Tahoe Sierra 100/50 Roll Call!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Tahoe Sierra 100/50 Roll Call!

We are just a little under 3 weeks away from the TS 100. Who is gonna give this a shot?

Not me....our lil organization will be handeling the aid stations at Red Star, The Y and Dusty Corners so I am hoping to see some MTBR faces out there.

The 50 mile ride sounds like a nice warm up but the 100 is where the fun is at. Probably the only chance some of you may ever get to ride places like Red Star ridge, Barney Cavanah and Pucker Point...
    :p

Sweater
    I'll be there doing the either the 100 or the 14hr.
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***

mtbr member
    IN. 100 ss. Love this race.

mtbr member
    Does anyone know what Jimmy was planning as qualifiers for next year's event?

I'm not ready to do another 100 miler again after last weekend. I would like to maybe get in next year if its an option without riding this year.

pro leisure tour
    In for 50 mile 50-59 mens catagory. Not ready for 100.
    If you see someone without a smile, give them yours

bicycle rider
    Yo, 40-49 men 100 miler.

Morgan

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Be there!

100 miler SS. Gonna be fun...some dust, some rock, some epic views, some hike a bike, and a whole lot of smiling.
    Happy new year..Stuff $: Eno 29wheel (non disc), Yakima, 2 steelheads, with towers for Volvo luggage rails.

mtbr member
    I'm in, 50-59 mens 100.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    40-49 men, 100 miles (ulp!)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

In

100, 40-49
    Romani ite domum

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Yep,, in for 100 old fat guy class.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

mtbr member

Very cool

Morgan, Bob, Paul, Roger, Mike, Dan, Sparky....and others

I will be shouting encouragement to you at Red Star in the morning at red star

then mocking you that afternoon at the Y...with beer in hand.

lets hope for a little smattering of rain before the race.

mtbr member
    i'm 90% sure I am in for the 100, 50-59. Never done more then 60 before, should be interesting. Anyone want to join me for a 5 hour pre ride on part of the course on Saturday?
    Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin
    i'm 90% sure I am in for the 100, 50-59. Never done more then 60 before, should be interesting. Anyone want to join me for a 5 hour pre ride on part of the course on Saturday?

Just do it,,,, after 60 it's all mental.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zon
    Just do it,,,, after 60 it's all mental.
    That what I'm afraid of! I'm really good at making myself miserable riding 2 hours

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    Don't forget the ibuprofen.
    Take a look at and consider "liking" our VAR Facebook and VAR Instagram pages.

mtbr member
    I'm in for the 100. Fat boy class.
    Primary mission - beat Zon like an old drum!!
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by rsquared28
    I'm in for the 100. Fat boy class.
    Primary mission - beat Zon like an old drum!!

That won't be hard,,, I'm older and fatter than you by a country mile.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

pro leisure tour
    What, am I the only one doing the 50? I hope somebody else is posts up who isn't doing the 100 so I don't feel like such a wus!
    If you see someone without a smile, give them yours

Feral Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkyJ
    What, am I the only one doing the 50? I hope somebody else is posts up who isn't doing the 100 so I don't feel like such a wus!
    I'm doing the 50 and have a firm grip on the wus in DFL spot...

- Booker C. Bense

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

BB ya better have a firm grip

cuz I may confuse that beer as a waterbottle hand off.

See ya out there!
    Happy new year..Stuff $: Eno 29wheel (non disc), Yakima, 2 steelheads, with towers for Volvo luggage rails.

Feral Roadie
    I just missed DFL in the 50... I had it in hand until Redstar, and then people started cramping badly in front of me. Failed in my hydration strategy to induce cramps at the
    proper time. I thought failing to refill my hydration bladder at the last rest stop would see me through, but apparently that didn't work. Missed it by a couple riders.

I have to say, being DFL and listening to the sweep motorcycle run for 30 secs while you take 15 mins to cover the same ground gets a bit demoralizing. Although, hat's off to the motorcycle sweep, he really made an effort not to push me on the second big climb, stayed at least one switchback behind the whole time. That's got to be a really tough job, it'd be so easy to be a jerk without really trying.

_ Booker C. Bense
    Last edited by bbense; 09-13-2010 at 12:26 PM.

mtbr member
    where can i find information on who raced and times??
    All work and no play makes Detoilet a dull boy!

Sweater
    Quote Originally Posted by bbense
    I just missed DFL in the 50... I had it in hand until Redstar, and then people started cramping badly in front of me. Failed in my hydration strategy to induce cramps at the
    proper time. I thought failing to refill my hydration bladder at the last rest stop would see me through, but apparently that didn't work. Missed it by a couple riders.

I have to say, being DFL and listening to the sweep motorcycle run for 30 secs while you take 15 mins to cover the same ground gets a bit demoralizing. Although, hat's off to the motorcycle sweep, he really made an effort not to push me on the second big climb, stayed at least one switchback behind the whole time. That's got to be a really tough job, it'd be so easy to be a jerk without really trying.

_ Booker C. Bense
    Last year I was that same guy in the 100, except I did capture the DFL medal. It was pretty bad, I had the two motorcycle sweep guys right behind me on the last climb up soda springs and the Sag trucks were passing me up full of bikes and racers. Yeah, those guys do a really good job. They gave the motorcycle headlights to finish the ride, I felt like I was leading a motorcade.
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I should have read the tea leaves~

Wow, that was ugly...I guess I should have the read the tea leafs on this one...the signs were surely there.

1. Daughter has the flu on Wed/Thurs and I up all night with her.
    2. On friday..after two unsuccessful attempts fixing my Reba the last two weeks, I make one last attempt and I spend two hours with Sean at ABW rebuilding it using my other Reba (Thanks for that Sean, I do appreciate it!).
    3. Midnightish Friday...Amanda is up hurling with her turn with the flu....my stomach is also not feeling hot.
    4. 3:30 A.M. alarm goes off, but I've been up since midnight.
    5. Morning pipes clean themselves out before I touch any coffee.
    6. I don't touch my coffee on the way up to Soda Springs because it doesn't taste good at all (This one should have been the clincher!).

So the race starts and we're off..I get off toward the front maybe five back right on Jared's wheel.
    Within the first mile we hit a steep transition through a stream and I slam into it dodging Jared and blow the bead on my front tire and blow up my rebuilt fork.
    I fix the tire and am back on my bike and begin chasing through the slower traffic, of course riding too hard.
    I back off as we head into the long descent and through the bottom of the canyon before climbing to Lyon Ridge.
    Matt Zanner catches up to me and we chat and I'm now noticing my stomach is bloated and I'm getting nice lil needle pains through my gut.
    I consider it maybe the frantic of the beginning of the race and take it easy on the lower part of Lyon's Ridge and Matt rides away.
    I start down Lyon's Ridge descent and whether the jostling or what...I throw up in my mouth first and then brake to a stop and chuke off the side of the trail.
    Back on I finish the descent and labor up to Red Star Ridge where I make the first and only smart decision of the day and tell the aid station leaders (including BB!) to put me down as DNF.

As I said, the only smart decision...in my head I figured I could slowly pedal back to the start....the next 20 miles and 3 hours were incredibly difficult. I could sip water but could barely get myself to eat anything...I walked most everything that resembled steep but finally did make it to Serene Lakes and over to the lodge.

I checked in my dnf...wiped of my face and grabbed what I thought was a sprite to settle my stomach...I think it may in fact been a Mt Dew knock off. and immediatley got in my truck headed for home.

Anyway, I made it home..showered and layed on the couch through this morning...I finally ate some rice last night at about 10 p.m. and managed to keep it down. I'm still feeling like crap, but no longer feel like I have to puke...yeah.

What a terrible way to spend a saturday. So far this race has been my bain, the first edition of it, I couldn't keep air in my tires...this edition I couldn't keep anything in me.

PS, my son woke up this morning throwing up...so now we've managed to get the whole family...so we're good. When's the next race.

mtbr member
    that sounds horrible man, but at least you made the right decision. Deeper into the race and no aid stations around, you could have been in serious trouble.

Sorry it didn't work out for you, but get better soon!

bicycle rider
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/48759288

Wow, that was hard.

Morgan

mtbr member
    That was my first 100 mile race and with a doubt the hardest thing I have ever done. The last 2-3 hours was pure survival, everything hurt. I had to walk across the finish line I was cramping so bad. But I won the 50+ race with a time of 10:28. Time to eat my third lunch today

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by morganfletcher
    Wow, that was hard.
    Thats an understatement

It was a lot of fun too! Anybody that missed this event missed an amazing day of great weather, scenery and racing. Jimmy put on a great event.
    The aid stations were well stocked and the volunteers were super helpful. A racer would pull in and they were swarmed by aid station workers. One would take your bike and lube the chain, make sure everything was working right. Another would snatch away your camelback and refill the bladder. That made things real easy to take a moment and let the heartrate recover, get a bite to eat and get going again. Big Thanks to all of the aid station workers.
    I made good time during the first part of the race, since I know these roads and trails well. The climb up to Lyon Ridge was frustrating as several riders simply fell over right in front of me, interupting my climb.
    Redstar Ridge went ok. I had serveal riders right behind me pushing me through the second half of it and that helped cut my time down.
    I suffered in the lower sections that I did not pre-ride. The 6 mile loop after Dusty Corners was tough but fun. Despite stopping to check out the view at Pucker Point, I still busted out a 50 minute lap. Most of that was a big ring hammer fest on the fire road.
    I walked most of the climb up out of Dusty Corners.
    After the Y aid station, I was back on roads I was familiar with. I made all of the climbs with few issues and hammered the decents.
    My biggest issue was about 1/2 a mile from dropping back into the single track at the end. I pushed really hard on that last climb. Maybe too hard. I had just enough time to jump off the bike and get off of the road before the vomit came up. Too much Hammer gel, too much Perpetuem, too much HR. I took a couple minutes, ate a little real food and felt a lot better.
    The singletrack was fun and fast. I had a big smile the whole time. Just before breaking out of the trees and climbing to the finish, I locked out the suspension and grabbed the big chain ring. I felt like I had brand new legs as I sprinted up the hill with everybody cheering me on. Not sure about exact time, but it was right about 13 hours.
    I don't care about how I did in the standings. It doesn't matter. What matters is that I finished one of the hardest mountain bike races around.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Easily the hardest thing I've ever done on a bike

But agree with what others said - well-run, super supportive aid stations, and a much more enjoyable course than I expected. The rain had taken down some of the dust, and Redstar Ridge was a little dicey, but fun. The 6 mile singletrack loop out of Dusty Corners (Pucker Point?) was a blast - probably had a little too much fun there, since the subsequent climb over to Mad Cat aid station hurt so much that doubt reared it's ugly head for a bit.

11:01 against a goal of 12 hours. Pretty stoked for my first 100 mile race.

mtbr member

Observations....

It was awesome to see so many faces out there that I recognized...almost made me wish I was riding with you but I really enjoyed doing the aid stations. You may have noticed our church signs at Red Star, Dusty Corners and The Y. We were all stoked to be helping and going the "extra mile" to make sure that when riders left the aid stations they were refreshed, recharged and re-lubed.

I saw all the riders (50 and 100) at Red Star and I could tell that some folks were in a bit over their heads but everyone was in good spirits. Even Roger had a big smile on his face as he pulled out of the race. Hey Roger....you were supposed to wait it out at the aid station You got me in trouble with Jimmy We had one rider go the wrong way at Red Star...even with me shouting every 10 seconds "hundreds to the left, fifties to the right" and the big white numbers and arrows on the ground. Somehow he went right instead of left before being turned back around at The Y. Reports are that he complained at every aid station along the way that we had somehow screwed him. Uh dude....you were the only one of 220 riders to go the wrong way at Red Star.

After the last rider passed Red Star we packed up and headed over to The Y to wait for riders coming back up to mile 74. It was not long before the lead rider arrived with a huge lead over 2nd place. As each rider passed through at the Y the look of pain and agony seemed to increase. We started to get reports from riders coming up the road of other riders laying in the road or puking. We did our best to encourage folks to continue and offer the best aid we could. Most carried on. It was amazing.

Morgan...That beef jerky was awesome and Abe Nitro and I finished it off and washed it down with a PBR.

Nobody took my offer of a cold beer at The Y.

Merlin...you looked awefull !! but it sounds like you had a good race.

Buzz....glad you were not the DFL this year...you looked aweful too

People who do this ride on an SS are out of their freakin minds!

The last rider to come through was 3 minutes off the cutoff time and moving very slow. Abe Nitro got her pumped up to finish the race but she got pulled in a wise decision from those in charge. She would have had a very hard time on that last 20 miles. The cool thing was that she had the best attitude of any of the racers we saw that day. She will be back next year for sure.

So next year i am in like flynn! Seeing the race from this point of view gave me an inderstanding of what this "race" is all about. I will not be racing it next year I will just be "riding" and hoping to make the finish.

Big Kudos to JimmyBoy and GBE for putting this on. The logistics of this race were huge. I have seen the amount of time that Jimmy put into this...with a huge amount of time spent rehabing some remote trails. If you enjoyed this race please email a big thank you to the promoter.

Next years course is going to be off the hook. Don't miss it!

mtbr member

wow

First off, Jimmy and crew. You nailed it again. Awesome day in the mtns, thanks for going the extra mile to put together a very smooth event. Special thanks to all of the tireless volunteers at the stations! You made it really hard to get back on the bike, tho, wooing me with tacos, etc. Madcat- off the hook.

Roger- I feel for you man, you just didn't look right when we chatted prior to race, I was bummed to see you drop to the side so early dealing with your bead, but then so stoked to see you right along side me again so fast. Only to see you start hurting on Lyon ridge at which point I knew you must be really really hurting from your illness, cause I know that's the only reason I could ever ride away. Good decision, and I hope you are feeling better.

Morgan- congrats man. It was an honor to pour you a beer at the finish. And glad I didn't T-bone you on Lyon Ridge trying to trackstand on a loose section

To everyone else I bumped into along the way, way to knock it down. Met some great folks out there!

Happy to get through this pretty clean, no flats this year... around 10:30 ss, I think 5th. Carnitas plate at El Portal hit the spot yesterday back home in Auburn.

Well done to all who came out and gave their all!

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Sounds like an amazing ride, congratulations everyone.

Roger___ sorry to hear about the blow up/ flu.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboulder

Merlin...you looked awefull !! but it sounds like you had a good race.
    LOL, i felt awful & did not even thing you knew who I was. thanks againf or the great job out there!

bicycle rider
    Here's my race report. Yes, it's a leviathan, just like this race. Finishing (reading it) is its own reward.

My ego has been reset. We all need that from time to time. This was my first 100-mile mtn bike race, and I know that it has opened up a yearning to redeem myself. I will definitely do another one.

Chairthruster, I wasn't sure who that guy was, on the IF singlespeed. Now I know you. Nice to meet you, sorry but I was not human either of the times we met, Saturday. Good riding, excellent job on the single speed.

Roger, dude; my condolences. In the long view, when you're very old, you'll see this as a good thing, as a raising of the ante. The missed opportunity will only drive you to a better race next time.

Steve, thanks for the offer of the PBR, the smiles, and being the last familiar face before the best section of the ride; Redstar Ridge.

Madcat; fantastic.

Jimmy, thanks. No, really. I mean it. Honest. Ow.

Morgan

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

That was hard

That was hard...and then it got harder.

Some highlights and lowlights:
    Bottom of the Soda Springs descent some guy goes full OTB, at speed,in a wet section right in front of me and lands in a big muddy puddle. Saw him later so he recovered somewhat.

Passing a bunch of riders on the Lyon climb only to get passed right back after I flatted on the backside...I have got to go tubeless.

Redstar was a tough trail section and then the last 2 miles were ripping.

Went back and forth with Merlin for about 2 hours before he dumped me after Robinson...nice work.

Second time at MadCat, a guy standing next to me says he'll take one of the bacon tacos that smelled so good. He passes me by riding straight through the Robinson station non-stop. I see him 4 miles later laying on the side of the road, ask if he's ok, and all he mumbles is "my stomach".

Survival mode only for the last 25 miles, just couldn't put any power down and there wasn't any more singletrack to amp up on so I limped in. Time of 10:37 - I think 5th in the 40-49.

Big thanks to Jimmy, BB, and all the other aid station volunteers. Great support.
    Romani ite domum

mtbr member
    2nd Place in my age class!

A lot of riders were hung up, fixing mechanicals or crashing on the first rolling trail to Soda Springs Road. I got to think that is going to be a long race, I hope they were mostly 50 riders.

Im lucky that I got passed the start line because a 50 rider late for his start crashed into me as he tried to slalom through all the staged 100 riders. How would you like a pre-race derailleur hanger adjustment?

Red Star Ridge, Pucker Point and another tight downhill were awesome. Im glad that there were a few trails to slow down the roadies.
    I felt like a world champion around Pucker Point, but I was humbled by the painfully steep, tight and loose climb out of Dusty Corners to Mad Cats.
    OMG we had to do those steep pitches of fire road after Mad Cats twice. I thought I was going the wrong way.

This is my second endurance event, which I have found out that I am very sensitive to nutrition. I suspect that I was over-fueled on Perpetuem and a little Gel because I had stomach pains and I was nauseous. I only used 5 out of 10 scoops of Perpetuem that I carried and had in the drop bags. I felt like hot dog poo after Mile 62 Mad Cats to Mile 74 The Y. I sat at the Y for 10 min and got passed a lot. I switched to plain water and Endurolytes and got a second wind for the last rolling fire roads and the climb out of the North Fork Bridge, which I passed 3 people.

The people at the aid stations were awesome at fetching your drop bags, oiling your chain, and filling you with fuel and water. Im glad that they had endurolytes, because I dropped some on the trail and I was eating them like candy after hearing that the 2 Hammer Guys from Montana were taking 6 an hour along with at least two other pills.
    I finished the race out of the saddle, which may have looked like one last push for the finish line, but it was really the fact that my ass had been paddled so much that I could not sit down. It was easier to keep going than stopping because my lungs were stretched out and it took 20 min to stop coughing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    It looks like it was the Tahoe-Sierra 93
    Congrats to all who sacked up. Beasts!

mtbr member

Repost....from another thread.

Here's how the TS100 went for this old bloke...

Another race report coming at all. Buckle up it's going to be a long one. Okay, so after the Boggs 24 Solo in July I quickly changed gears (not literally being a singlespeeder) and started to prepare for the Tahoe Sierra 100. The 3rd race in the Leave No Trace Endurance Series put on by the infamous, Jim Northey. The 2010 version of the TS100 was going to be very similar to '09 with a little more singletrack and mileage. My training plan for this race wasn't much different than training for solo 24's. In any case, last year I missed 1st place by 5 minutes and definitely wanted to stand on the top of the podium this year. The Pro SS field was stacked with talented guys so it was going to be a tall order. Nevertheless, the goal to not only win was on my docket but I also wanted to break the 9 hour mark. Last year I came in at 9:58.

Alright enough fluff. My good friend (Jay Bretz) and I depart Santa Rosa mid morning on Friday. We arrived up at Ice Lakes Lodge on Soda Springs Road with plenty of time to check out the newly added singletrack. With registration and partial pre-ride complete, we headed back to our room. Dinner at Lodge was nothing to write home about so I will leave it at that. We retreated back to our room and I got ready to bed down. I hit the rack at 8:30 knowing that the 5:00 AM wake up call was going to be more than annoying.

Well, the good thing is that I wasn't rudely awakened by the alarm clock. I happened to wake up on my own at 4:45. Jay and I both knew that it was/is critical to get some food on board before a long event like this. Jay had a ham sandwich and I choked down a egg salad sandwich and sweet potato....cold. Don't even ask, that's NOT my typical pre-race meal. Anyway, we made our way outside and the cold just punched me in my face. Frost on the truck! We both started to discuss our clothing options for the race. Although it was chilly 30 something degrees out and most certainly colder down in the valley, we know the temperature was going to hover in the mid to high 70's by the early afternoon. It's a dicey decision, do you dress for the cold then shed and have to carry them for the rest of the race? Or, do you sack up and battle the cold waiting for the sun to heat up? I kind of chose a middle option. I had a wind breaker that I ditched at the bottom of the first climb. Anyway, I'll get to the details now.

6:30 and we were off. The start was pretty fast and everyone felt they needed to be up front. I too wanted to be somewhat near the front just cause I like to start out a little bit fast. Anyway, there was about 2ish miles of mostly flat singletrack that lead to an 6 mile fire-road descent. I settled into my own pace on the descent and actually was able to stay somewhat towards the front. The SS rig is a bit limited when the downhills aren't too steep. Right, so before the start of the first big climb I doffed my jacket and started up. Right at that time I came across a teammate and huge competitor in my class (Jared Franzoia). He was the one that beat me last year. We rode together for a little bit but then I kept my pace and never looked back. I never saw him again.

I blasted through the first aid station and started the 2nd big descent. The bitter wind chill and temperature nearly killed me. My arms and legs were shaking vigorously and both hands were numb. I couldn't wait to start the 2nd big climb. Once to the climb I started picking off racers left and right. It wasn't the plan, I just was doing my thing. I pretty much knew I was leading the SS field. I didn't let it get to my head and this was the same scenario last year and Franzoia caught and passed me at mile 70. The second aid station (miler 23) was much like the first except I grabbed a banana and pbj. The next 13 miles proved to be quite challenging. I crashed on the top of Red Star Ridge but quickly remounted and got back in the grove. I was gauging my pace by the people I was riding with. After coming off of the Ridge I was told I was sitting in 8th overall.

When I made it to mile 39 I knew I had some work ahead of me. I fueled up at the aid station and started the long fire road climb. At about mile 43 I looked back (never look back) and noticed another racer pushing his bike up behind me. That could only mean one thing.....another singlespeeder. I started the 8 mile descent ahead of him and railed it. Unfortunately, so did this other guy. He rolls up and the first thing he says is, Hey, what gearing are you running? Found out I was running an easier gear combination than him. We rode together for about 10 miles or so and I discovered he was from Illinois. Come on, a singlespeeder from Chicago. Are there any hills there? It didn't matter, Dan was riding strong. I was in for a fight for sure. So after we went through another aid station we started a brutal 2 mile climb. The kind of climb that puts the one-speeders on their feet. I quickly dismounted and started the hike while Dan pushed than rode then pushed and rode. He got a gap on me but I wasn't about to do anything crazy like race his race. I knew we had 40ish hard miles to go and I knew the course and he didn't. I let him go.

Once you hit the halfway point in these 100 milers you start to realize that every mile that ticks away means your closer to the finish. Yeah obviously, but it's just a mental thing. Anyway, I started to deal with some slight leg cramps but nothing to stress about. When I got to mile 70 I really wanted to get to the last climb but it was going to be a long 14 miles away. At about 82 miles I noticed off yonder a similar fellow pushing his bike up a steep pitch. Could it be? Yep, it was Dan. It had been over and hour plus since he left me alone pushing my bike. When I caught him he seemed a tad surprised. We both were suffering and at least we were suffering together. We started to chat again but I was sure that like me, was thinking about when to make a move. There was one last steep grind before a fast descent that lead up to the final climb. I didn't really attack him as much as I just rode him off my wheel. I started the downhill about 10 seconds ahead of him. I full throttled the descent leaving nothing back. I killed it. We had one more aid station before the final climb and I blasted through it and hit the climb. The climb started with some rollers which didn't really suit me. I was hoping for a tougher hill which would have been harder for Dan. Nevertheless, I kept a strong tempo up the hill and looked back a few times and never once saw him. The closer I got to the top the closer I felt to victory. Although I knew ANYTHING could happen. And that ANYTHING happened. Dan came out of nowhere and passed me like I was walking on my hands. The only audible thing I hear from him was, I got some coke. I couldn't match his pace but time was running out. We must have been at mile 88. I ramped up my pace but didn't have the gas to catch him. I did manage to close the gap and got within 40 yards. Unfortunately, it was on the last hike-a-bike section and that was that. I rode that last 2 miles in complete shame. No just kidding. I felt great. It was an awesome battle. Dan was the stronger rider and put in a solid effort. I finished the race in 9:31 minutes and secured 2nd place just three minutes behind Dan.

mtbr member
    Great write up and awesome result mike!! That pre race meal sounds horrible!

NedwannaB

Nice job!

Quote Originally Posted by stoom
    Here's how the TS100 went for this old bloke...

I finished the race in 9:31 minutes and secured 2nd place just three minutes behind Dan.
    Fantastic finish Mike.
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    Ripley V4 UpDowncountry rig

mtbr member
    Chairthruster, I wasn't sure who that guy was, on the IF singlespeed. Now I know you. Nice to meet you, sorry but I was not human either of the times we met, Saturday. Good riding, excellent job on the single speed.

Great write up Morgan. For the record you were pretty human/civil during both times we met haha.

BigBoulder- where the heck was my PBR offer!? That could have been the ticket! If you are who I think you are, thanks a ton for another very well run up beat aid station.

Matt

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Steve so sorry about that...

my intention was to be a non burden on you and the support folks...sorry again....especially since I'm sure one of the trucks I saw coming out was for me!

And Matt....it was good for the short while why it lasted. Congrats on a beauty of a bike!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fourarm
    That was hard...and then it got harder.

Some highlights and lowlights:
    Bottom of the Soda Springs descent some guy goes full OTB, at speed,in a wet section right in front of me and lands in a big muddy puddle. Saw him later so he recovered somewhat.

Passing a bunch of riders on the Lyon climb only to get passed right back after I flatted on the backside...I have got to go tubeless.

Redstar was a tough trail section and then the last 2 miles were ripping.

Went back and forth with Merlin for about 2 hours before he dumped me after Robinson...nice work.

Second time at MadCat, a guy standing next to me says he'll take one of the bacon tacos that smelled so good. He passes me by riding straight through the Robinson station non-stop. I see him 4 miles later laying on the side of the road, ask if he's ok, and all he mumbles is "my stomach".

Survival mode only for the last 25 miles, just couldn't put any power down and there wasn't any more singletrack to amp up on so I limped in. Time of 10:37 - I think 5th in the 40-49.

Big thanks to Jimmy, BB, and all the other aid station volunteers. Great support.
    Nice job Paul! I was not trying to drop U , I just wanted to be done!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboulder
    It was awesome to see so many faces out there that I recognized...almost made me wish I was riding with you but I really enjoyed doing the aid stations. You may have noticed our church signs at Red Star, Dusty Corners and The Y. We were all stoked to be helping and going the "extra mile" to make sure that when riders left the aid stations they were refreshed, recharged and re-lubed.
    Next years course is going to be off the hook. Don't miss it!

Steve,
    Thanks so much for your help, it doesn't get done without people like you. Thanks to all the other course workers as well, if my math is close, I think there was 1 volunteer for every 3 racers

mtbr member
    Here's my race report. Yes, it's a leviathan, just like this race. Finishing (reading it) is its own reward.

Morgan
    what a great write up Morgan! Great job, the punch drunk feeling and the anger at the end of the race were all the same things I felt...What a day. I'm just starting to feel normal

Rick

bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin
    what a great write up Morgan! Great job, the punch drunk feeling and the anger at the end of the race were all the same things I felt...What a day. I'm just starting to feel normal

Rick
    Thanks. I wish I could ride as fast as you, Rick.

Morgan

Members who have read this thread: 0