Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Taco envy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    I don't frick'n know man. I may have to get in there? What are the best pads? Pedal effort is pretty high.

Maybe need to bleed it or change fluids? Can i get some XTR's?

I don't need them awesome. Just don't want to have to plan 3 days in advance to stop.
    The brakes on my Double Cab are decent. Obviously, jumping from the WRX (or any lighter car for that matter) to the truck will be a little different at first but it should not be crazy different (like it would be if you're going from cantilevers to Saints). Get it checked out anyway since it's a new to you truck to make sure everything is in order. I'm a little different than most in that I kept my truck stock (primarily because once you go down the path of upgrading, then it will use up funds for upgrading the bikes). The only thing I've had to replace on it are the batteries a couple of times and tires.

Track Junkie
    I don't frick'n know man. I may have to get in there? What are the best pads? Pedal effort is pretty high.

I don't need them awesome. Just don't want to have to plan 3 days in advance to stop.
    Tacoma brakes can be difficult to balance out. Toyota brakes (in general) don't offer good pedal feel or feedback.

We did the brakes on the Tacoma when we replaced the leaf springs. Used Centric rotors (blanks) for the front, with EBC "Greenstuff" pads. Pulled the rear drums and cleaned out the rear brake assembly. Painted rear drums with high-temp black paint. Adjusted the rear brakes, then pressure-bled the entire system with Castrol LMA fluid. Of course, it was all followed with a good bedding-in procedure.

Brakes feel much better now (for a Toyota). They grip and grab with more confidence and less pedal travel. Haven't loaded up the truck yet/towed anything with this brake setup, but I don't have any reason to believe it wouldn't work better than the original setup.
    I get paid to ride shotgun.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Damn. So torn looking at this thread. I just got an 07 4runner to *theoretically* replace my 2000 2.7 4x4 manual with 269K. Needed something with the recent kid addition that was more convenient and i'm having a real hard time justifying our family having 3 cars so the Taco probably has to go. Kinda rough since in the past 4 years I have done a fair bit to it under the assumption I would just keep it until it died. Fox coil overs and dampers, new leaf springs, pads and rotors, and more. Part of my says sell while I can still get the taco tax...but the other part says keep it and keep the miles on the 4runner low. Would hate to keep it only to have some major repair needs come up....which is my main concern. I also would not mind the ~$8K in pocket. So. Much. Confused.

mtbr member

fc - I know that others have mentioned it in this thread but do yourself a favor and go intro yourself on tacomaworld.com You'll find ALL of the correct info you're going to need to repair or upgrade your Taco From the simplest repair to major upgrades. Plus local forums for wheeling outings, meets, garage days etc. Lot's of very helpful folks over there. Many of them are local as well

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jochribs View Post
    Taco's generally have pretty powerful brakes in my experience. The calipers are pretty big in relation to the size of the truck. Not to mention that the rear drums need to be set up properly.

Probably not a bad idea to give a look see at the four corners and see what condition everything is in. The discs up front are simple. Drums can be a little tricky at first, but once you figure them out, it's really actually quite easy to dial them in. It might not be a bad idea to give your brake system a full bleed too.

I myself have always used the Toyota stuff. Nothing other than genuine goes on my trucks unless it has to do with my lifts. Stainless brakeline extensions aren't a bad idea though.
    ^THIS. Well, that and it's a truck, not a tiny XUV.

You're gonna find that the "self-adjusting rear shoes" are like almost all other self-adjusted star-tipped adjusters, they are only somewhat reasonable. It's part of factory service on all Toyota Trucks/SUV's, every oil change you are to inspect and adjust the star nut to set the proper pre-load on the pads accounting for wear.

So, say on my 2nd Gen 4Runner, I'd pull the e-brake 3-5 clicks out, and from there adjust the star nut's until I just started to feel resistance. From there, release the e-brake and at 10-13 clicks of pull the ebrakes were fully adjusted.

Now, you're asking me what the hell this has to do with stopping characteristics, right?

It all comes down to the rear being properly setup and maintained, and having the rear assemblies setup properly, in this fashion, is how it's done.

This is an easy 20 minute show-you to 1 hour (reset and re-adjust) procedure. While I'm no longer at a Toyota Dealership or Corporate, working as a Field Tech (T-Ten Master), I'd be happy to have you swing by my part of town and show you how this is done, if you have nobody there to show you the steps. It's something you should know, and honestly it's something I see too many people unaware of and when they get oil changes it gets skipped.

No beer needed. Let me know via pm.

**jochribs, consider this a +1/x's100 for your point on using factory rotors/drums/pads. I see way too many people pushing the idea of Hawk/Akebono/Brembo, nine times out of 10 it's the proper setup and parts that make the difference, and I've yet to see a (factory) Toyota Truck stopping setup for a still factory truck perform better. That's just opinion and experience though.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    By the way
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Taco envy-img_0047.jpg  

Taco envy-img_0006.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

Stand-up philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    If you're not into hardcore offroading, and don't need to haul heavy loads, the Honda is the best of the bunch.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    I had a ridgeline for 4 years before I got my taco. It has a higher payload than the taco.
    --
    stephen

no one can appreciate the poor misunderstood

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Obi View Post

You're gonna find that the "self-adjusting rear shoes" are like almost all other self-adjusted star-tipped adjusters, they are only somewhat reasonable. It's part of factory service on all Toyota Trucks/SUV's, every oil change you are to inspect and adjust the star nut to set the proper pre-load on the pads accounting for wear.

So, say on my 2nd Gen 4Runner, I'd pull the e-brake 3-5 clicks out, and from there adjust the star nut's until I just started to feel resistance. From there, release the e-brake and at 10-13 clicks of pull the ebrakes were fully adjusted.

Now, you're asking me what the hell this has to do with stopping characteristics, right?

It all comes down to the rear being properly setup and maintained, and having the rear assemblies setup properly, in this fashion, is how it's done.

This is an easy 20 minute show-you to 1 hour (reset and re-adjust) procedure. While I'm no longer at a Toyota Dealership or Corporate, working as a Field Tech (T-Ten Master), I'd be happy to have you swing by my part of town and show you how this is done, if you have nobody there to show you the steps. It's something you should know, and honestly it's something I see too many people unaware of and when they get oil changes it gets skipped.

**jochribs, consider this a +1/x's100 for your point on using factory rotors/drums/pads. I see way too many people pushing the idea of Hawk/Akebono/Brembo, nine times out of 10 it's the proper setup and parts that make the difference, and I've yet to see a (factory) Toyota Truck stopping setup for a still factory truck perform better. That's just opinion and experience though.
    Oh thanks Obi, and absolutely man! And awesome that you explained that the e-brake adjusts the rear shoes! I forgot to mention that. Having the e-brake cable/bell crank arms adjusted properly is part of the brake adjustment.

In terms of the brakes power on these Tacomas, 4Runners, and even Tundras ...I'll put it this way...In 2007 I moved from PA to Nevada City, Ca. With my '99 Taco, which had I4 2.7, I hauled a 6x12 Wells Cargo box trailer which didn't have brakes, overloaded, and good old Ezmarelda (my trucks name, lol!) had zero problems controlling that load in the least. I did have custom made Alcan progressive leaf springs on her, and I'm sure they helped control sway...which was non existent with them on there. The brakes worked impeccably. In 2008, I did the same thing to go back to PA. (What a mistake coming back here was.)

I just recently added a 2004 3.4 Taco to the bunch. I'm slowly getting this one set up right. I LOVE the first gens. I've never had easier vehicles to work on either.

Thanks for the thumbs up Obi!

mtbr member

Great info if you have a 4Runner or any passenger vehicle that doesn't have a load sensing, brake proportioning valve.

Taco's are trucks. Designed for hauling loads and use a lot less rear brake until the RBPV senses a load in the bed. You'll find Tacoma's with 200K on the original rear liners for this reason. Not to say that you should neglect rear brake maintenance but the rears have very little to do with the unladen stopping power of these trucks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    i hate DRUM BRAKES. i have a fist-full of drum brake tools i never use. why? i just take it in for rear brake work. i hate the job. i cant stand that cloud of black cancerous dust that coats everything. even sweeping up afterwards makes me feel like i'm daring cancer to take hold in my lungs.

my 2006 stops fine. the brake pedal feel is damn embarrassing. it is soft and offers little feedback. if i come straight from my work truck, i have to recalibrate my mind so i can push it a little bit harder..going to my work truck, my first step will spill your coffee. i take my truck hunting into some scary stuff, so i know i can trust my brakes. my tacoma shop in Concord told me they all feel like that. at 115k miles i have done the rear brakes once. had the shop do it. they were not that worn, but i think my drums got wonky.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    i dont like braided lines for a street rig. you cant inspect them visually.

if your lifted it helps to get longer brake lines tho. and do that rear diff mod if you forsee any water crossings.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee29 View Post
    Great info if you have a 4Runner or any passenger vehicle that doesn't have a load sensing, brake proportioning valve.

Taco's are trucks. Designed for hauling loads and use a lot less rear brake until the RBPV senses a load in the bed. You'll find Tacoma's with 200K on the original rear liners for this reason. Not to say that you should neglect rear brake maintenance but the rears have very little to do with the unladen stopping power of these trucks.
    For clarity, it isn't always the LSPV at fault, it's the ineffective star nut adjusters that are pure crap. It's why it needs adjusting every oil change. (Basically Load Sensing Proportioning Valve)

Additionally, if/when you put on a lift you need to make sure to either adjust the line pressure on the LSPV/RBPV or (like I did) install a riser plate to bring the unit/ back to where it gives proper pressure. (Adjusting the leverage ratio of the rod to the valve doesn't always get you there.)
    Last edited by Obi; 10-27-2016 at 02:43 PM.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomchakabowwow View Post
    i hate DRUM BRAKES. i have a fist-full of drum brake tools i never use. why? i just take it in for rear brake work. i hate the job. i cant stand that cloud of black cancerous dust that coats everything. even sweeping up afterwards makes me feel like i'm daring cancer to take hold in my lungs.

my 2006 stops fine. the brake pedal feel is damn embarrassing. it is soft and offers little feedback. if i come straight from my work truck, i have to recalibrate my mind so i can push it a little bit harder..going to my work truck, my first step will spill your coffee. i take my truck hunting into some scary stuff, so i know i can trust my brakes. my tacoma shop in Concord told me they all feel like that. at 115k miles i have done the rear brakes once. had the shop do it. they were not that worn, but i think my drums got wonky.
    Thanks for the feedback. That's what I'm experiencing with the truck empty.

Good to know that it won't deteriorate too bad when I fully load it with people and gear since the truck will use more rear brake.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Thanks for the feedback. That's what I'm experiencing with the truck empty.

Good to know that it won't deteriorate too bad when I fully load it with people and gear since the truck will use more rear brake.

I'm on Tacomaworld.com now btw. Say 'hi'.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    For clarity, it isn't always the LSPV at fault, it's the ineffective star nut adjusters that are pure crap. It's why it needs adjusting every oil change. (Basically Load Sensing Proportioning Valve)

Additionally, if/when you put on a lift you need to make sure to either adjust the line pressure on the LSPV/RBPV or (like I did) install a riser plate to bring the unti/ back to where it gives proper pressure. (Adjusting the leverage ratio of the rod to the valve doesn't always get you there.)
    Exactly.

The LSPV simply allow more fluid pressure to go to the rear brakes, the more weight there is back there. Without it, you'd lock up your rear wheels every time you stepped on the brake pedal, and or, warp the living shit out of your front rotors in short order as they would be doing all the work.

Us guys with the first gen's had to actually make a bracket that moved the location of the axle end of its arm up the amount that you lifted the truck. The second and third gens do it some other way, I'm sure Obi can explain.

Captain One Lung Administrator
    If you don't care about how it looks... win.
    Agreed. It's not a pretty vehicle.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Drum Brakes --> Disc Brake Conversion.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    Agreed. It's not a pretty vehicle.
    They managed to outdo the old Ridgeline in fugly department.
    IPA will save America

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    I'm sure Obi can explain.
    Nope. That pretty much covers it.

FC, got a flash drive you want to bring by the house? Want this stuff?
    Last edited by Obi; 10-27-2016 at 11:13 PM.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    I'm on Tacomaworld.com now btw. Say 'hi'.
    Oddly enough that's the one forum I never created a login for. Feel free to come in and play around in Pirate4x4 though.

fc
    Nope. That pretty much covers it.

FC, got a flash drive you want to bring by the house? Want this stuff?
    No thanks. If I did, there's this email thing where you can send up to super gigs of data.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Oddly enough that's the one forum I never created a login for. Feel free to come in and play around in Pirate4x4 though.
    Ha! Pirate...can get a little rough over there, no? Or was that just in the past, lol?

Fc, don't forget TTORA and Yotatech as well. There are so many knowledgeable guys on those sites...

fc
    Ha! Pirate...can get a little rough over there, no? Or was that just in the past, lol?

Fc, don't forget TTORA and Yotatech as well. There are so many knowledgeable guys on those sites...
    Right on!!

I visit Tepui next Monday! Then the rooftop screwin around starts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Taco envy-1-c60670cef771f251fd95b04eeb91aa4f-001.jpg  

IPA will save America

jrm
    mtbr member
    Cant you upgrade the rotors and calipers on the tacoma? I ran tundra rotors and calipers on my 3rd gen 4runner which had rear drum brakes. It was a night and day improvement in braking and it doesnt cost that much more than replacing with tacoma OE. Plan on doing the same thing on the current 4th gen 4runner after icon coil overs....

PS: i should have some bilstein 5100/tacoma TRD coilover for sale pretty soon if anyones interested...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    FYI - the old man emu setup is great for the 4runner if you're not running more than ~33's. Just add the allpro upper control arms to dial the alignment.

This morning, my 4th gen 4runner pulled a 18,000gvw truck out of the mud. Go Toyota!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    Cant you upgrade the rotors and calipers on the tacoma? I ran tundra rotors and calipers on my 3rd gen 4runner which had rear drum brakes. It was a night and day improvement in braking and it doesnt cost that much more than replacing with tacoma OE. Plan on doing the same thing on the current 4th gen 4runner after icon coil overs....

PS: i should have some bilstein 5100/tacoma TRD coilover for sale pretty soon if anyones interested...
    Yes, look up 'Tundra caliper upgrade/swap' on TTORA, Yotatech, Tacomaworld etc. Actually, putting those terms into googlie will probably pull up threads from all of them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    So I had an 08 Tacoma 4X4single cab "work truck" with the big liter 4 cylinder in it. I used mine a lot for my work which involves a lot of hard offroad miles. I wore out the rear end pretty badly. Did something to the leaf springs and developed significant play in whatever linkages there are-I don't speak truck that well) The shop thought I towed heavy unbalanced loads a lot, even though I never towed anything. The second hypothesis is that I spent two much time off road in 2wd breaking the tires loose as opposed to maintaining constant traction in 4wd. Any of you guys that know these trucks ever heard of that?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    The stock Tacoma leaf packs are pretty weak. Prone to sagging out, even breaking leaves.

There are a bunch of companies that you can get replacement leaf springs from though. Deaver, Alcan Spring, All-Pro, Dakar etc. Deaver and Alcan will make custom leaf packs for you to your needs and uses. I personally had a set made by Alcan.

You can also add single or multiple leave's to your existing leaf pack...referred to as Add a leaf (AAL). Depending on your needs (weight hauling, whether or not you want lift etc.) these can work out ok, or they can wear out pretty quick, and or cause stress risers in the other leafs because they aren't the same thickness as the existing ones. They'll get you by in a pinch though, and are an easy install.

I personally recommend getting custom leaf packs made. They'll cost you negligibly more than the stock replacements from Toyota...and they'll be WAY better. You can get them to carry more load, but ride at stock height, or you can get them to give a particular lift, and carry weight, or you can get them to give more lift and ride supple and carry little to no weight. Good leaf companies can make whatever you want.

Deaver and Alcan are both very familiar with all the Tacoma's and will know exactly what you need before you even do, just by talking to you for a minute, LOL!

You can check out Wheelersoffroad...they have stuff in stock that might suit your needs. Great company.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    My 04 with a Flippac, been all over the Western US with it

Taco envy-dsc_0049.jpgTaco envy-dsc_0587.jpgTaco envy-back.jpgTaco envy-dsc_0436.jpg

fc
    Here's my friend's Flippac. So cool!!!

Taco envy-14937284_10154084215543325_2587310913619538021_n.jpg
    get there

Taco envy-14917185_10154084172453325_5041433569998033354_o.jpg
    setup

Taco envy-14907013_10154084195538325_5024392660071045522_n.jpg
    IPA will save America

fc
    I visited Tepui yesterday. I have a plan now. Maybe.

Taco envy-3-screen-shot-2016-11-01-11.56.41-am-2-.jpg
    Custom rack! The goal is to still put bikes on the tailgate.

Taco envy-1-nsr6-2.jpg
    If not, then do the North Shore.

Taco envy-2-screen-shot-2016-11-01-12.02.00-pm-2-.jpg
    Then go wheelin and bikin
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Taco's Rule!

Here's mine.. 2005 TRD Sport 4x4 DCLB. 3" OME suspension, SCS Stealth 6 wheels with 285 Duratracs.

Taco envy-img_20161028_092720-medium-.jpg

Taco envy-img_20161022_170008-medium-.jpg

Taco envy-img_20161010_122938-medium-.jpg

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    I visited Tepui yesterday. I have a plan now. Maybe.
    This thread's worthless without bedrack fabrication images.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I don't know if this is applicable to Gen2 Tacomas, but the brakes on my old T100 bought used, were pretty weak. I ignored it, but after a while started getting a really bad vibration sometimes on braking. Finally pulled the front wheels and found that the pads (non-Toyota were to large, as if for a slightly larger diameter rotor by about 5mm. The pads were half worn, so had effectively "wrapped" around the outside of the rotor and couldn't retract easily. So I think the dragging heated up the rotors and induced some warp. Anyway, I installed new pads only (Akebonos) and the brakes were much better, not just smooth but much better stopping as well. I had been thinking of a Tundra caliper and rotor upgrade but was very happy with the new pads.

fc
    This thread's worthless without bedrack fabrication images.
    Here's the current design. It is freefloating and very configurable.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Here is the Taco Truck now.

Pretty cool but there are problems with the Thule Xsporter on a Tacoma. That rack is supposed to raise and lower but the bed is blocking it. It works for now but a whole new concept design is happening on the back of a napkin somewhere.

Taco envy-img_4773.jpg

Taco envy-img_4808.jpg
    IPA will save America

Now you're ready to overland!

I started watching this little series on an overlanding expedition to Alaska. They ran a 2013 Tacoma TRD and 2000 Land Cruiser 100. After the first episode it gets pretty cool.

The website and rest of the episodes.
    Alaska/Yukon ? Expedition Overland

Another cool website for Overland/Expedition info and gear reviews.

Expedition Portal

And you should get an MTBR wrap for the new rig.

fc
    Here, got some steel! Gonna bend and weld and schit.Taco envy-3-img_4817.jpg

Taco envy-6-img_4841.jpg
    IPA will save America

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    *I TRIED to tell ya you were gonna have issues with the Thule bits. They simply don't jive well with Tacomas and Rams.

Here, got some steel! Gonna bend and weld and schit.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3-IMG_4817.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	129.0 KB 
ID:	1103684
    That's about what, $260 in materials? Nice! Have fun matching bends!

Please tell him when he's done to reach out to the Strawberry & Chambord Margarati Guy because he wants something for his fullsize Ram?

Justin, Expo is definitely an addictive, I mean informative site! What helps is Scott Brady's good people too.

*I TRIED to tell ya you were gonna have issues with the Thule bits. They simply don't jive well with Tacomas and Rams.

Please tell him when he's done to reach out to the Strawberry & Chambord Margarati Guy because he wants something for his fullsize Ram?

Justin, Expo is definitely an addictive, I mean informative site! What helps is Scott Brady's good people too.
    One of my crawler friends told me about it. Pretty cool stuff! He's trying to get me to lift my truck but then Jeni couldn't get the bikes onto the tailgate. LOL

fc

Good knowledge on materials!

But why the constant name-dropping? Like you know everyone and they know you. My friend is not going to reach out to Chambord Margarati. We have to ride bikes.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Now you're ready to overland!

I started watching this little series on an overlanding expedition to Alaska. They ran a 2013 Tacoma TRD and 2000 Land Cruiser 100. After the first episode it gets pretty cool.

The website and rest of the episodes.
    Alaska/Yukon ? Expedition Overland
    Thank you bud!!!!! Now my second monitor has something to do.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by dman_mb1 View Post
    I don't know if this is applicable to Gen2 Tacomas, but the brakes on my old T100 bought used, were pretty weak. I ignored it, but after a while started getting a really bad vibration sometimes on braking. Finally pulled the front wheels and found that the pads (non-Toyota were to large, as if for a slightly larger diameter rotor by about 5mm. The pads were half worn, so had effectively "wrapped" around the outside of the rotor and couldn't retract easily. So I think the dragging heated up the rotors and induced some warp. Anyway, I installed new pads only (Akebonos) and the brakes were much better, not just smooth but much better stopping as well. I had been thinking of a Tundra caliper and rotor upgrade but was very happy with the new pads.
    Well sounds like wrong parts on yours so I don't think that's my problem.

But I do need to inspect my whole brake system and bleed. Can't be as bad as Avid Juicys right? Or Hope hydraulics.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Ok, here's the back of the napkin cad sketches. My bro-heim is making this rack fabrication more complex but it's his sweat equity and man, does he have the skills.

Now he is making the rack modular and collapsible so it can be taken down in pieces and stored flat. The big upside for now is I can take off just the center rails and haul that piano or ATV that I'm gonna buy... and sell.

Taco envy-1-img_7012.jpg

Taco envy-2-fullsizerender.jpg
    IPA will save America

used to be RipRoar
    Looks nice, I love fabricating my own gear.

One thought would be to turn the gussets inboard (or one in) if they don't impede anything. Fore n aft looks to be solid without gussets but your side loading may need bracing since your attachment point is way up high. Just a thought...

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxFactory View Post
    Looks nice, I love fabricating my own gear.

One thought would be to turn the gussets inboard (or one in) if they don't impede anything. Fore n aft looks to be solid without gussets but your side loading may need bracing since your attachment point is way up high. Just a thought...
    Explain some more please. Where are the gussets in the drawing and where should they be moved? Let me know and I can relay it over.
    IPA will save America

used to be RipRoar
    Its just a thought. I am sure your fabricator is aware of the loading and a-lot depends on the wall thickness of that tubing. My thought was something like this design:

Taco envy-fc-design.jpg

fc
    Its just a thought. I am sure your fabricator is aware of the loading and a-lot depends on the wall thickness of that tubing. My thought was something like this design:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fc design.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	1103808
    Thank you. Yes, I'll ask him. It would be cool if those bars can stay up perfectly well even when there's no horizontal beams. I'll ask him to round out the edges of those fastener slats too so they're not too sharp when the beams are not in use.
    IPA will save America

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by fc
    Good knowledge on materials!
    FC, as far as my knowledge in materials, etc, yes. It's why I'm able to to offer you info. It's part of my background, resume, whatever you wish to call it.

But why the constant name-dropping? Like you know everyone and they know you. My friend is not going to reach out to Chambord Margarati. We have to ride bikes.
    I'm not entirely sure how to read that, whether it's tongue-in-cheek or a fair analogy so with that, I'm sorry you interpreted things in that way. In my eyes all I'm doing is putting references in front of you for your benefit while clarifying why I know this sort of stuff. I thought/hoped it would be a nice gesture. IMHO It always helps to have someone in the know, if even to cross-reference info you're given. Since you feel this way I'll stop doing that and instead wait for you to ask (directly) next time.
    Last edited by Obi; 11-05-2016 at 02:34 PM.

fc
    Here's some rack photos.

Taco envy-img_4879.jpg
    Thousands of sparks and no fire.

Taco envy-pb050019.jpg
    Bending pipe
    Taco envy-pb050009.jpg
    The pipe bender is anchored on the driveway with these hidden, threaded holes.
    Taco envy-pb050023.jpg
    Tubing

Taco envy-pb050046.jpg
    Bending steel with a car jack contraption.

Taco envy-pb050054.jpg
    guides
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Taco envy-pb050008.jpg  

IPA will save America

jrm
    mtbr member

fc
    Here's a sweeet taco
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Taco envy-14962792_10154557223918213_8601138461151145305_n.jpg  

IPA will save America

fc
    coming together

Taco envy-1-img_7030.jpg

Taco envy-2-img_7027.jpg

Taco envy-3-img_7031.jpg

Taco envy-4-img_7030-001.jpg

Taco envy-5-img_7027-001.jpg

Taco envy-6-img_7031-001.jpg

Getting close. Looks like we're gonna employ the master painter, rattle can kid.
    IPA will save America

Man that is looking good! Giving me ideas and I'm not sure Jeni is going to be happy. Haha

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Spam-o-rama: Im selling my taco I bought new in 1999. 2000 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 4WD 2.7L 4cyl SR5 Extra Cab Original Owner

It's got FOX SHOX!!!

Commence flaming for asking price....but just listed last night and I figured I would aim high at the start. Already go a couple of lookers lined up. If it doest go today I would certainly discount for a good home where I know she will get to play with bikes and make Downieville trips on a regular basis. Or maybe someone can convince me to keep it.

Snowjnky McDreamy
    I hoping to see delicious tacos.
    I want my money back
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

Air Pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by snowjnky View Post
    I hoping to see delicious tacos.
    I want my money back
    Hmmmm....your post made me realize that this thread ran for six pages without anyone saying something about pink tacos....the usual suspects must be out riding...or have gone blind....
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

fc
    bike, tent, kid. I say we're done for now.

Taco envy-1-pb070075-001.jpg
    IPA will save America

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    bike, tent, kid. I say we're done for now.

Name:	1-PB070075-001.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	144.1 KB 
ID:	1104237
    How much for the gray single cab D-Truck in background?

fc
    How much for the gray single cab D-Truck in background?
    We like big red back there.Taco envy-img_3545.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    i could never attach a tent to my truck.

i still dont mind sleeping on the ground. and i use my truck for hunting, and occasionally we need to drive to a trail head or something, go and get a dead thing..that would be a bummer to have a tent attached to the meat-getter.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    and is is colder having cold air moving below the tent?
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

fc

i still dont mind sleeping on the ground. and i use my truck for hunting, and occasionally we need to drive to a trail head or something, go and get a dead thing..that would be a bummer to have a tent attached to the meat-getter.
    There's a 3 inch memory foam mattress in there for comfort and insulation. And your sleeping bag, pillow and midnight snacks just stay in the tent, even when packed.

Not for everyone, sure. But it's a new toy! The kids think it's a treehouse and spouse is into it.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    i get it. but owning the only tacoma in our hunt group..i have the best backroad truck. nobody ever wants to take their big trucks down narrow nasty trails.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    any idea if your 2006 is an early or late year model?
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

fc
    i get it. but owning the only tacoma in our hunt group..i have the best backroad truck. nobody ever wants to take their big trucks down narrow nasty trails.
    Seee, you have become the designated shuttle-b.

If your tent was up on the truck, they'll drive. Say "sorry dudes, i'd drive but I got a lot of beer and porn up in there truck."
    IPA will save America

fc
    See what we did here. It is as low as possible to fit all tire standards and still be hella aero.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BMjaHA1A0mO/?taken-by=mtbr
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    There's a 3 inch memory foam mattress in there for comfort and insulation. And your sleeping bag, pillow and midnight snacks just stay in the tent, even when packed.

Not for everyone, sure. But it's a new toy! The kids think it's a treehouse and spouse is into it.
    Add a gun rack and you're halfway into Idaho citizenship!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho View Post
    Add a gun rack and you're halfway into Idaho citizenship!
    The fly over programs showing Idaho confirm it is the most beautiful state in the union! IMHO
    Suicide by single speed. Work in progress.

Be careful out there.... lol

Man Kills Elk, Elk Impales Man Moments Later | Huffington Post

Taco envy-582110861600002e002c8fba.jpeg

Snowjnky McDreamy
    Taco envy-pink.jpg

and after a full day of the Rehab Beach club I usually eat here https://www.hardrockhotel.com/las-ve...ants/pink-taco
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

Snowjnky McDreamy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoicowboy View Post
    Hmmmm....your post made me realize that this thread ran for six pages without anyone saying something about pink tacos....the usual suspects must be out riding...or have gone blind....
    fixed
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

fc
    fixed
    ur welcome.

Does your Subaru have a rack or are you just lowriding these days?
    IPA will save America

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    We like big red back there.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3545.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	122.9 KB 
ID:	1104278
    Oh trust me, I saw BigRed, I HIGHLY doubt that thing will ever be up for sale.

On a different note,

You know, #JustSaying.

Snowjnky McDreamy
    ur welcome.

Does your Subaru have a rack or are you just lowriding these days?

Racks on the Subie
    Taco envy-wrx.jpg

I have the Thule Playpen from the first Subie I owned for longer trips

Taco envy-playpen.jpgName:  playpen2.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  16.1 KB

Still have the Tahoe for camping and shenanigans

Taco envy-tahoe.jpgTaco envy-tahoe2.jpg
    and now got another project on the way

Taco envy-next.jpg

no taco yet
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

fc
    Oh trust me, I saw BigRed, I HIGHLY doubt that thing will ever be up for sale.

On a different note,

You know, #JustSaying.
    Right on. What is that coupler enhancement device?

Big red has about 500 ft/lbs of torque I think and it has that diesel blower thing that makes it sound like an 18-wheeler when triggered.

Here's the Power Wagon.

Taco envy-1-pb070047.jpg
    IPA will save America

fc
    Racks on the Subie

Name:	wrx.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	192.1 KB 
ID:	1104371

I have the Thule Playpen from the first Subie I owned for longer trips

Name:	playpen.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	1104372Name:  playpen2.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  16.1 KB

Still have the Tahoe for camping and shenanigans

Name:	tahoe.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	127.2 KB 
ID:	1104376Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tahoe2.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	1104377
    and now got another project on the way

Name:	next.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	173.4 KB 
ID:	1104378

no taco yet
    Love it young blood! Ain't enough hours in the day. Whoever dies with the most toys wins a door prize.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Got my personalized plates since there's no one at the DMV today

Taco envy-14992003_10154646475109664_4346105040906300594_n-1-.jpg
    IPA will save America

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    A tubing/roll-cage coulper is basically for strengthening a joint you want to be able to take apart as well as installation/removal usage for say cramped quarters. Having some would have let you run a pair of crossbars instead of how you have your rectangle tube. You, the Wife, and maybe the kids likely aren't gonna be bending those rectangle bars anytime soon. Just for the sake of looking at the idea, look into some couplers in case you decide to add them later. They'll tie in the rack a bit stronger and still allow you to disassemble it to lay flat.
    Last edited by Obi; 11-09-2016 at 01:28 AM.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    *Off-Topic, Those 4 and 6cyl Cummins readily lend themselves to added fun and power. An old co-worker has that 1980's Yellow Power Wagon Macho you've likely seen out here I'm holding out for. No interest in selling it yet. I'd love to get it.

WRX, modded. Leggy, snow wagon. Nicely spec'd 8cyl, Auto (4wd?) Tahoe. Oh yeah, I got a sweet Jeep too!
    I hate you (now).
    Last edited by Obi; 11-09-2016 at 01:25 AM.

Snowjnky McDreamy

I hate you (now).
    z71 5.3 Vortec
    I don't have a taco though...but it is on the list.

Love you too
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

fc

Taco envy

A tubing/roll-cage coulper is basically for strengthening a joint you want to be able to take apart as well as installation/removal usage for say cramped quarters. Having some would have let you run a pair of crossbars instead of how you have your rectangle tube. You, the Wife, and maybe the kids likely aren't gonna be bending those rectangle bars anytime soon. Just for the sake of looking at the idea, look into some couplers in case you decide to add them later. They'll tie in the rack a bit stronger and still allow you to disassemble it to lay flat.
    Gotcha. No. That's an expensive solution I don't need. Rack is SO beefy right now.

Taco envy-1-img_7027.jpg

Bigass bar sits on a cradle. There is a bolt hole on it on the bottom with a nut welded inside the bar. The ends are capped off with a plate and finished. The crossbar attaches with one bolt on the bottom.
    Last edited by fc; 11-10-2016 at 07:22 AM.
    IPA will save America

fc
    So I was gonna have the kid rattlecan paint it but Fast Eddy implored that I get it powdercoated or clearcoated. Anyway, thought it would be super expensive but I dropped it off today and it's $150 for 14 pieces with a 'fine textured black' finish. So stoked!!!

Taco envy-1-pb080012.jpg

Taco envy-2-pb080026.jpg

Taco envy-3-pb080029.jpg

Taco envy-4-pb080035.jpg
    IPA will save America

used to be RipRoar
    Looks pretty cozy up top, nice build!

fc
    Looks pretty cozy up top, nice build!
    Thanks bud. Really blown way that riding buddy and forum member, Randles built this for me. Hopefully, he'll start selling these.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    So I was gonna have the kid rattlecan paint it but Fast Eddy implored that I get it powdercoated or clearcoated. Anyway, thought it would be super expensive but I dropped it off today and it's $150 for 14 pieces with a 'fine textured black' finish. So stoked!!!

Name:	1-PB080012.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	1104690

Name:	2-PB080026.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	1104691

Name:	3-PB080029.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	1104692

Name:	4-PB080035.jpg 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	1104693
    Do you have to pop the tailgate to put the bikes on the pad?

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho View Post
    Do you have to pop the tailgate to put the bikes on the pad?
    No. Not when the tent is closed, or even open.

That is the genius of this system. 100 measurements were taken by the great Randles. He would just come to my house and measure. Said he couldn't sleep.

Taco envy-2-pa310164.jpg
    We visited the founders of Tepui

Taco envy-3-img_4833-1-.jpg
    Measure 100x.

Taco envy-1-pb070096.jpg
    And it's not so frickn high.

Two things made it possible: 6-foot bed and we flipped the tent 90 degrees.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    No. Not when the tent is closed, or even open.

That is the genius of this system. 100 measurements were taken by the great Randles. He would just come to my house and measure. Said he couldn't sleep.

Name:	2-PA310164.jpg 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	1104740
    We visited the founders of Tepui

Name:	3-IMG_4833 (1).jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	1104741
    Measure 100x.

Name:	1-PB070096.jpg 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	1104739
    And it's not so frickn high.

Two things made it possible: 6-foot bed and we flipped the tent 90 degrees.
    Sweet setup!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Spam special

If any of you Taco guys are looking for a clean commuter/light duty 2WD I've got one coming up for sale. 2001 base model, 5 speed, 1 owner all records, great condition. 248K but runs strong. PM me for details.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Taco envy-01taco1.jpg  

Air Pirate
    Taco envy-tacos.jpg
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoicowboy View Post

Name:	tacos.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	120.9 KB 
ID:	1104915
    OK, rule #1, after the second person joke-trolls it's game on! I've been holding back, I can't resist any more!

El queso está viejo y pútrido. ¿Dónde está el sanitario?

fc
    Shut the front door!

Taco envy-2-pb110040.jpg

Taco envy-1-pb110023.jpg
    IPA will save America

No Taco envy here........

Might have to trade in my Canyon to get this bad boy.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Just back from Moab/Porcupine Rim, where my trusty 2012 stock 4x4 taco (5spd std, 2.7L 4cyl) served flawlessly. Again. Bought it new in '13, and plan to be it's last owner. $ well spent, imho.

Oddly enough (or not), some mtb'ing principles seem to serve well (to this 4x4 noobie) in learning to drive off-road. Like picking good lines, controlling speed/momentum, traction control, avoiding large boulders/trees...
    ...well, except for that FL hub cap, courtesy of the Gold Lake OHV camping area road!
    And I am going to pretend I didn't see any of that lift/upgrade stuff at all.
    2 wheeled $u$pension is bad enough.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Taco envy-img_0352.jpg  

"I may not be fast descending, but I'm pretty slow climbing."

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    No Taco envy here........

Might have to trade in my Canyon to get this bad boy.
    Meh. I haven't looked yet, is the 2.8dt available or is it the straight 5? *I looked a few years back at the cost/value of one with the 8cyl but no space to work on it yourself and same cost as a fullsize.

Get you one of these, or do like I did, model down and build it out to suit.

Meh. Get you one of these, or do like I did, model down and build it out to suit.
    Too damn big and fuel economy sucks. Otherwise the Power Wagon is dreamy, the Rebel isn't bad either.

I already have the Canyon but the ZR2 comes with new control arms and axles to widen track by 3.5" and has front and rear electronic lockers. The front and rear bumpers won't retro to a Canyon either. You may be able to purchase the Multimatic shocks and control arm package though. I believe they are trying to price it as low as possible by not offering certain upgrades like umm carpet to keep costs down unlike some offering which make you get the top trim level to obtain the 4x4 goodies.

See an illustration of the Multimatic DSSV shocks in detail at time 00:54
    See time 3:00 to see the lockers in action.

Upcyclist
    Ugh, my Taco is dripping sauce. After a quick Tacomaworld search I tightened my valve cover bolts that were finger tight and checked the oil filter, which was tight, but still she drips. There's what looks like fresh oil coming from above the oil filter area, so I'm guessing new VCGs are in order.

Now I have to figure out if this is something I want to DIY, or just have it done: https://youtu.be/N5fAXAuGozI

I'd like to do an engine clean/degrease myself to see if I can locate the leakage, but I'm not sure on the best way to go about doing it, any tips/links/videos would be appreciated!
    Cool heads prevail

Keyboard Warrior SuperModerator
    Apr 2016
    Anyone selling a 4x4 Taco with four doors and a manual transmission? PM me. Standard cab life is overrated.

mtbr member
    Love Tacomas, but as stated, the prices are ridiculous. So I have the last year of the small Tundra. It's a 2006 DC 4x4. Has an LSD in the rear. Toytec Coilovers up front and an AAL in the rear. It does everything I ask of it. I go out in the snow with it and usually my dad will come along in his 2015 Tacoma. With the LSD I can usually make it through tough spots in 2wd, while he's struggling in 4wd.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast