Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05 View Post
    Do people actually stop for rangers? I'd just keep pedaling on unless they tried to physically blockade me or something. What are they going to do?

I've been lucky though, a decade of regularly riding illegal trail in California and zero tickets, or close calls even.
    https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/01/...isting-arrest/

Over it
    Jun 2010
    Yeah, I think evading rangers is probably the best chance you'll ever have to say "Don't taze me, bro!"
    The broken are the more evolved. Rejoice.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    Yeah, I think evading rangers is probably the best chance you'll ever have to say "Don't taze me, bro!"
    Yep, and it's a good way to turn a small problem into a much, much bigger deal.

MT3
    mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Sigh... I really wish we could get more technical trails in the South Bay Area. I donate to mbosc whenever I can. Not all of us can afford driving to Tahoe or Downieville all the time

Anyways, riding Demo for now. It's the next best thing near south bay.

MT3
    mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    So many anti-cylist comments in that news post. Why are all these anti people living in California?

middle ring single track
    FYI State Park Rangers were recently issued Tasers for the first time. Heard some stories about test firing at each other.
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

mtbr member
    Any reports from today?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MT3 View Post
    So many anti-cylist comments in that news post. Why are all these anti people living in California?
    Whaaa...where you have been? That is the kind of folks that have been moving to CA for decades, post-Okies. They are anti everything they aren't into.

mtbr member
    Fire at Rincon right now. And to think that the fine for a campfire in Pogonip is half of the fine for riding a bike on the wrong trails.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    This fire sounds scary. No rain in sight...

https://www.ksbw.com/article/fire-pr...-cruz/24618399

mtbr member
    Sounds like the fire is contained at 8 acres. It is on the river side of Hwy 9. It is pretty smoky here, two miles south of the fire.

I hear that Hwy 9 will be closed all day, including to pedestrians and cyclists. It may be closed for a couple more days as they make sure the fire is out.

I saw campfire smoke and a green tent right off of Emma McCrary trail on Friday. I think this fire illustrates why it is good to have regular traffic through the woods. I suspect this fire was started by another homeless camper. Remember when the rangers were asking for our help with all of the arson fires a couple of years ago?

mtbr member
    New wildland fire at UCSC Crown College.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    ^^ Crap.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMachinist View Post
    Remember when the rangers were asking for our help with all of the arson fires a couple of years ago?
    The irony is pretty strong. Regardless, we REALLY need some rain.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    I heard this is not fog. It's smoke from the fires. Camera on the right

https://foxxr.com/surfcamlive/
    IPA will save America

fc
    Tickets hw9 UCSC?-screen-shot-2018-11-04-11.04.58-am.png

this morning
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thick smoke in the entire San Lorenzo Valley. Haven't seen it this bad in awhile; definitely wouldn't want to be riding in it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Demo must have been a zoo today. Just got back from Summit Store, it was packed with MTBs.

bad reputation

Tickets hw9 UCSC?

Quote Originally Posted by 121GW View Post
    Demo must have been a zoo today. Just got back from Summit Store, it was packed with MTBs.
    I climbed up Demo, but dropped the front side. A few big groups on the way up but not any more crowded than normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    The smoke is not as bad now. There have been lots of helicopters flying around. Looks like they are doing a lot of good.

I talked to a buddy of mine today. He told me he got a ticket this week. Ranger said they have more resources and are going to start enforcing more. Erosion and damage to redwood roots were cited as a couple of reasons. I wonder how much damage a 20-acre wildfire does compared to outlaw bikers.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    The smoke is not as bad now. There have been lots of helicopters flying around. Looks like they are doing a lot of good.

I talked to a buddy of mine today. He told me he got a ticket this week. Ranger said they have more resources and are going to start enforcing more. Erosion and damage to redwood roots were cited as a couple of reasons. I wonder how much damage a 20-acre wildfire does compared to outlaw bikers.

Easy way to pretend they are doing something and justify taxes, pensions, funding.

You did this to yourself by making this a one party state. That how it starts and that is how governments evolve when unchecked. Keep voting.

middle ring single track

A few points, fires are natural component of a forest ecosystem. Logging roads and built DH bike trails are not. If bikers would constrain themselves to following (unaltered) games trails this wouldn't be as much of a problem.

State Parks sees very little of the bail money; maybe 10 cents on the dollar. (This can be looked up; I'm remembering $25 a pop)

This is more about CEQA compliance than anything else. I'm sure parks is mostly worried about a potential lawsuit brought by insert environmental group here for failing in its duties in the area of natural resource protection.

I'd like to know where SC District found "more resources"; finances seem pretty meager elsewhere.

For some reason that I don't understand peeps in my park district are concerned about Prop 6 passing? (Has road money been being shifted to state parks under the table?)
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

jms
    mtbr member
    Jeezus, there'd be a lot more Rhinos and Elephants in Africa if they poached as poorly over there as TOO many of us do around here. LOL, maybe if State Parks also shot to kill, we'd, collectively, do a bit better at some of things that keep these crackdowns from occurring. Some of you guys are pretty blatant and inconsiderate to the land and populace in this neck of the woods.
    Last edited by jms; 1 Week Ago at 11:00 AM.
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Your Strava data, instagram posts, drinking in the parking lot and getting med-evac'd out are to blame - nice work guys. Not sure what everyone expected? Turn off your Strava, be responsible, and respect the laws and unwritten rules.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    On a tiny nice spot near my house - we will eventually lose it as well. Neighbor down the hill on a lookout complaining after too many medevacs out of her driveway.

Thank you, idiot irresponsible teenagers adding all the nice but illegal trails on the stupid trailforks and other apps.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    On a tiny nice spot near my house - we will eventually lose it as well. Neighbor down the hill on a lookout complaining after too many medevacs out of her driveway.

Thank you, idiot irresponsible teenagers adding all the nice but illegal trails on the stupid trailforks and other apps.
    It is not limited to teenagers. Grown adults use Strava, build trails, used trailforks and other geospatial software to log and share riding locations. Once you show someone a trail, you've jeopardized the future of that trail. I told three friends that the only way we ride is if their is no data logging and the post never show up in Stava. Well, I discovered my friends are part of the problem. Lesson learned and I now ride with a tiny crew of friends which is sad. Pretty bummed on people's decisions in this regard.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    This month: SO much drama.

Next month: Things are back to normal.

Probably.

Still, I always try to appreciate those types of trails because they could all be taken away tomorrow, either by fire or by the Man.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolai22 View Post
    Your Strava data, instagram posts, drinking in the parking lot and getting med-evac'd out are to blame - nice work guys. Not sure what everyone expected? Turn off your Strava, be responsible, and respect the laws and unwritten rules.
    . . . says the guy posting about it in a public forum. This whole thread should just be deleted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    If State Park rangers were truly trying to educate and change behavior, why didn't they utilize their partnership/contacts with MBOSC to get the word out? Sounds like they were left out in the dark.

My money is on this blowing over in a week or two just like other years.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    Still, I always try to appreciate those types of trails because they could all be taken away tomorrow, either by fire or by the Man.

As I've seen afterwards on Lime Ridge, 2 Stonyford fires, Cow Mtn, etc, dirt & rocks don't burn. Fire only takes out vegetation & wooden features. Maybe drop a tree or two across a trail. The local trail gnomes will fix all that in a week.

The Man is underfunded & understaffed. Only threat of enforcement is affordable long term ... except Mid-Pen & Marin? ;-)

OR, try to view tickets as a FUN tax. And think about how much fun you had since the last one. Its a BARGAIN, right?

Don't worry, ride happy! :-)

Catfish ...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CRUZe View Post
    If State Park rangers were truly trying to educate and change behavior, why didn't they utilize their partnership/contacts with MBOSC to get the word out? .
    Why give up the revenue by warning people?

I love living and riding in the Bay Area. The trails in the UCSC/Wilder Area are a personal favorite. But I always feel like we're just a complaint or an accident or two away form losing the fun stuff permanently.

Nobody
    I'm just happy the current crackdown isn't happening during hero conditions. These trails need a serious break, right now. Hopefully the enforcement goes on for a month or two in order to discourage a % of he current users for a while.

I have to agree with dirtvert...Every time their is a crack down, everyone screams Armageddon and starts dragging out the pitchforks and torches to decide who is to blame. Like everything else, things come in Cycles. Pun intended
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motocatfish View Post
    As I've seen afterwards on Lime Ridge, 2 Stonyford fires, Cow Mtn, etc, dirt & rocks don't burn. Fire only takes out vegetation & wooden features. Maybe drop a tree or two across a trail. The local trail gnomes will fix all that in a week.

Catfish ...
    If a big fire got out of control in SC, it could be very devastating. So many homes, and a big part of the college campus, would have no chance since they are consumed by the redwood growth.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Good legal trails are probably the best way for communities to end this so called envasion of illegal mtb trails. I'm just not sure most of California has a political climate that will allow that solution....

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I second the notion that this will all blow over in a few weeks or so as it has in the past. Until then, Iím riding Harvey West, Demo, and maybe the SJ bike park.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by motocatfish View Post

OR, try to view tickets as a FUN tax. And think about how much fun you had since the last one. Its a BARGAIN, right?

Catfish ...
    Any idea how much this FUN tax would be? Thank you.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by vitma View Post
    $3-4 hundy I hear
    IPA will save America

Nobody
    Quote Originally Posted by vitma View Post
    I can't speak to the tickets being handed out around UCSC, but some years back, I got a ticket for $375 for riding down the summit of Mission Peak.

I don't get too upset about these tickets, as long as they don't go on my driving record. Got a trail speeding ticket at Fremont Older for going 30mph on a straight down hill fire road along the top ridge and that shit went on my driving record. To add insult to injury, it was close to sunset and the delay of getting my citation left me back at my parked car on Stevens Canyon Road 10 minutes after sunset, so I had a parking ticket, too. Double Jeopardy...
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Thank you for the price information. Quite some money but if it does not happen too often probably cheaper than a gym, tennis or golf membership...which I all do not have.

mtbr member
    Seeing that all SC Parks and Open Spaces will be closed due to fire danger until further notice. 5 arrests in last 4 weeks due to the multiple suspicious fires in the area... Probably has something to do with recent enforcement.

Also, saw a few riders getting ticketed this past Sunday (11/11)on hwy9.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    Seeing that all SC Parks and Open Spaces will be closed due to fire danger until further notice. 5 arrests in last 4 weeks due to the multiple suspicious fires in the area... Probably has something to do with recent enforcement.

Also, saw a few riders getting ticketed this past Sunday (11/11)on hwy9.
    My guess is that the tickets are a side effect of the need for ranger presence as they try to get rid of campers in the forest. As we have seen lately, the campers are causing a huge problem with fires.

fc
    My guess is that the tickets are a side effect of the need for ranger presence as they try to get rid of campers in the forest. As we have seen lately, the campers are causing a huge problem with fires.
    Exactly. When they are out there looking for arsonists and needles, they have to warn/ticket mountain bikers encountered. If they ignore them, it can become unenforceable.
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Exactly. When they are out there looking for arsonists and needles, they have to warn/ticket mountain bikers encountered. If they ignore them, it can become unenforceable.
    Nah, the order of priorities for LEO in NorCal has been out of whack for a long time.

mtbr member
    Are you sure they arenít out there trying to get rid of mountain bikers on unsanctioned trails, and as a side effect the homeless feel like they can now take the forest back with less bikers around.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Are you sure they arenít out there trying to get rid of mountain bikers on unsanctioned trails, and as a side effect the homeless feel like they can now take the forest back with less bikers around.
    I'm going to try not to think that. I don't need any more reason for resentment.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by prozach0215 View Post
    Good legal trails are probably the best way for communities to end this so called envasion of illegal mtb trails. I'm just not sure most of California has a political climate that will allow that solution....
    Actually, the political climate towards MTB is fine in most of California. It is mostly the greater Bay Area, and to a lesser degree some areas around Sacramento, where we have this problem. Its severity declines as you travel away from the inner Bay Area counties.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12