Suggestions for Where to Ride Between Tahoe and Bay Area....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New question here. Suggestions for Where to Ride Between Tahoe and Bay Area....

one of my ex-riding buddies will be back west for the long weekend, staying at tahoe city with his wife's family. he's gotten a pass to do a day ride with me on the fifth so i suggested we meet somewhere halfway between the east bay and tahoe--i just can't spare more than the one day so can't get to the lake area....

any suggestions on nice day rides (3-4 hours) in between?? my buddy was doing triathlons until he moved to nyc so hopefully now i can do a better job of keeping up with him on the bike!!

Caca pasa

Yeesh.

Quote Originally Posted by cohenfive
    one of my ex-riding buddies will be back west for the long weekend, staying at tahoe city with his wife's family. he's gotten a pass to do a day ride with me on the fifth so i suggested we meet somewhere halfway between the east bay and tahoe--i just can't spare more than the one day so can't get to the lake area....

any suggestions on nice day rides (3-4 hours) in between?? my buddy was doing triathlons until he moved to nyc so hopefully now i can do a better job of keeping up with him on the bike!!
    Long drive for both of you. Auburn, off 80, would be really close for him, and a hell of a drive for you. Salmon Falls off 50 (El Dorado Hills), or Rockville (Fairfield) are just a couple of rides that might make more sense. Would take him 1.5 hrs to get to S. Falls, or 2.5 to get to R-ville, I think.

fp
    tRump is SCUM.

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

mtbr member

Grouse Ridge

Try Grouse Ridge. Definitely a longer drive for you, a bit past Colfax, but worth it. Backcountry, technical riding. I think we rode Lindsey Lakes and Round Lake Trails on last year's IMBA Wild Ride. The Spaulding Lake Trail is really nice and less technical.

There's a great swimming hole on the way out of the area, too.

BONC has a map and directions at http://www.bonc.org/advocacy_grouse_wild.htm.

This area is a must-do soon as it is threatened with closure by Wilderness legislation - check out http://www.imba.com/resources/wilderness/index.html.
    Last edited by NorCAMBA Prez; 06-24-2004 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Adding information
    What would we do without trails?
    Get involved
    Join your local club and IMBA
    www.imba.com

SS Madness

What about Hole in the Ground?

I am looking for a trail called Hole in the Ground that is supposedly located across the street from Boreal. Can anyone ellucidate on this?

May 2004
    Just go to Northstar and be done with it!!!

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing

Hitg

Across the freeway from Boreal is a parking area with map, gate, etc. This is the Castle Peak area parking lot. You will find the Hole in the Ground trail up the fire road from here.

Doesn't sound like you've ridden it before. It is good to ride it with someone who knows it, or on a weekend day when there will be others there. I think Java Summit has some info, but I don't know if they are open yet.

I hear HITG is open now and was planning on heading up there this weekend.
    Take a look at and consider "liking" our VAR Facebook and VAR Instagram pages.

Caca pasa

Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by xjohnnyx
    ...ellucidate...
    Elucidate's big word- a little too big. One 'L'

I hadda look it up. Thanks for the word of the day.

fp
    tRump is SCUM.

Coors, the american beer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyro
    Just go to Northstar and be done with it!!!
    :werd:

that other place by colfax sounds dope too.
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Get up early and meet him in Tahoe. Makes for a long day, but certainly possible. Rode Flume trail on a day trip from Walnut Creek area about 5 years ago.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Hole in teh Ground...

Hole in the ground is one of my favorites...email me for directions/description if you're interested....or there's a website I think it's on....mtbsingletrack.com Godd sight.

Quote Originally Posted by xjohnnyx
    I am looking for a trail called Hole in the Ground that is supposedly located across the street from Boreal. Can anyone ellucidate on this?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    thanks for all the info gang. i think we may check out salmon falls trail, seems to be a good distance compromise for both of us. also while i'm riding a decent amount, since my friend moved to nyc he hasn't ridden in the dirt so i think this would be a more 'fun' ride for him....

now i also have some info on other rides to do up there!

mtbr dismember

Salmon Falls is short

As I recall Salmon Falls is a short ride (2 1/2 hrs.) even for me. And check with folks here if you can even go up Flagstaff Hill anymore. There was talk a while ago that it is private property and now closed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

ok, time to rethink...how tough/easy is salmon falls?

well my buddy blew me off last weekend at the last minute so i rode in the bay area. i'm thinking (after reading reviews on the trail and reading your comments) that this trail might be a good one to try with my son (just turning 10, a good young rider--loves china camp for example).

do you think this trail is doable for a good 10 year old?? it sounds like he might have trouble clearing the initial climb out of the trailhead and it will be tiring for him (18 miles out and back) but if we made a day of it and took plenty of food and drink it might be fun..

thanks!

mtbr dismember

Foresthill Divide?

Being an old single guy I have absolutely no concept of what a 10 year old can do. Perhaps more than me. But most people consider Salmon Falls an intermediate ride. The trail has some nice narrow, rocky sections that helped with my beginner skills. It was one of my favorite rides until I had to give up the Flagstaff Hill climb to save my knees. That then made the ride too short for the drive. But there are quite a few rocky dips into (now) dry creek beds which then require a rocky climb out. I just walked the scary ones my first few trips. How about trying Foresthill Divide out of Auburn? It's pretty nice XC singletrack but not at all technical. It's a 10 mile loop so you could repeat it in the reverse direction if he felt up to it.

Caca pasa

Aw, c'mon!

Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf
    Being an old single guy I have absolutely no concept of what a 10 year old can do. Perhaps more than me. But most people consider Salmon Falls an intermediate ride. The trail has some nice narrow, rocky sections that helped with my beginner skills. It was one of my favorite rides until I had to give up the Flagstaff Hill climb to save my knees. That then made the ride too short for the drive. But there are quite a few rocky dips into (now) dry creek beds which then require a rocky climb out. I just walked the scary ones my first few trips. How about trying Foresthill Divide out of Auburn? It's pretty nice XC singletrack but not at all technical. It's a 10 mile loop so you could repeat it in the reverse direction if he felt up to it.
    The poor guy lives in the Bay Area- talk about a drive! I mean, he's spending time with his kid, but does a 5-6 hour drive constitute quality time?

Personally, I feel we need to rethink our penchant for driving all day for a few hours of entertainment. Ride locally, save gas. Reduce our reliance on oil.

Just my opinion.

fp
    tRump is SCUM.

mtbr dismember

He asked about Salmon Falls

I invited him to ride Annadel a few weeks ago but he couldn't make it. That's a *much* better ride and a lot closer for him. Also many more options depending on the kids level. Note I said I don't bother with Salmon Falls anymore because it is too little riding for too much driving.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    the rides up in the sierra--salmon falls and foresthill divide--both sound great. i think my son could handle salmon falls, except maybe for the first climb out which he could walk up (probably with me pushing his bike!). i think that would be a long but great ride for him.
    foresthill also sounds like fun, probably easier cruising for the most part--we might have to do a couple of laps to really tucker him (maybe me too!) out.

gary as for your comment on driving, i hear you. i'm all ears on suggestions for bay area equivalent rides, the only thing i've come up with is boy scout camp and i'm not sure whether there's too much climbing for him. that's the issue in the bay area, as you know almost everything has some pretty steep and long climbs. ok for me (i'm not a fast climber but can make it up eventually) but my little guy just doesn't have the strength yet to handle climbs like briones..

as far as driving distances/times go, it sounds like salmon falls and foresthill would be less than 2 hours from my house in lafayette (east bay). decent drive but maybe worth it for an 'adventure' day with my son to terrain we don't have in the bay area.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf
    I invited him to ride Annadel a few weeks ago but he couldn't make it. That's a *much* better ride and a lot closer for him. Also many more options depending on the kids level. Note I said I don't bother with Salmon Falls anymore because it is too little riding for too much driving.
    jeez, sorry i missed it!!!

do you guys think my son could handle annadel--i'd go up there in a heartbeat if i thought he could do it. it's the climbing that gives him trouble, he can handle the bike well.

hope i get another invite....i wasn't happy to have to bail.

mtbr dismember

Try Annadel by yourself first

As for the climbing, what does a 10 year old look like? I rarely encounter them. I avoid climbing as much as possible so try my favorite route at Annadel. Except for South Burma the climbing isn't too bad. This covers most of the trails so you would have an idea what he could ride. You are welcome to ride Annadel anytime with me. However, since UncleMTB and I are both off work we are currently planning more "exotic" rides: Mammoth Mountain, North Umpqua (Oregon), more Tahoe and another Cannell Plunge. You are welcome on any of them if you can stand the slow pace.

pewpewpew Moderator
    Don't underestimate foresthill - i have done some epic rides there depending on the loops done with 30+ miles and 3000 ft of climbing. After all , it is a ridge going down into a river valley. Some of the easy stuff still requires short bursts of energy to clean the "rollers".

I think annadel is a great option. One nice thing is there are bail out points.

Everythings gots climbs...

You have taken him to the diablo foothills? I think thats a great place for beginners, even if its mainly fireroads. Providing of course that you don't climb the crazy steep stuff. But even an out and back along the stagecoach trail is kind of fun, and there are creek crossings which woudl be a charge for him...

edit: rockville has some easy stuff too, along with some tricky stuff as well, and not a ton of climbing, if you dont want it...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

so i ended up taking my son to foresthill divide today...

thanks for all the input. he did great, had a couple of spots that he couldn't do (early climb that i think if he pushed he might've been able to clear and one spot also early on that was fairly steep but also rocky with tree stumps) but as usual he was a trooper. the trail isn't quite as easy as some of the reviews but was a good challenge for him--11.8 mile loop in total. nice mixture of not-too-long climbs, some rocky sections and a bunch of rolling singletrack through meadows and woods. beautiful scenery. i think i'd have to talk him into going back as it really wiped him out (he fell asleep almost as soon as we were on the highway) but that's how you get better. i've attached a few pix of him from the ride.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr dismember

Great!

Wish I had started at that age. I'm always wary of trail reviews because everybody has different ideas about what is easy vs. difficult. Only 90 minutes further north on Hwy 49 and you could have ridden with UncleMTB and me at Downieville today. We had a fantastic ride, the fastest I've ever gone on singletrack. Video is about done and will be posted Sunday morning.

Jun 2004
    The scenery in those pics looks amazing! That must have been a fun ride.

Members who have read this thread: 0