Thistle proof gloves for Annadel- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Thistle proof gloves for Annadel

Looks like the thistle is back again this year. The fire must have really caused it to spread. It seems to be growing in more areas than last year.

It isn't bar height yet but it will be.

Anyone encounter this and have ideas? Last year I rode with long compression socks and Alpine star knee pads. I was picking Thistle thorns out my knuckles all summer.

Looked at some moto gloves but something that covers the finger areas with rubber or ?

J

Moderator Moderator

Flat Pluto Society
    Not a lot of things in life worse than thistles in the knuckles, fo sho. Ow.
    Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

NedwannaB
    I noticed the accelerated growth yesterday, especially in the backwoods.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

Flat Pluto Society
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Someone say backwoods???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L3orADPGFQ
    Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

Moderator Moderator
    I hit a Milk Thistle going about 30mph last year. I though I had been shot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    https://enduro-mtb.com/en/avs-racing...rotective-kit/

I remember something like this in my old moto days. Would do the trick. I have a pretty crowded cockpit though. I wonder if I could mount to the same bolt as shift or brake lever.'

J

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    yeah, they were bad on some "backwoods" trails last year after the fire. They seem to be on lower ridge and other trails now. They're gonna hurt when they grow up.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by jeph View Post
    yeah, they were bad on some "backwoods" trails last year after the fire. They seem to be on lower ridge and other trails now. They're gonna hurt when they grow up.
    Grow and dry out! 😆

Elitest thrill junkie
    Drink Stan's.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    These should be available for purchase within the next few weeks. He said he wanted to sell them for half the price as those AVS ones.

Moderator Moderator
    I think a better design might be to have them connect in the bar end. That way doesn't take up so much room on the bar.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I just ride wearing a pair of Ace Hardware work gloves. Nice gloves, leather backed but dexterous, and at 20 bucks they are a steal since the XL size fits my hands like a.....glove.
    They are just fine for the Thistles down here.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    I think a better design might be to have them connect in the bar end. That way doesn't take up so much room on the bar.
    Having played with that, I disagree, then you easily damage them when you come in contact with a tree, put the bike down on the ground, crash, etc.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    getting worse at Annadel. I don't recommend going down Shultz trail right now. going up was ok on Sunday, but I would not want to go down it right now. Lawndale is much better.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    -Get in touch with your Land-Managers and get the Ok to go remove the stuff.
    It's much easier while it's young and won't spread the seeds because it's not flowering yet.
    The FUN part is removing it completely from the area. Yes, Glad-Bag it and carry it away. That is the only way to ensure it won't come back as strong but it will come back.....the chit is unstoppable.

DO NOT use a String-Trimmer! It WILL spread the seeds everywhere and come back even worse next Spring (don't ask how I know this).
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

NedwannaB
    Land Mngr is the State.....

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by socobiker View Post
    getting worse at Annadel. I don't recommend going down Shultz trail right now. going up was ok on Sunday, but I would not want to go down it right now. Lawndale is much better.
    Agreed. Hiked Schultz->Ridge->Fenceline Ridge->back into Ridge picnic bench->Ridge->Marsh->Pig Flat->Schultz today. A little easier on foot but as I mentioned in the Jackrabbit thread of Bockchoy's, things are going to get "A Lot" worse in the near future.

Rent this space for $
    This seems to go against the typical modern mtb community mentality, at least down here , but howzabout contacting the Sector Maintenance Chief for that SP District and arrange for or join a volunteer group to get out asap and cut it back away from the trail so no one has to encounter it?

Most expect the magical trail fairy to maintain the trail rather than being part of the solution. In this case, be the solution, or at least reduce its impact.

Anytime you disturb the soil or remove the surrounding vegetation, the thistles get a stronghold. I just built and opened a 2 mile long trail down here at Montana de Oro SP and the brushed out corridor is loaded with thistle this year from all the disturbance. Once the other native vegetation springs back, which it has started, the thistle will eventually get choked but it's a nightmare in the meantime. One of our other local trail networks started getting inundated a couple years ago just along trail's edge so now we go in, like TOMORROW, and whack back the vegetation before it flowers and seeds so we can ride it comfortably. At one point two years ago, it was literally unrideable.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    but howzabout contacting the Sector Maintenance Chief for that SP District and arrange for or join a volunteer group to get out asap and cut it back away from the trail so no one has to encounter it

This is annadel. Not sure who the Sector maintenance chief is but not much trail work gets done by them. the Volunteer groups don't get to do much outside the fire roads.

Rant mode off

And yes the soil was disturbed by the fire in 2017. Probably the main cause.

clearing the vegetation back on many miles of trails is a huge undertaking. Have thought about a hike with a weed wacker in the dark with a ninja suit. interesting thought about getting other plants to take hold.

It is a temporary problem. It will dry out and wither by July.

NedwannaB
    But for the next 2 months, Yikes!

As for covert maintenance, on my hike I was thinking one of those hand swung sickles honed to a razors edge.

Rent this space for $
    but howzabout contacting the Sector Maintenance Chief for that SP District and arrange for or join a volunteer group to get out asap and cut it back away from the trail so no one has to encounter it

This is annadel. Not sure who the Sector maintenance chief is but not much trail work gets done by them. the Volunteer groups don't get to do much outside the fire roads.

Rant mode off

And yes the soil was disturbed by the fire in 2017. Probably the main cause.

clearing the vegetation back on many miles of trails is a huge undertaking. Have thought about a hike with a weed wacker in the dark with a ninja suit. interesting thought about getting other plants to take hold.

A phone call or 2 would have you in the right place. Sector Maintenance Chiefs are the bosses that call the shots to their people in the parks. I wouldn't expect SP to do ANY of it. They don't down here at MdO, either. They're stretched too thin and the park maintenance staffers could give a shit. That's why I run the group here at MdO and handle all the trail maintenance. You may not get any of the pushback you might be expecting to do this. An organized effort of a few people can get an amazing amount of work done. The problem as I experience it is no wants to put in the effort. They just expect it to get done.

Regarding the tools, those Weed Whips that you swing actually work really well. The last few I bought new were only about $13 each and I just honed the edges better than factory. We use them occasionally but most of our work is done by gas powered stringline and powered hedgers. As a leader, I have the SP Volunteer Waiver form. Workers sign in and go to work.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Repeating for clarity: Do NOT use a String-Trimmer on the Thistle.
    All you'll do is spread the seeds everywhere and it will be twice as bad next Spring.
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

Rent this space for $
    If it hasn't flowered, it's not an issue. If it has, it's a bit of a game changer and it should be left right where it's cut. Hopefully native vegetation regenerates quickly to lessen next years crop.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thistle proof gloves for Annadel-majn5t2bfaew5q8e0uwos3iruxirubkdpkkjbp9sqnq-1536x2048.jpg

Rode up Schultz on Wednesday, not sure if I've seen it that overgrown before. Couldn't avoid it in a lot of spots. Staying away from that trail until Thanos snaps the milk thistle away.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    -Unfortunately, the stuff is Flowering everywhere here in Monterey County & elsewhere....

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by shapethings View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MAJN5t2BFAEw5Q8E0UWOs3iRuxIRUbKdPkkJBp9sqNQ-1536x2048.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	160.2 KB 
ID:	1249566

Rode up Schultz on Wednesday, not sure if I've seen it that overgrown before. Couldn't avoid it in a lot of spots. Staying away from that trail until Thanos snaps the milk thistle away.
    Looks like it infilled abit more since hiking it on Tuesday!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Mechanix Impacts are pretty good for thorny object protection.