Thunder Mtn. Sliver Lake Loop- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Thunder Mtn. Sliver Lake Loop

About 5 or 6 years ago I rode up Granite Lake trail at Sliver Lake and down Horse Canyon. It destroyed me and said never again. Knowing what to expect I decided to go the other way and add Thunder Mtn. I enjoyed it more this time especially descending Granite lake. Still one of the hardest 25 miles out there with lots of pushing and sand.

I started up Thunder Mtn. which starts out steep but gets easier once you get to the huge rocks and views. Classic trail that everyone should do now if you haven't. The decent down to Horse Canyon is fast and fun. Once at Horse Canyon, take a right for a fun tech downhill. Take a left for adventure and suffering.

Climbing up Horse Canyon isn't too bad at first and then you hit a sweet open meadow that you'll swear you're in Colorado. Once you're back in the trees, the hike and bike starts. Even with the moto tracks you still loose the trail at times. Hike and Bike continues until after a few miles on the jeep road at the top. After suffering in sand, the fun starts again at the top of Granite Lake trail. This trail reminds me of Bear Valley. Granite rocks and slabs with loose dirt. Not sure how long this trail is but it went on forever and I even took a few wrong turns.

Finally got to Sliver Lake and wished I parked at the bottom of Horse Canyon as I had another 3 or 4 miles back to my car. The last section climbs up to a killer ridge. Probably better to park at the bottom of Horse Canyon so you get the climbing out of the way at the beginning.

Definitely worth the ride if you're looking for something different, tech and remote. I'll probably be back next season as there are more trails to explore.

First flat section on Thunder Mtn.

Heading up to Glove Rock

Glove Rock

Colorado section at upper Horse Canyon

Suffering Starts

Fun again

Granite Lake

Final Ridge

Thunder Mtn. Silver Lake Loop at EveryTrail
    EveryTrail - Find the best Hiking in California
    Last edited by nutballchamp; 08-07-2012 at 06:37 AM.

mtb'er
    haha... it's been 15+ years, I still have no interest in hitting Squaw Ridge again!
    nice job.

Quote Originally Posted by nutballchamp View Post
    Colorado section at upper Horse Canyon
    Funny you say that... that section reminds me a little bit of Monarch Crest when I'm on it:

Members who have read this thread: 0