Tahoe rides recently?

Printable View

• 06-05-2004
    dirtybshifter
    Tahoe rides recently?
    I was thinking of heading up next weekend. I was wondering if anyone has ridden Toads or TRT/Flume recently and I was wondering how the trails were. I went up to Bear Valley last week and it was pretty much hike-a-bike from all the downed trees and snow run-off on some of the higher trails near Alpine. But I'm sure in a few more weeks they should be good to go.
  • 06-05-2004
    Wherewolf
    Best source
    See: http://www.theflumetrail.com
    I believe the Flume Trail is open and it says on that website: "Mt. Rose shuttle possibly June 18." So that would indicate the TRT will probably not be open next weekend, at least from Mt. Rose.

Why not join the TROGS and do the Cannell Trail and Plunge on the 12th? See: http://trogspace.com/plunge/plunge.htm
  • 06-05-2004
    TruckeeLocal
    Northstar
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wherewolf
    See: http://www.theflumetrail.com
    I believe the Flume Trail is open and it says on that website: "Mt. Rose shuttle possibly June 18." So that would indicate the TRT will probably not be open next weekend, at least from Mt. Rose.

Why not join the TROGS and do the Cannell Trail and Plunge on the 12th? See: http://trogspace.com/plunge/plunge.htm

Northstar plans on starting the lifts on June 11th. And I'm been up there on the 06 behind N* and there's next to no snow around although the road to Watson Lake is closed due to snow. Hole in the Ground is still snowed in so I guess Toads is too.
  • 06-05-2004
    Melt
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TruckeeLocal
    Northstar plans on starting the lifts on June 11th. And I'm been up there on the 06 behind N* and there's next to no snow around although the road to Watson Lake is closed due to snow. Hole in the Ground is still snowed in so I guess Toads is too.

w00t ... im so calling in sick to work and heading up there the week after.
  • 06-06-2004
    JustScott
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TruckeeLocal

Hey there TL - do you have some local inside info? Is that a confirmed opening date? Their website still says 6/18... I just got a new Demo 9 so the sooner I can get up there the better!!

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Scott
  • 06-07-2004
    TruckeeLocal
    Northstar Opening
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JustScott
    Hey there TL - do you have some local inside info? Is that a confirmed opening date? Their website still says 6/18... I just got a new Demo 9 so the sooner I can get up there the better!!

Scott

Ah #$%^(@ ! My info was inside info from a neighbor. But they work in a department unrelated to the MTB park. Who knows ! There hasn't been any publicity that I've seen. I'll look at the sign by the river when I'm out and about and post anything definitive from that. But I can tell you that I was at The Village last week and it's a mess. The building that housed the rental/retail store is gone. The whole damn building, including the bar and decks :(
  • 06-07-2004
    MVRIDER
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JustScott

Scott

It's the 18th, but Downieville is open in full force! That would probably be a pretty decent break in ride. There's some event with Wade Simmons going on at N* the weekend of the 12th, but I don't know if it's really open to the public or not. http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87031
  • 06-07-2004
    tahoeyeti
    Northstar Opening Date
    I will be working at Northstar this summer, and they will actually be opening for biking on the 18th of June, not the 11th.
  • 06-07-2004
    Trail Punk
    Village mess
    Is N* moving the retail/rental shop back to the new condo building at the foot of the MTB lift?
  • 06-08-2004
    J_B
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MVRIDER
    It's the 18th, but Downieville is open in full force! That would probably be a pretty decent break in ride. There's some event with Wade Simmons going on at N* the weekend of the 12th, but I don't know if it's really open to the public or not. http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87031

I was at River Rat Bikes in Sacramento this weekend and was told that Wade Simmons would be there this Friday 6/11 from 12pm to 3pm signing autographs.
  • 06-08-2004
    Robski
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtybshifter
    I was thinking of heading up next weekend. I was wondering if anyone has ridden Toads or TRT/Flume recently and I was wondering how the trails were. I went up to Bear Valley last week and it was pretty much hike-a-bike from all the downed trees and snow run-off on some of the higher trails near Alpine. But I'm sure in a few more weeks they should be good to go.

Did Toads this last Saturday and the TRT(KingsburyGrade to Spooner) on Sunday. Both were in great shape.
  • 06-08-2004
    TruckeeLocal
    And I just saw someone on Hole in the Ground
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Robski
    Did Toads this last Saturday and the TRT(KingsburyGrade to Spooner) on Sunday. Both were in great shape.

I went up to Castle Peak today (walking with the dogs). Some guy came by muttering gibberish about snow on the trail. He didn't seem too happy. So it looks like Hole in the Ground is semi-open.
  • 06-08-2004
    Trail Punk
    Hole in the Ground
    Although a post-holer might disagree, The Hole wasn't 98% rideable last year until after July 4. This year, it might be two weeks later. Hope I'm wrong. Too much f'in snow.
  • 06-09-2004
    TruckeeLocal
    Snow's going quicker this year
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Trail Punk
    Although a post-holer might disagree, The Hole wasn't 98% rideable last year until after July 4. This year, it might be two weeks later. Hope I'm wrong. Too much f'in snow.

My estimate is that we're a couple of weeks ahead of last year with regard to snow melt this year. Having said that it was snowing when I got up this morning :confused:
  • 06-09-2004
    Trail Punk
    Global warming
    This global warming thing is not meeting my expectations. Maybe I'll go buy an Excursion, and drive it non-stop, just to pump out some more greenhouse gases. Gotta warm things up so I can ride above 5000'.
  • 06-09-2004
    TruckeeLocal
    Sun's out now
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Trail Punk
    This global warming thing is not meeting my expectations. Maybe I'll go buy an Excursion, and drive it non-stop, just to pump out some more greenhouse gases. Gotta warm things up so I can ride above 5000'.

To continue the real-time weather observations the sun is now out to assist you in your efforts to adjust climatic conditions to allow for a longer mountain bike season at higher elevations. But now rain is expected within a couple of hours :mad:
  • 06-09-2004
    bigboulder
    Htig
    We rode HTIG a couple years back on the 4th of July…that year had below average snowfall….we still ran into several large snowdrifts down in "the hole" we were almost unable to find trail at one point. Don't let the elevation fool ya….even when the TRT is clear at over 8000ft HTIG can still be unridable at the sections below 7000. I learned my lesson....I don't even consider HTIG until after mid July.