Too Early? Downieville/Graeagle conditions 2019- Mtbr.com
    Hey, that's recyclable!
    Apr 2007

Too Early? Downieville/Graeagle conditions 2019

I suck at google and I did a quick search here in the forums and didn't see anything. Yuba Expeditions has nothing on their site. Anyone have the DL on trail conditions/expected opening dates for the Downieville and Graeagle areas? I assume they're still snow covered but hoping for a trip before the end of May.
    Thank you in advance

Flat Pluto Society
    Yuba Expeditions

530-289-3010

yubaexpeditions@gmail.com

Posted last month on the YE site: This is the Packer Saddle shuttle drop off on March 11 under 20 feet of snow. That's a lot of frozen ice that would otherwise crush spirits and dash hopes of Lost Sierra riding anytime soon. But fear not. Quincy is ready to roll and the South Park Trail network is riding sweet right now as shown in the #brownpow glory shot taken on Wednesday. And our brand new Yuba Quincy Adventure Center is starting to take shape with our grand opening coming this spring. This is our 10th shop location in the Lost Sierra (we started waaaay back in 1992) and will feature Santa Cruz Bicycles demos, shuttle rides to the top of Mount Hough and trail 411 for the Quincy and Graeagle areas. More details coming soon! #lostsierra #sierratrails #santacruzbicycles
    Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I would guess for July for snow-free riding.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Yuba Expeditions

530-289-3010

yubaexpeditions@gmail.com

Posted last month on the YE site: This is the Packer Saddle shuttle drop off on March 11 under 20 feet of snow. That's a lot of frozen ice that would otherwise crush spirits and dash hopes of Lost Sierra riding anytime soon. But fear not. Quincy is ready to roll and the South Park Trail network is riding sweet right now as shown in the #brownpow glory shot taken on Wednesday. And our brand new Yuba Quincy Adventure Center is starting to take shape with our grand opening coming this spring. This is our 10th shop location in the Lost Sierra (we started waaaay back in 1992) and will feature Santa Cruz Bicycles demos, shuttle rides to the top of Mount Hough and trail 411 for the Quincy and Graeagle areas. More details coming soon! #lostsierra #sierratrails #santacruzbicycles
    You sir are a plethora of a search functioneer!
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

Flat Pluto Society
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    You sir are a plethora of a search functioneer!
    Aww, shucks. *kicks a pebble*
    Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Last year top was open mid-May, but Sunrise was snowed in. Bet they start running shuttles partway up sometime in June, full ride open end of June / early July.

Hey, that's recyclable!
    Apr 2007
    Damnit, I clicked on the Facebook icon on the Yuba page and it took me to the SBTS page so I missed the snow update. I suck at the internet. Thank you for the info.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Endubro45 View Post
    Last year top was open mid-May, but Sunrise was snowed in. Bet they start running shuttles partway up sometime in June, full ride open end of June / early July.
    Is this based on your experience of many years in the area to come to this conclusion? Not that hardcore'ers won't trudge thru some snow banks but it sure seems like A LOT more snow up there this season.

Nobody
    Well, given that some ski resorts in the Sierras have already made plans to have skiing on 4th of July, me thinks we will be lucky to have much of any season before DST comes to an end.
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

fc
    head minion Administrator
    It will be a gamble if betting on June/July
    IPA will save America

I dig trails!
    We are looking at mid to late June for opening. If the road is plowed up The Narrows we'll start running shuttles with over-snow adventures - the benefit to hiking over some snow is hero dirt and no dust on the other side - just following on your buddy's wheel hootin' and hollerin'.

We have the Pro Trail Crew logging out the Downieville trail system now. There are a lot of trees down with the amount of snow that fell low this year.

We are looking at opening the Yuba Adventure Center in Quincy on May 20th and will be running shuttles up Mt. Hough through the season. Mt. Hough is more south facing so the melt off will happen earlier. I'll post more on this when it's more official.

P

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
    We are looking at mid to late June for opening. If the road is plowed up The Narrows we'll start running shuttles with over-snow adventures - the benefit to hiking over some snow is hero dirt and no dust on the other side - just following on your buddy's wheel hootin' and hollerin'.

We have the Pro Trail Crew logging out the Downieville trail system now. There are a lot of trees down with the amount of snow that fell low this year.

We are looking at opening the Yuba Adventure Center in Quincy on May 20th and will be running shuttles up Mt. Hough through the season. Mt. Hough is more south facing so the melt off will happen earlier. I'll post more on this when it's more official.

P
    Subscribed. Again.😁

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Lots of factors as to what will be rideable and when. The storms of the last few weeks and have been rain up to 6,000' with little new snow above. The key is if it freezes at night and slow to warm during the day (which makes for sweet corn). I would say that the higher trails in Lakes Basin and D ville will open sooner than what people think but low areas and crossing will remain wet for most the Summer. Last year the week after the last storm in late March we were dry for close to seven months with above normal temps. With that said, it will probably snow into June...

Paper or plastic?
    Looking forward to riding Mt Hough in July. Will yuba run shuttles from Quincy up?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Formerly dvo
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    Looking forward to riding Mt Hough in July. Will yuba run shuttles from Quincy up?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Yes....Mt. Hough Shuttle Information
    I'm the problem....

fc
    Some photos today from Downieville Outfitters. Below 6000, good. Above, not.Too Early? Downieville/Graeagle conditions 2019-59350723_10156022781006536_7554385017355370496_o.jpg

Too Early? Downieville/Graeagle conditions 2019-59767446_10156022781741536_1741503981764476928_o.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Yesterday a friend of mine rode up Lavezzola from town to 2nd divide, up 2nd, then up to where Pauley and Butcher meet, then up the first 3 switchbacks on Butcher, then hit snow and downed trees. But up until Butcher was clear. He did a couple of down 3rd / up 2nd laps before heading back to down to town for beers and pizza (apparently St. Charles and Two Rivers are open, but not much else).

So if you're willing to pedal up 5,600 feet for a couple of laps on 3rd divide, it's open now. Otherwise, he predicts shuttles starting late June at earliest.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by xtrwin View Post
    Yesterday a friend of mine rode up Lavezzola from town to 2nd divide, up 2nd, then up to where Pauley and Butcher meet, then up the first 3 switchbacks on Butcher, then hit snow and downed trees. But up until Butcher was clear. He did a couple of down 3rd / up 2nd laps before heading back to down to town for beers and pizza (apparently St. Charles and Two Rivers are open, but not much else).

So if you're willing to pedal up 5,600 feet for a couple of laps on 3rd divide, it's open now. Otherwise, he predicts shuttles starting late June at earliest.
    Late June at the earliest! Appreciate the intel.

Also want to get updated when the first snow-free runs at Sunrise will be.

And then Big Boulder, then Tower trail. I suspect these will be clear a bit later.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Some of the best day's Ive had in dville required a bit bit of snow hiking....or snow storming!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by DubC View Post
    Some of the best day's Ive had in dville required a bit bit of snow hiking....or snow storming!
    -Roger that! Makes for many laughs on the other side. Especially when there's still a few drifts along the way!!
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    For those who pedal, there is a plenty of riding up from and around Downieville, you can ride approximately 7.5 miles of Mills Peak from Graeagle and in Quincy the South Park and Lower Mt. Hough trails.

mtbr member
    I was able to make it about 1.5-2 miles up big boulder on Saturday and did not hit snow. Tons of debris on the trail. There was a rake up there so spent about 2-3 hours raking the lower 2 miles of BB.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlobo View Post
    I was able to make it about 1.5-2 miles up big boulder on Saturday and did not hit snow. Tons of debris on the trail. There was a rake up there so spent about 2-3 hours raking the lower 2 miles of BB.
    Fine job and report. Thank you!!
    IPA will save America

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlobo View Post
    Trail grooming kudos!💪

NedwannaB

Sounds like Kota J's outing.....

wretch
    Quote Originally Posted by Schril View Post
    For those who pedal, there is a plenty of riding up from and around Downieville, you can ride approximately 7.5 miles of Mills Peak from Graeagle and in Quincy the South Park and Lower Mt. Hough trails.
    Up to Reinhardt meadows?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Trash View Post
    Up to Reinhardt meadows?
    Yeah snow is right there at the meadow. Have to go through a couple snow patches. A couple hundred feet before the large clearing where the trail starts to go back down hill is where all snow ends.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Sounds like Kota J's outing.....
    The man, the myth, the legend! Guy can ride. And drink beers.

NedwannaB
    The man, the myth, the legend! Guy can ride. And drink beers.
    Hah! I knew it. Not sure what he does btr?!? 😎

fc
    Hole in The Ground is running good now then.
    IPA will save America

President of the Internet
    I concur. Sunrise trail Sept 2017

Too Early? Downieville/Graeagle conditions 2019-2017-09-22-12.44.22.jpg
    Sometimes you eat the trail, sometimes the trail eats you.

Thinking of buying a home?
    http://Search-Sacramento-Homes.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Just rode 11 mile loop from downtown Graeagle up to Smith Lake. Lots of snow still! A few hike a bike spots up Gray Eagle Creek Trail to Smith Lake trailhead but not bad. It's a hike to Smith Lake but rideable in spots with no snow. Smith Creek Trail had a couple snow spots but blew through them with ease. Connector Trail, Pipeline and everything back to town is awesome. It will be a while for Elwell to be rideable.

I have pictures but no easy way to upload them like always

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
    Just rode 11 mile loop from downtown Graeagle up to Smith Lake. Lots of snow still! A few hike a bike spots up Gray Eagle Creek Trail to Smith Lake trailhead but not bad. It's a hike to Smith Lake but rideable in spots with no snow. Smith Creek Trail had a couple snow spots but blew through them with ease. Connector Trail, Pipeline and everything back to town is awesome. It will be a while for Elwell to be rideable.

I have pictures but no easy way to upload them like always
    Only a couple of small snow patches, but essentially free and clear to the helicopter landing on Mills.

I dig trails!
    You can ride up to the Pauly Creek / Butcher ranch connection out of Downieville now.

Mt Hough, I believe, is up to Reinhart Meadow.

Summer is coming.

We did not get a much in the way of late-season snow, so it should melt off faster than 2017.

P

I dig trails!
    Update: Butcher Ranch up to the Waterfall is clear.

mtbr member
    You can ride up to the Pauly Creek / Butcher ranch connection out of Downieville now.

Mt Hough, I believe, is up to Reinhart Meadow.

Summer is coming.

We did not get a much in the way of late-season snow, so it should melt off faster than 2017.

P
    This weeks weather: Hold my beer....

Looks like snow accumulations of 1' - 2' at 6k elev.

fc
    Update: Butcher Ranch up to the Waterfall is clear.
    Oh man, we need some waterfall photos and video. Must be water falling!!!
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Heading up memorial Day weekend, should be good times!
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_510 View Post
    Heading up memorial Day weekend, should be good times!
    Jealous. I hear the dirt is primo rn. Heading up the weekend after I think!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Endubro45 View Post
    Jealous. I hear the dirt is primo rn. Heading up the weekend after I think!
    Looks like rain if the forecast is to be trusted :/

fc
    Here's how much snow fellToo Early? Downieville/Graeagle conditions 2019-screen-shot-2019-05-21-3.41.14-pm.jpg

Northstar today

Too Early? Downieville/Graeagle conditions 2019-60912001_10213558386929812_4080115486912675840_o.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Here's how much snow fellClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-05-21 at 3.41.14 PM.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	202.3 KB 
ID:	1252321

Northstar today

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	60912001_10213558386929812_4080115486912675840_o.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	275.4 KB 
ID:	1252322
    Ugh. I was planning on a Tahoe trip 6/8-6/9 to ride Jackass/Granite Chief area, but looks like that area might not be thawed out by then...

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Don't worry about this latest snow fall changing anything. Whatever wasn't going to melt in time up high, still isn't going to melt. Anything that was clear/clearing lower down is still the same.

I woke up to 4" at my house (at 6600') and it was all gone by 4pm.

I dig trails!
    Quote Originally Posted by nilswalk View Post
    Don't worry about this latest snow fall changing anything. Whatever wasn't going to melt in time up high, still isn't going to melt. Anything that was clear/clearing lower down is still the same.

I woke up to 4" at my house (at 6600') and it was all gone by 4pm.
    This. The fluffy stuff is gone in hours due to the temperature, it's the compacted (near-ice block) snow that remains.

50-degree rains coming next week at 7000ft. And the sun is intensely hot (when it can break through :| ) and the days long.

Melt off will be swifter than a Game of Thrones plot line finish.

Trail Gnome
    ^^^Thank you for the update

wretch
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Gigi View Post
    Ugh. I was planning on a Tahoe trip 6/8-6/9 to ride Jackass/Granite Chief area, but looks like that area might not be thawed out by then...
    Jackass is good to go - trail fairies in full force. Stuff above and near Jackass are not melted out yet.

mtbr member
    Looks like I'm getting rained out for this weekend. Bummed!

mtbr member
    How are things looking up on Mt. Hough?

I dig trails!
    Quote Originally Posted by Danimal1 View Post
    How are things looking up on Mt. Hough?
    Not to the top of Mt. Hough yet, will know more in a few days. Currently 2/3rds open. Last weekend on Mt. Hough was primo!!! Hero dirt all the way!

P

Too Early? Downieville/Graeagle conditions 2019-mthough-primo.jpg

Too Early? Downieville/Graeagle conditions 2019-mthough-primo2.jpg