Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dth656 View Post
    What is the "effective" time period for a first citation? Is it like w/ a moving vehicle citation, where after 18 months or something it's off your record? I'm ok paying a fun tax, but seems like a misdemeanor would have add'l legal implications.
    Forever. For all practical purposes since it's most likely in the ranger's judgement and discretion.

And if you have a misdemeanor, you may have great difficulty going the Canada aka Whistler. There is no border patrol like Canadian border patrol. They are intense and no felons are allowed to cross. Misdemeanors will be a red flag too. We once had a Whistler road trip with 10 dudes. One guy turns out stole wood to build skate jumps as a kid. Denied!!! Broke our hearts but he had to turn around go home at the border.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    I believe a misdemeanor stays on your record for life, or until it is expunged? I've never heard of anyone having an issue with international travel due to a misdemeanor?

This is good info.....

-Canada FOR SURE won't let you in if you have a DUI on your record (not that I have one). I would imagine a Felony would get you the same treatment. Who knows about Misdemeanors???

I believe a friend was told "You're undesirable" at Customs and literally turned right around at the terminal and put on the next plane back to 'Merica for having a DECADE-plus old DUI on his record....
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

Trail Gnome
    ^^^Not true, I have a dui...and I’ve been to Canada. There was no issue at the airport. I have a friend who has a bad accident on his driving record; he was turned away at the border, in the middle of the night. He came back in the morning, there was a different person working...no problem, his trip to Alaska continued.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    It's actually True. I have a 2nd friend with the same situation. He waited overnight and a different person waived him through. 1 guy Flying and 1 guy Driving....

-I think the moral of the story is "Don't count on getting in". There is "Luck" involved!
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

Trail Gnome
    ^^^oops, I read that wrong

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Yep--I had a DUI 15 years ago and have even had my record expunged and it still is an issue--you can petition but I have not tried this--another friend with a restraining order almost 30 years old got turned around when he landed in Canada. I know folks with issues that have driven and made it but the uncertainty keeps me from trying.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post

And if you have a misdemeanor, you may have great difficulty going the Canada aka Whistler. There is no border patrol like Canadian border patrol. They are intense and no felons are allowed to cross. Misdemeanors will be a red flag too. We once had a Whistler road trip with 10 dudes. One guy turns out stole wood to build skate jumps as a kid. Denied!!! Broke our hearts but he had to turn around go home at the border.
    This is the key. It's not about misdemeanors, it's whether the crime, in Canada, qualifies as a "felony". That's what matters. I think they use a 10 year "look back".
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    This is the key. It's not about misdemeanors, it's whether the crime, in Canada, qualifies as a "felony". That's what matters. I think they use a 10 year "look back".
    #wisdom

They used to have a Nat Geo show called “Border Patrol”.

They played mind games with incoming border folks all day. Would read their texts and emails and Shane them. Main offense was tying to work in Canada with no permit.
    IPA will save America

Hella Olde
    I lived in SC between 1980 and 1986, and.........well.....there was no MTB scene that I was aware of cuz we were all skaters bombing Empire Grade.

P.S. The White Lady is real and the Hole to Hell cave off Empire hosted keggers.

P.P.S. We spent many late nights in the graveyard atop the Heath tomb opening doors of perception that possibly should have remained unexplored by some.

Me - I'm 100% normal.

caw

Trail Gnome
    Any “Holiday” tickets being issued lately?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Forever. For all practical purposes since it's most likely in the ranger's judgement and discretion.

Racist. How dare a country deny entry to people from another country. The nerve to even run someone's personal info.....

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    Any “Holiday” tickets being issued lately?
    No free gifts afaik. Lot of rangers out during the weekend but they were out cutting trees near Empire
    IPA will save America

Nobody
    I haven't heard of tickets being issued in the last few weeks. Ive been there a handful of times and the Rincon lot is full of riders again.

Did some laps yesterday and other than the fact that's is a bit greasy, no issues. Last night's rain will not help matters for at least the next few days.
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

default title
    Mar 2008
    No free gifts afaik. Lot of rangers out during the weekend but they were out cutting trees near Empire
    LEOs doing tree work? I think you are confusing the CalFire crews, their handlers, State Park Ranger LEOs and State Park maintenance trail workers.
    "My opinions are often more offensive than my *******." - Twindaddy

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by kattrap View Post
    LEOs doing tree work? I think you are confusing the CalFire crews, their handlers, State Park Ranger LEOs and State Park maintenance trail workers.
    Many State Park Rangers do carry chainsaws in their vehicles and use them to clear downed trees. True this is mostly on park roads but they will go a ways out on trails. At Henry Coe SP I'd say that chainsaw usage is about 50% rangers and 50% maintenance staff. The stuff really deep in the park is usually cleared by volunteers; we can't use chainsaws per sector policy.
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

mtbr member
    Two SP trucks/workers at the trough this afternoon. Rangers.... doubtful, they were doing some kind of digging/shoveling.

bad reputation
    Me & a buddy were getting ready to drop to 9 less than an hour ago, saw 3 guys pushing their bikes up who said a group of riders had just got nailed by rangers that were hiking above the shoot. Needless to say we turned around and found another way down. I didn’t personally see the rangers, but it seemed plausible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Bottom line is it's a crap shoot (or poop chute if you like) as far as enforcement.
    I know some want to know what hours the rangers are patroling, but there aren't any. If you're riding said trails and they are in the area and they spot you, weekday or weekend, chances are you are getting a ticket. Ride at your own risk

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by kattrap View Post
    I think you are right. Their trucks had red paint on their logos/trucks. So maybel CalFire.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    There was two of the state park Dodge rams parked at the trough yesterday (12/26) afternoon, looked like they were doing some work while waiting. I was coming down and two dudes were pushing their bikes back up and warned me, so we all turned around and went out another way. Second lap they were gone but then I saw their trucks headed back up.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by xhailofgunfirex View Post
    There was two of the state park Dodge rams parked at the trough yesterday (12/26) afternoon, looked like they were doing some work while waiting. I was coming down and two dudes were pushing their bikes back up and warned me, so we all turned around and went out another way. Second lap they were gone but then I saw their trucks headed back up.
    Definitely happening. Three reports now. That waterfall exit is bad news. And if the rangers are hiking up that funnel, that is bad.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Definitely happening. Three reports now. That waterfall exit is bad news. And if the rangers are hiking up that funnel, that is bad.
    How far up are they hiking?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by noblige View Post
    How far up are they hiking?
    Till they get to the donut shop.
    Mrwhlr's stepmom rides a 5 spot

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by EndurBro View Post
    Till they get to the donut shop.
    Til the intersection where all the bros are high-fiving.
    IPA will save America

Nobody
    Pretty glad I finished my ride down LEU yesterday. The group I was leading wanted the quicker way back to the car. Guess we got lucky...
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

mtbr member
    My buddy and I were doing a quick loop and after another rider let us know that there ranger activity (much appreciated) we decided to head back to down via a more southern route and then carpool back to rincon to pick up the car afterwards.

As an aside, we saw some guy who looked like he had a broken collar bone being helped out by paramedics/firefighters at the top of uconn on our way up, super bummer for him, and I'm wondering if that had anything to do with the increased ranger activity.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Til the intersection where all the bros are high-fiving.
    Sooo... Stop at the stump then I guess

fc
    Sooo... Stop at the stump then I guess
    There are other ways below that. But i know nuthin.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Maybe people getting ticketed should have this video cued up on their phone with a plea of how important this trail network is to the global mountain bike community. MBOSC should be working for a proper exit onto 9 with a crosswalk and/or bike lane. I love how Rob basically shrugs off Marin as a lost cause in this video.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by SikeMo View Post
    Maybe people getting ticketed should have this video cued up on their phone with a plea of how important this trail network is to the global mountain bike community. MBOSC should be working for a proper exit onto 9 with a crosswalk and/or bike lane. I love how Rob basically shrugs off Marin as a lost cause in this video.

oh you went THERE.

Specialized PR issued a bigass statement to local industry about explanation and apology. MBOSC did a big policy too about industry video/photo shoots.

I wasn't sure what that was all about. Then i saw this.

Redbull TV
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    oh you went THERE.

Specialized PR issued a bigass statement to local industry about explanation and apology. MBOSC did a big policy too about industry video/photo shoots.

Redbull TV
    I guess next time Rob will have to take a sweet video descending fire roads at Wilder.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    This seems a little strange that MBOSC "did a big policy" when they actively ride and publish their rides on the illegal trails. I thought their standard practice was to ride and promote illegal trails until they can get the trails open. I would be curious to see that policy if you have it.

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    the things that will get you banned from canada are felonies in canada, such as dui. most of the misdemeanors like riding a mountain bike should be fine.

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by rox View Post
    the things that will get you banned from canada are felonies in canada, such as dui. most of the misdemeanors like riding a mountain bike should be fine.
    Did you see the new State law that just went into effect that leaving the scene of a bicycle accident on a bike path is now a felony?
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    oh you went THERE.

Redbull TV
    Do you have a link? With amount of riding Specialized does in SC/UC they should probably be contributing to trail development. Haven't heard about that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Do you have a link? With amount of riding Specialized does in SC/UC they should probably be contributing to trail development. Haven't heard about that.

They do contribute to trail development, just like all the other big corpos in the area, because they gain the most from it: Specialized Bicycles Dig Day – Mountain Bikers of Santa Cruz

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by ohmygato View Post
    This seems a little strange that MBOSC "did a big policy" when they actively ride and publish their rides on the illegal trails. I thought their standard practice was to ride and promote illegal trails until they can get the trails open. I would be curious to see that policy if you have it.
    Do you want me to send it to you so you could rip em a new one? No thanks.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Do you want me to send it to you so you could rip em a new one? No thanks.
    You brought up them writing some big policy which is incongruent with their practice and promotion of trail poaching. I'm all in favor of poaching trails just like they are but according to you it sounds like they're changing their stance on this now. I prefer they don't write some big policy against trail poaching because poaching illegal trails is what we've been doing here forever.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123