Tahoe Sierra 100....let's hear your stories- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Tahoe Sierra 100....let's hear your stories

Awesome event this weekend at the Tahoe Sierra 100. Great weather, great vibe, awesome scenery an altogether epic race put on by Jim Northey.

My race recap is a bit long so check out my blog if you're interested.
    www.mikeharrisonracing.blogspot.com

Feral Roadie
    I actually had a pretty nice day out, no cramps, no time in the suffer box. I was riding as slow as dirt, just enjoying the ride since racing was completely out of the question. I was only out there to see if I could finish a long ride in the mountains.

The only time I was truly cursing was that last hike a bike section of powdery steep dirt before the finish.

_ Booker C. Bense

mtbr member
    great write-up Mike, thanks and congrats. It was nice to meet you (again), I'm the IF guy that passed you (ok, you were done with your Dusty corners lap and I was starting mine, but whatever, details... :0)

Please put your blog post on the other TS100 thread going so everyone there can digest what its like to completely crush the course!
    Matt

mtbr member
    My family was at the finish line when a early pro arrived, sat down to recover and passed-out.

When he woke up on the sunny asphalt, he was in shock, hyperventilating, and was going numb in the face and arms. Somehow there were no EMTs stationed at the finish line and another early finisher that was trained as a First Responder (possibly a fire fighter) came to the aid of his fellow racer. The EMT response time was ~40 min!
    I saw the racer later on and it looked like he was back to normal. The Good Samaritan racer was thanked on the podium.

I know the logistics nightmare of a 100 & 50 mile race, but let’s get some EMTs at the finish line. Possibly the finish line EMTs were dispatched out on the course for some other trouble.

mtbr member
    Here is my post that I sent to my Teamates:

Why would anyone want to do a 100 MTB race with close to 15,000 feet of climbing??!
    For me a long ride is 3-4 hours, 5 hours is epic, anything more then 5 hours I have only done maybe 5 times in my life.
    I guess one of the good things about my crash at Sea Otter is that Is that I did not race a lot so I do not feel burnt out like I usually do this time of year. Also, I feel like I wanted to end the season on a high note and try something different and very challenging. I had been thinking about doing the 50 mile race, until a friend talked me in to doing the 100, for this I will never forgive him :}
    The race starts at sunrise, 6:30am and it was 38 degrees. The first challenge, how do you stay warm knowing all the layers will be coming off in a couple hours, and you get to carry them all day? I opted for just a shell, and it stayed on me until 2hours in to the race. The promoter told us to bring a bandana to put over your face due to all the dust at the start, man was he right. I was in the top 20 riders at the start and the dust was bad! I got a great start and was just flying by people on the downhill, I love my new MTB and it was the perfect bike for this race. When we hit our first long climb of the day I forced myself to slow down, it was going to be a long, long day. My first problem started when my Polar Heart rate& speedometer stopped picking up the speed and started beeping and not keeping track of time. This is a big deal, because I needed to keep track of my ride time so I could keep on top of fueling up every hour. I replaced most of the parts 2 weeks and it has worked perfect, I have no idea what happened, but this went on for the entire race, I had to keep on restarting the start clock to keep track of my time. Got to love technology!
    About 2.5 hours in I noticed my legs were already starting to hurt, I am not sure if this was because I was going to hard or from the cold and not wearing Knee warmers. I kept on trying to slow down and last for the entire race.
    There were plenty of aid stations with all sorts of food, and I got my chain lubed 3-4 times to keep the bike going . Someone gave the idea of baking a sweet potato and eating that, and man was that a great idea!
    The terrain was typical tahoe riding , very dusty, some rocky sections and a lot of fire road. I found out after I finished that they made the course harder this year, more technical singletrack and a few hike a bikes.
    Somewhere around 7 hours in to the race my stomach really started to hurt and I was having a hard time taking in food & fluids. I was in to survival mode from this point on. The rest of the race to the finish was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. My entire body hurt, I was exhausted and just wanted to be done! Of course it was all up hill to the finish. The last aid station was 10 miles to the finish. I knew a lot of it was up hill, but believe it was the longest, most frustrating climb of my life. Every time I would turn the corner and see more climbing I would thing F%@K! Just when I though I must be done, there was steep hike a bike that caused my legs to cramp, it was so hard to just walk up it. From that point on I was fighting the cramping for the rest of the race. I finally came up to the finish and there was a crowd cheering, they announced my name, I stood up and my legs cramped up so bad I walked my bike across the finish line!
    I asked for my time 10:28..I was hoping for 9:30 and was disappointed until I found out that all the times were a lot slower since the course was so much harder this year. I went back to the cabin and just sat in the shower for what seemed like forever, ate and came back to the race venue. I found out that I won the 50 + race, by 30 minutes! That felt great and was a great way to end the season!
    Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

mtbr member

Killroy, that was me...

Yeah, that was me who helped out the fellow racer. Although I am an EMT there also was a Nurse and a Respiratory Therapist by his side. He was in good hands.

All was good, I don't believe he was transported.

Mike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stoom
    Yeah, that was me who helped out the fellow racer. Although I am an EMT there also was a Nurse and a Respiratory Therapist by his side. He was in good hands.

Mike

Dirt Deviant
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin
    I asked for my time 10:28..I was hoping for 9:30 and was disappointed until I found out that all the times were a lot slower since the course was so much harder this year. I went back to the cabin and just sat in the shower for what seemed like forever, ate and came back to the race venue. I found out that I won the 50 + race, by 30 minutes! That felt great and was a great way to end the season!
    Congrats Merlin, thats awesome!!!!
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stoom

Mike
    Mike
    Jimmy should have given 10 minutes off your race time for that!
    Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

mtbr member

Killroy !!

Get you facts right !! No EMT? There both top ER nurses dude!!!! There were 5 EMT out on course also. Lets see if you can do better!!! I am not much on big mouths after we had worked so hard.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Well--
    Total time 11:50ish....
    3 flat tires, a 20 minute restroom break, and lost for about 40 minutes (thought id like to see more of the area ....not lost because the course was mis-marked, but, lost because i was seeing two of everything...

fun race...well stocked aid stations, well marked course, fun single track..nice to be able to get on the WS trail w/out getting yelled at....

priceless riding by the aid stations and seeing people passed out on cots.....
    been there, done that, no bueno...the course was BRUTAL!!

can't wait til the 20,000 feet of climbing course next year!!

thank jimmyboy!!

love,
    mr. graveyards...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    ...does anyone know where to get the results?

mtbr member

It'snly been one day my friend!!

The full results were posted at the race for all to see all day long. The full results will be posted on tuesday afternoon. Some one had taken my trailer receiver and we could not haul the trailer home till today.
    The timing system was in the trailer. Lisa from Auburn Bike works will have them up soon.
    Mr gaveyards. You the man. Working the grave shift sucks, but your working and still racing. I was happy to see you smiling after the race. I hope to see you at the Knickerbocker 8hr October 16th in Cool Ca.
    Rich Thruman is the man!! Great job winning at good old age of 43!! Can't wait till the invite only ride on Oct 31st!!! Single track heaven!!!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    That was me that collapsed. I got awesome care and was totally fine after the great care that i got from the dudes at the race venue. By the time the ambulance arrived, there was nothing for them to do as i had been completely resuscitated by the folks at the venue!

for what its worth, the race was one of the best times i have ever had on a bike. I flew out from New York city to do the race and wasnt dissapointed. It was my first 100 mile race and i thought the support was amazing, the course was the perfect mix of fire road, double track, singletrack for a race of that distance.

If i can swing it, I will definitely be back next year!

Thanks Jimmy

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Lessons learned in this year's TS100:
    #1-don't push your equipment too hard. My 3 flats all came on bomber decents where I slammed rocks at warp 900. Slowing a little would have saved a lot.
    #2-Don't disrespect the distance! Trying to chase back after the loosing time is a bad idea at mile 5 of a 100 miler. By mile 40 I was reminded (all the way to the end). Again, slowing a little would have saved a lot.
    #3-Finally, don't finish with chamois butter left unopened!

Thanks Ben, Zol, and others for riding along with me and keeping my mind distracted from the pain. Thanks Elliot for the C02 at Red Star. Thanks Dawn for pushing me out of the last aid station. Thanks MadCat for the tacos and tube (my vote for best aid station). Thanks Jimmy and the many volunteers who put in the tremendous work that goes into these races.

See ya' next year!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Nice Recap!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

That is called your Money's worth Wade!

and a full California race experience from end to end with a lil one on one treatment at the to top it off..hope it didn't keep you away from any free beer!.....it's great to hear someone who makes the trip from back east really did have a great time....I know it makes Jimmy and the rest of the crew very happy to hear it.

Congrats to you and I hope you make it out for the wacky edition Jimmy has planned for next year (fingers crossed).
    Happy new year..Stuff $: Eno 29wheel (non disc), Yakima, 2 steelheads, with towers for Volvo luggage rails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyboy
    Get you facts right !! No EMT? There both top ER nurses dude!!!! There were 5 EMT out on course also. Lets see if you can do better!!! I am not much on big mouths after we had worked so hard.
    Jimmy, your right. I'm wrong, but I talked to some of the witnesses, and it appeared to them that there was no EMTs attending to the racer besides stoom.

mtbr member
    Lots of great stories here of people reaching super deep within themselfs. Big props to everyone who entered

NedwannaB

Nice job ol' man!

Quote Originally Posted by merlin
    I found out that I won the 50 + race, by 30 minutes! That felt great and was a great way to end the season!
    Way to go Rick. Our group did about 60 miles up there this weekend ....spread out over 3 days. I am truely humbled.
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    Ripley V4 UpDowncountry rig

mtbr member
    TAHOE SIERRA 100: Survived and conquered! 11.5 hours of grinding landed me at the top of the womens amateur field. Very much a day well spent: a lot harder than I expected, way more technical single track, took a few rolls in the dirt, minor scratches, learned that putting PBnJ sandwich squares down my sports bra for storage was an excellent source and mode of transportation for fuel. GREAT Aid Station Volunteers! Had a massive smokers cough for the 24 hours after the race from all the dust. Thought I was going to cough up a lung. Ick.

Only bummer of the day: snapped my rear derailleur cable, so had no shifting for the last 12 miles. With the 7 mile climb out for the finish, and the help of a fellow racer (THANK YOU!) who was able to jam a stick in my rear derailleur to give me a easy enough gear to turn my cranks up the last climb. finished hard and strong on my 3 speed! haha

Initially thought that this would be a ONE time thing....now I'm thinking about next year and maybe going for a 24 hour solo race in 2 months......maybe? or do i just need to take my crazy pills and settle down?

Would recommend this 100 to any serious mountain biker! Not a Roadie Course! Well marked, well volunteered, amazing personal accomplishment for anyone out there!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Best Run Race

Firstly props to Jimmy, From the great e-mails to the buffet aid stations, with jiffy lube. Nice to focus on eating while your bike is getting a service treatment. Liquids topped off and handed back to you with a great smile and encouraging word.
    All that makes for a great day and no excuses for bad performance, other than yourself. Having said that I had a great day took my time finished 10hrs 5min first time on the course but not the last .
    I usually race SS 29er, this time I chose my FS 29er ,boy was I happy. Spent a lot of time with the SS guys they were a sufferin. All in all a great day perfect weather what more could we ask for.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by onyurleft
    learned that putting PBnJ sandwich squares down my sports bra for storage was an excellent source and mode of transportation for fuel.
    that's classic right there, I will pass that tip along to my wife!

Congrats on your finish and fighting off several demons along the way!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Good job! Thanks Jim Northey & All the Volunteers

Jim/Everyone who volunteered:

You outdid yourselves!!! Fun race, great organization and good seeing all my endurance friends. I've done the 100 in the past but did the 50 this year as I am beginning to taper for an important 24 coming up. Eventhough the 50 was all fire roads the sustained climbs were the bomb ....can't wait to do the epic 100 Jim has in store for next year
    Well done GBE!

mtbr member

Your welcome! Onyurleft.

I was carefull not to chose a stick to large as that would of put you in much lower gear.... And with all the climbing left you would of passed me AGAIN!!
    Very fun day and great aid stations.

I was told we have to qualify for next years course?
    Is that right?

mtbr member
    Well, this race was bunches of fun for me. My weekend started kinda crappy on the drive up from San Diego with a blown radiator hose just outside of Sacramento on Friday afternoon, but I was able to rig a splice into the damn thing to get me up the hill for race registration. All it cost me was a few hose clamps and most of the skin off the knuckles of my left hand from some boiling coolant – still not a good way to start a race weekend!

I haven’t raced since February so I was just trying to keep a nice pace and finish sub 12 hrs on the rigid singlespeed. Other than a flat front around mile 8, my race was on schedule until my legs popped at mile 60… then it turned into “I hope to beat the cutoff time”. For those of you who singlespeed, you know that when your legs go “off” it’s difficult to get on top of your gear on the climbs and it becomes a knee grinding struggle every time the pitch reaches a certain degree. I can only equate it with what a dray horse must feel like plowing a muddy field, a horse that knows he’s gotta keep pulling or else they’re gonna send him to the glue factory... and the sag is the glue factory!! You gotta do what you gotta do sometimes right? Throw my sea level lungs into the mix, and well… I plowed a lonely furrow

Miles 60 thru 85 were spent spelunking far corners of the Pain Cave as I was beaten. I found some beautiful, primitive art back there… I always enjoy my visits to such hallowed ground. ha!

The final miles of climbing back to the finish were tolerable after I got some food energy back in me and the grade was more to my liking though I was racing only nightfall at this point. Night won I finished up in the dark at 13:20 or so I think, DFL in the SS class... but hey I finished, right?

I thought the race was well-run and I really enjoyed the course. Just riding in a new area is always interesting to me and the well-stocked aid stations run by helpful people were a plus for sure. I loved the vibe of the race, just wish I hadn't been so damn slow so I coulda socialized with my brethren a bit more at the end!

Oh, Jimmy - thanks for all the work on Red Star. It was a blast

Feral Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by foot hill

I was told we have to qualify for next years course?
    Is that right?
    From an email I got from Jim in July ( I signed up early... )

Just so you know that the racers that race in the 2010 Tahoe Sierra 100 , you will not have to qualify to get into the New 100 in 2011.
    The 2011 event course will change and will be staged as the hardest and one of the most senic 100's in North America. 75% single track. 19,000ft of climbing and 22,000ft of decending.
    - Booker C. Bense

bicycle rider
    Here's my report, you mighta seen it in the other thread.

I'm already forgetting half the pain and want to do it again.

Morgan

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Take the crazy pill and go solo.

It will never be the same... best drug ever.

Quote Originally Posted by onyurleft
    TAHOE SIERRA 100: .now I'm thinking about next year and maybe going for a 24 hour solo race in 2 months......maybe? or do i just need to take my crazy pills and settle down?
    Here's to sweat in your eye.

sbaussie
    Sep 2010

fast times at ridgetop high

What a great time! Fresh off the Leadville trail 100 (well maybe a little ripe) thought I use my dwindling fitness one more time this year. Only did the 50- to check it all out. What a great day. Was warned it was not a roadie course but it wasn't too bad. even with a couple of mishaps/ crashes and a small mechanical it was a fast enough ride. Came over the finish line covered in blood after crashing at the Soda Springs turn and Jim and crew were on it. Cleaned me all up in no time flat. Really appreciate their effort. This race is 100x times more fun than Leadville , you actually get to ride up the hills, the scenery is epic, the black top is miles away, there aren't riders everywhere you look, you can ride your race!!.So save your Lottery money, your accommodation in Vail or wherever, airfares, gas and do the whole series next year like I will.
    see you soon.

mtb'er
    Quote Originally Posted by sbaussie
    This race is 100x times more fun than Leadville , you actually get to ride up the hills, the scenery is epic, the black top is miles away, there aren't riders everywhere you look, you can ride your race!!.So save your Lottery money, your accommodation in Vail or wherever, airfares, gas and do the whole series next year like I will. see you soon.
    That's a hell of a testimonial

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Congratulations to all finishers, specially Merlin!

fc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwiktm
    Firstly props to Jimmy, From the great e-mails to the buffet aid stations, with jiffy lube. Nice to focus on eating while your bike is getting a service treatment. Liquids topped off and handed back to you with a great smile and encouraging word.
    All that makes for a great day and no excuses for bad performance, other than yourself. Having said that I had a great day took my time finished 10hrs 5min first time on the course but not the last .
    I usually race SS 29er, this time I chose my FS 29er ,boy was I happy. Spent a lot of time with the SS guys they were a sufferin. All in all a great day perfect weather what more could we ask for.
    That you Craig? Nice to meet you, and thanks for helping pass the time to Mad Cat. Nice finish!
    Matt

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by chairthruster
    That you Craig? Nice to meet you, and thanks for helping pass the time to Mad Cat. Nice finish!
    Matt
    Yes , Had a great time with you on Saturday sufferin together. See you next time, probably Cool next year.

Craig

mtbr member

Next Years race

We are not 100% sure of what the course will be. Sean Allan and I are working on it. All racers that did the race this year under the 14hour cut off have first shot at getting in .As for 19,500ft of climbing? We are going to cut that down a bit. I will let Cream Puff 100 have that.
    I would like to keep it so that the father and mother with three kids can still do it. All the racers that finished this event should be very happy with what they did. From all the racers that I talked with at the race that had done either the High Cascades 100, Leadville 100 or Cream Puff 100 they said this was much harder with only 14,000ft of climbing. We put allot into the aid stations this year. The aid station crews worked very hard to go out of there way for all the racers.
    I will tell you this next years course is allot more fun pain, allot!! More single track. As for all the racers that did the free Bus ride Epic Backwoods ride a few weeks back. They got a taste of what's to come.
    Any one ride with there GPS in the race ? Send me you readings please.
    My hats off to Kathie, the best wife in the world!!, Tracy Grant ,and Sean Allan for his helping me with racers. Auburn Bike Works staff. My hats off to the USFS in Foresthill ,Ca for letting working on trails that really needed the help. I logged in over 96 hrs myself on the trails. I look forward to seeing all of you at the Knickerbocker 50 & 8hr race Oct 16th in Cool,Ca.
    Just a heads up. My Ham operators save a mans life while the race was going on. They picked up a small signal from Loon lake over in El Dorado area.
    someone had found the man in the water and not breathing. My hams were able to get the Cal Star chopper there and fly him out while the race was running and take down all the racers numbers and times from 6 aid stations at the same time!!!.
    We use 12 hams in all at this event. 6 at the aid stations and 3 at home base. 3 out on the course with EMTS on Quads.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tahoe Sierra 100....let's hear your stories-profile-2010.jpg  

Tahoe Sierra 100....let's hear your stories-58593_1465381308397_1049448886_31113431_1100155_n.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images    

Feral Roadie
    You can find my GPS track from the 50 here if that's useful.

http://www.mtbguru.com/trip/edit/152...sierra-50-2010

- Booker C. Bense

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mudncrud
    Take the crazy pill and go solo.

It will never be the same... best drug ever.
    THANKS for the push.....Think I am 90% in. 24 hours of GOLD in Oroville, CA Nov 13th!

Got Twins?

Results!

They are Up!

http://www.globalbiorhythmevents.com/

Congrats to the class winners and everyone that finished!

We'll see you next year at the Mad Cat Aid Station with some thing different! This year it's our Bacon Taco's...Next year, you'll have to race the 100 to see what we're serving!

L8
    Mad Cat Aid Station Captain
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tahoe Sierra 100....let's hear your stories-mad-cat-signs.jpg  

Tahoe Sierra 100....let's hear your stories-bacon-tacos-.jpg  

Let us Ride!

mtbr member

Some more pictures!!

Found smashed 305 Garmin today on the Tahoe Sierra 100 trail. It was within Royal Gorge trail system. No trash at all !! Good work racers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tahoe Sierra 100....let's hear your stories-sdc10911-2-.jpg  

Tahoe Sierra 100....let's hear your stories-panoramic-2-.jpg  

mtbr member

More!!

Some great shots!! Pictures of Dawn Bean crossing the finish line racing fo GBE. Dawn raced SS in the pro womens cat and got 3nd place. What a stud!!
    Pictures of 1st place Daniel Eien from Illinois Valley Cycling coming here to Califorina and putting the hammer down on his SS.
    Mike Harrsion and Daniel were battling it out till the end. Dan just pulled away by just a few minutes on the climb at end of the race.
    Jarded Franzoia got 3nd place . Another picture of Zol Whitman with a 10th place finish in the Pro class. One picture of Pro racer from Utah Zeppelin Tittensor and his father in the back ground. Zepp place 7th in a very hard Pro class.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tahoe Sierra 100....let's hear your stories-ts-100-sept-2010-046-2-.jpg  

Tahoe Sierra 100....let's hear your stories-ts-100-sept-2010-052-2-.jpg  

Tahoe Sierra 100....let's hear your stories-ts-100-sept-2010-050-2-.jpg  

Tahoe Sierra 100....let's hear your stories-ts-100-sept-2010-044-3-.jpg  

bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyboy
    Any one ride with there GPS in the race ? Send me you readings please.
    Here's mine, Jimmy.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/48759288

Thanks, I'll be back next year for sure.

Morgan

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks Jimmy and Team!

Posted a comment in the other thread, but wanted to say it here after a few days of it soaking in...

THANKS GBE team for running a great race!

On reflection, while the TS100 was the hardest thing I've ever done on a bike, it was also the most rewarding. Digging deep and finding the reserves within yourself to get the job done is an awesome feeling.

Every volunteer I encountered was super supportive and enthusiastic. All of the racers I encountered seemed to have a "we're in this foolishness together" attitude - and were also very supportive. Added up to a pretty cool vibe.

Anyway, wanted to express my thanks for the massive amount of work that went into the event, and my excitement at the prospect of doing next years' race.

Sweater
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***

Sweater
    So I raced (more like kinda rode and walked) last years’ TS100. My goal was just to finish, which I did....kinda. I was DFL, including DNF'ers. The last bike to pedal across the line, even after time expired. This really got in my head. It had been eating at me all year and I was really looking forward to, and also dreading, this years’ TS100. I don't do many races due to lack of time, mostly the training time and the obsessive behavior that goes with it. This year was pegged to be a light year due the fact that we had a baby on the way(only say "had' because he is here now). I did manage to talk the wife into letting me do two races though, the Coolest 24 and the TS100. Coolest 24 was fun (and muddy of course) though I was not anywhere near ready. This made me pretty apprehensive for the 100, even though there was plenty of time to get ready. So I got ready. I was really racing for a personal best, but also had a couple buddies that were racing as well so we had our own class of 3 we were racing in.
    Over all I think I took off a little fast and hit the first couple climbs a little too hard because I started feeling leg cramps once I got to the Red Star single track around mile 30. From then on I payed attention to what my body told me and adjusted the ride accordingly. I also knew I wouldn't be able to try any of the really steep sections (like some of Glen mine and that damn road after dusty corners). I pressed on just keeping the pace that I could. By the time I got to Mad Cat for the 2nd time I was feeling pretty worked and knew that I had two long climbs left plus numerous shorter ones. The race for me went really well up to The Y but then the wheels fell off and I was in survival mode, just trying to make it to the finish with all available haste. Last year I fought muscle cramps, stomach cramps, and nausea, and headache. This year I was quite a bit more prepared for the physical, and mental. I had a much better nutrition and hydration plan. . I thought there was no way this year was going to hurt worse than last year, I was wrong. I still ended up fighting off leg cramps, although they never really took hold like last year, the balls of my feet were on fire, my back was aching, my knees were feeling like they were going to explode, and probably the worst damage I have inflicted upon my poor taint was really starting to take its toll. I couldn’t really sit and pedal for more than a few minutes at a time by the time I left The Y, and so I had to stand and pedal, well, that and push…. I am sure that’s why my knees hurt so bad as a I hadn’t really trained to race singlespeed. On the other side of the coin, I never felt like I bonked, didn’t get any dehydration headaches, no nausea, and my legs felt really good. I never felt like I lost the power in my legs like I have many times before, they were just really very tired and worked. The stretch from The Y to the finish was the longer than 20 miles, I think that was about 70 mi in there. Not really a difficult section, even that last big climb up Soda Springs is pretty mild, except today. Even the many relatively flat sections were torturous at this point. Don’t even get me started on that last powdery climb on Royal Gorge, Jimmy will be happy to hear I was cursing him for moving the start/finish as I slogged my bike up that. I don’t remember that single track being nearly that long on the way out either, I can’t prove it but I am sure they moved the finish while I was riding. Finally, I start hearing cow bells and cheering and then the end comes into sight. Oh dear god, it really is uphill across the finish like I remember. Thanks Jimmy for one last funny jab of pain. I limp across the line in 12:28 and I am glad to be done. I was happy to finish in the daylight, not DNF, and took almost 2 hours off last years’ time of 14:18. I slumped down and took a seat on some damn comfortable asphalt. I did manage to keep the DNF title among the three friends riding though, those guys both did great coming in 1/2hr and 1hr ahead of me. Overall, it was a great race and a great time. Turns out LeMond is right: it doesn't get easier, you just go faster.

Jimmy, I am glad to hear you plan on toning down next years’ 100 from the planned 19000’ ascent. I was not sure I was going to be able to do that, but it would taunt me anyhow. Any way we can keep the 22000’ descent though? Thanks, had a great time on a really fun, albeit, difficult course. The pucker point singletrack alone was worth the ride.
    The aid stations were almost too helpful. You would get mobbed by a nascar pit crew every time you rolled into a station. Each person with their job: hydration specialist, mechanic, nutritionist, relaxation consultant. It was almost too much:
    Would you like some lube? Yes. What kind? Ummmm
    Fill your bottles? Yes please. Water, heed, cytomax? Ummmmm
    Like some food? Yup. PBJ, Banana, pickle, tacos? Ummmm
    I kid, of course. These guys were great and I am pretty sure they took a couple minutes off of each stop which after 8 or 9 stop is a 1/2hr of race time. That’s a pretty big deal. Thanks a lot guys.

And lastly, some GPS tracks:

It's the axle
    Congratulations to you brave souls who took this event on. I can't even appreciate what it must be like to hit that 60 mile mark and realize there are still 40 left. Ouch.

I say bravery and nobility.
    Note to self: 85% of FTP for 20 min.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I will pipe up and say I am sorry to let all of you down but I DNF'd! DANG IT!!! I'll spare you the long race report I sent to my teammates but suffice to say I fought to the bitter bitter end and was the last person to make the time cut-offs on course for the last 2 stops I hit! I made it to the Y at mile 74, made the cut-off by just a few minutes but was pulled by race control who didn't feel I had the pace to make the final cut-off. I was all at once totally bummed as well as thankful they saved me from myself!

Everyone I encountered who was part of the race organization was AMAZING! The aid stations folks were great, the HAMs and Motos who were my company the last miles on the bike and then in the van were just fantastic! The single track at Pucker Point was totally worth most of the pain and suffering...

I need to work on a few things so that next time I attempt something of this scale I'll finish!

mstoddard
    Apr 2004

Bummed we missed it...

My hubby and I did the 50 last year but had a conflict this year...planning on being back in 2011 and trying for the 100...can't wait!

mtbr member
    I am still gathering pictures for my full wrtie-up (which I'll post here when done), but the attached pic pretty much sums it up for me...my wife and 5-month old son were waiting at the finish line, what a relief.

I did the 50 last year, it kicked the crap out of me, so went for the 100 this year. Much better conditioning, and happy with my 11:56 time.

Dan, you KICKED BUTT! You Da Man
    Last edited by MonkeyDawg; 09-18-2010 at 08:21 AM.

mtbr member
    OK, close enough:

http://www.foothilltrailhounds.com/r...00-201009.html

Will add pictures as I get them.

Thanks again Jim, and all the wonderful aid station folks. TOP notch.

Sweater
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyDawg
    I am still gathering pictures for my full wrtie-up (which I'll post here when done), but the attached pic pretty much sums it up for me...my wife and 5-month old son were waiting at the finish line, what a relief.

I did the 50 last year, it kicked the crap out of me, so went for the 100 this year. Much better conditioning, and happy with my 11:56 time.

Dan, you KICKED BUTT! You Da Man
    I am just not sure how your beating me by a 1/2hr constitutes kicking your butt

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzaro
    I am just not sure how your beating me by a 1/2hr constitutes kicking your butt

I didn't say you kicked MY butt!

You surely must have the "most improved" award...you cut what - 2 hours off last year's time??

mtbr member

Bears and the Leader!!

I almost forgot to tell you great story about the winner of the Tahoe Sierra 100.
    Rich Thruman who was out all by him self and in the lead on Redstar was pushing hard to get passed this very hard section of trail when he looked up and there were two bears running out in front to him!!
    They must be the same bears I have bear seeing for the last few weeks getting in the last of the high country berries that are still up around the 7,000ft level.
    What a great feeling to be all alone out there with riding with the wildlife all around you.
    Know wonder Rich had such a big lead.
    Rich said at the bottom of the last climb he has some problems with his gears and was stuck in a big gear the the whole 9 miles back up!! He had lost some time there. This is a picture of the gear he was pushing!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tahoe Sierra 100....let's hear your stories-black%2520bear%25202%2520-%2520pd.jpg  

Sweater

a couple shots

around the finish line.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tahoe Sierra 100....let's hear your stories-2010-09-11_1029resize.jpg  

Tahoe Sierra 100....let's hear your stories-2010-09-11_1034resize.jpg  

Tahoe Sierra 100....let's hear your stories-2010-09-11_1037resize.jpg  

Tahoe Sierra 100....let's hear your stories-2010-09-11_1040resize.jpg  

mtbr member
    Finishline side-fives

mtbr member

5 Lessons Learned at the Tahoe Sierra 100 MTB Race

Here is a link to a story posted on Outside Online. Some good advice here for sure. I have also posted the entire text below...

http://outside-blog.away.com/blog/20...-mtb-race.html

Saturday, September 11 was one of the most painful days of my life. On that day, I competed in the Tahoe Sierra 100, a 100-mile endurance mountain bike race in the wilderness northwest of Lake Tahoe.

Suffering with me were my husband and our friend. We hurt. A lot. I still hurt, but it didn't have to be so bad. Here are five lessons I learned from beating the crap out of myself so you don't have to:

1. Train Hard
    Once you think you've completed the most epic training ride of your life, turn your butt around and do it again. It wasn't hard enough. Unless you're a pro or a truly gifted mountain biker, a seven-hour long ride won't cut it. If you're a weekend psycho like me, at least do a weekend of back-to-back long rides to get more time on the saddle. Your quads will thank you later. And if you did an Ironman two years ago and think you're still an endurance superstar, think again.
    2. Eat Early and Often
    Of course you'll feel great for the first four hours of the race--your training rides were way longer than that. Just because it's cold in the morning and you feel fine doesn't mean you should skip on hydrating or eating at the first few aid stations. You never know what your stomach is going to do after 10 (or more) hours of exercise. It may just up and quit on you. You'll be happy you have energy stores from earlier in the day to get you up the final climb. Don't forget the electrolyte pills.

3. Ride with Friends
    You can test yourself mentally and ride alone--many people do. But stir some buddies into the mental mix and it gets a whole lot more interesting. Now you not only have to worry about how you're feeling, but you also have to tell your buddies to suck it up. Plus, when you hear gunshots, you'll feel safer because you're not the only thing moving in the trees.

4. Do Not Pre-Race Brag
    So your comparably-skilled training buddy just did Leadville in 11.5 hours. Good for him. Don't tell him you're going to beat his time, because on this course, you won't. The winning time at Leadville this year was 6:37. The winning time at Tahoe Sierra was two hours longer--8:36. Granted, if Levi Leipheimer raced TS, he'd probably go fast, but not as fast as he did at Leadville. Therefore, you will not beat your buddy. You will enjoy far more single track, lonliness and climbing. And a bacon taco station.

5. Do Not Wear Zinc
    Yes, old-school colored zinc sunscreen still exists, and it's still awesome, and it'll still protect your schnoz all day long. But this course is full of "moon dust" that will cling to your tricked-out nose and make you look like a veritable brown-noser. It's not pretty. And while we're on the subject of moon dust, unless you're out in front the whole time, you'll be inhaling everyone's kicked-up dirt. Bring a bandana or a surgical mask so you don't cough up puffs of dust for a week.

So you wanna hear how it went? Check out my race report. Now stop being a wuss and sign up for next year--it's going to hurt so good.

--Erin Beresini
    :p

mtbr member

Dog got into Drop bags!!

Sean Allan had a laugh today as I told him the story of my border collie "Chance" who got a hold of the drop bags from the Tahoe Sierra100.
    I can' t make head or tails of what's what? She was all high on hammer gel and bars.
    This is the last year for drop bags. One of the riders had some Smoked Trout in a small can. My office smells great!!! What's up with smoked fish?
    I also found some KY jelly in another bag? Smoked fish and KY jelly? What the hell is the world of MTB racing coming too!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

To the rider with the KY Jelly

that's the only thing Jimmy isn't giving back.

Jimmy get out of the hottub and answer the door!
    Happy new year..Stuff $: Eno 29wheel (non disc), Yakima, 2 steelheads, with towers for Volvo luggage rails.

mtbr member

well..

At least the smoked trout and KY weren't in the same bag, now that would have just been weird.

Chance must have had a field day with my par-baked rack of lamb Jim

Members who have read this thread: 0