Table Mountain singletrack (Stevens Canyon)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Table Mountain singletrack (Stevens Canyon)

There is a short, steep section in Table Mountain trail with a deep water rut with nasty tree root steps in the center of the rut and rocks lining the sides. Any of you guys able to clear this section without stopping? (Of course, this is going uphill only... we know Table Mountain is one way only.) You guys/gals know which part I'm talking about?

I can never get past this section without nearly flipping the bike on my ass or barely falling off into the ravine because I couldn't clip out of my pedals in time.

Just wondering, if any of you have made it through, what's your technique? Hammer through it or do some fancy freestyle BMX move to hop up the "stairs"?

TIA

fc
    head minion Administrator
    That is always a nice challenge. And it changes every year depending on the rainy season since it's a natural water line.

I haven't seen it in a couple years so I'm not sure how hard it is right now.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Yeah, IMHO that section looks pretty bad this year. Let me know what you think of it the next time you cross there.

I just wanted to see if it's something that was do-able or not. It's something that I'll work on during the summer. Will give it a few more shots, if not, I'll acknowledge my limitations and gracefully accept defeat.

More pie please
    Quote Originally Posted by beaverbiker
    get out of the saddle and charge all the way up it. take the left line.
    I have always considered this obstacle impossible but today I felt inspired by this thread so I tried beaverbiker's advise. It took a few tries but I did it! Yay!!!

On the trail leading up to this bit, there is an easy line to the right, and the historic, difficult (root, ruts, and rocks) alignment to the left...does anyone ever ride up the left path???

///Charlie

Picture of the subject rut/root on Table Mtn Trail:

Last edited by Skyline35; 06-11-2008 at 08:51 PM. Reason: typo
    Long live long rides

~~~~~~~
    right up the middle baby. that's my line and i'm sticking to it. but i can see how the left line could be cleaned.

mtbr member

The rut has been filled in some years

and that makes it much easier to ride! Then the rains come and it is washed to look more like the picture. Over the years, trailwork has done much to this section (I'm not sure it was through any land manager) but overall it looks cleaned up compared to years past.

It was 1995 that I started riding it. I love Table Mountain but don't seem to get there as much lately. 2 long days of work, I might just have to cut it short tomorrow and check it out along with the new wheel I found inside my front door at 10om tonight. Sun-Ringle took my 3 year old, never been serviced (what's that) and replaced it. I had contacted them so I could buy the parts to fix it and never expected this!

So cool!

Kat

190lbs of climber
    Today I charged straight up the rut and hopped the rear wheel as I went up it. I'll try the left line Friday.
    ye' old trailblog: www.most-excellent-adventures.com THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    No big surprise here: Curtis, Menso and Charlie (!!) can ride it, but most are probably like me and get off their bike without even trying when they see this section.
    Just making it up all the switchbacks on Table Mountain before reaching this section is quite an accomplishment.
    - J.L.
    Also known as Menso's dad.

Let's ride
    Yep, straight up the middle.

VRC Illuminati
    Its not too bad IIRC. Haven't done it since last year.

Get your momentum up and power through it.

If you're granny gear and approach it slow, you're dead in the water.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

Sep 2007
    to the guys that ride over this... do you time your pedal strokes? cause i'm pretty sure you can peg your pedals here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    If anyone has more pics of this section and trail, please post. I have not been there, but imagine it is steeper that the pic above portrays.

Somewhat OT - I am planning on exploring more area trails this summer as I rehab my broken foot (off bike since Sea Otter). I have been to most east/north bay parks, but not the south side or penn. What do you think of starting a bay area (or nor cal) top 10 list? Or maybe a top 10 XC list and a top 10 DH list? While the MTBR trail description is helpful, I think a ranking would be too.

Silence! I kill you!
    I've cleaned it a couple times by going straight through the middle.
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by acuracer
    to the guys that ride over this... do you time your pedal strokes? cause i'm pretty sure you can peg your pedals here.

Either with enough speed to carry up and over with pedals level, or 'ratchet' a bit to get the pedal position right.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Menso: Clean Coe Ridge Trail from White Tank Springs to Coit Lake and you'll forever be my hero.

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemonkey
    I've cleaned it a couple times by going straight through the middle.
    Me too.

But I've never done it going up.

遅すぎ
    Apr 2008
    I tried this today for the first time, if by trying you mean pushing your bike on the line you wish you could take while you walk in the middle

Just a question, but from the map and my observation today, the single track portion that this is on seems like it's two way, and it's just the steep fire road that links up with the gap trail (Charcoal Mountain?) which has the uphill only traffic sign. Although I guess the only way to ride it down legally would be to ride it up and then back down?

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Does everyone agree that we should leave the trail this way and not sanitize it? I mean what's wrong with difficult sections of trails right?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

What u guys think of this idea?

maybe we should put several 2x4s across leading to the big root so its kinda like smaller step ups instead of on big one that like to play russian roulette with your pedals.

mtbr member
    I hope you're joking.

~~~~~~~
    i think we should remove all of the rocks in the trail leading up to it so that you don't have to think as you approach it and its easy to keep your line. maybe the root should be removed too, or the trail could be widened so that there is an easy way around it.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt_Diggler
    i think we should remove all of the rocks in the trail leading up to it so that you don't have to think as you approach it and its easy to keep your line. maybe the root should be removed too, or the trail could be widened so that there is an easy way around it.
    pave it.....then add guardrail.....and a small rest area in case you get winded.....and definitely an emergency phone......
    Click Here for Forum Rules

~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM
    pave it.....then add guardrail.....and a small rest area in case you get winded.....and definitely an emergency phone......
    are you mocking me! i was being serious.

i do think a vending machine would be nice- especially if it has those moon pies.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt_Diggler
    are you mocking me! i was being serious.

i do think a vending machine would be nice- especially if it has those moon pies.
    now i'm hungry.....dammit....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Click Here for Forum Rules

~~~~~~~
    mmmmm...chocolate

ride ride ride
    Apr 2008
    Another vote for right through the middle ... on that one, and on the other (bigger) one too.
    Put front over and shove your bike forward. Works like a charm.

mtbr member
    Hahahahahahaha

More pie please

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! It's easy peasy now

Quote Originally Posted by rsato1
    There is a short, steep section in Table Mountain trail with a deep water rut with nasty
    tree root steps in the center of the rut and rocks lining the sides. Any of you guys able
    to clear this section without stopping? (Of course, this is going uphill only... we know
    Table Mountain is one way only.) You guys/gals know which part I'm talking about?

I can never get past this section without nearly flipping the bike on my ass or barely
    falling off into the ravine because I couldn't clip out of my pedals in time.

Just wondering, if any of you have made it through, what's your technique? Hammer
    through it or do some fancy freestyle BMX move to hop up the "stairs"?

TIA
    Today I rode up Table Mountain Trail for the first time in a couple months and this
    obstacle is gone! The rut has been filled in and there is now a smooth ramp up and
    over the root. The yellow arrow points to the location of the root:

For contrast, I'll repost post my photo from 2008:

I know 2 months ago this rut looked just the same as 2008.

I don't think I have ever cleaned that since my couple of successes in 2008, shrug...
    ///Charlie
    Last edited by Skyline35; 06-23-2011 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Clarification
    Long live long rides

King Of Tooth Tarter

Hurray!!!

Good to know this was fixed. Easy peasy indeed. I can still hear Plim uttering these exact near-words. I'll have to check it out.

Roy.

Members who have read this thread: 0