Sunday ride - Sierra Road to Calaveras- Mtbr.com
    fc
    head minion Administrator

Sunday ride - Sierra Road to Calaveras

The Sunday ride is roadie. It is roadie cause trails are no good. There's some decent trails but they might as well be road. It's Sierra Road cause it's steep and it's dry. That place gets a lot of sun and not a lot of debris.

It's about 35 miles, 4000 feet. 9:30 at Rox's house in Milpitas. Rox, where do you live? Reply to this and we'll get you the address.

Anybody got photos of this ride or Sierra Road? Last time Levi climbed it I think it only took 17 minutes.

Road, cross and mtb bikes are welcome. The rides are always intermediate. But this one is out and back so even if you get left behind or get ahead, we'll catch back up to you.

fc
    IPA will save America

Puro Vida!
    I'm in thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by francois

Anybody got photos of this ride or Sierra Road? Last time Levi climbed it I think it only took 17 minutes.

fc
    Sierra:

Calaveras:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sunday ride - Sierra Road to Calaveras-calaveras.jpg  

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

fc
    We need more spandex clad roadies. C'mon. This ride is way more entertaining than Kennedy.

Don't make me call the roadies of roadbikereview.

At the end of Calaveras is a road called Welch Creek. We can even have a peak. That is the steepest road in all the land.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Will see if I can make it, always looking for a reason to put on my tights....

fc
    fotos. The black top steep road is Welch Creek. It is steeper than Bohlman/Onorbit. We'll only go there if you really really want.

From 1-12-2010 sierra road

IPA will save America

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    cool ive never been up welch creek. im not wearin no tights though

Puro Vida!
    Ive been looking for just the ride ride to debut my aero skin suit! What's the estimated start and finish time please!

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson34
    Ive been looking for just the ride ride to debut my aero skin suit! What's the estimated start and finish time please!
    9:30 to 12:30. You have a road bike?

fc
    IPA will save America

padded

Tentative

ooh - cool, I've never climbed Sierra from that side. I was going to do a fixie ride up Calaveras from the other direction that day, but may break out the geared bike and join you instead. MsWheels is under the weather so I won't know until Sat night if I can get away Sunday a.m., but put me down with a question mark.
    "You are by far the most interesting single-serving friend I have ever met."

Puro Vida!
    Yup-im road ready and dying to ride-been working like a dog and eating like a pig!

IPAs make me wanna puke.
    Dec 2004
    Sorry man. Too early for my lazy ass. Plus, any time the amount of climbing gets mentioned in a thread, I know it's a warning to me.
    My presence would be the equivalent of painting lamb's blood on your frame, causing the "angel of crash" to nail me instead.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I'm in. On my commuter bike. Did the King of the Mountain ride last year. It was a really fun event. I recommend. Excellent food (paella) afterward.
    Can we talk tires now?

Urban Ninja
    Damn. Gotta work Sunday. Gonna do something big today on the road bike.

fc
    That is too bad Jeng! You doing your century on Saturday?? It will be good to have The Law around. Can you pull up yet? Tell Dan51 to to drive to the top and get some food ready for us.

Bustamove, Mark59 are coming. Maybe Rox too cause it's his house.

Dr. Wheels and Dutch Biker, quit farting around. The sun is out, the trails are wet from last night's downpour and it's gonna rain next week. All week. Not a hard rain, just that pissing all day that will crush the spirit.

Your goal is to make it to the top faster than 70-year old man Reynante. Where's that photo of mine? 35 minutes.

fc
    IPA will save America

fc
    Here's the great pineapplebob

And here's the old man who trained his son to fly up the hills
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I may join this ride. Can you pm me the address or better yet; Francis, let's carpool there.

Thanks, J.L.
    Also known as Menso's dad.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by JL de Jong
    I may join this ride. Can you pm me the address or better yet; Francis, let's carpool there.

Thanks, J.L.
    Sounds good. Can you pick me up at 8:45 in the am? Do you have a vehicle larger than a Cooper??

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    This sounds awesome, but I put in 28 miles ant 3800 footies at Fort Ord today on the MTB - I'm a little spent. Also suposed to be celebrating a b-day tonight so drinking may be involved later this evening.

But a Road ride sounds good. I need to get that thing off the trainer

But we'll see.

I have a big SUV and can carry four riders and four bikes. Is there a pre-meet carpool spot from Mountain View area?

Still not sure if im going but...

Let's ride
    Hey, where's the meet up spot?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    BTW, What's Rox serving up for breakfast?
    Can we talk tires now?

Let's ride
    Quote Originally Posted by The Law
    BTW, What's Rox serving up for breakfast?
    Rox, how about some lox?

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    how about some rocks in a box?

you can ride to starbucks in about 30 seconds if you need to grab something.

Let's ride
    What's the route?

Rox casa, piedmont, sierra, felter, calaveras, felter, sierra, piedmont, rox casa?

You said an out/back, but it seems like a loop would be really well suited considering where we's startin.

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    http://www.mapmyrun.com/route/us/ca/...26491130157588 part of it is a loop but the part along the resevoir is an out and back. you can make that a loop too but it involves some not so pleasant riding down hwy 84.

~~~
    I was gonna do a ride out to Tiburon, but I've never been up Sierra and Calaveras....

I'm tempted to make the drive down and join you guys. Where's the rox cave?

bike dork extraordinaire
    I'm thinking about joining you guys, but after having Rox breathe down my neck last weekend going up Hicks, I'm not sure I want to repeat the torture on Sierra...

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by sirkrameroy
    I'm thinking about joining you guys, but after having Rox breathe down my neck last weekend going up Hicks, I'm not sure I want to repeat the torture on Sierra...
    You're the incumbent King of the Mountains. You have the moral responsibility to show up and give others a shot.

Tburger, it's time for you to show up. Rensho, stop talking like you're actually gonna show up

FSRGuy, what are you talking about? Just show up!

Anyone who's interested but doesn't have the address, just meet us at the bottom of Sierra road at around 9:45. It's gonna be sweet!

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I was kind of hoping for pannycakes and hashbrowns. Starbucks doesn't have that.

Looks like a fast group. I'll bring up the rear.
    Can we talk tires now?

Let's ride
    Rensho, stop talking like you're actually gonna show up

fc
    Hey now...I have a reputation to uphold.

fc
    IPA will save America

bike dork extraordinaire
    Nice photos, Francis!

That was a sweet ride. Railing Calaveras road was a treat. Today completely reaffirmed why I live here!

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    good riding with everyone. glad we were able to make it out in such a beautiful break in the weather. a selection:

IMG_2839

IMG_2843

IMG_2842

IMG_2849

IMG_2850

IMG_2863

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Great ride today. First time up Sierra for me: 33 1/2 minutes of pain and suffering... It was well worth it, as the pictures can attest to. Let's hope we'll have another break in the weather next weekend. Mount Hamilton, anyone?
    Thanks, J.L.

~~~
    "The Look 2"

rox, please remember to give me credit when this photo becomes one of the greatest moments in sports history.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sunday ride - Sierra Road to Calaveras-img_3844.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Thanks for letting me tag along. So out of shape.
    Can we talk tires now?

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    wow cool pic tburger. great moment: rox looks back to gauge his fellow riders, err i mean to make sure he doesnt crash into anyone.

the law: you dont give yourself enough credit. thanks for coming out and sorry about the pancakes

jl: jeez its too soon to start talking about that. can you at least wait a couple days until im not tired before i start contemplating a hill 5 times as long?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Looks like fun! Nice smooth road up and nice weather! But I was at the Early Bird Crit though, maybe next time.

Francois, no need to go to roadbikereview, I can be converted into a full clad roadie, minus my mountain bike helmet

fc
    IPA will save America

J
    ROOOOOOOO
    Not one helmet visor amongst them.

fc
    scenes...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sunday ride - Sierra Road to Calaveras-img_8442.jpg  

Sunday ride - Sierra Road to Calaveras-img_8456.jpg  

Sunday ride - Sierra Road to Calaveras-img_8458.jpg  

Sunday ride - Sierra Road to Calaveras-img_8465.jpg  

Sunday ride - Sierra Road to Calaveras-img_8468.jpg  

Sunday ride - Sierra Road to Calaveras-img_8471.jpg  

Sunday ride - Sierra Road to Calaveras-img_8473.jpg  

Sunday ride - Sierra Road to Calaveras-img_8475.jpg  

Sunday ride - Sierra Road to Calaveras-img_8476.jpg  

Sunday ride - Sierra Road to Calaveras-img_8479.jpg  

IPA will save America

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by J
    Not one helmet visor amongst them.
    I was rockin the visor AND a CamelPak, but due to too much hand pain I had to bail about mile 5. Looks like I missed out on a nice ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The first initial climb up Sierra is a doozy. Good work guys - I think my bro and I will be hitting it up in a few weekends if we don't do his "Mountain Charlie Loop".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan51
    I was rockin the visor AND a CamelPak, but due to too much hand pain I had to bail about mile 5. Looks like I missed out on a nice ride.
    you hand would have been fine if you followed the dress code. but the roadie gods decided to punish you.

fc
    It's like that and that's the way it is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5qfSUaQPIA
    "Mommy the kids are teasing me."
    "Shut up and put your lycra kit on."

Ok, it's like this:
    ----
    We met up at Rox's house and it was obvious there was going to be a good turnout despite the lack of catered breakfast. Rox, thought he could just pump up his new tire mtb style and it promptly exploded while sitting in the garage. At least he wasn't close by when it happened.

So 9:50 came around and someone was still missing. So we ditched him and asked him to meet us at the hill. Mark59 got a rear flat on the east side glass so we chilled out at the base of the hill for a while. Dan51 helped him out then went home. His hand hurts from his minor tumble at Ord last week. He would have been fine but he did some trail work yesterday at Coe with his bad hand. He must still have a concussion too

So Sierra Rd. came and we sent 4 lead riders up for a head start. The pack left and I dropped back to the rear of the group with Derek and Tom to wait for Mark to roll up. I launched after the left turn and then ran out of gas 100 yards later. Then came the most painful climb ever. Bustamove, JL and Dr. Wheels were a stone's throw away in front of me and I couldn't get any of them. I was broken many times and I lost all will to go fast. It was just so hot and my gears were too heavy. Wa-wah.

Rox took King of the Mountains as it was obvious he was softpedaling and just taking photos of Alex's ass. Then he made his move at the top and it was over. Shiloh made it up in fine form in her super hybrid commuter. Shiloh just started riding recently after months with a broken shoulder. The story of the day was Gregg mtbr Kato who never rides but decided to show up in the name of product testing. With a new bike where he couldn't lower the seatpost, he made it to the top hurt but not broken. We talked to the ranger and he told us about some grand plans to connect those Sierra Road trails to Grant Ranch.

So off we went again to Calaveras Road. Rensho and Nelson34 went back home at this point to start hydrating. The group was jovial for about 5 minutes and then all hell broke loose. Tburger was taking pictures and Rox was giving the Look to anyone in sight. Little did they know that the train was leaving. And leave it did. Alex is a big guy and he likes rollers. He's also been training all winter long to be the CCCX Sport champ. He made his move and the rest is history. The peloton dropped out one by one. I wheelsucked Alex and schemed many attacks but the pace was too high. "Why did you not attack?" asked the rookie reporter. "Cause I would have thrown up, silly."

Anyway, we regrouped at the top of Calaveras. Gregg Kato made it to this point again. I gave him his dropped bottle and some trail mix and watched in awe as he almost ate the plastic bag. We turned around to hit the same rollers and the truce lasted for about a minute this time. I went and I thought I was gone! Except Alex aka Sirkrameroy was riding no hands behind me so I Iet him tow me to the finish.

The ride was truly awesome and it was cool to see a bunch of first timers, mountain bikers mixing it up in the East Bay hills.

Next Sunday... Mt. Hamilton if there's a weather window.

fc
    Last edited by fc; 02-01-2010 at 12:30 AM.
    IPA will save America

padded
    Great pics, and the ride was even better. I was a hurtin' cowpoke soloing home into the wind down Calaveras Canyon to Sunol, thanks mostly to trying to follow Krameroy's repeated accelerations above the reservoir, but it was worth it to have put in such great miles before that.
    Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go drink several beers to forget the humiliation wrought on me by Rox when he rolled past me on the steepest part of Sierra -- in baggies, no less -- and then without stopping pulled his camera out of his pocket and started taking pictures.
    "You are by far the most interesting single-serving friend I have ever met."

Urban Ninja
    Next Sunday... Mt. Hamilton if there's a weather window.

fc
    How about a time trial Sixer at Six style (six pack entry fee, winner gets half the beer pool)? Like with a beer chug at the end that is added into your time. I'll bring my motorized bicycle and beers and man the timer If you guys start at 9am I could do this and still make it to work.

mtbr member
    Great write-up fc.

does Saturday work instead? (super bowl sunday)

Quote Originally Posted by jeng
    How about a time trial Sixer at Six style (six pack entry fee, winner gets half the beer pool)? Like with a beer chug at the end that is added into your time. I'll bring my motorized bicycle and beers and man the timer If you guys start at 9am I could do this and still make it to work.
    this^

If sunday, lets do 9AM at the latest. This is roadie territory, and after 9 is a mtb thing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2000
    Awesome weather + awesome people = awesome ride!

Thanks to Rensho for being my domestique up Sierra.

Thanks to Francois for the tastiest trail mix "evar". I woulda wolfed it down even faster except I had to breathe between bites. And thanks for chasing down my bouncing water bottle...it was all the water I had left!

Thanks to Cannondale for the awesome test rig. The 39-25 was tough up Sierra, but the 14.7 pound bike weight is worth an extra gear.

Good meeting and riding with everyone!

-g

(and oh yeah, spinning classes are NO replacement for real riding!)
    Like us on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/Mtbrcom

Follow us on Twitter - twitter.com/Mtbr

Mtbr YouTube Channel

fc
    Saturday is certainly a possibility. At this point, we should just chase the weather window and see what Mr. Nino gives us.

It would be cool to see Jeng's harley hybrid bike. Yeah, superbowl. That starts at 3pm though right? So let's work up an apetite.

fc
    IPA will save America

Let's ride
    Fun stuff for sure. I'm glad I went out there even for part of the ride. I miss riding on the road, and yesterday was perfect weather for it, and so little traffic.

NP Gregg. Glad I could be of assistance. Oh, and get some real water bottle cages on that thing.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho
    Fun stuff for sure. I'm glad I went out there even for part of the ride. I miss riding on the road, and yesterday was perfect weather for it, and so little traffic.

NP Gregg. Glad I could be of assistance. Oh, and get some real water bottle cages on that thing.
    Wow, three forum moderators in one ride. How'd we ever manage?

I am proud to report that not a single car passed me on that ride once we hit Sierra. Was I going that fast?

Here's Nelson34's bling bike and bling kit, all the way to the roadie shoes.
    From 2010-01-30

And here's Raymond's cool photo from the day before:
    From 2010-01-30

I then took that cow down and put it on my post ride veggies
    From 2010-01-30
    Last edited by fc; 02-01-2010 at 04:41 PM.
    IPA will save America

~~~
    A few more pics. More shots from the same spots as above.

1) Most of Sierra looked more like this to me. Everything's askew.
    2) 2 Mods, 1... Shot. rensho and gregg.
    3) gregg
    4) Nelson34
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sunday ride - Sierra Road to Calaveras-img_3831.jpg  

Sunday ride - Sierra Road to Calaveras-img_3834.jpg  

Sunday ride - Sierra Road to Calaveras-img_3835.jpg  

Sunday ride - Sierra Road to Calaveras-img_3838.jpg  

Puro Vida!
    Wow I have to at least look fast!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Get off this board roadies!

Nice write-up FC.

BTW, if the ride started at my house, I'd have breakfast waiting for y'all. Too bad we're not near any good road rides...

For the record, you all were never in my sight. Ouch. I want some c riders next time for company. It gets lonely and Gregg wasn't very talkative.

Mark--Thanks for the orange. If oranges from the store tasted that good, I'd eat so much more fruit.
    Can we talk tires now?

mtbr member
    Law - you are very close to lots of good road rides! just a short cruise from calero and chesboro resevoirs. you can add hicks, to the west, metcalf/san felipe to the east. You just need to get into the roadie thing more!

as for saturday, scratch that request, I forgot its demo trailwork day. Anyone that enjoys that fruit should lend a hand since its the reason for being the best conditioned trails after the rains.

Still on for sunday. If its an after 9am start, I'll see you guys on my way down.

-R

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    It is roadie cause trails are no good.
    Here's a few shots from some very nice trails Sunday afternoon at Coe...from someone who doesn't own, and in fact has never even tried, a road bike or a cross bike...

Kelly Lake Trail:

Elderberry Springs Trail:

Rock Tower Trail:

PS Looks like a fun hill - there's certainly something to be said for grinding up a big hill without worrying about slipping on leaves or rocks! And I've done plenty of road biking on my mountain bikes - hundreds of times up Page Mill over the years, and tons more. And besides my old Stumpjumper might qualify as a cross bike since it had no suspension...

fc
    here, from the archives.

what the heck is that on my camera lens? Canon G9 sensor dust...
    IPA will save America

jms
    mtbr member

The Real Story

My spies to the north have finally reached me, and here's one more video of FC's Calaveras MTBR group road ride. The real, shocking story FC's trying so desperately to suppress:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TbUL...layer_embedded

I've never been up Hamilton.....I might try to get up there for next weekend's ride. Gotta get my make-up and R3 together.

mtbr member
    thats hawt!

Ariolimax columbianus
    Quote Originally Posted by grrrah
    Law - you are very close to lots of good road rides! just a short cruise from calero and chesboro resevoirs. you can add hicks, to the west, metcalf/san felipe to the east. You just need to get into the roadie thing more!

as for saturday, scratch that request, I forgot its demo trailwork day. Anyone that enjoys that fruit should lend a hand since its the reason for being the best conditioned trails after the rains.

Still on for sunday. If its an after 9am start, I'll see you guys on my way down.

-R
    sorry to hijack, just looking for some info.........grrrah , how would you compare the climb up sierra rd vs. the climb up metcalf from the 101 side? just wondering cause we rode up metcalf sunday to look for some unmarked fireroads, thanks.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by jms
    My spies to the north have finally reached me, and here's one more video of FC's Calaveras MTBR group road ride. The real, shocking story FC's trying so desperately to suppress:

I've never been up Hamilton.....I might try to get up there for next weekend's ride. Gotta get my make-up and R3 together.
    He, he... Do you have that in HD jms?

Here's a photo by Aaron with some editing. (Aaron, you need to get the subjects closer. Fill the screen, photo-john says)

I opened my suitcase of courage and left Alex a broken man.

fc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sunday ride - Sierra Road to Calaveras-img_2849-1-2.jpg  

IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nativeson
    sorry to hijack, just looking for some info.........grrrah , how would you compare the climb up sierra rd vs. the climb up metcalf from the 101 side? just wondering cause we rode up metcalf sunday to look for some unmarked fireroads, thanks.
    hmm.. metcalf is shorter, but I'd say a bit harder. There are areas on Sierra where you can recover because the grades fluctuate. Metcalf is a constant 10% for 2 miles I think, with no break until you get close to the top. But they are probably similar in terms of if you can do one, you can do the other.

bike dork extraordinaire
    I opened my suitcase of courage and left Alex a broken man.

If I remember things correctly, that shot was taken after I went back down the hill a ways, turned around, and caught up to Francis.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by nativeson
    This is an awesome list:

http://www.actc.org/billygoats/index.php

It is the darn local hill bible. They're saying Metcalf and Sierra are both 5's on their 1-6 scale.
    Has anyone done any of these 6's?

Comparison chart:
    http://www.actc.org/profiles/index.php

Looking at the chart, they're very similar but Sierra is a bit longer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sunday ride - Sierra Road to Calaveras-metcalf-sierra.png  

IPA will save America

Let's ride

If I remember things correctly, that shot was taken after I went back down the hill a ways, turned around, and caught up to Francis.
    Or the suitcase has 4 hits of LSD...

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Too bad I missed this ride. I was gonna make next week's with no excuses but I am getting a cold. I guess I need to man-up and go regardless. There will always be excuses...

Thought for the day: Do you think the roadies of RBR secretly conspire to go ride Mountain Bikes?

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    thats not what it looks like to me and photos dont lie.

also it would have been easier to fill the frame if you guys werent so far back there. i can only do so much with that little point&shoot.

those actc ratings seem to be based only on the grade not the overall difficulty. how can old calveras be as bad as sierra when it climbs 500ft vs 1800? that said i dont think ive done any of the sixers but it might be time to start

fsrguy oh please i had a cold for this ride, you can do it.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by rox
    thats not what it looks like to me and photos dont lie.

also it would have been easier to fill the frame if you guys werent so far back there. i can only do so much with that little point&shoot.
    Oh that's it. I'm hitting the trainer tonight. And I'm using Gregg's Cannondale! No, camera, no water, nuthin!

9am. Hamilton. Sunday. Penitencia Creek Park on Berryessa road.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,0.030899&z=16

IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    That's an interesting link you provided, Francis:

When you click on KOM after the climb stats, you see the fastest times per age group. I think I'll go do a couple of these climbs to get my name on there.

You asked if anyone has done a 6. Yes, I have gone up Jamison Creek (it's steep!), after going up Hwy 9 from Saratoga and looping 237 around Big Basin. We still had to bike back home via Empire Grade, Alba (down), Hwy 9 and Bear Creek (up). In think that was the last time I followed Menso on a road bike ride into the Santa Cruz Mountains. Isn't there a magic pill or maybe a super light bike I can buy, instead of doing these training rides?

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by rox
    those actc ratings seem to be based only on the grade not the overall difficulty. how can old calveras be as bad as sierra when it climbs 500ft vs 1800? that said i dont think ive done any of the sixers but it might be time to start
    Good observation. But their system is good. It really just rates the overall steepness of the climb. So to get a good feel, you have get the 'difficulty' they apply and also the overall ft. gained.

JL, oh no. Did I unleash the roadie in you?

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    This is an awesome list:

It is the darn local hill bible. They're saying Metcalf and Sierra are both 5's on their 1-6 scale.
    Has anyone done any of these 6's?

Comparison chart:
    http://www.actc.org/profiles/index.php

Looking at the chart, they're very similar but Sierra is a bit longer.
    only quimby for me. maybe we'll do that instead of lower mt hammy on sunday

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    JL is roadie through and through. He's gonna break some personal records. But it's gotta be at dusk...
    Can we talk tires now?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Another good resource for local roadie climbs here with descriptions of some steep local grades as well:

"Unofficial" Stanford Cycling site:

http://cycling.stanford.edu/

fc
    This ride is happening again on Sept. 11, 2010.

The route is exactly the same and there will be A, B, and C rides. Info is here:
    http://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...d.php?t=223496

fc

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Ha spamming your own boards, quick someone give this troll a 30 day ban

mtbr member
    You guys should test yourself on Jamison Creek up then down then to Alba and Alba up. Both JC (2.9mi/1480') and Alba (3.9mi/2050') are the toughest climbs in SC mountains.To comapre, Alba gains same elevation as Montebello but is 1mi shorter. Fun stuff.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by poff
    You guys should test yourself on Jamison Creek up then down then to Alba and Alba up. Both JC (2.9mi/1480') and Alba (3.9mi/2050') are the toughest climbs in SC mountains.To comapre, Alba gains same elevation as Montebello but is 1mi shorter. Fun stuff.

At the end of our route, there is a route that is steeper than both those hill. It is called Welch Creek. It is a straight up bruiser.

Some might do it but really, it is no fun in a social setting. 18% grade... sustained!

From

fc

mtbr member
    Nice! You should make Alex do it in 39X23! BTW, according to your site "Welch Creek WLC 6 1910' 4.1mi" is not steeper than Alba, which is less steep than JC.
    Last edited by poff; 08-26-2010 at 07:13 PM.

fc
    Nice! You should make Alex do it in 39X23! BTW, according to your site "Welch Creek WLC 6 1910' 4.1mi" is not steeper than Alba, which is less steep than JC.
    I'm charging the electric bike already!

fc

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    HA! I should show up on my 48lb Surly 1x1 (65mm Large Marges, 24"x3" knobbies, 7lbs of batteries, Alfine rear hub, etc.) just to piss off the roadies! I am hoping to have found a buyer for my 58cm 2008 Ridley Damocles by thenÖ any takers?
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    I used to frequent Metcalf Road, as well as Hicks Road to the “top” of Mount Umunhum Road (“top”, as in, where the methhead hillbillies chase you out) with a 39x23 combo on aforementioned Ridley Damocles!
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

Members who have read this thread: 0