Tires for TRT, SLT etc?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New question here. Tires for TRT, SLT etc?

Hey fellas, what tires and/or tire combos are you running in Tahoe/Truckee, less Northstar?

I havent ridden in the decomped granite in ages so curious what seems most popular now with more climbing and rapid shredding?

TIA

Freezer
    I just spent a week there on a DHF 2.5 front, Aggressor 2.3 rear and it worked great going up and down.

mtbr member
    I prefer DHF front and rear for any and all terrain.

Moderator Moderator
    Everyone likes DHF/DHR's, but checkout WTB Vigilante. The transition knobs on them might make your ride a bit more fun if you haven't ridden in Tahoe in a while.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Everyone likes DHF/DHR's, but checkout WTB Vigilante. The transition knobs on them might make your ride a bit more fun if you haven't ridden in Tahoe in a while.
    Thx 5k!

Please explain your reasoning?

Also, Vigilante front and rear?

Thx

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by verrocchio100 View Post
    Thx 5k!

Please explain your reasoning?

Also, Vigilante front and rear?

Thx
    See those transition knobs on the WTB Vigilante as compared with DHF? Makes the tire more forgiving on loose stuff. If you are a rider who is quick on the edges and rails corners, then I'd go with the DHF as it has huge grip on the side knobs. But, if you're not, I'd go with the WTB on the front as it has better transition grip. On the rear I like a fast rolling tire like a Minion SS or Aggressor.

WTB Vigilante 2.5

Maxxis DHF 2.5
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tires for TRT, SLT etc?-screen-shot-2019-08-11-10.42.00-pm.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    I've been curious about the new Vigilante, but f-me is it heavy.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SikeMo View Post
    I've been curious about the new Vigilante, but f-me is it heavy.
    There is a "light" version, but yep they are heavy. I'd pair with a fast rear end to compensate.

If you want light, take a XC tire, knock out it's front teeth, and you get.....

Tires for TRT, SLT etc?-continental-speed-king-ii-racesport-29er-folding-mtb-tyre-mtb-road-tyres-black-notset-100933.jpg

Guys race these things. I couldn't imagine riding one of these on anything other than a golf cart path. But, they are ultra light and roll fast, I guess.

mtbr member
    You could also just ride on the rim.

mtbr member
    I've been riding Vigilante 2.5 front, High Roller 2 rear. Great grip as things get loose around here, but the Vigilante cornering knobs are undercutting way faster than other tires I've owned.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by SierraOutsider View Post
    I've been riding Vigilante 2.5 front, High Roller 2 rear. Great grip as things get loose around here, but the Vigilante cornering knobs are undercutting way faster than other tires I've owned.
    Which model/compound?
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I've done a lot of Tahoe trails this summer on DHF/DHRII 2.3", and it has worked great (including Toads yesterday with a rather worn down rear tire).

It's nice to have some knobs on the rear for the occasional sandy uphills.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Which model/compound?
    29 2.5 light casing high grip.

Short-Change-Hero
    Tahoe trails are pretty dusty and loose right now so you are going to want something with decently sized knobs for bite. Depending on the trail you are riding this may be more or less granite pumice which tends to have its own grip characteristics.

Also depend on the trails I would not necessarily recommend a "light" tire as I have seen my fair share of slashes from roots and the few trails that have shale (like Glass Mtn) cutting tires. I have run Vittoria TNT based tires for YEARS without any issues where as with my new bike this year I have destroyed two EXO+ Maxxis tires on the same trails. Literally had a backup Vittoria GOMA TNT that was getting a bit long in the tooth (Currently riding its 4th season without puncture or issue "knockonwood") that I had to use as a front in a pinch when I destroyed a DHF 2.35.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Tahoe trails are pretty dusty and loose right now so you are going to want something with decently sized knobs for bite. Depending on the trail you are riding this may be more or less granite pumice which tends to have its own grip characteristics.

Also depend on the trails I would not necessarily recommend a "light" tire as I have seen my fair share of slashes from roots and the few trails that have shale (like Glass Mtn) cutting tires. I have run Vittoria TNT based tires for YEARS without any issues where as with my new bike this year I have destroyed two EXO+ Maxxis tires on the same trails. Literally had a backup Vittoria GOMA TNT that was getting a bit long in the tooth (Currently riding its 4th season without puncture or issue "knockonwood") that I had to use as a front in a pinch when I destroyed a DHF 2.35.
    This.

I've run Mezcal 2.35s on a 120/100mm bike pretty damn quickly on the trails mentioned. Pretty durable casing which is also surprisingly supple.
    Death from Below.

wretch
    Currently on a 2.6 Magic Mary up front and a 2.4 Eddy Current on the back. Both are fantastic tires. The next set i'm sitting on are a 2.5 Vigilante x 2.4 Judge Combo which i'm stoked to try out.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    This.

I've run Mezcal 2.35s on a 120/100mm bike pretty damn quickly on the trails mentioned. Pretty durable casing which is also surprisingly supple.
    Yep! I've run the Mezcal TNT G+'s, and they are bulletproof. But, for Tahoe might be a bit under-gunned unless you are a very, very precise expert level rider. They are not forgiving of mistakes, like my current Cross Kings.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    E13 tires in the sand and loose dirt are awesome. The new gen 3 is even better all around. But lost some of its squared shape.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    There is a "light" version, but yep they are heavy. I'd pair with a fast rear end to compensate.

If you want light, take a XC tire, knock out it's front teeth, and you get.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Continental-Speed-King-II-RaceSport-29er-Folding-MTB-Tyre-MTB-Road-Tyres-Black-NotSet-100933.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	193.9 KB 
ID:	1271111

Guys race these things. I couldn't imagine riding one of these on anything other than a golf cart path. But, they are ultra light and roll fast, I guess.
    I rode the Whole Enchilada from Hazzard with Thunder Burts (was coming back from Leadville and didn't change tires from my race setup), worked fine (not that Moab is super loose, but it has it's moments). You would be surprised how much traction tires like that have, yeah there isn't much tread, but the casing is extremely supple, so if you have the pressure perfect there's tons of grip. Unlike a real AM/DH tire though, once you lose traction it's gone, there is no drift zone.

Tires for TRT, SLT etc?-20140811_095456.jpg

For Tahoe I would ride DHF front High Roller II rear, EXO case.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhite415 View Post
    I rode the Whole Enchilada from Hazzard with Thunder Burts (was coming back from Leadville and didn't change tires from my race setup), worked fine (not that Moab is super loose, but it has it's moments). You would be surprised how much traction tires like that have, yeah there isn't much tread, but the casing is extremely supple, so if you have the pressure perfect there's tons of grip. Unlike a real AM/DH tire though, once you lose traction it's gone, there is no drift zone.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140811_095456.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	613.7 KB 
ID:	1271319

For Tahoe I would ride DHF front High Roller II rear, EXO case.
    On a hardtail! Hardcore!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Wow awesome info fellas!

I asked a few of the local bike shops (OTE et al), DHF/Aggressor are the current most popular.

How about the TrailBoss for the rear?

My riding style isnt noteworthy borderline sloppy at times. Tend to keep the tires on terra firma rather than airing it out. Spin rather than smash.

Keep the info coming!

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by verrocchio100 View Post
    Wow awesome info fellas!

I asked a few of the local bike shops (OTE et al), DHF/Aggressor are the current most popular.

How about the TrailBoss for the rear?

My riding style isnt noteworthy borderline sloppy at times. Tend to keep the tires on terra firma rather than airing it out. Spin rather than smash.

Keep the info coming!
    I have found that if you ask any shops in the area the consensus answer is always going to be something Maxxis. That is what 99% of the shops have a large inventory of unless they are a dedicated Spesh/Trek shop, then it will be Bontrager tires (SE/XR4 or 3 for this area). Outside of that they will usually have a few of the other big names like Schwalbe and Continental, maybe WTB. But that really depends. I usually use shop recommendations as what type of tread pattern works best and then pick something similar from my favorite brand.

Nothing wrong with going with Maxxis, everyone has them and you can easily replace with your flavor at any shop. I like stuff that has a tendency to give me more bang for my buck ($80+ for a tire, really Maxxis?) so that is why I have always gravitated towards Vittoria. So bummed they have gotten ride of the Goma from their line-up currently (I have a feeling it is getting redone in the G2.0 fashion).

Previous favorite setups were
    Goma 2.4 TNT Front/Martello 2.35 TNT rear
    Goma 2.4 TNT Front/Rear
    Goma 2.4 TNT Front/Barzo 2.35 TNT rear

Thinking of giving Martello 2.35 TNT front and Barzo 2.35 TNT rear a try soon here. My last Goma is dying and not overly impressed with the Maxxis Ardent 2.35 in the rear (seems to break traction at the weirdest times).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I will check into WTB, Vittoria, e13!

Thx fellas!

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Yes, tire thread! Or tire tread?
    IPA will save America