suggestions for my trip north- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

suggestions for my trip north

My friends and I (from SF) are taking a few days in August to explore the coast far far north of Sonoma County, which is usually as far North as we go. We have some ideas (Humboldt Redwoods State Park, Jackson State Forest), but no experience in this direction.

We will be driving (with bikes and tents), so anything between SF and Oregon is fair game-- we don't mind spending most of a day driving to have a few days of riding in a great spot.

I am interested in your suggestions for great places to bike AND camp up north. Tell me where you've stayed, and what were your favorite trails. Locals' advice is welcome too. I'm especially interested in the camping options: ideally, we'd be able to bike from camp to good stuff.

Our ability level is probably intermediate; I've ridden most of the better known stuff in the Bay Area; this Spring three of us went to Moab. None of us have full-sus (yet), we're more xc-types.

Thanks

don't try this at home
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgarry
    My friends and I (from SF) are taking a few days in August to explore the coast far far north of Sonoma County, which is usually as far North as we go. We have some ideas (Humboldt Redwoods State Park, Jackson State Forest), but no experience in this direction.

We will be driving (with bikes and tents), so anything between SF and Oregon is fair game-- we don't mind spending most of a day driving to have a few days of riding in a great spot.

I am interested in your suggestions for great places to bike AND camp up north. Tell me where you've stayed, and what were your favorite trails. Locals' advice is welcome too. I'm especially interested in the camping options: ideally, we'd be able to bike from camp to good stuff.

Our ability level is probably intermediate; I've ridden most of the better known stuff in the Bay Area; this Spring three of us went to Moab. None of us have full-sus (yet), we're more xc-types.

Thanks
    Navarro campground in Mendocino is pretty nice. if you go to the end of the navarro river there is a campground right on the beach.

that's about all the camping i've done up there. other then Jackson Demo, i really don't know where else. Way up in trinity there are whiskey lake(s)? they used to have the whiskey something or other downhill race back in the mid-late 80's.

sorry i can't be more specific then that.