Tahoe Meadows-TRT-Marlet-Flume_TRT-Meadows- Mtbr.com
    Proud lame eBiker

Tahoe Meadows-TRT-Marlet-Flume_TRT-Meadows

Rounded up a few people and hit the above mentioned loop this past monday. Jim and Cathy Hagen-Smit on the tandem and Troy from Truckee on the Titus...and that's my blue El Saltamontes..no pictures of me...
    I'll let the pictures do the talking...but I'll say I was plenty tuckered out by the end.

1: Another cogset folds under the imense power of the tandem...on teh first climb of the day.
    2: Tandem rolling along with an always happy stoker.
    3: Just had to stop for the first veiw of Carson Valley Res.
    4: Troy taking in the veiw...
    5: ....the veiw.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Proud lame eBiker
    and a few more pictures.

1: Troy going down the staircase cleanly.
    2: Troy coming up...four tries...no pass...next time Troy!
    3: One of my favorite overlooks with Marlet and Tahoe.
    4: Same veiw.

Feb 2006
    very nice pics, I haven't seen Jim and Kathy in awhile,looks like they are doing well !

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerkk
    very nice pics, I haven't seen Jim and Kathy in awhile,looks like they are doing well !
    Does Jim post or lurk here? Up until three weeks ago, our cubes faced each other at work. I realized last week that I still had two Travel Agent doohikeys that he lent me years ago.

Proud lame eBiker
    Yeah Jim and Kathy are both retired now...there's no hope for anyone of us being able to hold their wheel now that they have that much more time to ride! Yikes!

I don't think Jim posts up often...but he did mention that he was thining about stopping by and seeing what's happening on MTBR since he hadn't been on in a while. I have no idea if he's registered or not.

I doubt that Jim cares much about those three year old travel agents...but I don't speak for him in any way.

He should be easy to track down through an email. He's on the FATRAC, BONC, YUM, and IMBA news listserves, so throw an email out to one of those advocacy groups and I'm sure he'll get it. If you want an email contact me offlist, I should be able to assist you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    nice, i've done that ride a couple of times, really miss it right about now...amazing you tried to ascend the staircase, must be lots of hopping involved.

Proud lame eBiker
    more like ramming it with a good head of steam and hoping for the best!

mtbr member
    nice pix! I did that ride yesterday, one of my all time favorites. One of my friends tried to ride up the staircase, got 3/4 of the way. I'm sure some freak has cleaned it, anyone witness this super mortal feet?
    Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

Proud lame eBiker
    It's so nice up there right now. Not too hot...nice long days with the sun riding high. Good time for longer rides.
    Yeh, I'm sure someone has cleared the staircase going up...not that I've witnessed though!

mtbr member
    great to see jim and cathy up in dues' country; only place to go and want to go during the dog days of summer.
    ready to hit beyer's lake loop here in a week, takers?

Spin-stabilized

How do you like the Contis...

...on your El Salt? I ran a Gravity in front for the first time at D'ville and love it. Awesome cornering and off-camber grip. A little too much braking traction than I was perpared for at first but I've adjusted now. With that, I'm sold on Continental's tread pattern and want a fast rolling version as a rear tire. Some say the verticals are like the gravitys but only better. What do you recommend? Do you stock them? I got the Gravity from a bargain bin, it's wirebead. No one seems to carry them where I live.

What rear tire are you running? Is that a Survival? I had one of those on my first mtb and was not impressed. Of course I was mostly riding mossy babyheads then in a tropical rainforest.

Nice ride report btw.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

I can't hide forever, and tail of woe on the South Yuba

Great ride on the TRT with Myke and Troy. Too bad we had bike problems had had to limp the tandem all the way over to Spooner lake to get a new set of cogs, but that is just an excuse to go back and ride it again. Retirement so far is excellent - nice to be able to see Myke's post about wanting to ride TRT on a Monday and to be able to just do it! Will try to attach a couple pics. Speaking of which, I lost my camera in a fall off the South Yuba trail on last Sunday's FATRAC ride. Despite a 25 foot fall, Cathy & I managed to drag the tandem back up onto the trail, taped the worst of the gashes, and limped back out. I suspect it is lost forever, but if anyone wants, I can email the GPS location of the crash and the camera (if it didn't go into the water). We were between Washington and Missouri Bar.

We hope to head back to Tahoe next Monday and Tuesday for Stanford Rock and Tahoe Meadows to Marlette again.

mtbr member

Jeeeez

Quote Originally Posted by tandemJim
    Great ride on the TRT with Myke and Troy. Too bad we had bike problems had had to limp the tandem all the way over to Spooner lake to get a new set of cogs, but that is just an excuse to go back and ride it again. Retirement so far is excellent - nice to be able to see Myke's post about wanting to ride TRT on a Monday and to be able to just do it! Will try to attach a couple pics. Speaking of which, I lost my camera in a fall off the South Yuba trail on last Sunday's FATRAC ride. Despite a 25 foot fall, Cathy & I managed to drag the tandem back up onto the trail, taped the worst of the gashes, and limped back out. I suspect it is lost forever, but if anyone wants, I can email the GPS location of the crash and the camera (if it didn't go into the water). We were between Washington and Missouri Bar.

We hope to head back to Tahoe next Monday and Tuesday for Stanford Rock and Tahoe Meadows to Marlette again.
    Dang Jim! That is not a good place to fall. I still can't see how you two can negotiate that thing on the switchbacks between washington and M bar. Hope you two are all healed up. See you out on the trails some time.

Steve
    :p

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

A few pictures

More of Troy on the stairs

Proud lame eBiker
    Running the Explorer 2.1 in teh rear...and the Verticle 2.3 up front.
    Awesoem combination for all around riding from hardpack foothills riding to pumicy tahoe stuff.
    I used the gravity for a long time...but wanted somethign a bit faster and lighter for my racing Wed. nights I've been doing all summer.

And yes, I carry all the UST folding Conti tyres in my shop...I'm a believer!

Quote Originally Posted by bailout
    ...on your El Salt? I ran a Gravity in front for the first time at D'ville and love it. Awesome cornering and off-camber grip. A little too much braking traction than I was perpared for at first but I've adjusted now. With that, I'm sold on Continental's tread pattern and want a fast rolling version as a rear tire. Some say the verticals are like the gravitys but only better. What do you recommend? Do you stock them? I got the Gravity from a bargain bin, it's wirebead. No one seems to carry them where I live.

What rear tire are you running? Is that a Survival? I had one of those on my first mtb and was not impressed. Of course I was mostly riding mossy babyheads then in a tropical rainforest.

Nice ride report btw.

Members who have read this thread: 0