fc
    head minion Administrator

Trail Conditions Report - week of April 24th

What's it like out there??

Curse you Coe!
    Apr 2005
    Conditions report: FREMONT OLDER, Sunday, April 23 ~4:00pm

Toyon Tr: CLOSED to bikes and horses.
    Seven Springs Tr, north of Ranch Road: dry, solid ground.
    Seven Springs Tr, south of Ranch Road: mud puddles near Ranch Rd, and several sections of soft ground now stamped with footprints and tire marks.

My previous visit on April 17, the south tip of Coyote Ridge Tr between Vista Loop and gate FO07 was terribly choppy and muddy from horse use. No rain reported at Fremont Older between 4/17-4/23. The trail wrapping around the base of Nob Hill also had many shallow mud puddles. These sections may have dried up significantly. Also noticed a mudslide partially covering the fire road connecting Hayfield and Coyote Ridge (0.2 mi). Hikers and bikes OK. Might be sketchy passing through on horse...

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Quote Originally Posted by wddung
    Conditions report: FREMONT OLDER, Sunday, April 23 ~4:00pm

Toyon Tr: CLOSED to bikes and horses.
    Seven Springs Tr, north of Ranch Road: dry, solid ground.
    Seven Springs Tr, south of Ranch Road: mud puddles near Ranch Rd, and several sections of soft ground now stamped with footprints and tire marks...
    yeah I was there very early Sunday morning and have the same report. There were only a few mud puddles on 7Spoings... can't wait for Toyon to dry out!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Diablo, April 22

Still a little sloppy on the lower portions of Donner Canyon and the connecting trails to the Mitchel Canyon trailhead. The rest is good. The Prospectors Gap and Meridian Ridge downhills are especially nice compared to the nasty loose conditions of the summer months.

The climbing is good. There’s lots of water and greenery to help keep your mind off the climb. Part of the North Peak singletrack is a nice rocky creek climb.

Trip the Bike Fantastic

Northern Tam/Lakes/Environs

the drying-out slowed a little yesterday and today, with overcast skies and a trace of rain. I expect the seasonal mud pockets to remain for the rest of the week (eg. at bon tempe lake, on scott tank FR to the golf course, alchemist trail at tamarancho).

I keep finding more damage from the storms - retaining walls toppled, trees down. On pine mt. loop, a culvert has washed out, and there's a new creek to cross just before climbing out from kent lake.

just keep yer eyes out for surprises and have fun!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am lost, I'm no guide

Wilder Ranch

Rode for 2 hours today. Give it atleast another week to dry out! My route was varied, and I stuck to mainly fireroads, however, cabin is in pretty decent shape (dowhill). The bridge at the bottom of Cabin was blown out, however, the rangers tied it down to a cable, so it just needs to be reset and should be back in place soon. I wouldn't recommend 2.24 Weirwolf's out there right now! The mud was sticking to my tires like never before, and it killed me on the climbs. I was granny gearing it up middle ring climbs. I don't think I've ever seen so many riders walking their bikes up the hills as I did today. It is obvious the rangers have been clearing the trails from blowdowns etc... however, there is still much work to be done. Eucalyptus loop from top of Cabin to the picnic benches is smooth and tacky in spots, and impassable mud bogs in other areas. My front wheel stuck in the mud half way to my hub in one spot. The Loop down from the picnic tables to the Wilder Ridge loop is very rutted, thus your'e not going to be setting any records for your downhill speeds these days. 2 (or maybe 3) seperate areas of the loop were flagged by park rangers in really rough spots, and make shift singletrack paralleling the fire road are now in others. Overall, Wilder bore the neverending rain pretty well, however, we still need to give it some more time to dry up. The wildflowers are starting to pop up in sunny spots and in another week or two, you are guaranteed an 8x10 of you and your bike, surrounded by fields of poppies w/ the Pacific as your backdrop.
    Last edited by gobike; 04-24-2006 at 03:42 PM.
    There is no food served in Santa Cruz, the rangers just bulldozed it all. - jschwart73

bicycle rider

Joaquin Miller Park

I rode a bunch of trails in Joaquin Miller Park on Sunday, and some are still pretty slimy. There's water seeping out of the hillsides and springs, making some trails as wet as a rain ride. (Sinawik and Sinawik Loop) There are trees down (Sequoia Bayview) and landslides. (Sunset) Cinderella has some nice big water-diversion berms that are fun to ride, kinda like motocross jumps but you dare not get air there. (so tempting to put a "rare" in front of "air") I was surprised there were no signs on Big Trees saying it was closed for the season. Maybe some non-park person took them down? Big Trees and the little trail off it (we call it "Sapling") are fun and undamaged. Bishops Walk is so overgrown with tall grass that riding its zigs and zags at any speed is a new kind of difficult, in a fun way, because the tall grass hides what's coming up next. They'll probably have the portable herd of goats come munch it away soon.

Morgan

Jan 2004
    Stevens Creek Canyon/Table Mtn./Saratoga Gap

Trails are nice and tacky in all areas, the water flow is still really high, so crossing from/to gap, you need to walk over a log. TRAIL IS CLOSED CROSSING BOTTOM AREA, mudslide took out hill. I rode down today and had to cross, sorry, i cant go back up!, but they are making headway to make a new trail, its nearly halfway done.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I did a ride on the UCSC upper campus on Monday afternoon, and it was pretty marshy. There's a lot of standing water as well as water flowing out of the ground in sloped areas. That's not to say there weren't dry patches, but overall, I'd give it a lot more time and warm weather.

padded

Water Dog is mostly dry

Rode at Water Dog yesterday - it dried out a lot in the last week and except for a few small puddles is looking good. The new switchback section by the creek (the one ROMP built last year) is still pretty wet, but all the other trails are in good shape.

Be warned tho: Water Dog is already poison oak central, esp. in the south canyon, so cover up and bring the Tecnu for after the ride.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWheels
    Rode at Water Dog yesterday - it dried out a lot in the last week and except for a few small puddles is looking good. The new switchback section by the creek (the one ROMP built last year) is still pretty wet, but all the other trails are in good shape.

Be warned tho: Water Dog is already poison oak central, esp. in the south canyon, so cover up and bring the Tecnu for after the ride.

Ahh Waterdog. What a cool place right by my work.

All the oak and the water though are such a bummer. Also, I'm sure it'll be overgrown in a couple of weeks.

I thoroughly enjoyed it last summer and fall though.

francois

smw
    pedal pusher
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Ahh Waterdog. What a cool place right by my work.

All the oak and the water though are such a bummer. Also, I'm sure it'll be overgrown in a couple of weeks.

I thoroughly enjoyed it last summer and fall though.

francois

Maybe I should just go get a shot now. The poison oak will be very
    abundant this year, and pretty much every where I ride.

sean
    Gears and suspension are for girls and old men. Feel free to quote me in your signature. - Fast Eddy

Totally, and to the max.
    Quicksilver Park, south SJ:

From the looks of my next-door neighbor's bike after his Sunday ride, I'd say it's drying out well. He reported a few mud puddles, but no widespread mud bogs. Boring fireroad climbing is on!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Bonking ... not feelin' well Demo

Looks like Highland Way is closed "Indefinitely" at mile marker 3.23 . . .Anyone know if that's far from the parking lot?

http://www.sccroadclosure.org/index.asp?team=Road

Two Tired

Multiple trail news

I rode Fremont Older for a late evening ride Tuesday and again today. The north side is in good condition everywhere. Toyon is still closed and several of the trails near the Garrod stables are very torn up and muddy due to horse traffic. It is so lumpy that it not that fun, but it should be better in a few days as it dries and gets more packed down from horses, bikes and ranger trucks. There are lots of animals out - rabbits and quail everywhere and a few bold coyotes and deer.

I chatted with two rangers manning a radar speed trap near the bottom of 7 Springs (no, I didn't get a ticket this time). They said they have just finished a new trail through the slide on the Canyon Trail and it is now open. Peters Creek is being monitored day by day and they expected it to open any day. They said White Oaks opened today (the web site is not updated yet).

They also reported good conditions in Sierra Azul and mentioned that the wildflowers are plentiful there, especially at Jacques Ridge.

I was at Russian Ridge on Sunday. Very good conditions there but the wildflowers weren't out yet. Another week or two and it should be covered with flowers.
    Let the good times roll.
    trailroller.com

mtbr member
    May 2005

mission peak

Rode on wednesday, and there's 2 small patches of avoidable mud on the singletrack area through the trees (Ohlone side) and about a 10 yard stretch of mud near the campsite. Other than that, it was great and could actually use some rain to keep the dust down! Great time to ride it while its still lush and green.

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶[$̲̅(̲̅ιοο̲̅)$]

Saratoga Gap/Long Ridge

Plenty of debris on the Saratoga Gap trail and one tree still down on the short climb out to HWY 35 but overall in great shape with just a few avoidable muddy sections. Long Ridge Trail is very dry (almost dusty) with some heavily rutted sections. The best news is that Peter's Creek trail is finally open and in superb shape! A few wet/muddy spots once you've descended to the creek and before the climb back out to Long Ridge but overall really nice!

mtbr dismember

Annadel near perfect 4/29

VTT and I did Annadel 4/29 and it was nearly perfect. Most of the trails are completely dry, yet no dust yet. Just a couple puddles here and there but it should be completely dry in a day or two.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_e
    Looks like Highland Way is closed "Indefinitely" at mile marker 3.23 . . .Anyone know if that's far from the parking lot?

http://www.sccroadclosure.org/index.asp?team=Road
    i road it today. not that big of a deal. just park at the slide. it might by 1.6 miles to the lot.

Silence! I kill you!
    Quote Originally Posted by MondoRides
    Plenty of debris on the Saratoga Gap trail and one tree still down on the short climb out to HWY 35 but overall in great shape with just a few avoidable muddy sections. Long Ridge Trail is very dry (almost dusty) with some heavily rutted sections. The best news is that Peter's Creek trail is finally open and in superb shape! A few wet/muddy spots once you've descended to the creek and before the climb back out to Long Ridge but overall really nice!

Hmm, sounds like its time to go riding there again. How is the PO so far? Probably all over the place.
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

mtbr member
    I rode Olmstead today in Cool, CA. Trail is pretty thrashed. All of the rains, the race and the horse traffic have really done a number on it, unfortunately . I guess there's a 24 hour race on the loop next weekend. Maybe they'll do some repairs afterwords? There were crews on the loop today building bridges over some of the bigger crossings. Here are some pics*:

The first major downhill section of the trail is far more rocky and rutted than it has been the past few times I've ridden (December '05 and prior). There's also a large section where there is some major exposed rock and there's also a blind dropoff that is about 18" high (arrow) .

This is taken from the same spot as the above picture, it's just looking down the trail. You can see the side trail to the left. That's there because the main trail is flooded pretty massively just ahead. It's like that all over the loop. If you see a sidetrail, it's recommended that you take it. In only one case did a sidetrail end up being a worse option than staying on the main trail. In some instances, such as just near the end of the loop (past the school), main trails AND side trails are completely flooded.

A shot of some muck. This site was not uncommon. The trail was either dry (rutted in most of the dry sections. The single track at the end of the loop was pretty smooth still), like this or under water.

That big water crossing that used to exist just after the road crossing at about 5 miles in is no longer. I guess there's a 24 hr race on the Olmstead loop this coming weekend (I hope they fix the trail afterwords) and a crew went around building bridges at some of the major crossings, including the small lake at the end of the loop just before the parking lot. We saw the crew driving up the hill just after completing this bridge and they let us know that we were the first to cross it . I imagine that in a 24 hour race, once this bridge gets wet and it gets dark, it's going to get nasty. I bet some people take some pretty good spills here.

My rear caliper half way through the loop. The rest of my bike is looking pretty good too

* Sorry if image size kill frames for some of you. I'll resize if necessary.

is down to roll...
    The southeast valleys of Briones are still pretty muddy. 2 riders of our group almost lost shoes in the deep mud : )
    : )

Nov 2004

... and if we just ... Tamarancho in Great Condition -- 4/30/06

I rode about 1/3 of the loop today (from White Hills trail back to Iron Springs) and it was in great condition. A few nasty ruts and one muddy spot, but no dust yet.

Enjoy!

Paul

mtbr member

Santa Teresa Park...

was all good. I rode from home and hooked up with the Almaden Creek trail singletrack which was lush and a bit overgrown. Entered STP via Harry Road IBM and none of that dreaded sticky clay stuff was to be found. Up the fire road and down Rocky Ridge, up some other thing and down some other really rocky thing and back home. Overall an excellent day for a ride until while talking with a neighbor post ride I discovered my little friend THE TICK....Luckily there was only one. I can't blame him, he was just being a good tick.
    "Sometimes it's fun to make a bad decision."
    -Jerzy (my son, at 6 years old)

mtbr member

Auburn

Focking Awesome!! Got about a month before is starts getting really hot here. Auburn rules in spring and fall.
    :p

err, 27.5+
    UCSC trails in good shape. There are still some pretty good mud bogs, but the rest of the trails are perfect. Yukon climb has a couple of seasonal mud sections that are still a mess, but they are short enough to hike through. Overall this end of Santa Cruz is looking to be in pretty good shape and should be completely solid in another week or so.

Flyin Canine

Stevens Canyon Montebello

From the top of montebello down Indian creek trail to the canyon trail to pavement. All good. Stream crossing is only BB deep right now. My feet barley got wet. The rest of the trail is awesome.

mtbr member
    May 2005

China Camp

China Camp is prefectly okay and the new bridge is in place. The trails haven't gotten any steeper though...

mtbr member

JM (Joaquin Miller) update

Conditions were sweet Sunday. Warm, no clouds. More riders than hikers and big surprise, largest number of full face helmets, long travel DC in a long time. Chap is sublime as is Cindy.

Wish I was there now.
    But even a lousy downhill run is better than a day in the office!
    "SunnyRaceGirl"

www.specialized.com

mtbr member

Laguna Seca

Saturday was a blast!

47 is as sweet as ever - Hurl Hill, just as tough.

41 (goat trail) is full of sheep (and sheep sh1t), but perfect, fast trail conditions.

PO on 43 is getting greedy, but avoidable.

That sand is perfect right now. Not sludgy, but tacky and fun! Awesome.
    I knew I did not want to end up in a dark wooden box in the cold ground. If nothing else, at least I wanted to be buzzard shat on a rock in the sun.
    - slocaus

fc
    May 1

Fremont older - the seasonal closures at Toyon trail is now open. This is awesome!! This prob'ly means the seasonal closures at Saratoga gap are open too. Can someone verify??

Conditions are perfect btw.

francois

Missing NorCal riding,,,
    Apr 2006
    Reposted from the MBTB Thread:

Here's my take on Ord after this afternoon:

49 is getting beachy up at the top and the bottom half has a ton of poinson oak - most of the trail is rideable. 50 isn't that bad - there's still a bit of a track left up the hill; the part of 50 South of Eucalyptus (from 11 to the Rd) is alright - still fun, but some parts of getting a bit beachy, but they're all downhill and not too much danger of being bitten yet. Now 60 was special this afternoon...better than Pre-Otter, but it's going downhill fast (no pun intended ). 82 going up was great - nice and firm. Other sand areas are a bit of the Goat (near the west end), the bottom half of 39 is just a beach, but rideable, and on 75 the patch in the middle still has a nice trail through it and the one corner has a bit of a patch on the inside line. The three b1tches are very rideable - nice and firm. The bottom part of Skyline is a bit sandy, but nothing to worry much about. Trail 11 (Lookout Rd - heading North from Lagina Seca) is nice and fast - no sand - and the drop is more fun the faster you go.

Members who have read this thread: 0