Thumbs Up/Props to Mrs.Obi.One! Ride report...- Mtbr.com
    Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

Good job! Thumbs Up/Props to Mrs.Obi.One! Ride report...

Went to play at Del Valle, ended up playing in it too!

Wife and I went ahead like we'd planned and headed out to Del Valle to scope things out. Rode around the west side and enjoyed the leisurly pace. Time was getting on, so we decided it was time to scope out the campground scene. Half were closed as the creeks were running full. So, what to do, what to do?

I got it, I'll ride through and see if I can make it safely across!(Insert short circuiting lightbulb above my head here.)

Rode across, wobbling through the force of the water and sliding on the slime, but made it through OK, much to the entertainment of onlookers!

~"Woo-Hoo!"

Here comes the fun part, Mrs.Obi.One decides "I wanna do it too!!".

~"Honey, I love you and all, but I'm an experienced rider, using DH tires, your XC tires will slip, do what you want, just don't blame me."

Her reply, "Stay there and help me if I fall."
    *Note: She has our phones and etc in her pockets, cross my fingers and say a prayer.
    ~"She makes it across!! No way!! Right On!! She's learning handling!! Yay!! Now we won't argue next time I want to goto Downieville or Tahoe!!"

OK let's keep going to check out the rest.
    *Here's where i forget there's another creek crossing further on.

Look at the Billy Goats eating the grass, chuckle at their behavior, and say "Ok, this side's deeper and faster, I think we should just head back, OK?"
    Her reply, "Aww come-on, I made it through the last one, I can do it."
    *Insert the "Love Me? Puppy Eye" look here.

What am I supposed to do here?? OK, try it and see.

~"I'll go first, if I fall at all you aren't going. The hospitals a ways away, and it's going too nice to get hurt."

~*(In my head)"Ride through, using mud/dh skills, head upstream at an angle then tack left to finish through, just like the last one."

Crap, sliding really fast, gonna go in...

Dabbed right foot in the water long enough to gain a foothold on the bottom, and push off to keep momentum, not fall worse, and get through as safely as possible.

"Woo-Hoo, OK now I'm going..." as she doesn't wait, and just goes.

Ok, get off the bike, she might be ok, but gotta be ready in case she slides out.

(Insert slow motion slide out, splash, and (her) laughter here.)

"I fell in! Haa-haa, come help me."

OK, she's not bleeding, isn't hurt...

"Forget chivalry, you went, and didn't even bother to ask or think about it. I'm already half wet, I'll wait here, are you ok?"

"Sure, go back through and I'll follow you out."

She gets up and starts to shuffle back the way she came, while I go back some to get enough speed and momentum to get through without further incident to check her out.

Casualties: Wet Clothes, bike, slightly bent her hanger, but otherwise intact.

The best part, spending time watching my wife's skills progress, her ability to take a fall and laugh it off, and her wanting to ride some more.

How's that for a ride report?? I'm still chuckling about it all! We had so much fun!!
    Last edited by Obi; 04-24-2006 at 07:10 PM.

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee

Nice

Quote Originally Posted by obionespeedonly
    How's that for a ride report?? I'm still chuckling about it all! We had so much fun!!
    It's soo nice to have a wife who is willing to work at it. I am equally blessed.

cyclemaven.net

Good job! Great Ride Report!

It's great to hear that Mrs. Obi is doing so well!
    Sounds like both you guys had a great time.

Keep up the good work, Mrs. Obi!!!!
    (but, next ride report is from you, right?)
    Donate now!
    I'm a roadie this year for AIDS LifeCycle. Find out more by going here:
    http://girlmeetsbike.org

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

Wink Thanks Guys!! I do feel blessed.

Especially from you guys!! I'll pass it on to her.

Ogre, we keep talking over time about eventually hooking up for a ride...one of these days!!

*Might be up in Angels, possibly May or June, and willl remember to pm you ahead of time to ride the lake if you both have the time.
    Last edited by Obi; 04-25-2006 at 04:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

... and if we just ... I wished I'd said...

"Help me, I've fallen and I can't get up!"-haaa-haa-haa!

Kallisti: I had fun falling, because believe it or not, the water wasn't really that cold. The only thing that made it bad was as I was trying to get up I kept slipping on the bottom (icky slime).

We're going to be doing the "Coyote Hills/Quarry Lakes Fun Ride" this Saturday, so I can get used to riding in a group. I'll post the story with his help later that day. If there there's pics, we'll post those too.

cyclemaven.net

Well Done!

I can see you're "catchin the bug".

If you can get some pics, definitely post in the women's lounge. It's a great place for us to all share stories.
    Donate now!
    I'm a roadie this year for AIDS LifeCycle. Find out more by going here:
    http://girlmeetsbike.org

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee

Angels

Quote Originally Posted by obionespeedonly
    Especially from you guys!! I'll pass it on to her.

Ogre, we keep talking over time about eventually hooking up for a ride...one of these days!!

*Might be up in Angels, possibly May or June, and willl remember to pm you ahead of time to ride the lake if you both have the time.
    Do you do a lot of downhill riding? Big Drops and such? I don't but I know a spot up there where there are some killer stunts set up very close to New Melones. There is a local kid up there who does stuff that people make movies out of. 15' drops, big jumps and such. I was going to try and set up a day with him and do a photo shoot. Maybe bring the camcorder. Anyhow, maybe we can do some riding at New Melones and then go over to this trail. If you don't like riding this kind of stuff then it might be worth it just to check out this kid riding.

He raced expert at Downieville last year, hit a tree and fell down a cliff... and finished 5th.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

Idea! Ogre...

sounds like a plan. I don't do big stuff anymore. Tired of being hurt, but I heard about that from Eric at Pedaler, should be worth the trip. I'll let you know in a few weeks as far as our plans.

Obi..

p.s finally watched the video of that descent of Tower Drop, nice!!

(I still hate those switchbacks though, so off-camber in parts.)
    Last edited by Obi; 04-28-2006 at 11:06 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0