Tahoe Riding - unexpected cold weather next week- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Tahoe Riding - unexpected cold weather next week

My friends and I were all set to ride Tahoe next week Saturday 9/28 thru Wednesday, but now the forecast is showing high temps in the low 40's and possible snow/rain Saturday and Sunday. We ride Toads, Star Lake, Flume, Tyrolean, Corral.

We are thinking to call an audible due to the weather. I've never ridden Tahoe in those conditions, anyone have thoughts on how it would be? Potentially miserable? Or no big deal with layers?

Up for consideration are the options of postponing the Tahoe trip til October 19, or going to Sedona instead on October 19.

Thanks for any thoughts!

mtbr member
    There should be nothing unexpected about the aforementioned in the Sierras, in the fall. Those are real mountains you're playing with. You're not in Kansas anymore. Layers aren't the issue, it's the unpredictable and sudden changes that can will and do occur.

You could easily get up there to have everything covered by snow. Or prefect velcro brown pow. If it looks questionable why not postpone and have Sedona as a back up?
    Velofix.com for mobile bike repair in Sac

mtbr member
    There is plenty of good, lower altitude riding in Truckee. Honestly, I'm jealous of these conditions, as long as it's not dumping rain/snow.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Forecast could improve or worsen in that amount of time.

I backpacked in the Yosemite a few years ago in mid Sept. There was a 20% chance of snow flurries at 9,000 feet. Ended up with 1 foot of snow at our campsite.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Those conditions will create some hero dirt! Itíll be way better than the usual Tahoe moon dust and sand. Keep an eye on the forecast and have some lower elevation options that you can ride. Layer up, bring extra gloves and stash some warm, dry clothes in the car. Itíll be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Thicker-than-usual socks and wind-resistant gloves will be your friend.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have biked in Tahoe in rain and snow. It's fun. Just have the layers.

I went last year and it was 24 degrees when I started (bone dry but super cold)

mtbr member
    We were just up there last week and were doing Tahoe Rim Trail from Mt. Rose down to Chimney Creek. The forecast called for rain, but we ended up getting 2Ē-3Ē of snow with 40 mph wind gusts. We ended up aborting and heading straight to Spooner Lake and called the shuttle company to come pick us up. We were all pretty frozen at that point as we werenít expecting it to snow. We all just had a light rain shell on.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Quote Originally Posted by Dopaminer_09 View Post
    My friends and I were all set to ride Tahoe next week Saturday 9/28 thru Wednesday
    ugh, I'm going 29th thru 2nd. might be my last window to get up there. crossing my fingers.

edit: just cancelled my reservation. I'm on a tight schedule and can't gamble.

Caca pasa
    Quote Originally Posted by socaltrailrider View Post
    We were just up there last week and were doing Tahoe Rim Trail from Mt. Rose down to Chimney Creek. The forecast called for rain, but we ended up getting 2Ē-3Ē of snow with 40 mph wind gusts. We ended up aborting and heading straight to Spooner Lake and called the shuttle company to come pick us up. We were all pretty frozen at that point as we werenít expecting it to snow. We all just had a light rain shell on.
    Yikes! 😗
    "합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

mtbr member
    Yesterday morning at 7:30am we started riding and could see our breath, but were taking jackets off in 30min. Corral/Toads is all north facing so sun wont do much. Find a south facing trail aka ride truckee. Best time to ride tahoe is right now. Dress right, have the proper emergency gear and enjoy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The high temps for next weekend and early next week are 20 degrees lower than today's forecast high, plus precipitation... It's seeming sketchy...

Quote Originally Posted by paintballeerXC View Post
    Yesterday morning at 7:30am we started riding and could see our breath, but were taking jackets off in 30min. Corral/Toads is all north facing so sun wont do much. Find a south facing trail aka ride truckee. Best time to ride tahoe is right now. Dress right, have the proper emergency gear and enjoy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Truckee and N* had fantastic dirt this weekend on account of last week's snow/rain, and will likely be even better if we get some more precipitation. But it was 40-70 degrees in Truckee over the last few days, and is supposed to be 20-40 with snow and rain next weekend. For me that wouldn't be fun at all.

If it's even the slightest option, pivot and go to Moab. It's rare for conditions to be as good as they are now. It's warm but not too hot in town (low 80s) and they are still running the Whole Enchilada all the way from Burro Pass. Between that, Mag 7/Portal, and Captain Ahab trails, you'll have a helluva weekend of biking.

You can fly direct to SLC and drive 4 hrs to Moab (~$250 flight for your dates), or take a connecting flight to CNY in Moab (~$400). I guess driving is an option to (15 hours)

mtbr member
    Looking at the forecast as of today Iíd make alternate plans

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I just cancelled our accommodations for this weekend's trip and re-booked for Oct 19-23. Hopefully we just get average Tahoe weather for those days, and that would be just awesome.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    I was there last fri-sat-sun. Beautiful conditions for sure. Packed dirt everywhere and black dirt under the trees.

I'd wait for these upcoming storms to clear and get there the day/week after. Hope it delivers.
    IPA will save America

Short-Change-Hero
    Yup, looking at the wind and temps there is a storm system blowing through. Best is to wait until Oct but then you will be dealing with the cold(er) temps regardless. This is pretty normal for Tahoe this time of year, maybe a little cooler than normal but still pretty normal. This is when we start getting the late week storms that will roll through and we pray that they fizzle on the weekend a bit but have dropped enough precipitation to make for some great brown pow (at least down here in Carson).

Actually there is nothing quite like riding this time of year as long as you plan for just about everything. Medium weight rain shell is awesome, wind resistant gloves, few layers and dry clothes in the car, you should be good to go. Also give yourself another hour or two buffer as you could easily get nailed by a storm and be waiting under the tree line for a while for the downpour to give you an opening.

Rode Truckee this weekend. Friday temps were cool enough that I had a base layer on up top, was a bit chilly in the shade but otherwise very nice. This was at 11am. Once I started moving downhill(ish) I caught a chill for a few then dried out (sweat) and was good the entire way down. Worked hard enough that by the time I hit the bottom I was drenched in sweat again but not cold.
    Then rode Saturday, was on the trail and moving by 10am with same getup but by the time we hit the top of our climb I ended up stripping the base layer off completely as I was roasting! Was perfect the rest of the ride down.

mtbr member
    Thatís more likely a safer bet, a storm like this one where we are on the southern edge is hard to predict, we could get hammered or get very little and probably will not know till itís close to being on top of us.

Formerly dvo
    Ready to roll the dice for South Lake Saturday and down to Sly Park Sunday if the forecasts holds. Ready to adjust as needed.
    I'm the problem....

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbrdan View Post
    Ready to roll the dice for South Lake Saturday and down to Sly Park Sunday if the forecasts holds. Ready to adjust as needed.
    Looks like you might get lucky. Storm seems to be pushing more into next week. Still showing rain/snow on Saturday with low temps but on Monday it was showing that hitting on Thursday/Friday this week. Just keep an eye on things until the night before. Temps are dropping here at night (Carson) but afternoons has been pretty quiet wind-wise which usually means a storm set is coming through (calm before the storm).

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Hit Toads loop on Saturday and it was amazing...chilly and windy but nice. Tryin to get out to armstrong>corral Sunday weather permitting....watching patiently. Downieville yesterday and crazy that it was almost 90 and 3 days later it'll be so much cooler.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Seconded that Toad's was incredible on Saturday!

An inch of snow on the ground (roads were all melted, earth & wooden decks were not) on Sunday morning.

Rode Northstar on Sunday for the last lift day of the year and it was muddy awesomeness!

mtbr member
    Sunday at northstar. Yum

mtbr member
    Riding was great Saturday in south lake then the weather started moving in about 3. Sunday I did an early morning Fat bike lap in the snow on Angora Ridge, followed by perfect conditions on corral in the afternoon. Sunday nights storm has shut down a good bit of the high country for a bit, but looks like high pressure is setting in, so hopefully it will open back up before to long.

Yesterday
    Tahoe Riding - unexpected cold weather next week-71111282_3176987472374101_4025891232742899712_o.jpg

Tahoe Riding - unexpected cold weather next week-71203049_3176992382373610_2228290588636086272_o.jpg

Tahoe Riding - unexpected cold weather next week-71341843_3176992369040278_675412830253481984_o.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post

Yesterday
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	71111282_3176987472374101_4025891232742899712_o.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	300.0 KB 
ID:	1283487

Name:	71203049_3176992382373610_2228290588636086272_o.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	265.2 KB 
ID:	1283489

Name:	71341843_3176992369040278_675412830253481984_o.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	279.5 KB 
ID:	1283491
    F'ing yeah.

NedwannaB
    Thought that was Tahoe Mtn you were riding. Trails looked pretty cool with the white stuff!
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    That was mule deer connector down from Angora lookout

NedwannaB
    👍
    Rode with your pals Ron and Melinda couple months ago and got a tour up on Hough!

mtbr member

Sweet, there on week 4 or something like that in Italy riding, images coming back from them are jaw dropping

Armstrong bridge got finished a few days ago, snow still shutting down getting all the up to the pass but you can ride about 30 minutes up.

mtbr member
    Sweet, there on week 4 or something like that in Italy riding, images coming back from them are jaw dropping

Armstrong bridge got finished a few days ago, snow still shutting down getting all the up to the pass but you can ride about 30 minutes up.

Do you think Toads will be rideable by Sunday? Iím fine with snow and ice, just not sure how much they got up top.
    Thanks,

mtbr member

Hard to say, there will definitely be snow, how tolerable it will be Iím not sure, cold days, another morning at 22 degrees in town today and the sun angle getting lower every day means snow will linger on the north aspects. Great riding is below 8300 right now. Personally Iím headed further south to ride Friday though Sunday guessing things will be getting good up high by the time I return, after more melting and weekenders grooming it out.

mtbr member

Did Luther to Scotts and Xmas valley today, a little snow here and there, great conditions I bet by Sunday toads will go from at least starting from grass lake if not Armstrong. Even if toads and Freel donít go it will be worth riding the lower elevation stuff, so good!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    What elevation is the snow line?

NedwannaB

Did Luther to Scotts and Xmas valley today, a little snow here and there, great conditions I bet by Sunday toads will go from at least starting from grass lake if not Armstrong. Even if toads and Freel donít go it will be worth riding the lower elevation stuff, so good!

"MTBR needs a like button!" Well at least NorCal Forum should have one.

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeRocco View Post
    What elevation is the snow line?
    Think someone said that snow line is about 8k'.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    In North Lake, there is some snow (~2 inches) above 7600', but did not present any problems even at 8600'. Not crusty or deep or challenging. Should be melted by Saturday. Trails are in excellent shape.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

That's such a great route, especially this time of the year. I always think it's going to be freezing at Luther Pass, but it's toasty if the sun is out.

Are the aspens starting to turn yet?
    Ride fast. Huck bravely. Waste no beer. Safety third.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I went up Armstrong Pass today and there were a few thin snowy sections that people had already ridden through but only like 100 yards total and nothing that would stop you from getting to the top. I'm going to try Toads Saturday I can post here after I'm done.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Tahoe Riding - unexpected cold weather next week-donner_rim_trail_10_3_2019.jpg

Great conditions today at the Donner Lake Rim Trail

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeRocco View Post

Name:	Donner_Rim_Trail_10_3_2019.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	200.2 KB 
ID:	1284255

Great conditions today at the Donner Lake Rim Trail
    #likebutton