Thc spring dirt demo 2019- Mtbr.com
    Captain Trail Head

Thc spring dirt demo 2019

Thc spring dirt demo 2019-dirt-demo-sky-promo.jpg

+++UPDATED WITH BIKES+++

Thought I should post this up and let yee all know our Dirt Demo is next weekend. We're sticking to the Friday through Sunday format and this one has shaped up to be our best line up ever... The place to find all the details would be our website on the SPRING DIRT DEMO PAGE

In a nutshell though, for those who haven't been... This is our 20th year doing demos. I just heard Tom at Ibis say we pretty much invented the shop demo thing, at least in the Bay Area. This event has grown over the years and it's not a small van of a few models. This is a full swinging event with around 200 bikes for everybody. We will have full size runs of multiple models. Yes, XS through XL, this is the opportunity to ride what you want, back to back on our favorite testing grounds out at Santa Teresa Park.

Full Factory Fleets of current models from;

Ibis (Yes, they will have new bikes)

Specialized (What? Over 30 Levo's??? ...cray cray)

Transition (Where's my carbon Smuggler?)

Yeti (SUPER BIKES!)

Plus demos and showcasing from;

Trust Performance - Ride Concepts - Troy Lee Designs - SRAM - WTB - G-Form - Kali Protectives - RipRow - Ride Logic

All the good times kick off on Friday, May 3rd at high noon. Sat/Sun is 9-5

Be sure to visit the website for all the juicy details!

BIKES

Lot's of 'em...

Specialized has more bikes in their fleet than most bike shops do...
    30+ Levos in All sizes, models including carbon experts and S-Works
    40+ Stumpjumpers in all sizes, including XS and XL
    Epics too!

Ibis has a fleet that could include some more, but these for sure;
    Bikes Sm Med Large Extra Large
    Ripmo 1 2 3 2
    Mojo 3 1 1 1 1
    Mojo HD4 1 1 2 1
    Ripley 1 1 1 1

Transition pack'n 'em into the big van!
    Patrol Carbon GX Small, TR Blue)
    Patrol Carbon XO1 (Medium, TR Blue)
    Patrol Alloy XO1 (Large THC)
    Patrol Alloy GX (Medium, Sagebrush Grey)
    Patrol Carbon XO1 (Large, Sagebrush Grey)
    Patrol Alloy GX (Large, TR Blue)
    Patrol Carbon GX (X-Large, TR Blue)
    Scout Alloy NX (X-Small, Slate Blue)
    Scout Alloy NX (Small, Desert Tan)
    Scout Alloy GX (Medium, Slate Blue)
    Scout Alloy GX (Large, Slate Blue)
    Scout Alloy XO1 (Large THC)
    Sentinel Alloy GX (Medium, Pinot Noir)
    Sentinel Carbon GX (Medium, Gunmetal Grey)
    Sentinel Alloy XO (Medium THC)
    Sentinel Alloy XO1 (Large THC)
    Sentinel Alloy XO1 (XL THC)
    Sentinel Alloy GX (Large, Gunmetal Grey)
    Sentinel Carbon XO1 (Large, Gunmetal Grey)
    Sentinel Carbon GX (X-Large, Pinot Noir)
    Smuggler Carbon GX (Medium, Black Powder)
    Smuggler Carbon GX (Large, Black Powder)
    Smuggler Carbon GX (X-Large, Outlaw Orange)

YETI has a Van & Trailer!
    Sb100
    2 Sm Beti
    1 small
    2 med
    2 large
    2 XL
    Sb130
    1 small
    2 medium
    3 large
    1 XL
    Sb150
    1 small
    3 medium
    3 large
    1 XL
    Sb5
    1 XS Beti
    1 small Beti
    1 small
    1 medium LR
    1 large
    1 large LR
    1 XL
    Sb6
    1 small
    2 medium
    2 large
    1 XL

TRUST Performance
    1 M SB100
    1 L SB100
    1 M SJ ST 29
    1 L SJ ST 29
    1 L Smuggler
    1 L Ripley

Arrrribbbbbaaaaaaa!

Lars
    Last edited by lars@thc; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:59 PM. Reason: Updated
    “Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end.”
    -John Lennon

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Sweet! Will you have any DV9's?
    Ride fast. Huck bravely. Waste no beer. Safety third.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Nice. Do you have a breakdown of which models and sizes are available? A friend is looking to demo the Yeti Beti in size XS, as well as the Mojo 3 in size small.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Ibis... new bikes as in new Ripley??

Captain Trail Head
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaincyclist View Post
    Nice. Do you have a breakdown of which models and sizes are available? A friend is looking to demo the Yeti Beti in size XS, as well as the Mojo 3 in size small.
    I'm working on getting the full fleet details and will update as I get 'em. That said, I fully expect an XS Beti SB5 and we will bring our own SB100 Beti in size small (their smallest size in that one).

The Mojo 3 in small should be there as well. Gonna try to confirm it all in the next few days as the fleets are finalized!
    -John Lennon

Captain Trail Head
    Quote Originally Posted by HrznRider View Post
    Ibis... new bikes as in new Ripley??
    Ummmm, what are you talking about???

-John Lennon

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yeti on Friday?

Captain Trail Head
    Quote Originally Posted by Loll View Post
    Yeti on Friday?
    YES!

Yeti on Friday, Saturday & Sunday. I'm setting up a pair of 100's with the Trust as well. Those will be the Trust booth.

Let's pray that their van doesn't get broken into again this year!
    -John Lennon

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Another awesome event from the bike-studs at THC. Thanks Lars and crew for pushing the stoke forward.

My schedule is conspiring against me on this one but I'm sure a total blast will be had by all.

Ride hard... ;-)

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Has anyone been to this in the past? I appreciate THC setting this up, but I went to a demo event last weekend (same location, different host) and had a less than stellar experience... long lines, bikes that I wanted to demo were always out or the size wasn't available, etc. This seems like an even bigger event, so I'm curious if it's worth going to or if I'll spend most of the day standing in lines / waiting for bikes.

Captain Trail Head
    Has anyone been to this in the past? I appreciate THC setting this up, but I went to a demo event last weekend (same location, different host) and had a less than stellar experience... long lines, bikes that I wanted to demo were always out or the size wasn't available, etc. This seems like an even bigger event, so I'm curious if it's worth going to or if I'll spend most of the day standing in lines / waiting for bikes.
    This is a fantastic question! Hopefully others can chime in here for authenticity since well, it is my demo event

Here's my experience from nearly 20 years doing demos, in the old days it was rough. Didn't have too many bikes out there, maybe 20. But there were fewer folks out there too, but inevitably folks would take a bike for days and you would still often have to wait.

Flash forward and we will have over 200 bikes, five fleets of demo bikes from all these brands pulling trailers or fitting like 28 bikes in one sprinter.. crazy. We'll have a horde of riders chomping to get on certain models and those models will be tough to get on. (Ripley for expample) But there are going to be so many bikes and the lap times are quick. Most folks seem interested in riding as many back to back as possible. Also keep in mind we're up and running Friday at noon until 5, then 9 to 5 both Saturday and Sunday. It's a long day, people cycle through multiple bikes.

Between laps, grab tacos or snacks and refuel while the model you've been waiting for is getting the business on Stiles Ranch... There will be gear and new parts to check out from all the supporting brands, WTB, RC, Dakine, TLD, SRAM, Kali, G-Form, RipRow. Shit, RipRow alone would be enough to make it worth it given that Lee McCormack will be there all three days giving free skills advice with the RipRows on site.

So different than the crickets at some other events. There's enough to do and see between bikes, think of it more like a killer bike infused day of activity with demo bikes galore.

Yep, I am the most biased dude here! LoL And yes, I would highly doubt there not being some hefty lines at times... But we all bust a move to get as many folks clipped into a good riding experience, one they waited patiently for I should add Hell, I'm closing the shop Saturday and Sunday so my full staff can be out there helping.

But yes, lines are part of the dirt demo experience, even for shop owners like me when I am at the International Trade Show. If I could ride five bikes in a day, I was stoked. I know dudes who have ridden seven at my event! But most folks are done after two honestly, then the core riders get a better selection...

So there ya go, somebody who's been there before

Come on out, you'll be glad you did. Best forty bucks you'll spend all week! Oh snap, that reminds me. Some folks are really ready to buy and have it narrowed down to two or three bikes. It is so important to us that they get to ride these models, we are offering anybody a fast pass. $600 gets you in the fast lane to ride all three days, then put $500 towards a bike of your choice at no sales tax. Yep. Dial in your decision by riding killer trails, then save hundreds while you support us. The shop that created this idea of hosting dirt demos

And to mountaincyclist and all of those who appreciate what we do, thank you. Without the support, these events would never happen.

Really. Thank you.
    Lars
    -John Lennon

Captain Trail Head
    Quote Originally Posted by Callender View Post
    Sweet! Will you have any DV9's?
    I'm working on this one. They don't have them in the fleet at the moment, but if I could only get one size, which would that be, mmm?
    -John Lennon

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Will you have Ride Concepts shoes for demo?

Captain Trail Head
    Quote Originally Posted by sa12 View Post
    Will you have Ride Concepts shoes for demo?
    Stoked to not only have demos, but when you buy a pair up there, we're hooking you up with a free pair of slides :-)
    -John Lennon

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I have.
    I've been to a bunch of them.
    If I weren't going to be out of town, I'd be all over it.

default title
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by lars@thc View Post
    I'm working on this one. They don't have them in the fleet at the moment, but if I could only get one size, which would that be, mmm?
    I was also hoping for a DV9 ride and would be on a Medium. I'm sure everyone else would prefer a Large if there's only going to be one.
    "My opinions are often more offensive than my *******." - Twindaddy

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Hey Lars, thanks for putting on this awesome event! Does the $40 go towards store credit or does it only apply to admission to the demo day?

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Hey Lars, thanks for the response and adding the inventory. We'll probably come and check it out.

Few more questions:
    - Is Saturday or Sunday typically less busy?
    - When you say the event runs until 5pm, at which time will you stop allowing people to take out demos? (I ask this because at other demos they set arbitrary times and stop a lot earlier than advertised)
    - If a bike is taken, what's the process for getting it when it comes back? Do you just have to sit around until it comes back or do you take down names and then announce them so you only need to be nearby and can maybe eat or check out the vendors.
    - Are all the bikes you listed available for all 3 days (or are some packing up early)

Again, thanks for organizing this!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I've been to this a few times. Go Friday if you can. Take the Rocky Ridge loop from the lot, its a good test of climbing and descending, 3 mi lap if I recall. Get a bike, then put in your name for the next one while you're out.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Hey Lars, thanks for the response and adding the inventory. We'll probably come and check it out.

Few more questions:
    - Is Saturday or Sunday typically less busy?
    - When you say the event runs until 5pm, at which time will you stop allowing people to take out demos? (I ask this because at other demos they set arbitrary times and stop a lot earlier than advertised)
    - If a bike is taken, what's the process for getting it when it comes back? Do you just have to sit around until it comes back or do you take down names and then announce them so you only need to be nearby and can maybe eat or check out the vendors.
    - Are all the bikes you listed available for all 3 days (or are some packing up early)

Again, thanks for organizing this!
    I have been to THC demo 2.5 times. The 0.5 is that I happened to be riding Santa Teresa that day (last Fall demo) without knowing there is a demo. I didn’t pay $40 to demo any bike, but did chat with RC, Time, and G-form. I recalled RC only displayed a few pairs without stock, and Time did offer pedal demo. It is good to hear that RC up their game this time.

i did get my $40 credit for store use in the first two rounds. The first time is just a receipt proving I have been there, and the second time I have to give my contact info so they have the record in their computer. I am a happy customer using both. Not sure if this is still the case this time. They used to say it out loud on the website.

In terms of process, you registered at THC booth first to get your wrist band and Taco ticket, then move on to the brand you’re interested in. Each brand may have different process, but typically log your name, prefer bike, size, weight, and requires a credit card and/or ID while you demo. Going early is always the best way to ensure you get to try the bike you want. Although event starts at 9am for Saturday/Sunday, I would suggest arriving around 845 because there are lots of early birds. If you’re waiting for a specific bike + size, it is probably better let the brand staff know and stay nearby. Otherwise, there are so many brands and you can always find some bike in your size. I tried Scout because it is the only one in my size, and I enjoyed it a lot!

My test ride is up the fire road and down ridge trail, took me about 45min to do a loop. I typically can demo three bikes in 3-3.5hr. With water/snack break and taco lunch in between. I cannot comment on when they stop giving bikes since I typically leave before 130pm. I happened to be riding Santa Teresa last weekend as well, and noticed how long the lines were and shocked that I didn’t see bike racks. THC demo is way better than that. Each brand typically has 2+ bike racks, each holding 10+ bike. Lars said around 200 bikes total this time?!?! I would encourage people who haven’t been there give it a try.

@ Lars,
    Are we going to have bike swap in the future? I missed that a lot.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I plan to be there tomorrow at 1130 or so. Levo, Ripmo, and Ripley on the list for me

I might need lunch.........
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    I’m visiting my boys on Sunday (they live 3 miles from STCP) and we’re hoping to participate in the event.
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

More Torque
    Quick shout out to Lars, the THC crew and the participating vendors for another great demo day out at Santa Teresa. Great folks, very nice selection and quantity of bikes, reasonable wait times, plenty of drinks/snacks, and an overall cool vibe. Thanks guys!

-D

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel~ View Post
    Quick shout out to Lars, the THC crew and the participating vendors for another great demo day out at Santa Teresa. Great folks, very nice selection and quantity of bikes, reasonable wait times, plenty of drinks/snacks, and an overall cool vibe. Thanks guys!

-D
    Yeah awesome and well organized as always!! Great to see all the smile and meet new and old friends! Great time to be a mtber!

fc
    head minion Administrator
    saw Lars!!Thc spring dirt demo 2019-img_5417.jpg
    IPA will save America