Thanks to TAMBA for a great day!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2005

Thanks to TAMBA for a great day!

Thanks to Amy, Ben and all the great volunteers that made yesterdays Rose to Toads ride such a great success. Thanks for providing the means for us all to have such a great day! You guys ROCK!

Hopefully this will retire the other train wreck thread.....

I'm a "she".

4th annual TAMBA Rose to Toads ride

Double posting from the other thread: I wanted to give TAMBA a big shoutout for yet another successful run of the event! I cannot imagine how much effort Ben and Amy had put into it. I don't do organized rides/races often, but did do a couple recently. I'm more than impressed how Amy went up and beyond to accommodate as many people as possible and to do complicated shuffling to ensure everyone gets the shuttle they needed. The communication emails are always comprehensive, clear, informative, and upbeat! And this is all for a no-charge ride (we all know $20 fee cannot get you this shuttle anywhere else).

So, thank you Amy, Ben, and all the volunteers who helped make this ride so enjoyable!!!
    Inch by inch, I will get there...
    ride reports | tracks | photos
    Green Chiclets are my favorite candy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Good riding with everyone and Thanks Tamba for my first ever Rose to toads experience. I got the chance to ride with Amy for a bit as we climbed to the bench(as they call it) and apparently I passed Mudworm right before she turned right toward the flume while I went strait on the TRT. I didn't know who was who so I'd connect any names to faces but we're all mtbs so it didn't really matter.

I did by chance hook up with a completely random rider(Nate) who I'd had met at Auburn and ridden with for only a few miles like 3 years ago. Somehow Nate recognized me and we connected the dot's. It was cool because we we're both last minute entries via the few cancellation spots the day before and we ride at nearly the same pace so I'd found a riding buddy for the day who knew WTF he was going.

Props to at least the one other SSer I spotted at the start, that wasn't easy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Thank you!

Thanks everyone for the kind words. How awesome was this weekend? My favorite part is hearing about everyone adventures afterwards.

I heard that there was some drama with the evening shuttle. For that I apologize. I couldn’t be there to see how that went down. I dropped at Monument so I could get to a friend’s wedding. I was thinking of you all while I consumed all you can eat sushi at the top of the Tram in South Lake. As the sun was setting I was wondering about how many driven riders were making their way down Toads.

I’ll post some stats tomorrow after I get all the tallies.

I also want to thank the others that make this happen. Mike from Jet Lites out of Reno came out for the Spooner stop. I know he would have liked to have ridden with us, but an injury meant he was there to provide us with tasty snacks and whiskey shots. Curtis Fong from Bike the West was responsible for the Kingsbury Stop. For those of you who do not know Curtis, he organizes the Spring and Fall rides around the lake that raise a ton of money for charity and bring a lot of people to Tahoe. Bike the West and JetLites are awesome supporters of TAMBA. They donate not just money and product, but also their time.
    The shuttles were through Shuttle It and Max Jones from Flume Trail bikes. Show those guys some love. They got up early to make this happen.

The reason we put this ride together is to bring awareness to all of the work we are doing with TAMBA and to showcase some of our hard work - from repairs on the Toad’s rock garden to the sweet jumps on Corral. TAMBA is 100% volunteer run. We all have other full-time jobs.
    Thanks to those of you who are already members and who have already donated to our trails. If you aren’t already a member, consider joining! Join | Or just donate!
    Last edited by amydalayna; 09-01-2014 at 12:26 PM.
    Support TAMBA (Tahoe Area Mountain Biking Association) http://mountainbiketahoe.org/

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I also want to nominate a rider for what I'm calling the cold turkey award of the ride. The rider who trained the least and still came out for the ride. It is the very awesome TAMBA treasurer Judy. This summer she has ridden 3 mountain bike rides: The Bench, Cold Creek, and a Van Sickle shuttle. She made it all the way to Van Sickle and back to Oneidas. She is awesome.
    Support TAMBA (Tahoe Area Mountain Biking Association) http://mountainbiketahoe.org/

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thank you very much Amy, Tamba, Jet lights, Bike the West, Shuttle It and all the volunteers. Fantastic ride and venue. This is one of my favorite rides. We almost bailed before the ride since it has been a fairly hectic time for us. Really glad we stuck with the program and did this.

No real drama with the shuttle just a bit of a miss queue. Thank you Max for dealing with all us tired, hungry and stinky bikers. You make our lives so much easier.

Free whisky shots? What the heck?! I somehow missed that. Well, guess I will have to come back next year.
    Here's to sweat in your eye.

I'm a "she".
    Hi Amy, no apology is necessary, esp. from you. No drama. It started later than planned because there was confusion where the shuttle would be since we all gathered where the support crew were, and when riders went to check on the shuttle at the gate around and after 7pm a couple of times, somehow it was not seen (maybe because it was parked on the side). And then after we boarded, the shuttle had to go intercept a rider who went and had picked up pizza for her party. We had a good time chatting with Sean while waiting and while on the shuttle. I mainly felt bad for our shuttle driver. It sounded that he missed another engagement due to the long delay and had to call for backup to cover for him.

We made it to Kings Beach a little after 9pm and most restaurants were closed then. Thankfully, Lanza's Restaurant still welcomed dirty and hungry cyclists (first thing Mr. Mud asked). I'm pretty sure the chef dropped his salt jar into my dish, but guess I could use the electrolytes replenishment, so I finished it anyway.

Congrats to Judy for the cold turkey award! Can't let a little "lack of preparation/training" stop us from getting out there because the alternative is not getting out. Where is the fun in that!

I want to congratulate Mr. Mud for being the first R2T rider off the mountain. That was after a brutal day on Friday. We got up at 5am to pack and try to get on the road before the traffic. He just needed to drop off his Indian visa application in the City, which was not far out of the way. He ended up sitting in the queue for six hours with no food and water (you never know when you might be called). Can't say I was in a better position though. We were also driving a visiting coworker of mine to Tahoe for sight seeing, so he took the opportunity to take care of his long gift shopping list at Union Square. Six hours of walking from shop to shop were more brutal than any riding I've done! Needless to say, we were caught in the holiday traffic.

After the ride, since we were waiting for the shuttle, we had a chance to socialize for quite a while. Many funny moments. I here pick a few to share:

- A couple of women drove by the gathering in a very nice convertible. One woman asked the crowd, "is my husband here?" Without a second of pause, k-max raised his hand, "here!" (Have you ever seen the movie Shrek? "Pick me, Pick me!" Yeah, that's what it looked like.) It was before k-max's own family came to scoop him away.

- When Mr. Mud found the shuttle driver at the gate, he wasn't too happy about the wait since it was a bit later than 7pm. A few of us had still yet to ride out (a short way) after Justin fetched us. He said, "This was exactly where I picked up the riders in the morning (implying: of course this is where I'll be in the evening)." After a little pause, he continued, "oh... you wouldn't know that, would you?" Funny realization there. He was cool and made sure not to leave anyone behind.

- Mr. Mud was riding at his own pace (so was I). Sean and he rolled into the Tramway station closely ahead of everyone else. (Note: Sean did the Marlette Overlook.) Sounded like they didn't get to interact with each other then. When he saw that Sean walked into the market, he decided it was his chance to stay ahead of Sean (and he wasn't planning to go into the market anyway), so he rode on. Later, when we chatted post ride, Sean was surprised to hear that he did not pass Mr. Mud on his way to Xmas Valley. At the time, I could almost see the bubble over his head, "Dang, I always passed everyone; and how did I let this one escape?" Then on the long shuttle drive up, we got to chat some more. Mr. Mud mentioned that at the switchbacks before the top of Toads, a kid in Bike Works kit passed him. Sean went: "Bike Works kit? That was me!!!" Mr. Mud, "no way, it was a kid!" Sean was about to unzip his baggie shorts to show him the kit, to which Mr. Mud declined. I was ROFL'ing. Guess the world is back in order.

Good memories! We will be back. Again, thank you TAMBA!

mtb'er
    Well done, Amy, Ben, TAMBA, Jet Lites, Bike the West, Shuttle It, Flume Trail Bikes, and any other volunteer that helped put on another excellent ride!

I rode with buddies who started slow, then tapered off. With beers and burgers being ordered at the Fox and Hound, I just aimed for making it to Monument Pass to check out the new trail down to Cold Creek. It was pretty nice! I wouldn't want to go up it, but going down was fun. It just blows my mind how many great options there are off the TRT in SLT.

When it was all said and done, it felt like a fairly unstrenuous 55 miler from Rose to the bottom of Toads

Mr. P. high above Nevada:

Nice views of Jobs & Freel Peaks from the Monument Pass Trail:

mtbr member
    May 2010

Ride report.

This is mudworm posting from Mr. Mud's computer (in his account)... He wrote this report to share with close friends (as it would show in this story telling). I thought it was quite amusing so I took the liberty to copy over here on his behalf since Amy did say "My favorite part is hearing about everyone adventures afterwards."

No editing from me. So here it is including typos and all.

=============
    R2T (Rose To Toads)

We were initially going to drive up early Friday morning then work online from Truckee the rest of the day. We figured there would still be time left to work on the bikes. But, some dodgy planning on my part had me at the Indian Consulate Friday morning applying for a Visa. About 6 hours later I left and hopefully later this week I will be set to go. Things do not go quickly there and if you think DMV is bad spend a day there. Once you get to the counter service is top notch. But, getting there takes patience. One person had a letter that lacked a signature, so they waited for the boss to drive up from Redwood City to sign it. During this period of time everyone else waited as well. Another person needed a print out from the bank and left, went to the bank, got the printout then came back and finished up. We all waited, no multi-tasking here.

Anyway we headed up to Truckee in prime rush hour traffic. mudworm's co-worker from India who was going up with us to do some site seeing asked us if this was the traffic we were hoping to miss and we all groaned/laughed. We did finally make it but it was much later than anticipated and there was no online working or tinkering with bikes.

Saturday morning came plenty early, we got ready, ate, geared up and headed over to Mount Rose. There were a few other early birds at the parking lot. We took off in the first pack and initially got stuck behind a couple of riders before hitting the woods. From there Patrick stuck on my wheel and we quickly ended up at the start of the Flume Trail. Somewhere along Flume Patrick dropped off. I figured he would quickly catch back up since he is quite strong on the hills. But, like Superman, Patrick has a weakness and his is elevation. I can remember the only other time I have dropped him, in anyway, was on the Tahoe Rim Trail.

I did not see any other people until ridding down the hill to the campground. Then it was on to the Spooner checkin where I grabbed one bar and headed up to the bench. The view up here is beautiful with great vista's but I had a feeling I was out front so just kept moving along. As I got close to Kingsbury grade I started to come across the first early morning hikers of the day. Once at Kingsbury there are a couple of ways to get to the Fox and Hound which was where the second rest stop was. I think Sean Allen and I passed here. Me going one way, him going the other. He got to the check point a couple of minutes before I did. At the rest stop I filled my water and he talked with the crew before walking over to get a sandwich. After he walked off the sign in lady said, well that was Sean Allen I should check you in as well. At which point I said " that was Sean Allen, I know him."

I quickly packed up and jetted off trying to build as much lead as possible. I did fairly well and only crashed a few more times. One crash was a quite spectacular over the bars affair where I did a full face plant then the bike came crashing down on top of me. I managed to get up relatively unhurt. I got back on the bike and started to peddle on when I noticed a couple standing about 20 feet away. I cheerfully said hello and kept going on. The gal seemed a bit taken a back and managed a rather meek hi.

After a bit I came to Star Lake where two guys saw me then quickly packed up and after a bit caught me. When I topped out at Freel pass they were sitting there resting and after that I did not see them again. About the time I got to the top of Armstrong I was feeling the day. A couple of miles in I got to the big switchbacks and got passed by a young kid who was riding strong. A bit later I was hike a biking and I knew I was bonking bad so I started to force down some fig bars followed by water. This is where I started to get waves of nausea. I thought I could hold it together but then the stomach did a full on rebellion I stepped to the side and did a full belly retch. Thankfully it was just a retch and nothing came up. That seemed to do it and all systems seemed to call down. I finished my fig newtons and drank more water and started to feel better. Back on the bike to the top of Toads. Really thought Sean would have passed by now and I could back off a bit.

I made it to the top of Toads and figured I had it in hand. I did not go fast and walked more than I have in a long time but soon was hitting the lower parts of the trail. I had to double back a couple of times as I missed some intersections. Just one more small rise and the parking lot was in view and I soon heard someone say "First person off the Mountain". I was a bit shocked but quite happy.

I sat back and relaxed was offered a Tecate and good company. Soon other riders started to come in and the parking lot was full and everyone was in full story mode. Sean showed up after hitting the extra loop out to Christmas Valley and we tried to figure out how we missed each other. The guy next to me introduced himself as Nate, I then introduced myself and we chatted for a bit. After a while the guy on the single speed started to talk to Nate and asked his last name. Nate said his last name was Arnold. After a couple of minutes I said, oh, "Your Nate Arnold" he laughed. We follow each other online and I have seen his picture a few times. That was good for a laugh or two. Finally people started to head out and the shuttle van back to the parking lot showed up.

In the van Sean and I were still talking about how we missed each other. I stated the only person that passed me was the young kid in a Bike Works kit that was ridding real strong. Sean looked shocked, "Bike Works", that was me. He proceeded to pull down his shorts and show me his riding shorts, I turned to the gal next to him and told her she would have to look for me. She blushed. Now for those that do not know Sean Allen you should, but anyway Sean and I are the same age and we have met before. The entire van was laughing at this point. Sean is a much better rider than I am, but I am better looking.

There are no pictures because I was in race mode.

Sunday mudworm and I spent the day hanging out at the beach in Tahoe City, wading across the Truckee River, kayaking Lake Tahoe with Rahul, and eating lunch overlooking Emerald Bay. Rahul is a very nice gentleman and co-worker of mudworm. It was my pleasure to spend the day with him and show him a bit of Tahoe and learn a bit about India.

edit: to fix a few typos
    Last edited by mudncrud; 09-02-2014 at 09:10 AM.

Sweater
    Sounds like a great event on some great trails. Some I've ridden and some I've not. Thanks for the write-ups and photos. I need to put this ride on my list...maybe next year.
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***

mtbr member
    The weather could not have been more perfect, all the stoked out folks and the well-stocked rest stops made this the best Rose to Toads ever! This event makes every penny of the Tamba membership and the modest entry fee worth it to me.

I have so many friends that do this ride and wish I could spend more time riding with them, but for rides this long I have to just keep motoring along or my legs stop working, it was cool chatting with a lot of you if briefly!

As soon as Bike Magazine snapped the group photo in the morning to try and get a head start on the pack, I signaled to my bud Nate to follow me carrying our bikes though the field over to the trail, after a little while we started catching folks that I guess that did not stick around for the photo. Somewhere along the Stairsteps Sean Allen caught up and passed like he had never had knee surgery this summer, impressive!

Funniest moment of the day was when RojoRacing53 got slowed down by a rider in front of him just before that last switchy to the top of Freel, not really sure what happened next but suddenly he was on his back, still clipped into his peddles, bike sticking straight up like he was riding it upside down.

There was a cheering section on the top of Freel, mostly hikers from what I could tell which was very cool, they laughed saying your friends didn’t wait for you!

I try and mix things up every year with different route selections, etc, this year I decided to do it on my fat bike, by this time the hardtail was starting to work its toll on me, not that I’m ever fresh at this point anyway.

I caught back up with Nate and Rojo just prior to Freel meadows as they had stopped to refuel. We all took off again but as we descended towards the top of toads, I knew I did not have the energy or the right tool to keep up with those guys on the downhill. Toads was not particularly fun as I felt pretty beat up and being on a hardtail with a 80mm travel fork did not help, I took it slow and still was able to clean the entire trail but I was really wishing for my boca lounger 160 travel IBIS at this point.

It felt good to finish before 5, funny how no one was standing around at the bottom, I think everyone was stretched out on the pavement.

Thanks again Amy & Ben and to all to other volunteers that make this great ride happen, Cheers!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    @TahoeBC
    I heard that you did this on a fat bike. Impressive, even more impressive is you cleaned Toads on it. Good to see you out there.

mtbr member
    It’s so cool to see the buzz around this ride… something that only a few of us would keep doing year after year without much fanfare. Now we’ve managed to turn R2T into something recognized as a “must do” – not just something crazy people do.

Remember it’s a fun ride to help spread the good word of TAMBA and all the amazing trails here in Tahoe. We’ve been working with BIKE throughout the summer on a feature article to be published next spring – this ride was one that really caught the editor’s attention… so hopefully some of the shots their photography was taking in the morning make it into the mag.

Thanks to everyone that participates and shares their stories. Keep ‘em coming!

mtbr member
    my hat's off to everyone involved: the organizers, the volunteers, and the riders. all of you guys rock!!!
    51% smartass, 49% dumbass

Instagram: _parkmeister

mtbr member
    Tangentially off topic, but can I thank TAMBA in general for the great website, map and planning guide and trail work? I was up there riding this past Sunday, so I missed the group ride the day before but had an absolutely amazing ride for my first time biking there in over 20 years.

I parked at the entrance to the Railroad Grade Trail at 8am and rode it up to the Corral Trail to Sidewinder to Connector to Armstrong to the TRT and headed out to Star Lake. Every hundred feet of elevation gain became more and more taxing after the 8600ft level, and each uphill rock section I ramped up to clear left me about breathless for the next 20 seconds of climbing. I had to break for about 10 minutes at Freel Pass(9656') to catch my breath and prepare for the first section of downhill into the Star Lake area. Had lunch rested for a bit and dipped my legs into the beautiful cold lake to recharge my aching calves, before starting the long descent back to my car. Star Lake Trail started the fun and just kept on giving. I was stoked to finally get the Rip9 out on a trail it seemed truly designed for. I connected this to Cold Creek and cleared most of the boulder/rock gardens, but one was clearly more challenging and would require more precise lines and/or a bit of pace to huck the biggest drop at the end of it. More to learn for my next visit. Connected to an ATV (name?) trail and back down to the car at 2:30PM.

3hrs46mins, 25.27mi and 3800ft of elevation gain at altitude kicked my Bay Area ass around a bit, but left me wanting to come back for more, again and again.

Kudos and much gratitude to all of you who have worked and are still working to make the riding up there absolutely world class!

mtbr member
    Sure, you can thank us in this thread. That's a great loop. If you haven't ridden Tahoe in 20 years you've been missing out!

Maybe we'll see you next year on Rose to Toads...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I tried to do it but my lack of preparation kicked me in the ass literally. My brakes have always been bad but that morning my rear brake decided it wanted to completely crap out on me. Was going to bleed them the night before but my syringes I ordered had faulty seals on them. Figured I would give it a go since they were kinda still working. Yes, I was the guy who crashed in the first mile before we even made it to the bridge in the meadow (front tire washed out from using front brake in a turn >< DOH). Haha. Went a mile or so more and just decided it would be too difficult to complete the ride let alone a section of TRT with no rear brake. The bright side of the story is I live in south lake so I didn't drive far, and I am proud new owner of some Shimano XT brakes that make my old Avid seem like crap (not bashing Avid my brother has the same brakes and his have been perfect for 4 years, mine just always sucked). Anyways i'll be back next year to knock this ride out.

I'm a "she".
    Quote Originally Posted by Dispatch View Post
    I tried to do it but my lack of preparation kicked me in the ass literally. My brakes have always been bad but that morning my rear brake decided it wanted to completely crap out on me. Yes, I was the guy who crashed in the first mile before we even made it to the bridge in the meadow (front tire washed out from using front brake in a turn >< DOH). Haha. Went a mile or so more and just decided it would be too difficult to complete the ride let alone a section of TRT with no rear brake. The bright side of the story is I live in south lake so I didn't drive far, and I am proud new owner of some Shimano XT brakes that make my old Avid seem like crap (not bashing Avid my brother has the same brakes and his have been perfect for 4 years, mine just always sucked). Anyways i'll be back next year to knock this ride out.
    Oh my, I feel that I'm hearing myself talking. Here is why.

Well, I was the gal who crashed in the first mile. It could have been the same spot. Fast speed, sandy (right turn) corner. BAM! The bike washed out. If before that I was still half asleep due to the short night, I went straight to the other end of the spectrum -- dazed by the shock. I picked myself up, straightened the bar and banged the saddle back in place. The trail rash was superficial, but the right knee was a bit tweaked, which made hike-a-bikes later more painful than usual, but thankfully it didn't affect my pedaling if I kept my knee aligned just right. The fall shook me up quite a bit. Because I was behind the first pack and before the main pack, nobody saw me for that duration. So, I didn't cry and moved on.

Now, the brakes. I bought my new Shimano XT brakes last year but never found time to have them installed. With a specially busy summer, I also didn't find time to have the current brakes bled (last time was three years ago). Just before the ride at the parking lot, I was still filling the reservoir with mineral oil in my XTR BR-975 brakes, which really did squat. (The brake came with my bike purchase. Do not ever get that brake. Nothing but trouble over the years.) The BIKE magazine photographer took some photos when I did that. I'll caption them "Procrastinator." On the ride, my one finger pull often failed to slow me down, and then with the middle finger, my bike would stop cold (yeah. I learned my lesson about raising the middle finger). I crashed four more times including a spectacular OTB right in front of Patrick. I'm installing the new brakes this very week! Just watched some videos last night and it does not seem too difficult. Looking forward to the new XT brakes!

Can't wait for the next year to come!
    P.S. on second thought, I can wait.