Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213
Results 1,201 to 1,275 of 1275

Thread: Taco envy

Captain One Lung Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Define 'fantastic'.

I was under the impression that these pickup trucks are bad in slippy surfaces since their rwd and not much weight on the rear.

4wd work but one can't really turn. So it's only good for really loose. So all those wet, slippery situations have to be done in 2wd?
    DIRTJUNKIE nailed it.

Yes, the rear can be quite slippery due to the weight distribution of most trucks where the unladen bed is much lighter than the front of the truck. To help remedy this you can add weight to the rear in the form of sand bags or even "bags of water". This will put more down pressure on the rear tires and increase traction, especially while braking due to weight transfer shifting weight forward and off the rear tires under heavy braking.Free sand bags and sand can often be found at volunteer fire stations during flood season otherwise Home Depot, Lowes and Tractor Supply are good sources.

water bags can also be used and they are easy to adjust the weight and stow away when not needed but obviously limit what and how much you can put in the bed.
    Name:  51M0G8AX71L.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  33.8 KB

In really bad conditions on the highway, like driving to and from Tahoe you can leave the truck in 4wd Hi since you won't be driving over 65mph anyway and you won't be making sharp turns. 4wd really helps when taking corners in slippery conditions. In a pickup the back end is prone to losing traction and swinging around to come join the front end (oversteer). In 4wd or AWD the front tires will help pull the truck forward and keep the truck moving forward with the front leading. I live on very curvy steep roads that are sometimes covered in snow but even in the rain the back end of my "old" red truck liked to kick out on curves, especially with the Duratracs. I would run the truck in Auto 4wd (basically 2wd until it senses slip then goes to 4wd) and the truck would track nice and smooth in the same places that would cause oversteer in 2wd. You can feel the front tires working to pull the front end forward and keep the back end planted.

So don't be afraid to run it in 4wd Hi on the highway when the roads are covered in snow and your speeds are below 65mph. 65mph is not a hard limit for 4wd Hi but if you are able to travel faster than 65mph the roads probably are not slippery enough to warrant using 4wd anyway. You just don't want to run 4wd on traction heavy surfaces like dry pavement or your can do harm to the drivetrain. So get used to switching in and out of 4wd and use it when you need it. You are paying for the extra fuel to carry all that crap around even in the summer so get your money's worth out of it in winter! Plus it helps lube the system and keep it in good working order.

Good advice here:
    should either brake or turn but never try to do both at the same time when the roads are slick or icy. Brake first, slowly and cautiously, then lift off the brakes and turn, straighten the wheel, and then accelerate slowly and cautiously.
    Didn't Steve Peat say something similar with regards to MTB tires? Hehe

More reading:
    https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2016/0...stay-cool.html

https://autofile.ca/en-ca/auto-artic...cks-and-winter

Upcyclist
    When I lived in South lake Tahoe I'd drive to work in Glenbrook all winter long and never put any weight in the bed. 1st Gen Taco in 4wd high.

Once you get up into the snow go find an empty parking lot and practice! If you know what the truck will do when it breaks loose, and how to get it back under control, you'll be way better prepared for when it does it on the road.

Don't forget to do some donuts while you're at it!!
    By continuing to browse my posts, you agree to accept my use of cookies.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Does your Taco have a locking differential(s)?
    No locking diffs. Sooooo.... always unlocked, like most cars.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    DIRTJUNKIE nailed it.

Yes, the rear can be quite slippery due to the weight distribution of most trucks where the unladen bed is much lighter than the front of the truck. To help remedy this you can add weight to the rear in the form of sand bags or even "bags of water". This will put more down pressure on the rear tires and increase traction, especially while braking due to weight transfer shifting weight forward and off the rear tires under heavy braking.Free sand bags and sand can often be found at volunteer fire stations during flood season otherwise Home Depot, Lowes and Tractor Supply are good sources.

water bags can also be used and they are easy to adjust the weight and stow away when not needed but obviously limit what and how much you can put in the bed.
    Name:  51M0G8AX71L.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  33.8 KB

In really bad conditions on the highway, like driving to and from Tahoe you can leave the truck in 4wd Hi since you won't be driving over 65mph anyway and you won't be making sharp turns. 4wd really helps when taking corners in slippery conditions. In a pickup the back end is prone to losing traction and swinging around to come join the front end (oversteer). In 4wd or AWD the front tires will help pull the truck forward and keep the truck moving forward with the front leading. I live on very curvy steep roads that are sometimes covered in snow but even in the rain the back end of my "old" red truck liked to kick out on curves, especially with the Duratracs. I would run the truck in Auto 4wd (basically 2wd until it senses slip then goes to 4wd) and the truck would track nice and smooth in the same places that would cause oversteer in 2wd. You can feel the front tires working to pull the front end forward and keep the back end planted.

So don't be afraid to run it in 4wd Hi on the highway when the roads are covered in snow and your speeds are below 65mph. 65mph is not a hard limit for 4wd Hi but if you are able to travel faster than 65mph the roads probably are not slippery enough to warrant using 4wd anyway. You just don't want to run 4wd on traction heavy surfaces like dry pavement or your can do harm to the drivetrain. So get used to switching in and out of 4wd and use it when you need it. You are paying for the extra fuel to carry all that crap around even in the summer so get your money's worth out of it in winter! Plus it helps lube the system and keep it in good working order.

Good advice here:
    Didn't Steve Peat say something similar with regards to MTB tires? Hehe

More reading:
    https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2016/0...stay-cool.html

https://autofile.ca/en-ca/auto-artic...cks-and-winter
    Right on!! Really appreciate it

Obviously, just gotta drive it and experience it. But all your collective input helps. Gives me the confidence too on the first blizzard run.

So it won't be a rally snow car like a Subaru with snow tires but should be quite capable.
    IPA will save America

Limited slip is fine and in most on-road cases better for snow driving than an electronic locking rear diff which can cause a loss of traction when navigating slippery curves.

Again, good snow rated all-season and mild all-terrains are a huge help. Actual snow tires are the best.

Right on!! Really appreciate it

Obviously, just gotta drive it and experience it. But all your collective input helps. Gives me the confidence too on the first blizzard run.

So it won't be a rally snow car like a Subaru with snow tires but should be quite capable.
    Yup! and remember, I am not far from Tahoe (along i80) so if you ever get in a jam I can help or I have a number of friends who can. That's another bonus with being an Overland Bound member.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Weight on the rear of the truck is indeed key. Having a shell on the back helps.

I had the opportunity to drive my old school Taco in 4WD in the snow on fireroads in the Tahoe National Forest a few weeks back. It did fine, but I was careful not to take it up sections that were too deep or steep. And I went slow except when I needed momentum.

There is a Murphy's Law about 4WD: the better quality 4WD you have, the more remote you'll be when you get stuck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Even if you did, mine says only to use the locking rear diff in 4lo and you aren't going to be going more than ~10mph max in 4lo. Basically if you're having to reach for a locking rear diff in the snow I hope you have other recovery tools/gear at your disposal.

I don't drive frequently in the snow, but a 4x4 taco isn't going to be any worse than another equivalently equipped midsized truck.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    DIRTJUNKIE nailed it

^All great advice.
    I forgot to mention the importance of taking it out of 4 High when you do hit dry pavement again. Some run 4 High in rain but Ive never felt comfortable enough that the wheels have enough slip in order to prevent transfer case damage. When I lived in SoCal I often would get out and find some dirt to run it in 4wd just to keep it lubed up.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    This isn't rocket science guys. 4 Hi is going to be fine on most roads that have snow. Use your heads, you're not going to be able to drive 80 mph safely when it's snowy or icy. Remember, no abrupt maneuvers. Brake before turning and accelerate once out of the corner. If you lose traction let off the gas and the 4 wheels driving will get traction again. I would recommend finding somewhere to go where there is actual deep snow to play in. See what your truck can do, you will be surprised. It's also good practice. Don't forget to bring a friend and recovery gear in case you get stuck.

This picture was from a couple weeks ago. I hadn't even put it in 4wd at this point and still had 38 psi in my tires. I drove for miles like this.
    Taco envy-img_2262_50.jpg

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Daddy View Post

There is a Murphy's Law about 4WD: the better quality 4WD you have, the more remote you'll be when you get stuck.
    Love it!!
    IPA will save America

fc
    ^^ How about these bricks!

Attachment 1229559
    These bricks are $40 each. I need about...500 of them for $20k? Yeah #supreme
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisbtsc View Post
    This isn't rocket science guys. 4 Hi is going to be fine on most roads that have snow. Use your heads, you're not going to be able to drive 80 mph safely when it's snowy or icy. Remember, no abrupt maneuvers. Brake before turning and accelerate once out of the corner. If you lose traction let off the gas and the 4 wheels driving will get traction again. I would recommend finding somewhere to go where there is actual deep snow to play in. See what your truck can do, you will be surprised. It's also good practice. Don't forget to bring a friend and recovery gear in case you get stuck.

This picture was from a couple weeks ago. I hadn't even put it in 4wd at this point and still had 38 psi in my tires. I drove for miles like this.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2262_50.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	337.6 KB 
ID:	1229616
    Haha! I have seen in Tahoe, more than once, the fancy 4x4 stuck in a ditch, while a guy in something like this passes him by, with ski gear on top! The driver is what matter most.

Name:  images.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  8.6 KB

Moderator Moderator
    These bricks are $40 each. I need about...500 of them for $20k? Yeah #supreme
    Free decal included for $100 extra!

Moderator Moderator
    When I was in highschool I worked for my Dad's utilities construction company, driving big trucks and climbing high wire poles. As you can imagine, when it was terrible weather was when it was busy. The formula we used for snow/ice was heavy 4x4 truck, narrow snow tires, and locking differentials. You could take a bucket truck up some truly crazy stuff with this set up. My Tahoe has the electronic G80 lockers on it, will be interesting to see how it does in snow this year.

JC is right, don't accelerate in turns with locking diffs.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukas View Post
    Even if you did, mine says only to use the locking rear diff in 4lo and you aren't going to be going more than ~10mph max in 4lo. Basically if you're having to reach for a locking rear diff in the snow I hope you have other recovery tools/gear at your disposal.

I don't drive frequently in the snow, but a 4x4 taco isn't going to be any worse than another equivalently equipped midsized truck.
    Got the locking diff huh? So cool!!

Locking diff is pretty useless for driving. But for crawling, yes. Getting stuck, yes.
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator
    Got the locking diff huh? So cool!!

Locking diff is pretty useless for driving. But for crawling, yes. Getting stuck, yes.
    Very useful for towing.

My Tahoe has the electronic G80 lockers on it, will be interesting to see how it does in snow this year.
    Just for clarityfor those who are not familiar with lockers, the G80 is an auto locker instead of an e-locker. My truck uses the G80 and the ZR2 (as well as newer Tacos) use an e-locker. There are pros and cons to both. On road I'd rather have the auto locker. Off-road I really want an e-locker. Hahaha

Moderator Moderator
    ^^^ Ah, yes, auto-locker G80, not e-locker. I just assume everything on newer cars is 'electronic!'

I'm no expert on the mechanics of lockers, but I always thought the auto-locker is basically an LSD that locks once it reaches the limit of the slip differential?

Upcyclist
    I still haven't figured out what the rear locker on my 2wd TRD Taco is useful for.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    I still haven't figured out what the rear locker on my 2wd TRD Taco is useful for.
    On a 2WD I would think it would be useful for things like, pulling a boat up a launch ramp, going up a steep slippery driveway etc.

Moderator Moderator
    One thing I've noticed on most newer 4x4's is the manufacturer recommending to NOT use tire chains due to clearance issues. I find this absolutely absurd.

used to be RipRoar
    Getting sideways and doing dougnuts

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    ^^^ Ah, yes, auto-locker G80, not e-locker. I just assume everything on newer cars is 'electronic!'

I'm no expert on the mechanics of lockers, but I always thought the auto-locker is basically an LSD that locks once it reaches the limit of the slip differential?
    Iirc it's a ratchet system that allows the outer wheel to move faster as needed (turning), while remaining locked under all other situations.

mtbr member
    Taco envy-taco1.jpg
    had a tacoma, moved to denver and didn't need two vehicles (+car payment) between my wife and I so got rid of it.

Taco envy-img_3553.jpg
    moved to SF, needed (wanted) a truck again, decided to switch it up for half the price

Taco envy-f100.jpg
    and it's got a diesel in it, so I get the same or better mpg's.

Name:	IMG_2262_50.jpg 
Size:	337.6 KB 
ID:	1229616
    Yep, yep & yep. Growing up in snowy areas teaches you all of the above in a hurry. If you have any adventure in your personality it doesnt matter what vehicle you are in you can get it through the snow with some finess. My old GTO was quite fun in the snow even with these tires, of course those were my younger days.

Taco envy-a3833d0c-5c00-4a46-932d-c9fd0df09c57.jpg

I lived at the top of a mountain in Colorado. A dirt road with 45 incline. I used to have to park this gem at the bottom if I couldnt make it up. Id always give it a go though. The dirt road was only 2 lanes wide with a 10 ditch on one side and a 40 cliff on the other. Id finess this 500 HP beast up until it started to stall out without traction. At the last minute knowing I wasnt going to make it Id crank the wheel and punch it then let off at the right time. A 180 spin around then drive back down. Park it at the bottom and walk up to the house.

Theres no excuses with the vehicle its all in the drivers snow driving experience.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Upcyclist
    On a 2WD I would think it would be useful for things like, pulling a boat up a launch ramp, going up a steep slippery driveway etc.
    I was curious enough to look into it further, found a video I remember watching before, probably when I got the truck. It's very useful if you get stuck in sand or whatever and one tire is spinning. I know Pre-runners with all the fenders and such were really popular like 5-10 years ago, but I don't understand the benefit of not having 4wd. I really miss my 4wd.

Forgot the vid: https://youtu.be/yMLHtApOCwc

Quote Originally Posted by TraxFactory View Post
    Getting sideways and doing dougnuts

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    Thanks! I'm so glad I asked, lol!

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukas View Post

They're either locking differentials, or they're not. It's not possible to "only use in 4L" (unless you have an ARB or similar driver-controlled locker). A normal locking differential is really not going to be your friend on the street. A limited slip differential (either clutch type or ramp type) gives you the best of all worlds.

An ARB or electronically controlled locker is really going to be pretty much an off road/ trail use engagement only.
    Why Johnny Ringo, you look like someone just walked over your grave.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    They're either locking differentials, or they're not. It's not possible to "only use in 4L" (unless you have an ARB or similar driver-controlled locker). A normal locking differential is really not going to be your friend on the street. A limited slip differential (either clutch type or ramp type) gives you the best of all worlds.

An ARB or electronically controlled locker is really going to be pretty much an off road/ trail use engagement only.
    Yep, in a nutshell.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:40 PM.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post

Thank you. That clarifies it.

My Traxxas TRX4 rc crawler has remote locking front and rear diffs and I now fully understand what each does... in a small scale, what their benefits and weaknesses are.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Yep, Im a nutshell.
    So in a nutshell, you're a nutshell.
    IPA will save America

So in a nutshell, you're a nutshell.
    LOL
    Gotta love Apple spell check.

Moderator Moderator

Name:	A3833D0C-5C00-4A46-932D-C9FD0DF09C57.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	211.5 KB 
ID:	1229628
    69 GTO Judge! Very nice. Now I get your profile pic!

mtbr member

Love my taco

Lots of nice rigs in this thread! Mine is a 2003 TRD xtra cab, 3.4, 5 speed, 4wd, locking rear dif, tow package. Bought new in Cedar Rapids, Iowa after looking for 6 months for a deal on a used one. The dealer had a $3 below invoice deal, and Toyota had a $1k rebate, so the purchase price was less than an example one or two years old at the time. The third day I had it a hail storm dinged up the roof and hood. Haven't had to replace anything other than oxygen sensors and of course the timing belt at 90k. Couple years ago I did swap out the leaf springs, shackles, shocks, and suspension bushings for Old Man Emu stuff, which also gave me a bit of lift. The locking dif is helpful to get out of trouble i.e., get unstuck, or to get through mud or over stuff if I'm afraid of getting stuck. 2wd with a locking dif and a little lift is a good configuration for a lot of folks, as the trucks are really capable as 2wd. It's basic, it's not very comfortable, it doesn't get great gas mileage, but I can't imagine I'll ever sell it.
    Taco envy-img_0295.jpg
    Shown with geared bike and old copy of Dubliners in the door...all the map one needs, really.
    Last edited by fc; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:24 AM.

69 GTO Judge! Very nice. Now I get your profile pic!
    Yep, I let that one get away.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:39 PM.

Yep, I let let that get away.
    Remind me to slap you when I see you.

Remind me to slap you when I see you.
    Yep, depressing. Whats really depressing is that it was a Ram Air IV car. That being the motor. Only 759 were built with the Ram Air IV motor in 1969. The highest HP output motor GTO made for production. Plus I recently found out the original color which was called espresso brown. They only made 51 Ram Air IV cars in that color. Mine we obviously repainted to black with blue pearl but if I had it today Id take it back to factory original. Highly rare and desirable car today.

Heres one in that original espresso brown color.

Sorry boys for going off topic.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by babybabe View Post
    Lots of nice rigs in this thread! Mine is a 2003 TRD xtra cab, 3.4, 5 speed, 4wd, locking rear dif, tow package. Bought new in Cedar Rapids, Iowa after looking for 6 months for a deal on a used one. The dealer had a $3 below invoice deal, and Toyota had a $1k rebate, so the purchase price was less than an example one or two years old at the time. The third day I had it a hail storm dinged up the roof and hood. Haven't had to replace anything other than oxygen sensors and of course the timing belt at 90k. Couple years ago I did swap out the leaf springs, shackles, shocks, and suspension bushings for Old Man Emu stuff, which also gave me a bit of lift. The locking dif is helpful to get out of trouble i.e., get unstuck, or to get through mud or over stuff if I'm afraid of getting stuck. 2wd with a locking dif and a little lift is a good configuration for a lot of folks, as the trucks are really capable as 2wd. It's basic, it's not very comfortable, it doesn't get great gas mileage, but I can't imagine I'll ever sell it.

Name:	IMG_0295.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	352.2 KB 
ID:	1229694
    Shown with geared bike and old copy of Dubliners in the door...all the map one needs, really.
    Nice man. This was the truck I was looking for when I first started hunting. Very hard to find a good one.

How much money then? How many miles now?
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Just for clarity for those who are not familiar with lockers, the G80 is an auto locker instead of an e-locker. My truck uses the G80 and the ZR2 (as well as newer Tacos) use an e-locker..
    The G80 is a LSD with an RPM threshold The main reason you see auto mfg's use e-lockers, or G80 type LSD is due to anti-lock/anti-roll braking required on new cars and light trucks.

This technology essentially requires open diff's to keep from binding or breaking drive-line parts when your yaw sensor, or other driving condition calls for a single wheel to brake in order to stop the vehicle from an out of control skid.

Toyota, which I believe this thread is still about, uses the Anti-lock braking controls, pumped to individual wheels - to shift power to a non-spinning wheel.

Auto-LSD and A-TRAC are Toyota's traction control products and are dash-switch controlled. If you own a Taco that has either one of these features, learn how it works and what conditions it's best suited for. You'll be surprised how well it get you through some crud. The e-locking rear diff on Taco's was never meant for crawling but simply to help un-stick a stuck Taco.

Moderator Moderator
    This seems pretty cool.

This seems pretty cool.

Too bad the stock tires suck for that application. Great demo though.

mtbr member
    Nice man. This was the truck I was looking for when I first started hunting. Very hard to find a good one.

How much money then? How many miles now?
    Thanks, man. It's a good utility vehicle. The one you picked up is better in at least a few ways. Lots of small improvements all around, not to mention the interior design and seats. That's a great rig, and you ought to be comfortable in it for a long time.

I dug out my paperwork: paid 21,670 before tax, title and license fees, which were 1,184. I think the msrp on that truck was about 25k before tax and fees--much less than now! This one has 136k+ Starting to look for a used topper of the right sort...

fc
    Only problem with the taco is people ask you to move their schit.

Taco envy-img_1296.jpg

Cool thing with this Randybuilt rack is modular. Pop tent off, take off crossbar...
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Grabbed an 18 TRD Sport 4x4 quadcab with 6 ft bed yesterday. Got a great deal as the dealer was looking to get rid of the 18s! Will post a pic once the rain stops. Coming down like crazy in the east bay.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Nice! What was your OTD price? Also Tacomaworld is a great forum for all things tacos

Moderator Moderator
    That's a sweet ride. You can get some crazy deals on most 2018's right now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by whit_worth View Post
    Nice! What was your OTD price? Also Tacomaworld is a great forum for all things tacos
    Including taxes, licenses, financing charges (1.9% for 60 mos.) OTD was $38,800. Pre-taxes / financing paid $35,120. Will be nice to no longer be driving the wife's minivan to the trailhead!

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Endubro45 View Post
    Including taxes, licenses, financing charges (1.9% for 60 mos.) OTD was $38,800. Pre-taxes / financing paid $35,120. Will be nice to no longer be driving the wife's minivan to the trailhead!
    That's a good deal. No longer driving wife's minivan = priceless!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    That's a good deal. No longer driving wife's minivan = priceless!
    For sure haha. According to Truecar it was well-below median price paid in the Bay Area.

Moderator Moderator
    So what was the result of the tire testing?

Photos or it didnt happen.

Congrats. sounds like a killer deal.

So what was the result of the tire testing?
    Pretty good! I went pretty far in the snow before needing to put it in 4wd. Eventually the hills were just steep enough that the back end started drifting. As the snow reached over 1ft I noticed I was drifting more than Trevor's Taco with KO2s but just as I started to bum out he started drifting in spots I had solid traction in. And so it went for the rest of the day.

I declared him the winner when we started up a climb and I was taking photos, while driving, and when my back end started heading left I didn't lift off the throttle fast enough and put the drivers rear tire in the "ditch". That require 4wh Lo and couple Drive/Reverse cycles and steering the fronts back and forth to extract myself. But then on the next hill he lost momentum and started spinning so we had to back down and try again. In the end neither of us had any real trouble until he couldn't stop while turning off the highway. For all-terrains both tires worked well when you're paying attention.

They handled the mud and puddles without a problem.
    Taco envy-m7ohfkt.jpg

Taco envy-wpivh8a.jpg

Taco envy-72i701h.jpg

mtbr member
    Pretty good! I went pretty far in the snow before needing to put it in 4wd. Eventually the hills were just steep enough that the back end started drifting. As the snow reached over 1ft I noticed I was drifting more than Trevor's Taco with KO2s but just as I started to bum out he started drifting in spots I had solid traction in. And so it went for the rest of the day.

I declared him the winner when we started up a climb and I was taking photos, while driving, and when my back end started heading left I didn't lift off the throttle fast enough and put the drivers rear tire in the "ditch". That require 4wh Lo and couple Drive/Reverse cycles and steering the fronts back and forth to extract myself. But then on the next hill he lost momentum and started spinning so we had to back down and try again. In the end neither of us had any real trouble until he couldn't stop while turning off the highway. For all-terrains both tires worked well when you're paying attention.

They handled the mud and puddles without a problem.

Name:	M7ohfKT.jpg 
Size:	506.7 KB 
ID:	1232323

Name:	wpIVH8A.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	408.8 KB 
ID:	1232325

Name:	72i701h.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	515.9 KB 
ID:	1232326
    But, did you air down?

But, did you air down?
    I didn't feel the need. Well, when I was momentarily stuck I considered it as my next move but the rest of the time the traction I had felt sufficient for such a short run. We both carry compressors and usually air down so I realize the benefits. Yesterday I just ran 30/27psi instead of 18psi which I usually run off-road. Neither of us run beadlocks.

And.... After we stopped to help this guy fix his snow chains that broke and escorted him half way to Nevada City, Trevor decided to make Caltrans work. See the video above. But in one of the photos I took after they pulled him out I saw the same guy driving past us. lol

Taco envy-enneksc.jpg

Taco envy-k3rbjlq.jpg

Moderator Moderator
    ^^^ Great stuff right there!

A funny story: A friend of mine grew up in Buffalo where winter is pretty tough. On the way home from a Sabres game with his mom and friends, he got a flat. Imagine a mom, and several small kids in blizzard conditions. A car stops, and the guy jumps out and fixes the flat. Turns out it was one of the Sabres players! NHL'ers are a tough breed!

^^^ Great stuff right there!

A funny story: A friend of mine grew up in Buffalo where winter is pretty tough. On the way home from a Sabres game with his mom and friends, he got a flat. Imagine a mom, and several small kids in blizzard conditions. A car stops, and the guy jumps out and fixes the flat. Turns out it was one of the Sabres players! NHL'ers are a tough breed!
    I was born in Rochester NY not too far from Buffalo, the snow belt. We had 3 snowmobiles at all times in the family on a rotating basis. The blizzards back there are serious business. Many motorists stranded during them. My dad and older brother would go out on snowmobile and rescue the stranded. Always offered tips but never would take them. A great feeling to pull them from the brink of disaster.

Looks like good times were had by all, JC.

I was born in Rochester NY not too far from Buffalo, the snow belt. We had 3 snowmobiles at all times in the family on a rotating basis. The blizzards back there are serious business. Many motorists stranded during them. My dad and older brother would go out on snowmobile and rescue the stranded. Always offered tips but never would take them. A great feeling to pull them from the brink of disaster.

Looks like good times were had by all, JC.
    Definitely! Haha

I was dumbfounded when I realized I had taken out all of my tools and emergency fix type materials (bailing wire, duct tape, metal links etc.) when I was trying to track down a rattle last week and forgot to put them back in the truck. Thankfully the guy had a cheap pair of pliers and an extra rubber snow chain cinching "cable" with metal S hooks. I removed a couple S hooks and bent them into shape to reattach his snow chain.

People who live in the snow belt are generally much better prepared than I was. lol

Definitely! Haha

I was dumbfounded when I realized I had taken out all of my tools and emergency fix type materials (bailing wire, duct tape, metal links etc.) when I was trying to track down a rattle last week and forgot to put them back in the truck. Thankfully the guy had a cheap pair of pliers and an extra rubber snow chain cinching "cable" with metal S hooks. I removed a couple S hooks and bent them into shape to reattach his snow chain.

People who live in the snow belt are generally much better prepared than I was. lol
    Did you locate the rattle? My 2006 Taco, Sport, Quad cab, 4X4 has always been rattle free. Recently its developed a rattle somewhere [it seems] on the driver side dashboard. I have yet to figure it out and its driving me crazy. Good thing my stereo jams.

Any suggestions, anybody?

Did you locate the rattle? My 2006 Taco, Sport, Quad cab, 4X4 has always been rattle free. Recently its developed a rattle somewhere [it seems] on the driver side dashboard. I have yet to figure it out and its driving me crazy. Good thing my stereo jams.

Check your ebrake pull handle, brake lever attachment bolt and any computer modules behind the dash. Also check your glove box attachments or even remove your glove box entirely and drive around. Noises are tricky and can sound like it's emanating from one side but it's really on the other. I'll ask Trevor since he has a 2005 Taco.

I didn't find my rattle but I did find my horrible clunk when the suspension articulates. I found the solution and it only cost a few bucks! Turns out the 2 upper leaf springs clunk against each other when 1 side of the suspension compresses and the other extends like going up a steep driveway. A bunch of other people had similar issues and the fix is an 1/8" piece of rubber sandwiched between the ends of those two leafs. I went from sounding like I had a broken leaf to silence! What's wild is the sound sounded like it was coming from the rear AND front.

12" x 12" x 1/8" sheet of rubber. Bought at Ace Hardware in the plumbing section.
    Taco envy-ema6jzc.jpg

Cut to 2.5" by 6" strips and glued to the bottom leaf.
    Taco envy-yr4powl.jpg

Upcyclist

Google: tacomaworld 2nd gen driver side dashboard rattle

Ill get on that soon. Thanks for the suggestions. Ive never noticed a leaf spring clunk. There is a frame rust recall on my 2006. Not sure what other years but Ive been putting it off for a year or so. Mainly for trucks in cold snowy climates, which mine has been since I left SoCAL 6 years ago.

Moderator Moderator
    And.... After we stopped to help this guy fix his snow chains that broke and escorted him half way to Nevada City, Trevor decided to make Caltrans work. See the video above. But in one of the photos I took after they pulled him out I saw the same guy driving past us. lol

Name:	ENNeksc.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	369.1 KB 
ID:	1232370

Name:	k3rBjLQ.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	332.2 KB 
ID:	1232371
    Ever seen these? Snow chains for your boots!

Taco envy-screen-shot-2019-01-07-4.38.48-pm.jpg

Google: tacomaworld 2nd gen driver side dashboard rattle
    Aint nobody got time fo dat.

Upcyclist
    Aint nobody got time fo dat.
    You can lead a horse to water...

My dash is rattle free!

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Wow great deal!

mtbr member
    Car forum - this is getting out of control

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Daddy View Post

Lol

That is pretty funny. Looks like Sandra Bullocks brother.

Moderator Moderator
    This is pretty cool.....

used to be RipRoar
    The driver is what matter most.

Name:  images.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  8.6 KB
    no doubt, its a classic one for sure....studded tires amazing if you live in snow all season on 1 wheel drives...

mtbr member
    This is cool!

These guys always put together the best "Overland" Trip Reports! Tons of great photos, awesome trails and always and adventure. Prepare to settle down for while to read the entire thing.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...t-2018.584918/

or read them here on the Adventure Taco page:
    https://adventuretaco.com/tag/big-trip-start/

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213