Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Taco envy

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    But then I asked how much that cost and he said $1200. So I think I'll be doing .
    Probably a few hundred in fluids. Trans typically gets flushed but even still you should be well under that figure.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Aww....

Taco envy-5899781205_197ba74efb_z.jpg

Taco envy-6541085719_b1302afb1c_z.jpg

Taco envy-6541284243_b905fb7388_z.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I've been happy with my 2016 TRD/OR so far. I've had it just over a year. Done a bit of off roading.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Right on man. We have identical mileage.

Friends were recommending that I change all the fluids including the transmission fluid. But then I asked how much that cost and he said $1200. So I think I'll be doing the selective DIY route.

MPG will be interesting but the cool thing is I don't commute everyday anymore. So mostly a biking, roadtrip vehicle.

My Crosstrek is funny cause it gets 30 mpg but on a fully loaded road trip it was getting 22mpg... on flat ground. Then Tahoe came up and it got 12 mpg with zero power. Curious to see how the Taco fares.

One thing for sure is this V6 is torquey, even more than the 2016 Atkinson Tacoma that I drove for a week.
    no way. i had ToyotaPro in Concord do the tranny flush..OEM fluid and total flush. it was around $350. IIRC it was 11 qts of fluid.

the diffs and transfer case is easy. and the spark plugs are easy as well. if you take out the plugs and you see NGK one one side of the V6 and Denso on the other cylinder bank..you will know the plugs are 110k old. for some reason they came that way from the factory. let me know if you need help.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    what's lifting the rears? blocks?
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    FC, check out Addison's (RickaShay's)pics as well as Wyatt's stuff for inspiration. Like I said before, PM me if you want to chat. The guy on the old Moped is a friend's Dad, Marlin, he's one of the best along with Wyatt, Addison, in my experience with advise/etc.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Now, onto the more important question, when you gonna take it out to Hollister for a safe little shakedown run to learn what it's capable of?

Also, still not seeing you say you had the frame inspection already done b/c of the Dana-Rot.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomchakabowwow View Post
    what's lifting the rears? blocks?
    An extra leaf. We covered this already
    IPA will save America

fc

Taco envy

testing the new Thule T2 rack. The liftgate pads come tomorrow.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    An extra leaf. We covered this already
    sorry.. Add-a-leaf..got it.

quick summary of my rear leaf experience. i had to get it done. service rep said it was a safety issue and my wife heard. he put on the new springs for free, but my AAL's got tossed. now picture my truck. it had a low-ass. haha..it was funny, but the service rep owned up to in and had my stock parts put back on to level the truck. i believe the new rear leaf packs have an extra brace that rendered my AAL's useless anyways. they are too long to fit between the new braces.

back at stock height, my truck rides smoother. and zero drivetrain vibrations.

my fronts were oldman emu..i just gave them away. it's a better option than that front spacer. but i admit, i bet there are a 100,000 spacers installed on trucks out there.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

fc
    sorry.. Add-a-leaf..got it.

quick summary of my rear leaf experience. i had to get it done. service rep said it was a safety issue and my wife heard. he put on the new springs for free, but my AAL's got tossed. now picture my truck. it had a low-ass. haha..it was funny, but the service rep owned up to in and had my stock parts put back on to level the truck. i believe the new rear leaf packs have an extra brace that rendered my AAL's useless anyways. they are too long to fit between the new braces.

back at stock height, my truck rides smoother. and zero drivetrain vibrations.

my fronts were oldman emu..i just gave them away. it's a better option than that front spacer. but i admit, i bet there are a 100,000 spacers installed on trucks out there.
    My buddy had a rear leaf rise/upgrade done and then the news of the recall came out. He got Toyota to pay for his aftermarket leaf upgrade. He said it took a bit of time and correspondence but he just got the check.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Anybody try the Thule Xsport rack? Pretty interesting with the adjustable height.

Taco envy-687474703a2f2f696d672e7461706174616c6b2e636f6d2f642f31342f30362f32322f65717576613579722e6a7067.jpg

Taco envy-img_20130727_181120.jpg

Taco envy-thule_moab_xsporter_1.jpg
    IPA will save America

Ariolimax columbianus
    I bought a frontrunner rack for my truck bed, dunno if I really like it. So what's the best lift for a 2nd gen taco? Too many options, do I need new UCA's? King, Fox, or Bilstein? The Icon's I had on my 1st gen rusted pretty fast, but I'm sure that's normal.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Smaller body? How much?
    Extended cab with the jump seats in the back, normal bed length. It was a 2000 before 4 doors were an option so smaller body than the current Tacos. It was the TRD model so it had a rear locker and 4wd, 5 speed manual. Great truck. I sold it for $7,800 and probably could have gotten more. I had 10 people asking about it within a day of putting it on craigslist.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by peter.thedrake View Post
    Extended cab with the jump seats in the back, normal bed length. It was a 2000 before 4 doors were an option so smaller body than the current Tacos. It was the TRD model so it had a rear locker and 4wd, 5 speed manual. Great truck. I sold it for $7,800 and probably could have gotten more. I had 10 people asking about it within a day of putting it on craigslist.
    Amazing resale huh! Sounds like you didn't charge the typical Taco Tax! That's why you had 10 callers in one day.

Mark59 here said one his clients gave him a 1999 Tacoma with 140k miles. He then spent two solid weeks buffing it out and customizing it. At the time I thought, "Why the heck is he bothering with that pile." But after taking it on many rides and trips with him, I know understand. It drives like a champ and we could drive it to Whistler tomorrow, no prob.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Taco in the wild

My 2015 on the North Rim a few days ago. AZ vehicle so no front plate
    Rode a segment of the AZ Trail including single track in the National Park that's open to bikes. Also did Rainbow Rim with the relatively new southern extension included. Peak colors in most areas.

Taco envy-taco.jpg

fc
    I got a pad. Reviewed it already.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Francis,

Glad you got a Taco. I'm a first gen owner myself. A little off topic, but somewhat related...I see you still have your XV. How are you liking that after a few years?

We're getting rid of our TDI and are thinking of adding another Taco to the mix, or getting an XV/Crosstrek. I just remember you saying about the XV that it just had no ass at all if you had any weight in it. We are just three, and only load bikes during summer and snowboards inside all winter. (Not sure if that would work with this car, but in our TDI we just layed the side rear seat down and the boards all lived over there.)

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by jochribs View Post
    Francis,

Glad you got a Taco. I'm a first gen owner myself. A little off topic, but somewhat related...I see you still have your XV. How are you liking that after a few years?

We're getting rid of our TDI and are thinking of adding another Taco to the mix, or getting an XV/Crosstrek. I just remember you saying about the XV that it just had no ass at all if you had any weight in it. We are just three, and only load bikes during summer and snowboards inside all winter. (Not sure if that would work with this car, but in our TDI we just layed the side rear seat down and the boards all lived over there.)
    It has been an awesome car. 3 years, 65k miles and just oil change and tires. Mileage has been good at about 30 mpg combined with mild driving.

It is peppy around town but not great with aggressive driving or high mountains. We've taken it fully loaded to LA and Tahoe a few times. It'll get up there, you just won't be passing anybody.

It's been of-road too and has no problems at all. bike can be thown in the back with the split folding seats.
    IPA will save America

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Anybody try the Thule Xsport rack? Pretty interesting with the adjustable height.
    I had them but even with just two kids in the Cascadia the aluminum can tweak or bend. I loved them for bikes, boards, paddleboat stuff. Get a real rack. You can always talk with All-Pro since they sell a ton of them. A steel bed rack, properly built to your needs is worth the expense with the additional "Toys" you're looking to put up there.

If it's just a "Cargo Capacity" thing I still have that YakimaBedrock system, in great shape, sitting here. Hasn't sold yet, you know I'd trade/sell it to you @ a good deal. Let me know. I've no plans on re-installing it on the truck since we're either going with a shell or rack system for the bigger needs we have now.

mtbr member
    Upgrades?

- Air bag replacing the rubber impact bumper for the rear axle. Also get an on board compressor. This lets you lift the rear temporarily for clearance and to compensate for heavy stuff in the truck.

- A shell. This allows you to put stuff in there and have some expectation that it will be there when you come out of a store. I like the shell for camping too. We camp in our Taco when the road is too difficult for the 2500HD diesel with the 4 wheel poptop. Like, for instance, the Maze district of canyonlands.

- A differential vent kit that screws into the vents on the differentials and the transfer case. This puts the vent up high in the fender well and prevents water from entering when you drive through flooded areas and streams. Water eats gears.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    Upgrades?

- Air bag replacing the rubber impact bumper for the rear axle. Also get an on board compressor. This lets you lift the rear temporarily for clearance and to compensate for heavy stuff in the truck.

- A shell. This allows you to put stuff in there and have some expectation that it will be there when you come out of a store. I like the shell for camping too. We camp in our Taco when the road is too difficult for the 2500HD diesel with the 4 wheel poptop. Like, for instance, the Maze district of canyonlands.

- A differential vent kit that screws into the vents on the differentials and the transfer case. This puts the vent up high in the fender well and prevents water from entering when you drive through flooded areas and streams. Water eats gears.
    Thank you. Good insight.

A shell is good, practical option. But NO WAY I'm getting one. . I'll lose my tailgate status and I'll join the 4runner club

Still gonna pursue something like this.Taco envy-14563529_10207920843200539_437199267654019308_n.jpgTaco envy-14705861_10207920841920507_7676113331139957586_n.jpgName:  6541085719_b1302afb1c_z (1).jpg
Views: 679
Size:  30.3 KB
    IPA will save America

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

Still gonna pursue something like this.
    It'll payoff with the use you get out of it. Now, just a little advise, realize the rack, since you're already also talking RTT, is a gateway drug. Try to not go too far down the rabbit hole. If you think mountain biking is an expensive hobby just wait until you look at how you can use a truck for backcountry, wheeling, etc. Money goes fast in this game, but the memories and travels are worth the cost.

Sliders are still a recommendation from me. Even if you wait, or don't want/need bumpers, side armor is worth it just in stopped door dings.

jrm
    mtbr member
    there are a number of people selling tacoma trd coilovers and rear shocks on CL. it may not be a lift but its an upgrade suspension wise.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Obi View Post
    It'll payoff with the use you get out of it. Now, just a little advise, realize the rack, since you're already also talking RTT, is a gateway drug. Try to not go too far down the rabbit hole. If you think mountain biking is an expensive hobby just wait until you look at how you can use a truck for backcountry, wheeling, etc. Money goes fast in this game, but the memories and travels are worth the cost.

Sliders are still a recommendation from me. Even if you wait, or don't want/need bumpers, side armor is worth it just in stopped door dings.
    Thank you. Great input.

My wife really wants sliders and steps so she can get in so I'm sure it will happen. The bonus is my bud who's making the rear rack can make the side rails.

Maxxis and Michelin are offering to give me tires for this so I'm sure the truck will rise in stature sometime. Then even I can't get in or reach the roof toys.

This whole thing is a time suck indeed. But hopefully it'll motivate me to earn more money and do more rad things. For sure if I have a rooftop tent and cool stuff, my wife and son will go with me on great adventures. Even without them, they'll do it too.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    A 2016 Taco with a Tepui in the desert.

Mojave has LTE in way too many places.

Taco envy-img_4342.jpgTaco envy-img_4425.jpgTaco envy-img_4452.jpg

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by grumblingcrustacean View Post
    A 2016 Taco with a Tepui in the desert.

Mojave has LTE in way too many places.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4342.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	1100294Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4425.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	176.7 KB 
ID:	1100293Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4452.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	1100292
    That is soooo awesome!!
    IPA will save America

fc
    One of our own, Randy, who is also my Taco build advisor built this truck. So much win!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Taco envy-169277_455958074416624_799483536_o.jpg  

Taco envy-521998_10150644952936430_1503667557_n.jpg  

Taco envy-621454_519596528053594_2010213265_o.jpg  

Taco envy-943252_10201102163504275_957062607_n.jpg  

Taco envy-11050760_649160521882510_5127933538103445616_o.jpg  

IPA will save America

used to be RipRoar
    Looks like your in good hands fc. I have always liked the elevated sleeping quarters and racking myself. I agree custom is the way to go especially since you know a fabricator...The 3D image you posted of the rack is absolutely the shizz!. Its actually pretty simple design.

All this sure makes me miss my CJ7. I sold the project in 2008 when I was licking my wounds...

Got it this far..I touched every single bolt on that thing.

Taco envy-compress.jpg
    Taco envy-tubpainted.jpg

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    One of our own, Randy, who is also my Taco build advisor built this truck. So much win!
    Ha! Nice, I know that guy, and his Jeep Kaiser. He's good people, smart on tech and a solid wheeler. IIRC his buddy Mike has the black CJ?

I'm looking forward to see how the rack/bedcage turns out. If nothing more than to make me get off my butt and build our truck out finally.

Quote Originally Posted by TraxFactory View Post

All this sure makes me miss my CJ7. I sold the project in 2008 when I was licking my wounds...

Ditto, I miss having a rig to play on Rubicon, Fordyce, Strawberry, etc. Hit me up if you ever go looking for another Mopar project, I know people.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxFactory View Post
    Looks like your in good hands fc. I have always liked the elevated sleeping quarters and racking myself. I agree custom is the way to go especially since you know a fabricator...The 3D image you posted of the rack is absolutely the shizz!. Its actually pretty simple design.

Name:	compress.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	1100319

Name:	tubpainted.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	1100320
    Yeah, yeah... my bud Randy is smart. He says there's no need to anchor this type of rack to the floor. He says rest it on the bed and anchor it to the rails. Cheaper, stronger, lighter and more space efficient.

The key is to customize the length and height so I can still use the tailgate to load all the bikes!

Good
    Taco envy-5900346370_eef2944b25_z.jpg
    Better
    Name:  14563529_10207920843200539_437199267654019308_n.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  36.7 KB
    IPA will save America

mtbr member

My 2013

4x4 and 4cyl. No mud on bike today from Kennedy. Good to see you got the correct color tacoma fc. Taco envy-fullsizer-7-.jpg
    Suicide by single speed. Work in progress.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient rascal View Post
    4x4 and 4cyl. No mud on bike today from Kennedy. Good to see you got the correct color tacoma fc. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeR (7).jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	1100467
    Long lost brother!!!! That's the Taco i want for my kid. Maybe older, cheaper. Ok, a lot older.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    so happy to be out of the apartment and into a house. garages rock.

i did a quick oil change last night after a mtn bike ride. figured i was lightly coated with mud anyways so some grease wont hurt. i "thought" i have been keeping up with engine air filter changes but nope. pulled mine out and saw my writing...i sharpie the date and mileage on the filter. jan 2014 and 30k miles. opps. i think i've been changing my wife's filter thinking i'm doing mine. i really need to write crap down in a notebook somewhere.

new few weeks, new spark plugs and change all my diff and transfer case fluids..
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    My 2008 Tacoma TRD 4x4 with my trailer. The Tacoma has a 9000 Warn winch in front, on board air and Maggiolina roof top tent. The trailer holds all my camping gear and kayak.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Taco envy-tacoma.jpg  

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by mike5krnr View Post
    My 2008 Tacoma TRD 4x4 with my trailer. The Tacoma has a 9000 Warn winch in front, on board air and Maggiolina roof top tent. The trailer holds all my camping gear and kayak.
    Umm.... we need a few more photos of that rad setup.
    IPA will save America

Keyboard Warrior SuperModerator
    Apr 2016

i did a quick oil change last night after a mtn bike ride. figured i was lightly coated with mud anyways so some grease wont hurt. i "thought" i have been keeping up with engine air filter changes but nope. pulled mine out and saw my writing...i sharpie the date and mileage on the filter. jan 2014 and 30k miles. opps. i think i've been changing my wife's filter thinking i'm doing mine. i really need to write crap down in a notebook somewhere.

new few weeks, new spark plugs and change all my diff and transfer case fluids..
    That's impressive! I usually go about 10k between oil changes, but I run synthetic. Have you considered switching to Amsoil? They claim 25k oil changes. Only downside is how expensive it is.

Has anyone done one of those oil tests? I'm thinking about doing one in my Mazda. They're cheap, so it would mostly be for fun. Car has over 110,000 miles on it now.

mtbr member
    Here's mine in road trip mode. I got it 6 years and 150k miles ago for $12k, all-in. Very few issues with it. I'm at 260k miles now and it should go another 100k. Not very powerful but it does what I need it to, which is to take me to awesome places to ride!

I don't get truck bed tents or elevated platforms. Those seem like they'd be a pain in the a$$ as you'd have to put them away to drive anywhere.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBR_Saris View Post
    That's impressive! I usually go about 10k between oil changes, but I run synthetic. Have you considered switching to Amsoil? They claim 25k oil changes. Only downside is how expensive it is.

Has anyone done one of those oil tests? I'm thinking about doing one in my Mazda. They're cheap, so it would mostly be for fun. Car has over 110,000 miles on it now.
    the flashing "maint req" light would drive me insane..so i do Mobil1 oil changes at 5000. pretty inexpensive overall, since i brutalize my truck this time of year driving all over kingdom come chasing game animals.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    FC..do yourself a favor and change out your cabin Air filter. i think mine had a mouse arm in it..(i kid, i kid..but it was dark gray and completely plugged with some hair..lots of hair)
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

fc
    FC..do yourself a favor and change out your cabin Air filter. i think mine had a mouse arm in it..(i kid, i kid..but it was dark gray and completely plugged with some hair..lots of hair)
    bro. That's good advice. Never seen anything so clogged up. I think it weighed twice as much.
    Taco envy-img_4437-1-.jpg

Engine's clean but that cabin filter would have been left unchecked for years!!
    Taco envy-img_4439.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Taco envy-2016-04-02-12.43.36-2.jpg
    Tacos are good things!

fc
    The kids approve of the Taco!Taco envy-img_4443.jpg
    IPA will save America

fc

30k mile oil change???

Did the Taco run or sound any different? Pretty amazing actually.

Let us know when you sell that thing.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Hey FC, this is up in Redding, CA AllPro Expedition Rack $600

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by mike5krnr View Post
    Hey FC, this is up in Redding, CA AllPro Expedition Rack $600
    Thank you. I think we're making a custom one. It'll be based on this design. It'll be shorter so we're assured we can still use the tailgate for carrying bikes easily. I'll study the design and all the offerings of All Pro.
    IPA will save America

Track Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBR_Saris View Post

I've used Blackstone Labs for engine oil testing for over 15 years. Do it on both the Daily Drivers, as well as the race cars, but for different purposes...

The Daily Drivers get the oil tested at each change. Monitor the numbers, take the recommendations, and extend the oil changes. Test again at the next, extended, oil change to see if we are still good with the extended oil change intervals. The cost of the test is offset by the doubling (or tripling, or quadrupling) the mileage between oil changes. YMMV, pun intended.

The Race Cars get oil changed on an hourly (not mileage) interval. One heavy event weekend will require an oil change and testing. We use specialty oils, Blackstone is familiar with their content, and the readings help show what is being "used up" in the oil, and what is being "left behind" in the oil. Ultimately we are trying to maximize the hours the engine lasts, and address any wear or rebuild before catastrophic failure. That is where the cost-benefit lies for us.

PM me if you have questions.
    I get paid to ride shotgun.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Not sure if you want to drive off road, but I'd put bigger tires on it. I have an old 4runner with 3" of lift and 33" tires and it's really competent 4X4. I was really surprised what it could do out in Moab.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Esses View Post
    Not sure if you want to drive off road, but I'd put bigger tires on it. I have an old 4runner with 3" of lift and 33" tires and it's really competent 4X4. I was really surprised what it could do out in Moab.
    Heck ya I'd love to off-road it. If I can ever get out of town. And it's an old truck so it should be primed and ready.

My friend is a bastard and just changed his wheels and tires and then sent me photos.. So sick!!!Taco envy-14642203_1608511309174541_8524990082145163349_n-1-.jpg

3" level lift to fit the 285/70/17 tires and rims are 17 with -6 offset.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Heck ya I'd love to off-road it. If I can ever get out of town. And it's an old truck so it should be primed and ready.

My friend is a bastard and just changed his wheels and tires and then sent me photos.. So sick!!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14642203_1608511309174541_8524990082145163349_n (1).jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	107.4 KB 
ID:	1101105

3" level lift to fit the 285/70/17 tires and rims are 17 with -6 offset.
    Looks great but remember, your mileage will suffer greatly. I put 10ply tires on my Taco Double Cab for offroading and the mileage went from 18 to the low teens. Those tires were ultra-durable though.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho View Post
    Looks great but remember, your mileage will suffer greatly. I put 10ply tires on my Taco Double Cab for offroading and the mileage went from 18 to the low teens. Those tires were ultra-durable though.
    Good advice buddy!!
    IPA will save America

fc

Taco envy

Good advice buddy!!
    I'm going through my first tank right now and will realize first hand the damage on the wallet. One thing cool is the engine is barely over 2000 rpm. I think it will fare well when the truck is full as opposed to my Crosstrek where the mileage goes from 30 mpg to 22 mpg when fully loaded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I'm going through my first tank right now ad will realize first hand the damage on the wallet. One thing cool is the engine is barely over 2000 rpm. I think it will fare well when the truck is full as opposed to my Crosstrek where the mileage goes from 30 mpg to 22 mpg when fully loaded.

What helps is that it takes regular gas. Everything else I have requires premium so overall, I would call it a wash as far as cost per mile. These are really great trucks. Mine has had no modification whatsoever although at around 130k miles, I think I'll need new brakes as mine are beginning to vibrate pretty badly when slowing down from highway speeds. The only thing I would upgrade on my truck right now would be the headlights. It's a little weak for true backcountry driving but sufficient for highway or city driving.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Octane View Post
    I've used Blackstone Labs for engine oil testing for over 15 years.
    Blackstone is good - lets you know of something else is amiss inside the engine too.

Please tell us more about these race cars of which you speak...

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho View Post
    What helps is that it takes regular gas. Everything else I have requires premium so overall, I would call it a wash as far as cost per mile. These are really great trucks. Mine has had no modification whatsoever although at around 130k miles, I think I'll need new brakes as mine are beginning to vibrate pretty badly when slowing down from highway speeds. The only thing I would upgrade on my truck right now would be the headlights. It's a little weak for true backcountry driving but sufficient for highway or city driving.
    I drove the new 2016 Tacoma for a couple weeks and I could not get the mileage over 20 mpg on that Atkinson engine. This old Taco engine definitely has more low end torque as it pulls like a V8.

IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    With my Xterra approaching 200k miles and having needed several repairs lately my mechanic has hinted perhaps it's time to consider selling it while I can still get some cash out of it.

I must admit I have a bit of taco envy.. but damn the prices are insane.. there's a 2011 with 90k miles AND a salvage title for over 17k and a 04 with 116k miles for 18k.

Oh and most of the ones I'm seeing at over 15k+ are pre-runners, barf. People are fricking insane.

mtbr member
    I'm not into Toyotas that don't say Land Cruiser on the back, but every time I see the new Tacoma in that Inferno red/orange, I really want one.

Taco envy-tacoma.jpg

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukas View Post
    I must admit I have a bit of taco envy.. but damn the prices are insane.. there's a 2011 with 90k miles AND a salvage title for over 17k and a 04 with 116k miles for 18k.
    Thank you, made my day. A friend sold me his 06, 110k miles for $14.5k. Kids love it!!!Taco envy-img_9158-2-.jpg

Best part is after my son and I put 100k more miles and zero dollars in it, it will be worth... $14.5k.
    IPA will save America

Apr 2016
    Taco envy-trooper-1.jpgTaco envy-trooper-2.jpgTaco envy-trooper-3.jpg

Can I play? This is Trooper, my boys Yota. Standard cab, 4 banger, 5 speed manual, 2w drive, with rolly windows and manual locks. It's as practical as you can get.

He bought it new 4 years ago. It has 40k on the odometer, still worth sticker! Upgrades include Bilstein shocks, Sumo bottom out springs, wheels, tires, and some custom seat covers. It's a great little truck.

These pictures are from a trip to Big Sur. We went out on a overnight trip on our Dual Sports, but his carb failed. This was the rescue mission, but we couldn't help roosting dirt in the middle of nowhere.

mtbr member
    Thank you, made my day. A friend sold me his 06, 110k miles for $14.5k. Kids love it!!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9158 (2).jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	1101192

Best part is after my son and I put 100k more miles and zero dollars in it, it will be worth... $14.5k.
    Yeah, I got super lucky finding mine a few years ago. 07 with 48K miles for $15k. Guy lived in Hawaii and apparently didn't realize how valuable they are here.

Upcyclist
    My silver 2000 4cyl 4x4 with 360K got totaled by someone looking at their phone while turning left in front of me (I suspect, anyway). I found a white 2000 V6 pre-runner with power everything and 140K to replace it for only 2 thousand more than what my insurance gave me. I think I did pretty good even tho I miss my 4x4.

Last edited by Cornfield; 10-21-2016 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Forgot a couple zeros.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Dusty tacos

Tacos look better in the big country.

Taco envy-img_4492.jpg

Stand-up philosopher
    I drove the new 2016 Tacoma for a couple weeks and I could not get the mileage over 20 mpg on that Atkinson engine. This old Taco engine definitely has more low end torque as it pulls like a V8.

I have a 3rd gen taco. I can get 24 mpg as long as I keep it under 60. I can get 22-23 at 75. It has 2 overdrive gears that you have to adjust to. There is a tsb for the 16s that fixes the shift pattern and gives better mpg. I've seen reports that the 17s might get the tsb too.
    --
    stephen

no one can appreciate the poor misunderstood

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    My silver 2000 4cyl 4x4 with 360K got totaled by someone looking at their phone while turning left in front of me (I suspect, anyway). I found a white 2000 V6 pre-runner with power everything and 140K to replace it for only 2 thousand more than what my insurance gave me. I think I did pretty good even tho I miss my 4x4.

360k and it gave its life for you!! Looks like it protected the driver compartment well.
    IPA will save America

Upcyclist
    360k and it gave its life for you!! Looks like it protected the driver compartment well.
    Just a small burn on my arm from the airbag. Drove that thing all over California and western Nevada for many years. Didn't do much more than fluid changes. It served me well.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by drwx View Post
    I have a 3rd gen taco. I can get 24 mpg as long as I keep it under 60. I can get 22-23 at 75. It has 2 overdrive gears that you have to adjust to. There is a tsb for the 16s that fixes the shift pattern and gives better mpg. I've seen reports that the 17s might get the tsb too.
    good info.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Just a small burn on my arm from the airbag. Drove that thing all over California and western Nevada for many years. Didn't do much more than fluid changes. It served me well.
    360k miles and got some legit insurance money. That's Taco resale for you.
    IPA will save America

fc
    My build has started!Taco envy-img_4499.jpg

looking for something like this but custom so I can still put bikes on the Tailgate!
    Taco envy-img_27234.jpg
    IPA will save America

Upcyclist
    ^^ Nice! Looking forward to seeing it completed!

If you're looking for ideas on how to spend more money on your Taco, this is a good forum:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/

Eventually I'd like to get a set of these rims, I love the classic look in dark bronze and gunmetal:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...17x8-5.230532/

Stand-up philosopher
    ^^ Nice! Looking forward to seeing it completed!

If you're looking for ideas on how to spend more money on your Taco, this is a good forum:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/

Eventually I'd like to get a set of these rims, I love the classic look in dark bronze and gunmetal:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...17x8-5.230532/
    Eventually I'm going to put the trd pro sema wheels on mine in gunmetal color.

http://parts.toyotaofcoolsprings.com...zU8aAhsp8P8HAQ
    --
    stephen

fc

Taco envy

Eventually I'm going to put the trd pro sema wheels on mine in gunmetal color.

http://parts.toyotaofcoolsprings.com...zU8aAhsp8P8HAQ
    Damn. TRD wheels do it for me too.

IPA will save America

Upcyclist
    ^^ I like those, too!

It's funny how I look at prices for rims and think $179 is a good deal. If those were for mtb they'd be $400 a piece!

Stand-up philosopher
    ^^ I like those, too!

It's funny how I look at prices for rims and think $179 is a good deal. If those were for mtb they'd be $400 a piece!
    Yeah man. I'm holding off on mods like that because I want a new bike. New truck wheels means new tires... Those affordable rims become a $1300+ transaction.
    --
    stephen

fc
    Yeah man. I'm holding off on mods like that because I want a new bike. New truck wheels means new tires... Those affordable rims become a $1300+ transaction.
    DAMN MODS!!! I thought I was over it.

My wallet certainly is. I'll just say it's work-related and expense it all.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    One thought is adding a northshore-style crown mount bike holder to that style of bed rack leaving the bed open for gear.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Not a Taco but pretty damn similar! Here she is going up to a 4x4camping spot near Downieville after a day of riding.

A camping spot near Northstar

mtbr member
    Been loving mine this past year.

Gravel Creek TH @ Shasta 2016
    Taco envy-27935720346_497b142ea0_b.jpg

Yolla Bolly's 2016
    Taco envy-26263455965_a758820e97_b.jpg

Get to give my beloved Wrangler a break on certain trips.
    This Wrangler has been with me for the past 10+ years.

Hull Mt. 2016
    Taco envy-25702650320_37101ffde8_b.jpg

Hull Mt. 2016
    Taco envy-25370516134_80bf7630f9_b.jpg

The Tacoma is very useful for trips where the winch on the Jeep is overkill.
    The locking rear differential on the Tacoma is awesome!
    Plowed through some big drifts with that machine.

Love having both vehicles for multiple purposes...

Mendocino Pass 2016
    Taco envy-24290697226_8deee91c5c_b.jpg

fc
    Damnnnnnnnnnn. So much awesome. Shut the front door!!!
    IPA will save America

fc
    Good weekend with the taco.Taco envy-img_4573.jpg

Taco envy-img_9190.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Cornfield, it isn't too hard to make a Pre-runner a 4x4. Just search TTORA, Yotatech etc for someone getting rid of their IFS stuff after doing a SAS.

Upcyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by jochribs View Post
    Cornfield, it isn't too hard to make a Pre-runner a 4x4. Just search TTORA, Yotatech etc for someone getting rid of their IFS stuff after doing a SAS.
    I thought about doing that, and even keeping my old truck for parts. I was following a thread at Tacoma World about a guy who did it. In the end I decided that I'd just get a 2000 4x4 4Runner and make that my winter/off-road play vehicle and keep the Taco for my work truck.

Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Octane View Post
    I've used Blackstone Labs for engine oil testing for over 15 years. Do it on both the Daily Drivers, as well as the race cars, but for different purposes...

The Daily Drivers get the oil tested at each change. Monitor the numbers, take the recommendations, and extend the oil changes. Test again at the next, extended, oil change to see if we are still good with the extended oil change intervals. The cost of the test is offset by the doubling (or tripling, or quadrupling) the mileage between oil changes. YMMV, pun intended.

The Race Cars get oil changed on an hourly (not mileage) interval. One heavy event weekend will require an oil change and testing. We use specialty oils, Blackstone is familiar with their content, and the readings help show what is being "used up" in the oil, and what is being "left behind" in the oil. Ultimately we are trying to maximize the hours the engine lasts, and address any wear or rebuild before catastrophic failure. That is where the cost-benefit lies for us.

PM me if you have questions.
    Missed this when it was originally posted, but thanks for the response. I was wavering on whether to do the oil test, but this is what I needed to hear.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I thought about doing that, and even keeping my old truck for parts. I was following a thread at Tacoma World about a guy who did it. In the end I decided that I'd just get a 2000 4x4 4Runner and make that my winter/off-road play vehicle and keep the Taco for my work truck.
    I hear ya. The 2nd gen 4Runners are sweet. My other Taco is a 1st gen 2.7 4 banger with the front end like your Prerunner. That was the best grille I think. My second one is an 04 1st gen with the 3.4 and a stick, love these trucks.

Best trucks to work on too.

Besides there are some guys that have wheeled the Pre-runners in some rough territory successfully. They just use a little more speed, lol!!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Bought mine in Fresno last july. Avoided the Taco tax, and got it financed at a much better rate. Check out www.tacomaworld.com for upgrades and mods. Lots of useful information.Taco envy-img_0355.jpg
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

I averaged about 22mpg on my 2016 4WD automatic double cab Taco until I put on my rooftop tent, mounted a few inches above cab height. Mileage dropped to 20.5 over nearly 10000 miles cross-country and back, the return with two bikes on a hitch rack and a bed full of heavy stuff. Admittedly that's a lot of highway miles, but also included some off road in Moab, and multiple criss-crossings of the Continental Divide plus Sierras and Appalachians, and urban traffic in DC, New York etc. I haven't got the transmission TSB yet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    DA HELL? C'mon man. Renault??
    Renault owns Nissan. More interesting to me is that Mercedes is launching their branded version of the Frontier (known elsewhere as Navara). I doubt it will be sold in the US, but these global automotive collaborations are pretty amazing. It's like a Giant being sold as a Specialized, or something.

ask
    user
    Finally got my recalled leaf springs replaced by Toyota... next up, 2-3" lift. Now if Toytec would have a sale.

Name:  1477419872-D1CCAFF7-7497-48EE-9F6F-E0B6AEE2F140.png
Views: 475
Size:  225.2 KB

Captain One Lung Administrator
    The newest FLT mid-size group test.

That damn chin spoiler always messes up the off-road reviews for my truck. lol

Paper or plastic?
    To truck in style: http://blog.caranddriver.com/yes-the...-two-versions/

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    This thread says Taco. Not expensive garbage.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    The newest FLT mid-size group test.

That damn chin spoiler always messes up the off-road reviews for my truck. lol
    Love it. Like the Canyon, curious about that Honda.
    IPA will save America

Paper or plastic?
    Love it. Like the Canyon, curious about that Honda.
    If you're not into hardcore offroading, and don't need to haul heavy loads, the Honda is the best of the bunch.

Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    If you're not into hardcore offroading, and don't need to haul heavy loads, the Honda is the best of the bunch.

If you don't care about how it looks... win.
    IPA will save America

Air Pirate
    This thread says Taco. Not expensive garbage.
    Expensive garbage is right. Those MB trucks are just tarted up Nissans!
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

fc
    Ok, brakes... WTF?

So I'm switching between the Taco and the Crosstrek this week and the difference with braking and effort is a little too dramatic. Is there something I can do about the Taco brakes or do I just need to work out my braking foot? Or should I just stop switching cars.

My Crosstrek has now been de-racked and it looks nekkid.Taco envy-1-_dsc7962.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Ok, brakes... WTF?

So I'm switching between the Taco and the Crosstrek this week and the difference with braking and effort is a little too dramatic. Is there something I can do about the Taco brakes or do I just need to work out my braking foot? Or should I just stop switching cars.

My Crosstrek has now been de-racked and it looks nekkid.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-_DSC7962.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	181.9 KB 
ID:	1101967
    Well, what pads are on it? Hawk LTS have been pretty good on the 4runner. The taco will have old brake lines too - swapping them for braided stainless would definitely firm up the pedal.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Taco's generally have pretty powerful brakes in my experience. The calipers are pretty big in relation to the size of the truck. Not to mention that the rear drums need to be set up properly.

Probably not a bad idea to give a look see at the four corners and see what condition everything is in. The discs up front are simple. Drums can be a little tricky at first, but once you figure them out, it's really actually quite easy to dial them in. It might not be a bad idea to give your brake system a full bleed too.

I myself have always used the Toyota stuff. Nothing other than genuine goes on my trucks unless it has to do with my lifts. Stainless brakeline extensions aren't a bad idea though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    fc - I think we're twins cause we both went from Mini Crappers to Tacomas

I love my Tacoma, but I'm looking to go 4x4. I've got an 09 105k Prerunner SR5 for sale!

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by JHANguyen View Post
    fc - I think we're twins cause we both went from Mini Crappers to Tacomas

I love my Tacoma, but I'm looking to go 4x4. I've got an 09 105k Prerunner SR5 for sale!
    Ha, ha... awesome man!!! Where do you live?

Let's just say my drives on Santa Cruz through Highway 17 are different now. I don't think I'll get a speeding ticket.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtJunky View Post
    Well, what pads are on it? Hawk LTS have been pretty good on the 4runner. The taco will have old brake lines too - swapping them for braided stainless would definitely firm up the pedal.
    I don't frick'n know man. I may have to get in there? What are the best pads? Pedal effort is pretty high.

Maybe need to bleed it or change fluids? Can i get some XTR's?

I don't need them awesome. Just don't want to have to plan 3 days in advance to stop.
    IPA will save America

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast