sandstone base. Choice riding in winter months, dunes during the summer. - from the reviews page

Poking mon
    Jun 2007
    Rode MP at 430pm 3/28. Stanford side is primo. Fireroad to Allison peak and monument has dried out faster than I thought. Ohlone is still a little muddy and slick.
    by EBrider
    "No more Buick and Gatorade. From now on its Jim Beam and Hummer"

singletrack bound
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby View Post
    How will fort ord be next few days? Does it drain well? Any sections to avoid? First timer. Thanks!

Edit: Sandstone base. Choice riding in winter months, dunes during the summer. - from the reviews page
    Fort will be in primo shape! check the map. Trail heads @ Giggling Rd and @ Creekside Terrace. Either one is a good choice.

http://www.seaotterclassic.com/UserF..._7_12_2007.pdf

Members who have read this thread: 0