mtbr member

Tamarancho Trails update

Here's the Tamarancho trail work schedule for this winter season:

Tamarancho Trail Work season starts next week, and as usual continues into January. Dates this year are Sat. Dec. 8 & 15, and Jan. 5, 10 & 17. Meet at main parking lot at 10:00, steady rain cancels

For something different, the following Sundays are scheduled for Flow Trail work: Sun. Dec. 9 & 16, Jan. 6, 11, & 18.
    Meet at the log ride area at 10:00, steady rain cancels.

PLEASE avoid riding Tamarancho in wet weather - it really trashes the trails. Yes, the rain alone will have its way with erosion. But especially now with plus tires we add an extra degree of erosion when riding there in wet conditions.

When you do ride there, please be ware of soil conditions. If you like hand crafted singletrack, don't ride off trail to avoid mud, that eventually widens the trail and we might as well be on fire roads. Take it easy on the brakes & STYLE the turns, don't lock it up & slide 'em. All that flying dirt may look cool in slow-mo videos, but its hell on the trails. When the dirt is gone its pretty hard to put it back.

If any of you saw the presentation on the building of Tamarancho trails at Marin Museum of Bicycling, then you may have noticed how those trails looked almost 20 years ago. Nothing stays the same, and winter rains alone are a major factor, but lets do what we can give the trails some love. And of course all this includes Endor/Flow Trail as those hand sculpted surfaces are pretty sensitive.

Enjoy!
    I like to bike.

Trail Gnome
    Are the above dates only for Flow Trail maintenance, or is this for the rest of Tamarancho too? I never ride Endor...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    What's / where is the main parking lot?

mtbr member
    The work dates are explained above - Flow Trail is separate

Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    Are the above dates only for Flow Trail maintenance, or is this for the rest of Tamarancho too? I never ride Endor...
    I like to bike.

mtbr member
    Sundays are flow trail work days. Saturdays are for the rest of Tamo.

This is at the end of Iron Springs Road and trail work days are the only time we are allowed to park up there. https://goo.gl/maps/pzACEQx85Eo

mtbr member
    Pedal or drive to the TOP of Ironsprings Rd. Go straight (bear left) when you pass the intersection of upper Broken Dam Trail. You will enter the Scout Camp where there is a parking area at the Ranger's Cabin. This is the staging area for trail work crews.

Quote Originally Posted by cassieno View Post
    I like to bike.

mtbr member

Trailwork Info

If you have never done trail work at Tamarancho, here are some notes:

Have a look at the trail map. The staging area is at the top of Ironsprings Rd, in the scout camp. There is parking at the ranger's cabin. (Much of Ironsprings Rd. is dirt and rutted, so vehicles with ultra low ground clearance take caution)

Tools will be provided. Bring work clothes- WORK GLOVES, long sleeves, pants, and rain gear if necessary. Bring water, snacks. You can bike or hike to the work areas.

Typically we will improve drainage, trim brush for improved sight lines, repair trail surface, etc.

You can ride your bike in, but it can be messy work - so shorts, short sleeve jersey & open finger gloves might not be adequate. Conditions may be cold, wet, muddy.

FYI - there were many trail work days where all I wanted to do was get out & ride my bike after a week at work. But I have NEVER regretted a single day of trail work. You get to hang with your tribe, and give a little back to the trails you love. Months later you may well pass a spot that you repaired, and THAT moment will be your payback. "I repaired that section, and it's holding up just fine".

Some members of our trail crew were 10yrs old when they started, and are parents now. Others grew older & and some are gone now. There are some who have barely missed a day in over 20yrs. It's only a few miles of singletrack, but it's our legacy & gift to Marin, and we feel pretty good about it.

Broken Dam construction April 1, 2000.
    Tamarancho Trails update-span1.jpg
    I like to bike.

mtbr member
    from the early days...

Name:  3-25-00c.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  223.7 KB

Tamarancho Trails update-4-8-00g.jpg

Tamarancho Trails update-tamarancho_best.jpg

Tamarancho Trails update-l1000441.jpg

Tamarancho Trails update-l1000431.jpg
    I like to bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairfaxian View Post
    from the early days...

Name:  3-25-00c.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  223.7 KB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4-8-00g.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	308.9 KB 
ID:	1227440

Name:	Tamarancho_Best.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	353.0 KB 
ID:	1227441

Name:	L1000441.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	461.1 KB 
ID:	1227442

Name:	L1000431.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	457.0 KB 
ID:	1227443
    Sweet old photos!

mtbr member
    Crews turned out for trailwork at Tamarancho yesterday. Mostly drainage and misc fixit stuff. I pounded some exposed rebar and also cut back some big fat poison oak vines poised to "reach out & touch someone" in a few short months.

The trails are mostly in great shape bc they were BUILT TO BE SUSTAINABLE. Looking pretty decent despite heavy traffic & weather over many years . But help will be needed on future dates. The wood/earth supports at the edges of some narrow sections will need repair to avoid collapse. Larger crews may be needed for this. Please keep mark the trailwork schedules below. If you ride Tamarancho, then step up & give back a little love. It only takes a few hrs, and there's still plenty of time to ride a lap or 2. (nothing tastes better than a cold WELL EARNED beer)

Please don't ride off trail to avoid mud or rocks- that's what turns sweet singlegtrack into nasty rutted double track. And ease up on the brakes esp when approaching switchbacks. Thats how the deep, water retaining depressions appear, and those are hell to repair. Think STYLE POINTS when you ride. If you bring new riders in, please teach 'em the finer points of sustainable riding. 15' skid marks are OK at the edge of a mine field, but not on hand built trails. If you ride a no dab lap with no skid marks, I WILL buy you a beer.

Trailwork Schedule:
    Upcoming work dates are: Saturdays. Dec. 15, and Jan. 5, 10 & 17. at 10:00. You can bike in or drive up Ironsprings Rd. Meet at main parking area at road's end (go straight past the gated right turn to Ghillottti camp). Steady rain cancels

The following Sundays are scheduled for Flow Trail (Endor) work: Sun. Dec. 16, Jan. 6, 11, & 18.
    Meet at the log ride area at 10:00, steady rain cancels. (bike in only on Flow Trail days)
    I like to bike.