Moderator Moderator

Tahoe Trail 100k

Anyone doing this. I may try to haul my fat ass around the 50k.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I do it pretty much every year. It's a fun race. It has a good amount of single track and a fun descent through Northstar at the end of the lap.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I do it just about every year as well, and always have a good time.

In addition to what Udyr said above, I would add that on course support is very good; race can be HOT, will be DUSTY.

If you can stand heat and dust, I'd say go for the full 100 -> could get yourself a Leadville coin in the lottery.

See you out there,
    Paul

Ride On!
    Does sound like fun and might just have to give the 50k a try this year. I am not a racer, but it looks like a good 50k ride to add to the bucket list. Does anyone know how quick the registration fills up ?

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    You can register more or less up to the day of the event (at least you could in years past).

My wife did the 50k two years back and the 100k this past year (en route to Leadville). She enjoyed it, although the thought of riding the 06, 700, and 900 fire roads that are a stone's throw from some of the most fun singletrack in the area boggles my mind.

mtbr member
    Hey All - reviving an old thread as this is rolling up again. Two quick questions: how steep is the tahoe trail course? Running Eagle and trying to decide on front ring.

Also are there drafting benefits or does it spread out a lot? Any need/benefit in trying to stack with a pack early?

Im not winning anything but would def grab a Leadville entry for next year if given the opp!
    Previously known as mttamrnr.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I am planning on doing it for the first time as well.

is HT the way to go?

mtbr member
    I'm riding a light full suspension because its both lighter and faster than my hardtail - and also quite a bit more fun. That said, I know a ton of folks who have raced on a hardtail before. I would def ride a hardtail over a trail bike if trying to go fast.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Hopefully some faster guys will see your questions, but I can give a few comments from the back of the pack.

Regarding steepness of course, my Garmin info shows between 7k-7.4k of climbing over 60-62 miles (I've done it a several times, there have been some course changes). If that doesn't narrow it down for you, the garmin "grade" information (which I find less accurate) shows that most of the climbing is below 10%, a bit in the 11-15% range, and then a couple spikes registering mid-20s for 1 or 2 data points. Throw those spikes out (or at least don't gear for them) and maybe go for a cassette that has a wide range (downhills can be fast) and even/close shifting on the low end (course has very little flats, you'll be shifting a lot). And bring lots of lube, you'll be collecting dust.

I don't think there are many places on the course that you can benefit from drafting, but I think it is worth getting toward the front of the race early to be well positioned for the climb out of the village because:
    - If they don't water down the start of the climb (50/50?), the dust can be brutal after a few dozen people. Bad way to start the day.
    - It's a really fast (paved) start that allows plenty of non-climbers to get in position to clog up an otherwise straightforward/short section from the gondola base to the mid-station/fire road. It's not single track, but pretty rutted-up & loose double track that plays like 2 crowded singletracks -> lots of energy burned riding at others' pace & balancing when the line stops!

Once you're out of that mess, it's good to ride w/fast riders to help w/pace, but not sure groups form (except mine, at the back!). If you look at the fast finishers, they seem to be doing it solo or in pairs, no peloton.

Bike choice depends on what you want to ride on for 60 miles. I think the Leadville website has pics of finishers you can check out, and would bet it is a healthy mix of FS and HT 29ers. Agree with etuck on HT over trail bike, but light FS if you have it. At the same time, I wouldn't get a bike specifically for this race unless you're targeting a strong finish (e.g. want to get a winner's coin as opposed to just a finish). IOW, run what you have. I've done it on a trail 26" FS, an XC FS 29", and a HT fat 26". Bike was never an issue, but glad I upgraded from the 26" FS!

mtbr member
    Thanks for data. Super helpful!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Came here because of a meetup annoucement. While I'm not in the shape to do the 50k (tho I have ridden 40miles, never at altitude or this amount of climbing). Can you shed some insight into training or what to expect for this race? I'm not "competing to win" but am doing it to finish and have fun. I'm based out of NorCal and long routes for me often involve riding in Quicksilver, Wilder or Grant Ranch.

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    It's hot, dusty, and loose, and the climbs (particularly the last one) are long and steep. At 50k, you don't really have to worry about the timing cut-offs, so that's one less thing to worry about. A lot of people who are mainly roadies/triathletes do this race, which means they're super fast on smooth, flat(ish) fire roads, but will walk steeper grades and are slow on singletrack (not that there's much of that).

If you're into getting a Leadville entry, I understand doing this race. Otherwise, there are many more enjoyable ways to ride long distances around Tahoe in mid-July.