Tires for Oat Hill?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Tires for Oat Hill?

I did Oat Hill yesterday on WTB motoraptors, 2.4 front (40psi) and 2.24 rear (50psi). Skatey! Granted I think my air pressures were too high, but it still felt lots more skatey than anything up at downieville.

thanks,

-Sp

It's about showing up.

Like riding on ball bearings and sheet metal

I haven't been to Downieville this year. As I recall First Divide sounds like you are riding over broken bathroom tiles in places but that stuff at least packs down and holds more. For the rest, when you aren't navigating babyheads and boulders you are in alluvial duff which can be mixed with degraded foliage which can be grippier than the Oat Hill stuff. Oat Hill has places that are just busted up rock and scree which pile up and make traction a nightmare.
    I don't know how worn your tires are but your tire pressures could be an issue. Why 50 in the back? Are yo a big guy or on a hardtail trying to avoid snake bites? 38-43 seems to be a good range but 50 will bounce me all over the place. Check your pump against others for accuracy and then sample some other tire pressures an see what your results are.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I weigh in at 235ish with gear, hence the 50psi out back. Tires are new. 1 ride on the rear, none before oathill for the front tire. Makes me wish I was on my bullit instead.

thanks,

-Sp

Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike
    I haven't been to Downieville this year. As I recall First Divide sounds like you are riding over broken bathroom tiles in places but that stuff at least packs down and holds more. For the rest, when you aren't navigating babyheads and boulders you are in alluvial duff which can be mixed with degraded foliage which can be grippier than the Oat Hill stuff. Oat Hill has places that are just busted up rock and scree which pile up and make traction a nightmare.
    I don't know how worn your tires are but your tire pressures could be an issue. Why 50 in the back? Are yo a big guy or on a hardtail trying to avoid snake bites? 38-43 seems to be a good range but 50 will bounce me all over the place. Check your pump against others for accuracy and then sample some other tire pressures an see what your results are.

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Last time I went up there I used Weirwolf 2.5 upfront and the Mutano 2.4 in back. both pumped to upper mid 30s or so. (I don't stress to hard about it) Worked fine. Had more issues on the pilot side than the equipment side.

Werner
    Don't harsh my mello

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Way to much pressure. I am 225 and on the same size tires I run about 40 in the front and 38 psi in the rear. Try dropping pressures a bit and it should help.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I'm bass ackwards and typically run higher air pressure in the rear. I rode Santa Teresa today on the bullit and pinch flatted running 35-38psi in the front. even with 7" of travel. ugh.

-Sp

Quote Originally Posted by CDMC
    Way to much pressure. I am 225 and on the same size tires I run about 40 in the front and 38 psi in the rear. Try dropping pressures a bit and it should help.