Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Tickets hw9 UCSC?

Is this really happening again? What's with the periodic crackdowns? Luv to understand the logic, if anything there's 30% less people out now than previous.

Trail Gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by m3the01 View Post
    Is this really happening again? What's with the periodic crackdowns? Luv to understand the logic, if anything there's 30% less people out now than previous.
    Gotta pay to play sometimes.

mtbr member
    Maybe don't drop all the way into 9.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    Don't ride the trail if you can't pay the bail.

(or let your buddies drop in first)

This seems to happen once or twice a year.
    The broken are the more evolved. Rejoice.

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    How recent are you talking about. Let's just say that it was fine on Sat...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    How much is the fine these days?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I did be surprised if one car at rincon isnt riding some sort of uc. Is like asking people to ride 15mph at demo.

Nobody
    Haven't heard anything and I'm usually in those parts twice a week.

We are not doing ourselves any favors by recording data on social sites. Strava produces heat maps and it's pretty easy to study and figure out when/what areas are usually most active.

Time to start riding for the enjoyment and not the data. If what's being reported is true, just need to follow previous posters advice of not dropping to the boundaries. That's unfortunate cause there are some sweet little spots around the fringes...
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yesterday, looks to be mid afternoon... No warning just ticket.

Nobody
    Quote Originally Posted by m3the01 View Post
    Yesterday, looks to be mid afternoon... No warning just ticket.
    Sorry to hear that, man. Crazy they are enforcing on a weekday. Wonder if someone recently got hurt out there. This is what usually triggers the activity. Gonna have to keep my eyes peeled as I will be out there some time this week.

mtbr member
    There was an ticket given out last week too. Couldn’t read the date on the picture he posted, but it happened on hwy9 at the water trough.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Who is the patrolling party? Uc police? Sc police? Sc county rangers? There is so many ways down. Dont chute out.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    ^^ I think it's always Cowell rangers, since that whole wedge of land (at least the downhill trails) south of Hwy 9 is in their park.

Usually when I drop down to the highway I have a flashback to the "Cops! Cops! Cops!" video.
    Last edited by dirtvert; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    ^^ I think it's always Cowell rangers, since that whole wedge of land (at least the downhill trails) south of Hwy 9 is in their park.
    Gotta hang your California State Parks Poppy Pass from the bars as a preemptive measure when riding those trails.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Must find these trails....

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Ok, I heard it's for real.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Just ride your horse there for a while...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Strava needs real-time ranger sighting alerts in much the same way that Waze alerts drivers of police.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by CRUZe View Post
    Strava needs real-time ranger sighting alerts in much the same way that Waze alerts drivers of police.
    or not.

This is pretty unique to the Bay Area. And riders should be riding, not futzing with that thing during the ride.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    or not.

This is pretty unique to the Bay Area. And riders should be riding, not futzing with that thing during the ride.
    Sarcasm implied.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Not at all unique, historically

or not.

Back in the day CA state park rangers (IIRC) gave out plenty of speeding tickets on Mt. Tam. When lights got popular my friend got a $270 ticket for vehicular trespass for night riding somewhere in Marin, a lot of cash in 1991.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Who rides with strava anyways. What happened to just riding because we like it not needing some computer to validate how successful or not one's ride was.

singletrack bound
    Quote Originally Posted by Azflyfishing View Post
    Who rides with strava anyways. What happened to just riding because we like it not needing some computer to validate how successful or not one's ride was.
    Now that's what I'm talking about..........

I like the new guy here!

rep given!
    Last edited by Tone No Balone; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:47 PM. Reason: chiklets for the new guy!!!

mtbr member
    147k attempts up UConn.
    Only about 250 of those are from me.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by CRUZe View Post
    I would pay double Premium for that!

Azfly- I use Strava for many reasons (not speed--my KOM's are obscure/laughable), but I started so that when I was giving tours I could give people stats on milage/elevation. One cool thing is that it's like Facebook for friends that ride; even if we don't live near each other we can keep in contact and encourage each other. If anything, Strava slows me down because I like to take pictures to include with the ride report. Also, you can share gpx tracks, which can be helpful. Finally, you can check out trails and routes in unfamiliar terrain.

#donthatewhatyoudontunderstand
    Last edited by dirtvert; 1 Week Ago at 01:49 PM.

mtbr member
    with almost non-existent enforcement UC/hwy9 seems de-facto legal to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desuetude
    The seminal modern case under U.S. state law is a West Virginia opinion regarding desuetude, Committee on Legal Ethics v. Printz, 187 W.Va. 182, 416 S.E.2d 720 (1992). In that case, the West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals held that penal statutes may become void under the doctrine of desuetude if:

1. The statute proscribes only acts that are malum prohibitum (wrong because prohibited by statute) and not malum in se (intrinsically wrong);
    2. There has been open, notorious and pervasive violation of the statute for a long period; and
    3. There has been a conspicuous policy of nonenforcement of the statute.
    This holding was reaffirmed in 2003 in State ex rel. Canterbury v. Blake, 584 S.E.2d 512 (W. Va. 2003).[6]

While it may not be a violation of due process to enforce a desuetudinal law, the fact that a law has long gone unenforced may present a bar to standing in a suit to prevent its future enforcement.

Nobody
    Quote Originally Posted by azflyfishing View Post
    who rides with strava anyways. What happened to just riding because we like it not needing some computer to validate how successful or not one's ride was.
    amen!

mtbr member
    If you don't use Strava then the ride didn't happen.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by infotekt View Post
    with almost non-existent enforcement UC/hwy9 seems de-facto legal to me.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desuetude
    Well there you go then Actually the last two ticketing incidents were because of this. Rangers are out there for other business. When they encounter riders, they have to ticket/warn. If they don't say anything, it may become unenforceable. GoPro too can document a possible non-enforcement.Soooo, tickets happen.
    Last edited by fc; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:59 AM.
    IPA will save America

jms
    mtbr member
    Well there you go then

Actually the last two ticketing incidents were because of this. Rangers are out there for other business. When they encounter riders, they have to ticket/warn. If they don�t say anything, it may become unenforceable. GoPro too can document a possible non-enforcement.

Soooo, tickets happen.
    In riding, as in life, sometimes timing is everything
    My Favorite Peeps:

Axe
    Custom User Title

And that is why they do enforce on a regular enough basis.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    So it's illegal to ride trails down to hwy 9?
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017

I agree with you, but I think many would disagree with the idea that riding these trails is not malum in se, especially anti-bike conservationists and Midpen types -- they seem to think it's wrong to let our tires touch loam or roots, unless they are protected with a solid coat of gravel or pavement.

Nobody
    In my opinion, I have no complaints about this area. Occasionally, some folks pay the price and that may be me one day. The whole area is multi-jurisdictional and getting them all together to agree on the same access rules just ain't gonna happen. I have been riding here all this year and have never been bothered. I've popped out on 9 in front of rangers and Hwy Patrol and never a 2nd look. Waved hello to rangers in the woods and never an ill word or complaint.

I'm happy to leave it the way it is because so many people are enjoying this place. An uprising of questioning the legality or rights we have on his land is only going to cause more enforcement.

Ride safe and be courteous. Occasionally, you will pay to play... I would be thrilled to pay $5 to ride this place every time and would never complain. But until this area becomes privately owned by advocates, it's probably not going to happen.

We have had a longer than normal stretch of no enforcement this year which sometimes makes it even more annoying to hear acts of ticketing.

What would be nice, would be able to give specifics of locations of incidents, but I understand that would be against the forum policy. No complaints, there, either

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    This!
    You're entitled to your own opinion, but you're not entitled to your own facts.

Moderator Moderator
    Well if you don't find a way to be needlessly competitive and suck the fun out of things, then you're not being successful!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    What trails? ;D

graps the nettle
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    Technically, yes, with the exception of Emma and Uconn. At the UC land up top, UCSC has a standing policy of no bikes on anything but the fire roads. Once you enter the state park land as you drop toward 9, that is also considered a "bikes on marked, signed trails only" kind of designation. The trails, almost every single one of them, are built without any oversight - no environmental impact report, no NEPA or SEQA compliance, nothing - in many areas, building trails on state land is punishable with hefty fines. It is considered destruction of public property. So, in the eyes of those who enforce these kind of things, not only is riding the trails illegal, but the trails themselves are illegal.

The flip side of this is that since most of the trails dropping to 9 were built entirely on the sly, they don't really exist on any official maps. It's difficult to enforce behavior on trails that don't exist. Unfortunately, things like the Strava heat map have made it MUCH easier for those who would seek to clamp down on the riding of such non-existent trails to find the trails and get to work ticketing people.

This is inevitable, and there isn't much use complaining about it. The locals who drive 9 are frustrated with mountain bikers popping onto the road in front of them, riding four abreast down the highway, and parking in every wide spot between SC and Brookdale. The number of people riding the nonexistent trails has skyrocketed in the past decade, and this frustrates land managers as well as even some of the people who built the trails, since everything is getting increasingly blown out (the endless summer isn't helping much in that regard). What was once a quiet "don't ask, don't tell" stash of trails that were discreet and hard to find is now a major destination - people come from all over the Bay Area to ride there, since they don't have jack for local singletrack in their own backyards, and this further compounds the impact.
    hold my beer...

graps the nettle
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho View Post
    What trails? ;D
    Exactly!
    hold my beer...

jms
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MtotheF View Post
    Technically, yes, with the exception of Emma and Uconn. At the UC land up top, UCSC has a standing policy of no bikes on anything but the fire roads. Once you enter the state park land as you drop toward 9, that is also considered a "bikes on marked, signed trails only" kind of designation. The trails, almost every single one of them, are built without any oversight - no environmental impact report, no NEPA or SEQA compliance, nothing - in many areas, building trails on state land is punishable with hefty fines. It is considered destruction of public property. So, in the eyes of those who enforce these kind of things, not only is riding the trails illegal, but the trails themselves are illegal.

The flip side of this is that since most of the trails dropping to 9 were built entirely on the sly, they don't really exist on any official maps. It's difficult to enforce behavior on trails that don't exist. Unfortunately, things like the Strava heat map have made it MUCH easier for those who would seek to clamp down on the riding of such non-existent trails to find the trails and get to work ticketing people.

This is inevitable, and there isn't much use complaining about it. The locals who drive 9 are frustrated with mountain bikers popping onto the road in front of them, riding four abreast down the highway, and parking in every wide spot between SC and Brookdale. The number of people riding the nonexistent trails has skyrocketed in the past decade, and this frustrates land managers as well as even some of the people who built the trails, since everything is getting increasingly blown out (the endless summer isn't helping much in that regard). What was once a quiet "don't ask, don't tell" stash of trails that were discreet and hard to find is now a major destination - people come from all over the Bay Area to ride there, since they don't have jack for local singletrack in their own backyards, and this further compounds the impact.
    And that pretty covers the topic completely. The end.
    My Favorite Peeps:

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Last time I was down in UC it looked like a spider web of trails going in every direction. It was impossible to find the trail I wanted as I don't know the area. I just kind of followed the most establish route.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Unfortunately, things like the Strava heat map have made it MUCH easier for those who would seek to clamp down on the riding of such non-existent trails to find the trails and get to work ticketing people.
    I don’t think this is really a contributing factor. On any given weekend there are hundreds of mountain bikers, and the spots where the trails dump on hwy9 and blatantly obvious. If they were passionate about shutting mountain bikers down on those trails, it would be very easy. (In the short term anyways)

graps the nettle
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    I don’t think this is really a contributing factor. On any given weekend there are hundreds of mountain bikers, and the spots where the trails dump on hwy9 and blatantly obvious. If they were passionate about shutting mountain bikers down on those trails, it would be very easy. (In the short term anyways)
    True, with regard to those particular trails. Get a little further up Empire Grade, and it gets a little less obvious what everyone is doing, and where. And then the heat map becomes more of a tool.

Before I knew more about how government departments worked together (or don't work together, in this case), I always wondered why the CHP didn't post a few no parking signs then just drive up and down highway 9 dishing up fat parking tickets for everyone parked outside of the Rincon lot. Do the same with everyone parking outside of Wilder along hwy1. It would dramatically cut opportunistic shuttle parking, persuade more people to pay the parking fee at the state park lot, and generate some much needed coin that could then be fed back into the state general fund. Took a while to learn that there just isn't a whole lot of cooperative work between departments at the state level, let alone the city or county.
    hold my beer...

Professional Troll
    This is inevitable, and there isn't much use complaining about it. The locals who drive 9 are frustrated with mountain bikers popping onto the road in front of them, riding four abreast down the highway, and parking in every wide spot between SC and Brookdale.
    OMG people riding bikes on roads, and parking on the sides of roads! How will they ever survive!

Lulz. Some people need a life.

mtbr member
    Hmmm...

Over it
    Jun 2010
    ^^ Demo might be a little crowded this weekend!

Gemini- And most of the cars parked along Hwy. 9 are either homeless or kids desperately looking for the Garden of Eden!

fc
    there is a situation at nakatomi plaza.

Tickets hw9 UCSC?-45237214_10214324062628946_257087667072663552_o.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    At least Tahoe is still open...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moderator Moderator

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45237214_10214324062628946_257087667072663552_o.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	264.9 KB 
ID:	1223169
    Hans Gruber?

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Hmmm...
    Your tax dollars at work.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Your tax dollars at work.
    Knocking out car windows, dealing meth, stealing bikes, shitting on the street.....perfectly fine.
    Riding a bicycle in the woods.....ticket.

Nobody
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Knocking out car windows, dealing meth, stealing bikes, shitting on the street.....perfectly fine.
    So true. I rarely see any trash on the illegal trail system but the homeless now legally living along hwy9 throw all their trash on the side of the road and shit in the bushes. Now local tax dollars will also be used to clean up this mess. Imagine what the road side will look like when it starts raining.

Professional Troll
    They don't call it Califvckya for nothing!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    No trail is illegal. Some are merely undocumented.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Such a joke. Santa Cruz and the Bay Area. Home to Specialized, Santa Cruz, Ibis, Fox Racing, and many more global mountain bike brands...only legal legit single track...flow and braille. So pathetic.

Moderator Moderator
    Last edited by 5k bike 50cent legs; 1 Week Ago at 11:26 AM.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    We have been talking with State Parks and our elected state legislators a lot over the last few months about mountain bike access. The good news is that locally our District Management recognizes that the status quo for managing mountain biking is not working very well. Their is a recognition that there is a need for mountain bike specific trails in our area.

The bad news is that there is no framework within State Parks to provide for mountain bike specific trails. State Park trail standards mandate that pedestrians have access to all trails. Thus any trails that bikes are permitted on must adhere to their multi-use standards which require low gradient, 3-4ft width, and minimal technical challenge. Even if State Parks were to open up Henry Cowell SP West of HWY 9, trails there would have to meet these standards. Not really a viable solution at this point.

We have been advocating for an update to state park trail standards that would provide for mountain bike specific trails. This is becoming standard for many land managers throughout the country including the BLM and USFS (check out the BLM's guide for managing mountain biking). Contacting your state senator and assemblymen and letting them know that this is important to you would be a great way to help out.

State Senator Bill Monning
    State Assemblymen Mark Stone

You can also email State Parks at info@parks.ca.gov

We will be releasing more information on how the public can make an impact on this issue in the next couple of weeks which we will share here.

Matt De Young
    Executive Director
    Mountain Bikers of Santa Cruz
    matt at mbosc.org

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MBoSC View Post
    We have been talking with State Parks and our elected state legislators a lot over the last few months about mountain bike access. The good news is that locally our District Management recognizes that the status quo for managing mountain biking is not working very well.
    It worked a lot better about 20 years ago before MBoSC built and promoted access trails to all the illegal stuff.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Endubro45 View Post
    Such a joke. Santa Cruz and the Bay Area. Home to Specialized, Santa Cruz, Ibis, Fox Racing, and many more global mountain bike brands...only legal legit single track...flow and braille. So pathetic.
    Say goodbye to FOX - they are moving to GA and Reno by end of year.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    Matt- You guys are the best. Keep up the good work! I'll try to write a couple emails to our state reps today.

huck to flat
    All the more reason move out of the Bay Area or CA in general.

mtbr member
    The bad news is that there is no framework within State Parks to provide for mountain bike specific trails. State Park trail standards mandate that pedestrians have access to all trails. Thus any trails that bikes are permitted on must adhere to their multi-use standards which require low gradient, 3-4ft width, and minimal technical challenge. Even if State Parks were to open up Henry Cowell SP West of HWY 9, trails there would have to meet these standards. Not really a viable solution at this point.
    Maybe a better alternative would be for the state to donate/transfer the property west of 9 to the city or county or sell it to MBOSC.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Maybe a better alternative would be for the state to donate/transfer the property west of 9 to the city or county or sell it to MBOSC.
    That or maybe build more trails at Demo?

fc
    Matt- You guys are the best. Keep up the good work! I'll try to write a couple emails to our state reps today.
    Absolutely. They are only beacon of hope in this very difficult scenario.
    IPA will save America

Over it
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Endubro45 View Post
    That or maybe build more trails at Demo?
    One problem with that is there will always be logging happening, so you put all this work into a trail, then it gets destroyed (like Sawpit and Tractor before that). Also, with all the injuries/rescues that have occurred since the Flow trail went in I don't think they're very motivated to allow more trails.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Once you ride elsewhere, it is mind boggling how low-key and mundane the sanctioned trails around the bay area are.

mtbr member
    This, exactly. Smoking weed? All good. Vaping? Oh the horror!

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Oh crap. I vape. Gimme a ticket

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    In response to the troll blaming this on MBOSC, Were you riding here 20 years ago? There was a whole lot of fire road and an adversarial relationship with the city and state parks, and a whole lot of rutted out fire road at Wilder. There were also periodic enforcement sweeps by the rangers.
    Last edited by HarryCallahan; 1 Week Ago at 05:40 PM. Reason: clarification

mtb'er

We have been advocating for an update to state park trail standards that would provide for mountain bike specific trails.
    ^ Truth.

The other bad news is the time frame from concept to digging a new trail in CA State Parks can be 15 years.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryCallahan View Post
    In response to the troll blaming this on MBOSC, Were you riding here 20 years ago? There was a whole lot of fire road and an adversarial relationship with the city and state parks, and a whole lot of rutted out fire road at Wilder. There were also periodic enforcement sweeps by the rangers.
    Yes Sir I was, and you seem to have selectively blocked your memory.

http://forums.mtbr.com/california-no...ions-4949.html

mtbr member
    To get back to the primary thread topic....Does anyone have firsthand information on whether tickets were actually written in the last several days? Seems to me this board would be lit up if that were the case.

Could be the Rangers were patrolling for other reasons...

Seems there has been a lot of 'camping' going on in the woods since SCC is soon closing the homeless camp in Harvey West... Imagine this will continue to grow as the cold and wet moves in. As previous folks have noted, the area from 9 to the river is becoming a garbage pit.

I smelled burning plastic in the water tanks area on Monday and zeroed on a 'campsite' with some smoldering trash... awesome...not exactly a controlled burn.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Halfabrain View Post
    To get back to the primary thread topic....Does anyone have firsthand information on whether tickets were actually written in the last several days? Seems to me this board would be lit up if that were the case.

Could be the Rangers were patrolling for other reasons...

Seems there has been a lot of 'camping' going on in the woods since SCC is soon closing the homeless camp in Harvey West... Imagine this will continue to grow as the cold and wet moves in. As previous folks have noted, the area from 9 to the river is becoming a garbage pit.

I smelled burning plastic in the water tanks area on Monday and zeroed on a 'campsite' with some smoldering trash... awesome...not exactly a controlled burn.
    Yes. I have personally seen 2 tickets that were issued right off of hwy9.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    How dangerous is it to stop.. say 100ft in elevation above 9 and loop back? I'm assuming the postal routes on the other side aren't affected?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Its possible to loop back I can’t elaborate due to Fight Club rules. If you ride this area with someone familiar to the network, they can show you.
    Last edited by NORCAL1979; 1 Week Ago at 08:32 PM. Reason: misspelling

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I encountered a rider 2 weeks ago who said he was given a warning by rangers for riding one of the trails north of twin gates off of empire grade-lots of dogs up there...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NORCAL1979 View Post
    Its possible to loop back I can’t elaborate due to Fight Club rules. If you ride this area with someone familiar to the network, they can show you.
    Oh.. I know how to loop back. In fact I do almost all the time since I hate riding on 9. Just wasn't sure if they were hiking up the short distance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Ok gotcha. I was thinking the same thing regarding the same spot. Great question.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Guess I'll find out this weekend. It's short but really steep. And these guys carry some extra weight both off and sometimes on their bodies

Bummer about north of empire grade. Any beta on where they wait? Is it as simple as looking for trucks at the top?

mtbr member
    ...lots of dogs up there...
    Wow... that is really off the beaten path...didn't even know those dogs were on state park land!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Halfabrain View Post
    Wow... that is really off the beaten path...didn't even know those dogs were on state park land!
    I'm assuming they busted him coming off the trail. Still, as you mentioned, it's questionable as to the jurisdiction that far up. Although, the locals up there tend to be unfriendly in my experience. This past spring, a guy driving a motorized handicap scooter with an american flag on back blocked my van and told me I couldn't park anywhere in the neighborhood.
    Last edited by NORCAL1979; 1 Week Ago at 09:06 PM. Reason: grammar

mtbr member
    I'm assuming they busted him coming off the trail. Still, as you mentioned, it's questionable as to the jurisdiction that far up. Although, the locals up there tend to be unfriendly in my experience. This past spring, a guy driving a motorized handicap scooter with an american flag on back blocked my van and told me I couldn't park anywhere in the neighborhood.
    I wouldn’t park in the neighborhood...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    are the tickets happening on HW9 or up on the trails? very important detail to clarify so whoever is the know, please elaborate about where the "Patrols" are happening...

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by sfmtber View Post
    are the tickets happening on HW9 or up on the trails? very important detail to clarify so whoever is the know, please elaborate about where the "Patrols" are happening...
    They park at the bottom and they hike up about a quarter mile or so.

Or they start by twin gates. Many possibilities now.
    IPA will save America

middle ring single track
    As always I wish Matt and the rest of MBOSC the best of luck in getting more MTB access in Santa Cruz County.

From my perspective from a different state park in a different park district it's "no way in hell".

(As long as Cowell Redwoods is a "State Park"---flip the west side of Cowell to the City or the BLM then "maybe")

Even as a State Recreation Area things would likely be too restrictive for any DH fun.

BTW from the times of the "70 State Parks to be closed" business came the order "No New Trails In State Parks"; when I asked a few weeks ago I was told this still stands. Existing trail re-routes are still being considered and getting approval but that's about it.

The future lies in the fine print of the recently-passed Prop. 68 Bond Act; my gut feeling is that Santa Cruz may be too wealthy of an area to see much of that money for bicycling recreation.
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Also, with all the injuries/rescues that have occurred since the Flow trail went in I don't think they're very motivated to allow more trails.
    This maybe true. The first 2 times I rode at demo last year 1 person was helivac from Flow Segment 2 and the next time I had to help a rider walk out the forest after separating his shoulder on the teeter-tooter at the Braille drop in.

mtbr member
    IMO it would be best if everybody stayed away from the area for a while. There's no good that can come of riding there right now. It's blown out anyway. Go to Demo instead and ride Braille. Or even Tahoe, conditions are still good up there.

And also, who the hell parks in the neighborhoods up Empire Grade? Does anybody know what "discreet" means? This should always apply to mountain biking, but ESPECIALLY when riding on unofficial trails: don't piss people off, don't be loud, and try to be a little more self aware. We're fighting a steep uphill battle in the Bay Area, and in many other areas as well. Doing stupid s*** like parking your shuttle vehicle in a quiet, remote neighborhood to ride unsanctioned trails is ridiculous and a great way to get those residents to say "no way" if anybody ever asks them in the future if they'd be onboard with a trail up there.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by griffsterb View Post
    IMO it would be best if everybody stayed away from the area for a while. There's no good that can come of riding there right now. It's blown out anyway. Go to Demo instead and ride Braille. Or even Tahoe, conditions are still good up there.

And also, who the hell parks in the neighborhoods up Empire Grade? Does anybody know what "discreet" means? This should always apply to mountain biking, but ESPECIALLY when riding on unofficial trails: don't piss people off, don't be loud, and try to be a little more self aware. We're fighting a steep uphill battle in the Bay Area, and in many other areas as well. Doing stupid s*** like parking your shuttle vehicle in a quiet, remote neighborhood to ride unsanctioned trails is ridiculous and a great way to get those residents to say "no way" if anybody ever asks them in the future if they'd be onboard with a trail up there.
    Truer words were never spoken
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Damn they hike up a quarter mile from the road? That's rough. Hard call whether or not to ride there this weekend. May just be a demo weekend, or ride in wilder. Or maybe just rent an E-bike so you could turn around and zoom away from the rangers, lol

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45237214_10214324062628946_257087667072663552_o.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	264.9 KB 
ID:	1223169
    lol!

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomor View Post
    Damn they hike up a quarter mile from the road? That's rough. Hard call whether or not to ride there this weekend. May just be a demo weekend, or ride in wilder. Or maybe just rent an E-bike so you could turn around and zoom away from the rangers, lol
    I think the choice is very easy.

#somewhereelse
    IPA will save America

Trail Gnome
    ^^^Come on up and ride Marin...it’s like that everyday

mtbr member
    This happens in my area too. There will be a show of force with outside help, some logs will be dragged around, and then back to normal. Just stay away for awhile.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    ^^^Come on up and ride Marin...it’s like that everyday
    "Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs..."
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I wouldn’t park in the neighborhood...
    Word... Park somewhere else and ride up and in...

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I'm riding Mt. Hough tomorrow. Driving out, 2 shuttle runs, driving right back. Live the dream.

Riding in Washington really opened my eyes to how bad it is here.

Active logging and prime trails are not mutually exclusive.

My friend works for an environmental advocacy org up there and they prefer logging —*despite how sad it is to see a clearcut forest — as it keeps away all the McMansions. Temporary clearcut that is still ridable vs permanent crappy developments…

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by shapethings View Post

Active logging and prime trails are not mutually exclusive.
    Yep, that is the point of the Demonstration Forest.

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomor View Post
    \ Or maybe just rent an E-bike so you could turn around and zoom away from the rangers, lol
    Do people actually stop for rangers? I'd just keep pedaling on unless they tried to physically blockade me or something. What are they going to do?

I've been lucky though, a decade of regularly riding illegal trail in California and zero tickets, or close calls even.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    At midpen, evading ranger pull over will get reported and other rangers or local police will be waiting at trail head.

I always thought that i can hide out til dark. But thats a long wait.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast