Tahoe Sierra 100- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Tahoe Sierra 100

Searched did not see any threads regarding this upcoming event, is anyone doing it?

I will be coming up solo and trying to connect with someone that can help me get back to the start point.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Leave car at finish. Uber to start

mtbr member
    May 2009
    You park up by the finish and ride down hill to the start. It is a short downhill.

mtbr member
    May 2009

Trail conditions

Sorry wrong race. I meant the Tahoe Trail 100. Why do the have to have similar names for two races in the same area.
    Last edited by TahoeSS; 07-18-2014 at 05:08 PM.

Moderator Moderator
    Apr 2011
    The trail beta doesn't mean much at this point as the Tevis horses will be pillaging the course between now and the TS-100 date.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeSS View Post
    So I am doing the 100k solo.
    Assuming you meant miles. 100 miles. There is no 100k option....

...or are you talking about the Tahoe Trail 100k at Northstar tomorrow. Two different races.

This thread is this one: Global Biorhythm Events
    Kappius Components Ambassador - Ping me a note for a discount code

jms
    mtbr member
    LOL! There couldn't be two more COMPLETELY different events.
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Yeah one takes you right back to where you parked and the other takes you 100 miles away from where you parked. What a waste of gas. Talk about a non green event. I am sure there is a better option up here for a 100 mile course. Riding trails after hundreds of horses destroy it sounds like no fun at all.

Moderator Moderator
    Apr 2011
    More like "one is good to go for a 1/2 fit roadie,the other is iffy if you're anything less than fit and very skilled at on-sighting non-buffed, non-manicured technical terrain that's a long way from the nearest ER and starbucks."

jms
    mtbr member
    Yeah one takes you right back to where you parked and the other takes you 100 miles away from where you parked. What a waste of gas. Talk about a non green event. I am sure there is a better option up here for a 100 mile course. Riding trails after hundreds of horses destroy it sounds like no fun at all.
    Uhmmm, well everybody is entitled to their opinion. No need to slag an event that doesn't appeal to you.
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Is it possible to talk about the actual race? Was wondering about tire choice for this race. Seems like going too lightweight could really cost you. But a hundo is a long way to pedal a big tire. I'll be riding a 29er hard tail if that helps.

jms
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tahoescott3 View Post
    Is it possible to talk about the actual race? Was wondering about tire choice for this race. Seems like going too lightweight could really cost you. But a hundo is a long way to pedal a big tire. I'll be riding a 29er hard tail if that helps.
    2.4 Racesport X King F/2.2 Raceking Racesport protection rear on a hardtail. Best destiny out there.
    My Favorite Peeps:

Sweater
    Unless the race starts at one's doorstep, everyone will be driving to every race from somewhere. Come race it, then make an informed decision on the course choice.
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***

Sweater
    If you're racing for the win might be worth it to flirt with danger and risk a lighter tire. For the most part though, a nice meaty, high volume tire is the way to go. You'll see between 5-10 riders, clad in full lycra team kit, pulled over fixing a flat on the first descent. No judgements on the race team lycra thing, it's just not that kind of race. This race is still won on the climbs, but it's not really an xc type race.

Moderator Moderator
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jms View Post
    2.4 Racesport X King F/2.2 Raceking Racesport protection rear on a hardtail. Best destiny out there.
    Whatever you take, a couple of Park Tire Boots would be a wise addition to the camelbak.

Sweater
    Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphic View Post
    Whatever you take, a couple of Park Tire Boots would be a wise addition to the camelbak.
    and at least 2 tubes too

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Rode the WS portion from Michigan bluff to forresthill today. Trail to volcano creek very loose, dusty and hazardous. Tevis race will make it worse. Will replace my front tire for one with more beef.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006

Tahoe Sierra 100

I used WTB Bronsons front and rear on my single speed hardtail for the last Tahoe-Sierra 100 and did well on them. No issues.

JMS's suggestion above is a good one. The bigger Ikon 2.35's or whatever they are might be a good choice and WTB's new Trail Boss too. Whatever brand you go with at least go with the version with more sidewall protection. Ie. for maxxis=EXO version, conti=protection version, etc.

The thing with the Tahoe Sierra 100 in tire selection is that it covers so much different topography there is not a single tire out there that is perfect for the entire route. With the point to point format you go from high alpine chunk and sierra moondust dirt roads (moondust that hides big ass rocks), to tech singletrack canyon descents then down into Auburn where you could get away with a lightweight xc tire. Ideally, you could use a burlier set of tires from the start to Foresthill, then swap out for a lighter racier faster set from there on through Auburn. Hell just swap the FS bike for the race hardtail at that point ;-)

mtb'er
    Keep in mind that for various reasons, TS100 is not a "race" this year... it's a very hard, well supported, all-day epic endurance ride. While the fastest finishers will be acknowledged/rewarded, the name of the game is getting more people out to experience this course, whether you want to pin it, or (like me) move along at a good enough clip, while snapping photos, dunking your head in the creeks and fattening up at the awesome aid stations.

I can't help with tire recommendations, because I don't know squat about tires. I roll what I have (usually free-bees or hand-me-downs), and prefer somewhat beefier tires that won't get sidewall rips.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Hear,hear! My goal is to finish and a personal challenge. I have already increased my skills because of it. Adventure!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jms View Post
    Uhmmm, well everybody is entitled to their opinion. No need to slag an event that doesn't appeal to you.
    I didn't intend to "slag" your race. I would like to do the Tahoe Sierra 100 someday. I just don't like the extra 120 miles of driving for an event that starts in my backyard. If any of you want to come up here for a long training ride on mostly all single track I can accommodate that for you. I do not own a road bike so all of my training is on a rigid single speed. I assure you the trails will not be all buffed out and the technical factor will be moderate to advance. There will be no Starbucks in sight and a water filtration system might be needed. Come on up and lets ride. I really am a nice guy.

MTB Racer
    Keeping a good sustainable hike-a-bike pace, finishing, and beating the time cut are my goals.

Debating on riding with a dropper post on the HT to make the downhill a little easier.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowryder View Post
    Keeping a good sustainable hike-a-bike pace, finishing, and beating the time cut are my goals.

Debating on riding with a dropper post on the HT to make the downhill a little easier.
    Yup...that is the name of the game for us humans. that is what makes this rac....er...I mean ride so much fun. It is a bit about survival for most riders. It is difficult, there are places that are to steep and difficult to ride, it takes all day, it will hurt. I like this sort of thing...some do, some don't.

See u guys out there
    :p

I'm a "she".
    Thanks for the information. Yesterday at Downieville, my two day old new tire had the side wall cut open 1 inch. Five layers of duct tape and a tube later, I was able to ride. Wish I had those.

Now, are they like emergency tires -- only meant for getting you back out, or can you continue riding your tire patched with the Tire Boot? Also, can you still run your tire tubeless with Stans after patching?
    Inch by inch, I will get there...
    ride reports | tracks | photos
    Green Chiclets are my favorite candy.

I like mtn biking, too
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    Keep in mind that for various reasons, TS100 is not a "race" this year... it's a very hard, well supported, all-day epic endurance ride. While the fastest finishers will be acknowledged/rewarded, the name of the game is getting more people out to experience this course, whether you want to pin it, or (like me) move along at a good enough clip, while snapping photos, dunking your head in the creeks and fattening up at the awesome aid stations.
    Well, now you're talking! I would be into trying it, but does not work out schedule-wise this year. Putting it on the bucket list.
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. We’re just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

Moderator Moderator
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mudworm View Post
    Thanks for the information. Yesterday at Downieville, my two day old new tire had the side wall cut open 1 inch. Five layers of duct tape and a tube later, I was able to ride. Wish I had those.

Now, are they like emergency tires -- only meant for getting you back out, or can you continue riding your tire patched with the Tire Boot? Also, can you still run your tire tubeless with Stans after patching?
    One of my kids ran months with a cut you could push a dime through after I put on a boot. But that was a tubed tire to begin with so it was dry and there was no accumulated latex on the inside of the tire. The advantage of the park boots is that they're adhesive backed and so they dont slide around ; otherwise you can get the job done temporarily with a gel packet, or dollar bill. If you're running tubeless you'll need to scrape off the latex and dry it out to get a good bond with the adhesive that will be lasting. I've never heard of anybody booting and going back to tubeless.

mtb'er
    Wanna get into TS100 for only $30? FATRAC is manning the 3rd Aid Station during the event, a little south of Robinson Flat. They are offering the free TS100 entry they get for manning a booth to someone who joins, renews or donates to FATRAC before July 31. If only one person joins, that person gets the free TS100 entry. If 4 people join, there will be "a name picked out of a hat". So odds are good and even if you don't get the spot, your $ goes to local trail advocacy and you will be part of a growing, enthusiastic bunch of mt. bikers that are determined to get more access to trails in Folsom Lake and Auburn!

FATRAC Tahoe-Sierra 100 Entry Raffle

mtb'er
    FYI: The Western States Safe Trail Alliance has requested that mountain bikers NOT train for the Tahoe-Sierra 100 on any portion of the Western States Trail in the Tahoe National Forest between now and the Tevis Cup, on August 9th... and they apparently are in the ear of the USFS every day about it.

While I believe (via research) that very few TS100 participants actually train/practice on the TS100 course, the USFS has asked the TS100 promoter to spread the word about mt. bikers staying off the trail for the next 18 days. It is unclear if backpackers, dirt bikers, day hikers with dogs, or anyone carrying plastic grocery bags have been asked to avoid the trail during this time period as well.

Thank you for your compliance.

mtbr member
    Still wondering if anyone wants to connect for shuttling to and from the start/finish? Was planning on staying in Auburn, open to share a ride either way, Uber is an option I suppose.

mtb'er
    Quote Originally Posted by sprankle View Post
    Still wondering if anyone wants to connect for shuttling to and from the start/finish? Was planning on staying in Auburn, open to share a ride either way, Uber is an option I suppose.
    Given how many people are in the same boat, I'm pretty sure we'll all be able to figure out shuttles, especially as we get closer to the event and people start networking more. Same for the Tahoe guys, who could arrange for a ride back to the start.

Sweater

Tahoe Sierra 100

You could just hang out at the finish line too and put the word out that you need a ride back to the start. In 2012, we had room for a guy but not his bike while Jimmy had room for a bike but no guy. So we split them up and reunited rider and bike back at the start. A little riskier route but makes for a better story later.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Any good place to stay/camp near the finish in Auburn? Not really excited about driving home after a long day.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Post Tevis Cup training rides from Robinson Flat

I think I'll head up to Robinson Flat a couple of days after the Tevis Cup (it's a free campground 40 miles into the race course right on the Western States trail portion at 6800 feet elevation and I'll probably get there on the 13th and stay a week or so) and ride some training loops from there to get a preview of some parts of the course. Would be great to have some riding partners out there if anyone is interested!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Last Friday me and 3 others rode WS from Robinson flat to Michigan bluff. Only humans were 3 motorcycle riders. Trail in the canyons is dusty and loose. Either a few days before or just after tevis cup, i plan on riding the route from soda springs to Robinson flat.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Any good place to stay/camp near the finish in Auburn? Not really excited about driving home after a long day.
    ive got 2 acres about 3 miles from the finish...u are more than welcome to camp on the property..u can even ue shower/toilet if u want

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Keep in mind that for various reasons, TS100 is not a "race" this year....
    Since they put timing chips on us, I'm concluding it's a science experiment, then.

mtb'er

Roll Call?

How about a roll call here? Who is in for 100? Who is doing a 2 person team? Who is still thinking about signing up for one or the other?

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, while the XC racer types will still vie for the fastest time to finish, this year's edition of TS100 is more of a well supported adventure ride, suitable for so many guys I know that loathe racing but like the challenge of a long, challenging, unique and "fun" ride (Rose to Toads kinda guys and gals)... but don't want to carry 40lbs of food/water with them. With no racing résumé required this year, hopefully more strong riders discover this truly challenging course, and Tahoe-Sierra 100 slowly gains the reputation that long ago made the Tevis Cup and the Western States 100 what they are today.

With that said, here are some things to know. If you're not up for a brutal 100 miles, get a pal and do the 2 person team version (riding approximately 50 miles each).

Info for 2 person teams:

o It solves the shuttling dilemma: Both riders drive to Soda Springs in one vehicle, 1st rider heads out at 6am, 2nd rider drives vehicle to Deadwood aid station (and naps?). 2nd rider gets ready to ride around Noon to 3pm depending on your partner's speed. 1st rider comes in and 2nd rider takes off. 1st rider drives vehicle to finish in Auburn and drinks all the beer before their partners or the 100's arrive

o The first leg of the ride is the tougher one, and includes the more scenic, burly and remote sections of the route, as well as the brutal 1.6 mile (40-60 minute) hike-a-bike up to Devil's Thumb, which is just about the end of the 50+ mile segment. Note that Swinging Bridge at the bottom of the nasty HAB is gone, so riders will be portaging across the river. My understanding is this will be the first year the course stays true to the WST over Cougar Rock (~12 miles into the course) and onto Red Star Ridge, skipping the Lyon Ridge descent down towards French Meadows Res. (and the fire road climb to Red Star Ridge). This is due to the efforts of the Western States Safe Trail Alliance not allowing Jim to use a fire road easement somewhere in there, but the Cougar Rock to Red Star Ridge looks more festive to me. 2nd leg rider might want to pack a light, depending on how slow the 1st rider was.

o The second leg starts with a fantastic never-ending downhill, then a strenuous but mostly rideable (on fresh legs) climb up to Michigan Bluff. Then some fire road climbing and a shorter/fun singletrack descent before a short climb to pavement that gets you to Foresthill. Then some pavement brings you to fun Todd Valley XC oriented singletrack before losing lots of elevation on McKeon-Ponderosa fire road to Rucky Chucky. From the bottom, some of you are on your home turf, with a climb up to Driver's Flat, then FHDL counter-clockwise to Connector, to Culvert, to Confluence, to Stagecoach, to Auburn. TS100 allows the ONLY legal mtb "racing" on the Auburn trails mentioned.

EB's Tips for a rewarding day:

o Get your pre-ride rest, hydration and nutrition squared away prior to August 23
    o Make sure your bike is working well and your tires are ready to rumble
    o Pack essential tools and parts for typical mechanicals (flat tire, broken chain, etc.). Each aid station will have a mechanic, tools, chain lube, spare tubes, etc... but always good to carry essentials in case you double flat or something.
    o Don't overpack food and water... you hit an aid station every 9 to 15 miles (or something like that). Refuel at each one.
    o Don't underpack food and water, especially if it is a scorching hot day.
    o Stop and take a photo now and then! It's not a race for most of us. Capture some memories.
    o Ride with someone who seems to be going the same pace as you... it's safer and can be motivating.
    o Footwear: Don't wear your brand new carbon soled mtb shoes! Shoes with a hiking tread are best, given some of the HAB on Red Star Ridge (minimal), the big hike up to Devil's Thumb, some hiking up to Michigan Bluff (depending on how your legs are doing), and any hiking after that due to cramps. A couple of years ago, at least one participant either carried old running shoes or left them at Swinging Bridge to make the brutal HAB more tolerable, as evidenced by the shoes I saw in the trash can at the Deadwood aid station.

Sign up before August 1st and you'll get a TS100 hoodie and custom pint glass.

Race finish will have beer and bbq, as well as finishers medals. Fastest finisher(s) will receive something for their efforts, but that's Jim's deal.

Oh and you can try and score an entry for about $30 if you join/renew/donate to FATRAC (before Aug. 1): FATRAC and IMBA Raffle

I'm in for the 100 miles, even though I've ridding my bike 3 times this month

Any questions?

mtbr member
    May 2014

Ts 100

I am in for the 100 miles. I do have some questions:
    1. regarding the upper section, it appears the route is changing so that instead of continueing on road 51 from the top of Lyon Ridge down to road 96, up the 96, and then left onto the Tevis trail, the route will turn right at the top of Lyon ridge onto the Tevis trail and connect with the 96at the bottom of French Meadows reservoir. Is that your impression? Or is this route change only for the 2-person relay?

2. Regarding the finish line, I talked with Auburn Bike Works yesterday and found out the finish line is actually at School Park Preserve at the corner of College Way and High Street, not Cherry & Lincoln (in route description), or the Alta Vista school (shown on website). So, I am still confused and hopefully this will be clarified.

3. I am still unsure of the route regarding the Todd Valley XC portion. is this on paved road Todd Valley Rd/cedar view rd/glen rd/bradley way or does this come off of Mougnberry lane traveling between crestline drive & Happy Pines drive?

EXCELLENT tips!

I can't wait for this adventure! Phillip

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    I just signed up for the 100 mile solo. Last time I did this on my SS in 2012, I was certainly racing it, but this year I am undecided if I will be in race mode or adventure ride mode. I'm not even sure if I am doing this on my SS or on the geared fun bike just yet (Trance). I am certainly not "training" specifically for it at the moment....just relying on fitness built up earlier this year while training for other events. This is more base miles for cyclocross season maybe ha.

Nice detailed description on the course and logistics Empty..nice work.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'm also in for the 100 mile solo!

Moderator Moderator
    Apr 2011
    I'm working the last aid station. Any requests or bright ideas for food/drink over and above the normal fare? At this late point in the ride its really not a fueling issue like it is earlier in the ride.

mtb'er
    Quote Originally Posted by PL Scott View Post
    1. regarding the upper section, it appears the route is changing so that instead of continueing on road 51 from the top of Lyon Ridge down to road 96, up the 96, and then left onto the Tevis trail, the route will turn right at the top of Lyon ridge onto the Tevis trail and connect with the 96at the bottom of French Meadows reservoir. Is that your impression? Or is this route change only for the 2-person relay?
    I'm not 100% sure, but my understanding is once we hit Lyon Ridge, we hang a right on the Tevis trail all the way to Red Star Ridge Aid Station. We won't drop down anywhere near French Meadows Reservoir. I'm not sure how this will effect the total course miles, but it appears to be a net loss of about 6 miles (perhaps we'll make those miles up elsewhere).

Unofficial map:
    Tahoe Sierra 100-ts100-2014-reroute.jpg

Has anyone ridden the ridge marked with the yellow line? How is it?

2. Regarding the finish line, I talked with Auburn Bike Works yesterday and found out the finish line is actually at School Park Preserve at the corner of College Way and High Street, not Cherry & Lincoln (in route description), or the Alta Vista school (shown on website). So, I am still confused and hopefully this will be clarified.
    School Park Preserve is the finish. Map

3. I am still unsure of the route regarding the Todd Valley XC portion. is this on paved road Todd Valley Rd/cedar view rd/glen rd/bradley way or does this come off of Mougnberry lane traveling between crestline drive & Happy Pines drive?
    I don't know the names but there is singletrack running through the Todd Valley neighborhood.

Tahoe Sierra 100-todd-valley.jpg

I can't wait for this adventure! Phillip

Glad to hear you're back, Ron!

Metamorphic... music and bikini booth babes might help! I'll hold off on beer until the finish!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Lyon Ridge is rough. I've ridden it many times and depending on it's condition, it's not much faster than going to the bottom and back up..... The Tevis and moto's are not kind to that trail. There will be fun sections and some nice views though.

Todd Valley Trails are a mix of Historic Western States and some trails through a small parcel of BLM land above Todd Valley. Nothing to worry about, fun, buff singletrack for a couple of miles with a little bit of dirt road thrown in for good measure.

mtb'er
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Allan View Post
    Lyon Ridge is rough. I've ridden it many times and depending on it's condition, it's not much faster than going to the bottom and back up..... The Tevis and moto's are not kind to that trail. There will be fun sections and some nice views though.
    Thanks, Sean. I always look forward to something new anyway.

mtbr member
    May 2012

Get free entry to TS100

Just a heads up for those of you still debating entering the TS100, today is the last day to donate/join FATRAC and get entered into the raffle for a free entry. This entry works for a 2 person team too!
    I have a feeling the pot is still pretty small... so might be worth trying, plus you get karma points for giving back to trails!

FATRAC and IMBA Raffle

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks Empty_Beer and Sean Allan for the course updates. I'm confused though about the map information on Global Biorhythm Events though: In the "Course Map" section of the event page, both links seem to point to the 2012 course, dropping down towards French Meadows Reservoir before climbing back up to the Red Star Ridge Aid Station:
    http://www.globalbiorhythmevents.com...0-2012-map.pdf
    Mountain Bike Ride Profile | TAHOE-SIERRA 100 MTB RACE, CA near | Times and Records | Strava

Since this is the map information posted on the official event page, I would think this would reflect the planned 2014 course? Where did we hear that the course would take Lyon Ridge instead? Thanks for clarifying, I'm hoping to pre-ride this part of the course right after the Tevis Cup and will report the conditions to this thread :-)

mtb'er
    Quote Originally Posted by bbundy View Post
    Thanks Empty_Beer and Sean Allan for the course updates. I'm confused though about the map information on Global Biorhythm Events though: In the "Course Map" section of the event page, both links seem to point to the 2012 course, dropping down towards French Meadows Reservoir before climbing back up to the Red Star Ridge Aid Station:
    http://www.globalbiorhythmevents.com...0-2012-map.pdf
    Mountain Bike Ride Profile | TAHOE-SIERRA 100 MTB RACE, CA near | Times and Records | Strava

Since this is the map information posted on the official event page, I would think this would reflect the planned 2014 course? Where did we hear that the course would take Lyon Ridge instead? Thanks for clarifying, I'm hoping to pre-ride this part of the course right after the Tevis Cup and will report the conditions to this thread :-)
    I don't believe the GBE website is up to date, which is a pet peeve of mine as a GBE supporter. Ideally, we stick to the standard route, but it is still work in progress. The problem is a few a$$hat equestrians that started that Western States Safe Trail Alliance and want the TS100 to fail, GBE to go bankrupt, and bicycles forever off the WST... they have connections to a piece of property that the normal TS100 course goes through. My understanding is they convinced the land owner to not allow TS100 to use that easement (a fire road), so Jim would be forced to keep the TS100 on the Tevis trail at Lyon Peak. Kind of ironic, if you ask me. It could go either way at this point (which route), but my $ is on Lyon Ridge. You could always call Jim too... he's better with phone than email (530-906-7903).

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Checking out the ride I'm definitely considering. My only question is what the ease of bailout if I can't hack it? Will people be jeering and taunting me as I am throwing up on the side of the trail?

mtb'er
    ^ I see this as more of a "we're all in this together" ride. You'd receive much more help than indifference, in my opinion. If you had to bail at one of the aid stations, I'd guess one of the volunteers could get you back to Auburn... lots of mt. bikers are manning the aid stations. If you make it to Foresthill and are "done", rolling back to Auburn on pavement wouldn't be that hard either. Anyone pulling the plug on the ride should definitely let the aid station know you're done (there will be a person checking everyone in and checking everyone out).

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Just checked website. It has been revised to state the finish line and date changes. Trail route description not changed.

Sweater

Tahoe Sierra 100

Quote Originally Posted by NotQuiteClimbing View Post
    Checking out the ride I'm definitely considering. My only question is what the ease of bailout if I can't hack it? Will people be jeering and taunting me as I am throwing up on the side of the trail?
    At the event, folks will help out. Lots of people working that have been in that spot. Now, the next day and forever after? Your buddies will never let you live it down.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    ^ I see this as more of a "we're all in this together" ride. You'd receive much more help than indifference, in my opinion. If you had to bail at one of the aid stations, I'd guess one of the volunteers could get you back to Auburn... lots of mt. bikers are manning the aid stations. If you make it to Foresthill and are "done", rolling back to Auburn on pavement wouldn't be that hard either. Anyone pulling the plug on the ride should definitely let the aid station know you're done (there will be a person checking everyone in and checking everyone out).
    Keep in mind that you will wait until the aid station closes before anyone will consider taking you back to Auburn, that might be a long wait. Just letting you know since there were people pulling out in years past at very remote aid stations and being asses about not getting sagged back to Auburn right away.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Coming out tubeless from east coast riding environment. Would love your thoughts on experience with best psi for TS100 trails and fire roads. Normally set up 25psi for roots and rocky trails out here, but thinking 30 to be conservative and avoid rolling the bead given these trail with big powder and buried rocks. Does that sound about right?

Thanks for any insight from your experiences!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    yee haa! just figured out the todd valley area. Used old topo maps and the map posted in this thread to ensure i didn't get lost. That is very nice singletrack with lots of shade. rode it down to little white oak flat and then back up it. ASRA has posted special event signs for the TS 100 at the lower trail exit onto mckeon/ponderosa and the 2nd section after white oak flat. very fun section.

Moderator Moderator
    Apr 2011

Metamorphic... music and bikini booth babes might help! I'll hold off on beer until the finish!
    At this point all of the aid station help are scruffy MTB dudes.

Moderator Moderator
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 42dflyer View Post
    Coming out tubeless from east coast riding environment. Would love your thoughts on experience with best psi for TS100 trails and fire roads. Normally set up 25psi for roots and rocky trails out here, but thinking 30 to be conservative and avoid rolling the bead given these trail with big powder and buried rocks. Does that sound about right?

Thanks for any insight from your experiences!
    I would stick with what you know. Last minute changes to gear and set-up are usually a bad idea. One thing peculiar to this area that I don't see a lot of in other places is that we have a lot of rocks that are jointed at a 30degree angle due to the local tectonic forces. That angle is about the same as the primary grind on a knife blade, and these rocks are frequently solidly attached to the trail bed. If you don't normally run a tire with enhanced sidewall protection it may be a good idea to switch now and get some track record with the new rubber. I run tubeless and provided I stay at pressures north of 25 pounds, the only failures I get are from big sidewall cuts.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks, M. Appreciate the info and advice.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Any word on route change at lyon ridge?

mtb'er
    Any word on route change at lyon ridge?
    I just texted Jim. He said we are taking Lyon Ridge to Red Star Ridge for sure.

MTB Racer
    Is there a reliable GPX file for the 2014 edition of the TS100?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Time to sign up!

As a veteran of the old TS100 several times and many a solo 24, this could be the most difficult race I've ever entered. I think the keys to the kingdom on this one will be to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate, eat responsibly and keep moving. I'll probably go into the aid stations like a solo 24 and keep the breaks to several minutes or so max.....my largest worry is not so much finishing but finishing before the time cut-off.

Now it's time to finish all the details about tire choices, etc.....this is going to be an adventure.

Thanks Jimmy for all you've done to set this up....I know it has not been easy working with all the players involved.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Signed up for the solo 100. First time doing anything like this. Should be painful but fun.

I'll be driving out from CO and willing to connect up for shuttling to/from the start.

Moderator Moderator
    Apr 2011
    [shameless cross promotion]

The evening before the TS100 runs we're having big fund raiser for the Auburn Bike Park. Its a food truck event at the park with bands. They're also going to set up a little features course on the baseball diamond for the kids. While beer and food truck fair might not be the ideal pre-TS100 nutrition idea, this event was a great fun last year, and pretty much anybody in town who has anything to do with a bicycle was there.

Food Truck Fiesta 2014

mtb'er
    Just a reminder: The Tevis Cup is tomorrow (Saturday, August 9). GBE would like to remind everyone to avoid the Western States Trail all day on Saturday.

If you missed Zon's separate thread, he's trying to find a partner to ride from Robinson Flat to Foresthill on SUNDAY.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Trail condition report: Rode El Dorado & Volcano canyons on sunday, one day after the Tevis race. Trail is very beat up. On the East slope of the El Dorado canyon, there are 2 areas of concern. The trail itself is very narrow and nearly blown out, requiring you to ride upslope over a rock or very carefully over the pulverized portion. overall, the trail is very thick with dust and small to babyhead size loose rock under the dust. very loose trail surfaces in both canyons and portions of the trails. There is garbage is some places including catheter tip type syringes, water bottles, plastic bags.

Moderator Moderator
    Apr 2011
    Hopefully we can get another couple big thunderstorms through the sierras in the next week to wash out some of the fines. Hopefully the Tevis people will do some clean-up work. That sounds pretty miserable as is.

Sweater

Tahoe Sierra 100

Hopefully we can get another couple big thunderstorms through the sierras in the next week to wash out some of the fines. Hopefully the Tevis people will do some clean-up work. That sounds pretty miserable as is.
    Tahoe city had some thunderstorms today and 80 was pretty wet on the drive home.

mtb'er
    Quote Originally Posted by sprankle View Post
    Searched did not see any threads regarding this upcoming event, is anyone doing it?

I will be coming up solo and trying to connect with someone that can help me get back to the start point.
    Jim just sent out an email saying he's only had one person request a shuttle back to the start. He needs 10 people to justify the shuttle van. All interested riders should email him at [email protected]

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Anybody thinking of camping out the night before the race? I read you can't camp at the start. Would Sugar Bowl be the closest "camping". I know they let you sleep in the lot. Any other suggestions?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    It would be nice if the total number of riders was posted on the website. Any one have an estimate?

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006

Tahoe Sierra 100

Rode FHDL today and TS100 head's up signs are upTahoe Sierra 100-imageuploadedbytapatalk1408335786.292097.jpg

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006

Tahoe Sierra 100

Still time to register! :-) i think registration closes tomorrow morning

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    Still time to register! :-) i think registration closes tomorrow morning
    ride sounds too hard for us slowpokes!!

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by seoulriding View Post
    ride sounds too hard for us slowpokes!!
    I thought you were doing it actually...no? this is right up your alley actually i would think.

Moderator Moderator
    Apr 2011
    I wonder if Wherewolf is signed up. A 100 miles through the sierras...that's like a normal Wednesday for the Wolf right?

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker

Perfect Weather!!

This is the best forecast I have ever seen for the TS100. Looks to be a bit chilly at the start. Take it over heat any day!

Tahoe Sierra 100-capture.jpg
    ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006

Tahoe Sierra 100

Yes that forecast is awesome! If i recall it was around 43 degrees at the start of the last one in 2012 so pretty similar. Can't wait!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Good Luck to all. I can't wait. I've been training and preparing for this adventure all summer. My goal is to finish without surgery The area is fantastic. My daughters asked me what will I do after the race. I found it.....California Sierra Trail Race; 425 miles. (maybe) My aunt in Gardnerville, NV challenged me to ride to her house and the trail to take is basically the CSTR trail but go through S. Lake Tahoe instead. fun times ahead.

Have a great ride!!

MTB Racer
    Rode the start today down to the turn off for fire road 51. Corners are loose, some feel like marbles and others are like riding sand. I'm gonna locate a bandanna to wear as the dust was pretty bad.

Drink and fuel often, even when it's cold.

Good luck everyone it's beautiful out there! Can't wait to get rollin'.

mtb'er
    Sprankle (or anyone else that might be in a shuttle/lodging pinch). I have room for one more person and bike in my truck. Tyrone Shoelaces, Zon and myself are meeting in Auburn (near the finish area) and rolling out of there at about 5pm on Friday in one vehicle. We'll do "racer" check-in by 7pm and eat dinner at Summit Restaurant in Soda Springs. Another mtbr buddy has graciously opened his Soda Springs cabin to us, and we'll crash there, and stock his fridge with beer. I'm sure there's room at the cabin for one more person (bring sleeping bag). My GF will be driving up with us and will be driving my truck and all our un-needed gear (sleeping bags, clothes, bike stuff, etc.) back to Auburn while we are riding. The truck will be waiting for us in Auburn at the finish area (the school).

Let me know ASAP if you want to hop on board. Sprankle gets dibs since he/she started this thread.

If anyone cannot get to check-in on Thursday in Auburn or Friday in Soda Springs, let me know and I will check you in... IF you get me your filled out medical form (http://www.globalbiorhythmevents.com...-new-one-2.pdf)... pm me for an email address.

Can't wait!!

Red Star Ridge:

mtbr member

Tahoe Sierra 100

Horse Watch Report is busy spreading lies, half truths and fear mongering about the T/S100.
    http://www.parkwatchreport.org/artic...query&art=4901

They are right about the 100's of hours of trail work required to put on this race. Of course they don't mention that the trail work is done BEFORE the race, repairing the damage done by the equestrians and the Tevis Cup. Jim Northey kills himself every year moving rocks to clear the course and repair the damaged trail. We owe him a debt of gratitude for his efforts.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    Horse Watch Report is busy spreading lies, half truths and fear mongering about the T/S100.
    Park Watch Report -=- Article Aug. 23 TS 100 Mt. Bike Ultra Endurance Race set for this Saturday on the Western States

They are right about the 100's of hours of trail work required to put on this race. Of course they don't mention that the trail work is done BEFORE the race, repairing the damage done by the equestrians and the Tevis Cup. Jim Northey kills himself every year moving rocks to clear the course and repair the damaged trail. We owe him a debt of gratitude for his efforts.
    Absolutely! With out the contributions Jim has given over the years to mountain biking in N. California we would have no where near what we have to day for racing, trails, and participation in the sport we all enjoy. If there ever is a MTB Hall of Fame, Jim needs to be in it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

mtb'er

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! A few more volunteers needed!

Northey really needs a couple more volunteers for the aid station before Robinson Flat (https://goo.gl/maps/3XFeh). Shift is about 7am until 11:00am. Someone with a truck would be great, so that some road signs can be hauled back to Foresthill and used later in the day. Please help if you can fit it into your busy life! I'll buy beers for you!

PM me
    Last edited by Empty_Beer; 08-24-2014 at 04:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Brew/Zon.....I know this is not a trail advocacy thread but that Park Watch report entry about the TS100 just makes me sick....what a bunch of crap......

Now on to the race....good luck everyone and enjoy yourselves out there.....the weather will be unbeatable!!!!!!!

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    Park Watch Report -=- Article Aug. 23 TS 100 Mt. Bike Ultra Endurance Race set for this Saturday on the Western States

Set the record straight with a comment on the Auburn Journal article.

Tahoe-Sierra 100-Mile Mountain Bike Endurance Ride set for Saturday | Auburn Journal

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by zon View Post
    Set the record straight with a comment on the Auburn Journal article.

Tahoe-Sierra 100-Mile Mountain Bike Endurance Ride set for Saturday | Auburn Journal

Done!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Excited!
    Here's to sweat in your eye.

I'm a "she".
    Quote Originally Posted by mudncrud View Post
    Excited!
    About what?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    premonitions of sweat in your eye

Moderator Moderator
    Apr 2011
    In case you missed the email. There was a last minute change to the finish line location. Its now at the lower parking lot at Placer Highschool. That's the corner of Orange St. and Finley St.

Moderator Moderator
    Apr 2011
    Oh, and dont forget. Food Truck Fiesta is kicking off at 5:00pm tonight. That's at the Auburn Rec Park. Recreation Park ::

Proceeds go to the Bike Park. Auburn Ale House on tap, and some of the best food trucks in the region.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006

Tahoe Sierra 100

That was hard

I'm a "she".
    That was hard
    Holy moly, the ride was really hard! It kicked my butt. My first time on any of these trails. Way more hike-a-bike than I had anticipated. That did me in. Rode the last 45 miles with cramps. Never hurt so bad in my life!

I guess the 2014 variation is harder than 2012? Judging by the higher elevation gain and the half hour extended cutoff times.

3am, we are driving back to the Bay Area (busy day tomorrow). Mr Mud said something about the ride that made me laugh (followed by coughing): "I never would have thought from Truckee to Auburn is all up hill."

MTB Racer
    That was hard. Each canyon climb slashed my heart rate. Almost quit, the volunteers at Michigan patched me up and motivated me to finish. The volunteers were fantastic and without them this event would not be possible.

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Brutal,

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006

I guess the 2014 variation is harder than 2012? Judging by the higher elevation gain and the half hour extended cutoff times.
    IMO, yes...this version was definitely harder. The old route had a big climb up to Red Star Ridge that we didn't do this year, but it was all ridable and getting to the bottom of that climb was fairly easy and you could recover a bunch for it. This year the new section due to the forced re-route was much harder...just so loose and tough and just beat you down even more.

I battle cramps all day...felt them as early as the climb to Robinson Flat.....cheers to everyone who attempted to tackle this. I have done quite a bit of races and I really think this year's course was the most physically demanding course I have ever raced. The current version of the Cascade Creampuff held that spot after I raced it last year, but man...this was definitely way harder.

I'm a "she".
    I battle cramps all day...felt them as early as the climb to Robinson Flat.....
    I have guesses why cramps happened to me on this ride, but why do you think that is for you? Mainly wanted to learn if you think there is anything you can do to prevent it from happening again.

I think it was your ride report I read where you cramped in 2012 and pickled juice fixed it, so from Deadwood Station on, the first thing I asked for desperately was "pickled juice?" (yeah, my communication had reduced to short phrases and words by then), and the answer was a ubiquitous soul-crashing "no." (Maybe they ran out when I rode in.) It seemed that Endurolytes and Sportlegs pills were not really doing it for me -- every time, I took some, my cramps first seemed worse immediately, then they subsided a little, and then they came back just as bad, but I was so desperate to make them go away that I kept popping the pills in with higher dosage and frequency (sometimes 15 minutes apart) than recommended . I remember on the ride I was picturing myself suddenly drop dead on the trail and later autopsy reports "OD'ed on supplements."

I think my cramps really started on the climb to up Devil's Middle Finger (that's what I was calling it in my mind when humping the bike up), which I never saw (nor did Mr. Mud). But even before that, I was already pretty much pooped out -- who would've thought downhills could be that taxing and there were many of those!

Oh, yes, the volunteers on this ride were INCREDIBLE!!! And a big shoutout to MTBR's own seoulriding who came to help out until the late hours after his own big day. Also stayed till the end were Karl (probably a local as he provided intimate trail beta to both Mr. Mud and me when we rode through, separately) and company (a few ladies and two impressive young kids). Later on the ride, everytime I popped out at some intersection (not aid stations yet), they were there to check on me, to help, and to cheer me on when I rode on.
    Last edited by mudworm; 08-24-2014 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Changed wording. Devil did not give a thumb up, but instead gave me the middle finger.

Sweater

Tahoe Sierra 100

I have guesses why cramps happened to me on this ride, but why do you think that is for you? Mainly wanted to learn if you think there is anything you can do to prevent it from happening again.

I think it was your ride report I read where you cramped in 2012 and pickled juice fixed it, so from Deadwood Station on, the first thing I asked for desperately was "pickled juice?" (yeah, my communication had reduced to short phrases and words by then), and the answer was a ubiquitous soul-crashing "no." (Maybe they ran out when I rode in.) It seemed that Endurolytes and Sportlegs pills were not really doing it for me -- every time, I took some, my cramps first seemed worse immediately, then they subsided a little, and then they came back just as bad, but I was so desperate to make them go away that I kept popping the pills in with higher dosage and frequency (sometimes 15 minutes apart) than recommended . I remember on the ride I was picturing myself suddenly drop dead on the trail and later autopsy reports "OD'ed on supplements."

I think my cramps really started on the climb to up Devil's Thumb, which I never saw (nor did Mr. Mud). But even before that, I was already pretty much pooped out -- who would've thought downhills could be that taxing and there were many of those!

Oh, yes, the volunteers on this ride were INCREDIBLE!!! And a big shoutout to MTBR's own seoulriding who came to help out until the late hours after his own big day. Also stayed till the end were Karl (probably a local as he provided intimate trail beta to both Mr. Mud and me when we rode through, separately) and company (a few ladies and two impressive young kids). Later on the ride, everytime I popped out at some intersection (not aid stations yet), they were there to check on me, to help, and to cheer me on when I rode on.
    I battle cramps often as well. For me they are just part of riding. I didn't do the TS100 this year but have a few times before. On any really big ride I do I always start slow. Really really slow. Those long climbs that normally can be done midway through the cassette?......granny or one down. Slow to the point where I feel really guilty. I also make it a point to stay hydrated. This is part of the reason I use water bottles. It's easier to keep track of how much I've drank and whether I should drink more whether I'm thirsty or not. For me, it's a 24oz bottle per hour minimum. More when it's hot. Lastly, Devils thumb, There's nothing you can do. It will destroy you and that's it.
    Good job. It's a really hard ride. This ride (race?) is so fun because it's such great trails, scenery, a huge accomplishment from the challenge, and just a really well run event.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    CONGRATULATIONS to all the finishers. I like to think I finished 1st.....out, that is. my freehub blew on mile 7. never expected that. Next year for me but I am planning to ride the whole route in 1 day, self supported with some friends. Loved joining Michigan Bluff volunteers so I saw some of you come thru. See you next year!

Moderator Moderator
    Apr 2011
    And a big shoutout to MTBR's own seoulriding who came to help out until the late hours after his own big day.
    Oh THAT was Seoulriding. I thought he looked familiar. I email him a picture of himself that I took at a TBF last year, but I didn't put it together yesterday.

Kudos to those that finished or even attempted. Really inspiring to see the giant sized "MO" on display yesterday.

Anybody have contact with the guy from Japan? I would be interested to hear his comments after capping off a summer of riding MTB100s.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Harder than I thought it would be and I thought it would be hard. Had cramps for a bit and they went away. Have had that happen before. The volunteers at all the stations were super, even when I went into survival mode and just kind of mumbled my way through. Was amazing to have volunteers follow me on the course and cheer me on. Chased the cutoff to the finish. SoulRider and many others went beyond what would be expected.

Tough ride.

I dig trails!
    That was hard. Each canyon climb slashed my heart rate. Almost quit, the volunteers at Michigan patched me up and motivated me to finish. The volunteers were fantastic and without them this event would not be possible.
    Yeah! That was our FATRAC aid station. Super stoked you made it to the finish. We could see in a lot of riders faces how savory the thought of bailing out after those climbs to get to Michigan Bluff. Those climbs are steeeeep! We loved that you guys got back up after a rest and hit it again to the finish. Thanks for the inspiration! Fun day for us!

We are already talking about hosting the same station next race. Moar watermelon! Pickle juice next time.

P

Like our Facebook page for more photos:
    https://www.facebook.com/FATRACmtb

FATRAC - Folsom Auburn Trail Riders Action Coalition - Mountain biking in the Sacramento and Sierra Foothills

Tahoe Sierra 100-cam01037.jpgTahoe Sierra 100-cam01062.jpgTahoe Sierra 100-cam01064.jpgTahoe Sierra 100-cam01066.jpgTahoe Sierra 100-cam01075.jpgTahoe Sierra 100-cam01070.jpg

mtb'er
    ^ FATRAC wins my award for best aid station! Thanks everyone! Folsom-Bike gets the award for being the only aid station that had PICKLES! Extra props to Auburn Presbyterian Church for manning TWO aid station (Red Star and Dusty Corners). And huge kudos to James Anderson and his gal for taking on the Glen Mine aid station themselves. This event could never happen without these wonderful volunteers!

Moving on... Wow. Gathering my thoughts. In the meantime, some photos of the studs and studettes that tackled the hardest 100 miler in the country!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...7188143&type=1

Mudworm!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    well done, you're a stud!!

Don't Tread on Me
    Congratulations to all. You people are awesome. Any reports on final mileage and elevation?
    Consciousness, that annoying time between bike rides.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006

Tahoe Sierra 100

Quote Originally Posted by Lopaka View Post
    Congratulations to all. You people are awesome. Any reports on final mileage and elevation?
    I recorded 104 miles and 15,300 climbing, but that includes a wrong turn and some backtracking (course was marked well, it was my own fault for not paying attention

https://www.strava.com/activities/184482421

HTFU!
    Nice job Ron and the rest of you. I was hoping to ride it this year but life got in the way blah blah blah. Next year! Anyway, I was at the finish/awards ceremony...and how about that kid (18 or 19 I am guessing) on the Single Speed? Ran 32:19 and came in 3rd overall??? Yowzers. I asked how much pushing he did and he said about 30-40% of the climbs. Dang.
    Well, I hope to see you all next year. And what is this I hear about a totally different course in 2015?
    I no longer deserve a signature. :skep:

mtbr member
    Props to you all. This is one of my training goals, and although I was wanting to do it this year I just wasn't ready. Next year for sure as I've adjusted some things and have dropped some weight. Can't wait.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I am glad we turned you around.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Carl Here.
    Yes a local. I rode the fist half of the relay and followed you up "Devil's finger"
    We were all there cheering on my team mate who finished just before you.
    It was a fun day. Glad we we could cheer you up too.
    btw. you are the most inspirational rider of the day. You would not let anything stop you from finishing, regardless of cramping, darkness, or cut-off times.
    Thank you.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by S.O.B. View Post
    Nice job Ron and the rest of you. I was hoping to ride it this year but life got in the way blah blah blah. Next year! Anyway, I was at the finish/awards ceremony...and how about that kid (18 or 19 I am guessing) on the Single Speed? Ran 32:19 and came in 3rd overall??? Yowzers. I asked how much pushing he did and he said about 30-40% of the climbs. Dang.
    Yes that SS'er is Steven Mills. 20 year old kid from near Redding/Shasta. He has won the SS class at the Napa Valley Dirt Classic this year and just won the the Downieville All Mountain in SS class a few weeks ago. Great kid and obviously an amazing rider. I was talking to him at the start and he told me was riding a 32x20. In 2012, I ran a 34x22 in this race and ended up 7th overall. And I thought this year's version was tougher so it's boggling my mind what he did this weekend...super impressive.

MTB Racer
    I rode a section of the Colorado Trail 4-weeks ago with a teammate. Cramping came up as I always suffer with cramps. He said he asked Katie Compton the same question as she suffered from them, Compton said try ZMA. ZMA is a zinc magnesium supplement that you take before bed. I started taking it 3-weeks ago and I didn't cramp at all on Saturday. I also drank water like crazy for two weeks before the TS-100 and the last week I also drank one (1) Skratch everyday electrolytes each day. On the bike during race I took in water every 10-15min immediately after I left the start line. In the water bottle I had skratch exercise drink that I would try to empty by the time I got to an aid station. If you stay hydrated the body can then digest. Every time I ate food I'd drink a mouthful of water. Food on the bike: rice with bacon, rice with chocolate chips, honey stinger gels and blocks. I saved the caffeine ones for the last 20-30miles. Stomach felt great when I reached the finish.

I'm a "she".
    Wow, where to start. Many new posts and lots of good information.

Thanks so much for the great tips on cramping and the avoidance of it. I don't cramp often, but I definitely completely under-estimated this ride (and its terrain). The last time we touched our mountain bike before the ride was four weeks ago, and we didn't get signed up until two days before. Thought we could just go out and wing it (like we did with many big rides), but we paid for it big time on this ride. I hope we learned our lesson although knowing ourselves, there is no guarantee there.

Ha, the FATRAC aid station gets the best costume award! I admit though I was so knackered at each aid station after Devil's M Finger, esp. after the "no" answer to my desperate pickle juice search that I told Mr. Mud, "they could have all been naked and I would not have noticed anything out of ordinary." I apologize to all the volunteers that I rode past that I was not able to return an equally enthusiastic loud cheer.

EB, thanks for the picture. I don't have an FB account to see all the photos you linked, so I appreciate the easy access to mine. Hope the photo is not giving anyone nightmare because my face was covered in blotchy white sunblock as well as heavy dust. The photographer set up his station after what I believe is called "Glen Mine Three Climb" before the 43/96 aid station. It was a slow grind for me. It took a lot out of me to force a smile out for that shot. Such a poser!

Quote Originally Posted by cdguettler View Post
    You would not let anything stop you from finishing, regardless of cramping, darkness, or cut-off times.
    Carl, thanks for your encourage on the ride and kind words in your posts. My GPS gave up on me despite the full charge (on a battery pack) late into the ride, so I lost all sense of time. I knew it was getting darker and darker, and then completely dark, but figured the station would let me know if they had to pull me. It was not until Stagecoach where one nice lady said something to the effect that I had missed the cut off time. I responded sincerely that "I don't want to make you responsible for me, so how about I turn in my number plate (thus quit TS100) and I'll do the rest of the ride on my own?" I had a good light and a blinky, so I wasn't worried about finishing the ride. It was then that Seouldriding stepped in and told me not to worry about it and just carry on. (Sorry that I got you in trouble for it. ) He gave me a strong push and I was on my last leg of the ride. The two young boys even jogged up next to me and hiked with me to the sharp left turn on the fireroad to send me off on my last slog (thankfully on very gentle grade) up to the finish.

There is a reason that I named my ride Tahoe Sierra 100 . Against ALL odds, I finished/survived/lived. Thanks to all my lucky stars who made this possible!

Come to think of it, if the ride was allocated maxmium 15.5 hours, I exceeded it by 8 minutes. Hope I was not too big of a trouble maker for people involved.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I noticed the same with the timing. I thought I had gone over the allotted time but was well within the 16 hour time limit. Ok, well within might be a slight over statement.

I'm a "she".
    Quote Originally Posted by mudncrud View Post
    I noticed the same with the timing. I thought I had gone over the allotted time but was well within the 16 hour time limit. Ok, well within might be a slight over statement.
    The thinking ability still has not returned yet (the case with me here)? What were you talking about? You did it in 15 hours on the mark!

I did it in 15:38, but a missed turn cost me about 9 minutes. It was a sharp left off of the super wide fireroad after Michigan Bluff station (I think). I was riding and chatting a little with Kevin at the time. Neither of us noticed the arrow on the left bank and the smaller fireroad going left and back. Thankfully, he at one point stopped and said he was not seeing tracks. I'm super impressed that he was still so alert at the time and was grateful that he turned us around before we went into abyss. Were we the only people who missed it?

Later I leapfrogged with Kevin many times. I think last time I rode past him was on that long/painful fireroad towards Driver's Flat. He said something to me, but I was hurting too much to comprehend (thought he said I was bad) let alone respond. Sorry Kevin!

I was hacking up a lung last night. Guess my business with TS100 is still not over yet. Cool!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Mudworm,

Kevin here.

No apology needed for not responding on the climb to Drivers Flat. I was totally impressed with the way you did not give up and just kept on cranking.

Carl was my relay partner and I could not have asked for a better one nor a better training partner. Thanks Carl.

The day was amazing and I was just glad to get across the line and finish!

I'm a "she".
    Hi Kevin! Thanks for taking the time to register and reply!

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalKevin View Post
    The day was amazing and I was just glad to get across the line and finish!
    Ha, weren't we all!

MTB Racer
    Congratulations to all that raced this year's TS100. I had my GoPro snapping pictures every 60secs and was able to compile them into a 19 min video. It would have been shorter if I coulda been a little faster, but like everyone out there, I had nothing left at the end and gave it my all. The changing views were amazing, it's something that only happens with a point to point like the TS100.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIgt...ature=youtu.be

CT

mtbr member
    May 2014
    @snowryder. thank you for the video and carrying that extra weight. I recognized every scene including some of the rocks!

mtb'er
    Cool idea, snowryder! It doesn't capture the pain or the speed, but your video sure shows the varied terrain we rode. Thanks for doing that!

My ride report:

It was about 40 degrees at the 5:30am rider meeting:

My buddy In$ane was fired up at the start:

We headed out on Soda Springs Rd.

We hit the dirt on Soda Springs Rd. and flew down and down and down:

7 miles in, I flatted somehow

Every rider passed me as I was fixing my stubborn flat... and the moto sweeps patiently waited for me to get moving again (10 minutes later). So I played catch-up, photographer, bike medic and pacer for the next 50 something miles.

Climbing to Lyon Ridge:

The 2014 course veered onto the Tevis trail for the first time, which added about 1'000 of climbing, a fair amount of hike-a-bike, and at least an hour to people's times from a couple years ago.

I came across this dude with a ripped off derailleur. Spent another 10 minutes or so helping him make it into a SS. Hopefully it worked!

Beautiful views from the trail:

Most people push their bike while walking on the left side of it:

I rode with Zon and became his personal photographer:

The Tevis trail had its moments of flow:

Red Star Ridge is always fun.... Zon blazing through an old burn:

Zon zipping through new growth:

I passed this gal nearing the end of Red Star Ridge... she was loving the trail:

After the 2nd aid station (mile 36-ish), there's a somewhat friendly 5 mile fire road spin to the Cavanah Ridge (Robinson Flat area) turn off... a couple steep pitches towards the end had some folks walking:

But after that climbing, we were treated to a nice, long, often rowdy DH on mixed terrain and nice views:

We hit the first evidence of the terrible 2013 American Fire, and navigated a short section that the road grader hammered:

Dusty Corners (mile 50-ish) and our own Big Boulder were a welcome site to see. Major props to Big Boulder and Dougie Fresh for manning 2 aid stations (Red Star and Dusty Corners), representing Auburn Presbyterian Church!

Leaving Dusty Corners, the real fun of the course begins, in my opinion. A bunch of nice singletrack leads to the famous "Pucker Point", with spectacular views of the N. Fork of the American River, thousands of feet below:

Nice spinny flume at the right time:

After the festive and KILLER descent from Last Chance to Swinging Bridge, a refreshing walk across the creek was nice. The bridge burned in the 2013 American Fire.

Then comes the segment that keeps most people from doing or returning to TS100.. the 1.6 mile, nearly 1,500' hoof from the creek to Devil's Thumb. I was rocking some music and really didn't get discouraged hiking up it this year. I even rode a bunch of it on the top 3rd that I normally hike.

After a rest stop at the Auburn Bike Works aid station at Deadwood, the THRILLING descent down to Michigan Bar presents itself. It feels endless when you're going down... and the views are pretty spectacular too!

All smiles getting to the second to last switchback before the bridge below:

The climb up to Michigan Bar starts out steep and painful... I hiked it. But the grade lightens up fairly soon and most of it is pretty rideable, depending on the condition of your legs. This was a nice "switchback":

Arriving in Michigan Bluff (mile 70-ish), the FATRAC aid station is lively and fun. They had been offering Fireball and bacon all day.

Unfortunately, Mr. P informed me that I missed the 5pm cut-off by a few minutes. What!?! Dang... I guess I burned a lot of time stopping for photos, refreshments and assisting a couple riders. Oh well... I wasn't going for fastest time anyway. So I set off to finish the 100 miles, but in "business mode".... so no more photos. 4 hours and change later, I arrived at Placer HS with 104 miles on my Garmin, ready to get off my bike, and stoked to have completed the HARDEST 100 MILE MTB EVENT EVER!

More photos here: TS100 Photo Album

Congratulations to everyone that attempted this event, and much respect to everyone that completed it. While I can't comprehend how Aren Timmel covered the route in 10 hours and change, I'm sure he can't fathom how some of us spent another 5 hours battling that course :-)

Thank you Jim Northey, Erick Northey, Andrea Northey, Lisa/Auburn Bike Works, Auburn Presbyterian Church (x2!), James Anderson and his girlfriend, FATRAC, Folsom Bike, Erin McChesney, Justin Leech (sweep), Folsom Breakouts (bbq), USFS - American River District, Auburn State Recreation Area, and every volunteer I forgot to name that helped make this world class event happen. It was incredible!

mtbr member
    Great report EB. Nice work.

MTB Racer
    Fantastic pictures Empty_Beer! Thank you for sharing! When I finished that ride, I said never again, 3 days later after the saddle sores healed and checking out the photos from the ride, I can now say that I would do the TS100 again. The only thing I'd change is I would ride it on full suspension. There was a single speeder riding a rigid fork...damn that is manning up.

I'm a "she".
    My legs cramped again ... just from watching the video. Thanks for sharing. Did it strike others odd that there are so many more shots in that 20min video that appear to be on a climb? Who would have thought from Truckee to Auburn is all uphill.

EB, that's a great photo report! Thanks!

mtb'er
    Did it strike others odd that there are so many more shots in that 20min video that appear to be on a climb? Who would have thought from Truckee to Auburn is all uphill.
    Well, if the camera is taking photos every minute, of course there will be more uphill shots since we are much slower going uphill than downhill. For me, there would have been 45 photos of the 1.9 mile hike-a-bike up to Devil's Thumb and 15 photos of the next descent (12.8 miles) to the river.

edit- my Garmin showed ~19.2K climbing and ~24.6K descending. That course is no joke!

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Great write-up and pics Jeff.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

I'm a "she".

Not that simple

Well, if the camera is taking photos every minute, of course there will be more uphill shots since we are much slower going uphill than downhill. For me, there would have been 45 photos of the 1.9 mile hike-a-bike up to Devil's Thumb and 15 photos of the next descent (12.8 miles) to the river.

edit- my Garmin showed ~19.2K climbing and ~24.6K descending. That course is no joke!
    It's not that simple, Mr. Smart Guy! I didn't want to scare you folks, but I think there is some weird fields going on in the Sierra. Only a month ago, I have confirmed with hard facts that the universe is indeed expanding on our Truckee to Nevada City ride. There, the phenomenon is when you are riding on the flowy Pioneer Trail towards Nevada City near sunset, the trails keep extending way beyond what the mileage suggests on GPS. Very strange! On this TS 100 ride, the phenomenon was the climbs did no appear to ever end once I started pushing. 24.6k' of descending? I must have done it backwards. Tell ya, it's strange!

MTB Racer
    bummed...all the Tahoe-Sierra 100 results are now gone...now that race is no longer.

mtbr member
    bummed...all the Tahoe-Sierra 100 results are now gone...now that race is no longer.
    Bummer. Only thing left will be our memories.

mtb'er
    It was too hard for 99.99% of mountain bikers. But 100 mile gravel grinders are a thing now!!! Oh yay!

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Google can still find the results. Still alive. They are living here now:
    Results - Tahoe Sierra - northlander

mtbr member
    It was too hard for 99.99% of mountain bikers. But 100 mile gravel grinders are a thing now!!! Oh yay!
    Ironic huh.
    And everybody poo-pooed the early years for having too many gravel roads.

mtb'er
    ^ This is where I like to remind people that there is a lottery to get into the Western States 100 ultra run (capped at 369 runners). More than 2,500 runners applied for the lottery in 2015. And those that get in don't get to shred down all those super fun descents! Mt. bikers are puzzies