Stunts torn down at Corral (Demo)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Stunts torn down at Corral (Demo)

I rode Corral at Demo today, usually go there every weekend, and at the beginning of Corral I found the first two stunts torn down. The first is the wood planck drop that it was built as part of a recent trail work day. Somebody had lifted it up and moved it to the side. I rebuilt that one as good as I could, so it was safe to hit (which I tested thoroughly ). Just a few yards down from that one, to the right, there was this weird looking stunt, a jump made with what it looked like a curved tree chopped in half. That one was completely down, nothing could be done.

That was one of my favorite stunts at Corral (the second one), since it was a real challenge for me, not because it was sketchy (actually it was pretty safe) but for some reason it took me serious commitment to start hitting it, and after that it was always a lot of fun.

Just as I finished the climb to the top, at the beginning, I saw this weird looking hiker, he was dressed like a homeless but was very friendly and we exchanged a few words, he even said "Have a nice ride!" when he left, so I have no reason to suspect him. I haven't been to Demo in a couple of weeks, so maybe this happened before. I also noticed some other small alterations to the stunts in Corral, but nothing destructive as what they did to the top ones.

It is highly unlikely that those two stunts were turn down due to safety reasons, the first one was 'officially' built during a trail work day and the second has been there forever, both were completely optional and out of the main line.

Anyway, I just thought I should share here, no intention to start a rant or anything.

David.

mtbr member
    I haven't been out in a while but I heard stunts were removed on Braille too...all sanctioned, trail work stunts. SUP?!!!

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo
    I haven't been out in a while but I heard stunts were removed on Braille too...all sanctioned, trail work stunts. SUP?!!!
    There's a few of the jumps that are planks setup on things that were taken down. I noticed them down a few weeks ago. The main one I remember is right after the log ride over the gap.

Those stunts on Corral were there last Saturday.

dis member

Seems good to me

I had a great ride in the Demo today. We started with a really big group, and ended up dragging about 8 of them up Cussacks, down Ridge and Saw Pit, and then did my favorite, up Tractor, down Braille, and out.

One particularly nice thing about the Demo is that the trail features are more "arranged" than really "built", and as such are subject to erosion and decomposition, as well as artistic interpretation and sculpting.

I try to lend a hand on the trial work days and other times in order to nudge the feel of the forest a bit in the direction I like, and realize that nothing we are doing is permanent. I recommend getting out there today and enjoying it right now. Sorry to hear one of your favorites is not as it was, but I do think something equally cool is just over the horizon.

I like mtn biking, too
    Braille is fine....

Rode it yesterday, and other than the fact that it was dusty, and seemed like there were more braking bumps everywhere than usual, (kinda torn up...), the usual things were still in place, and I actually noticed a new teeter-totter that wasn't there last time I had ridden there. The other teeter totter closer to the bottom, just below that switchback seems to have been moved more to the side and out of the way of the main line.

There was also this funky tree stump/rocky thing on Ridge just at the bottom of that short steep bit that was always a bit of a pain that I noticed someone had removed.
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. We’re just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    They may not have been "torn" down.

This is the time of year where things just disintegrate, and often when stunts start falling apart they either have to be partially dismantled or repaired. If a stunt is falling apart and really dangerous, it's much easier and quicker to take apart the dangerous stuff than to rebuild it, particularly if you don't have much experience in building stuff, or have only worked in soft damp soil in the winter, etc.

I think if someone were deliberately damaging or disassembling stunts, it would be far more obvious - I was looking and I didn't see anything that looked deliberate yesterday evening, but on the other hand I didn't take Corral (Cusacks/Bacon/Ridge/Braille), so you might be right.

Flyin Canine
    I have not been to demo in a while but I did not hear of any official work that went on to dismantle anything. Like others have said stuff just wears out and gets unstable and may have been taken down by a random rider.

mtbr member
    No big deal,
    I'm pretty sure the two stunts I referred to, at the top of CORRAL, were victim of probably random vandalism. I was not trying to sound whining or anything, Demo is still a great place and love riding there.

Keep the rubber side down everybody!
    David.

Quote Originally Posted by locoyokel
    They may not have been "torn" down.

This is the time of year where things just disintegrate, and often when stunts start falling apart they either have to be partially dismantled or repaired. If a stunt is falling apart and really dangerous, it's much easier and quicker to take apart the dangerous stuff than to rebuild it, particularly if you don't have much experience in building stuff, or have only worked in soft damp soil in the winter, etc.

I think if someone were deliberately damaging or disassembling stunts, it would be far more obvious - I was looking and I didn't see anything that looked deliberate yesterday evening, but on the other hand I didn't take Corral (Cusacks/Bacon/Ridge/Braille), so you might be right.

mtbr member
    some of the ones on braille that were removed was because they were broken. near the top in the first 1/3 of braille, the one jump just before you have to shoot through the 2 tight trees was removed. the log used as the ramp was crack in two.

it would be cool to have those pro North Shore builders bring some of their skills to demo. stuff up there is amazing.

Pee's in the H8teraid

Just an Update....

It's happened again on Corral.
    On the "fire road" section, they covered the center (hardpack) with debris (which is not a big deal), piled it on the small wall ride, taken a pick to some of the small hip jumps and tore down the log drop on the left side close to the Sulpher Springs junction..
    '10 SXT
    '10 Demo 8
    '09 Yeti DJ

In the redwoods
    It baffles me that anyone would tear down stunts up there unless they were indeed already breaking/beyond repair.. I mean.. demo's not exactly a good place for hikers.. it's basically a mountain biker's park... and it takes a lot of effort to even get up there.. I'll stay optimistic and hope there's not some a**holes taking away other folks' fun up there...

In the end, come winter there's always rebuilding to be done anyhow.

Pee's in the H8teraid
    The log drop was less than a year old and was built(I believe) during a work day..
    The hips are hardpacked dirt that they picked..
    I ride there every weekend and have been seeing alot of hikers on Hihns Mill.
    I've seen a few head up that way..
    Gonna look around for tools next time...I don't think they would be packing them in and out all the time,. More likely to get caught...
    '10 SXT
    '10 Demo 8
    '09 Yeti DJ

In the redwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by DucJ
    The log drop was less than a year old and was built(I believe) during a work day..
    The hips are hardpacked dirt that they picked..
    I ride there every weekend and have been seeing alot of hikers on Hihns Mill.
    I've seen a few head up that way..
    Gonna look around for tools next time...I don't think they would be packing them in and out all the time,. More likely to get caught...

Still don't understand the mentality of those who would vandalize this spot and why they would be so inspired as to lug tools up there in the first place and spend so much time and energy to do so... especially in the case of demo, which is one park with all legally sanctioned trails including the fun bits, far removed from the casual dog walker or horse back rider.

I might be heading up there this week and I'll keep my eyes peeled..

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes
    One of the last times I rode Demo was in late June. There was a group of runners that almost came to blows with some riders on the fireroad up to Ridge. I'm not blaming anyone, but I think there are more people who do hike/run there than we realize.

Still, it's really sad that someone's doing this.
    On the fireroad?
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Question for anybody in the know about Demo:

What is the process to get a stunt or obstacle legally sanctioned? If a stunt was completely destroyed but could be replaced/repaired/rebuilt, does it need to go through the same process?

I haven't ridden demo yet, but I'd love to come down for work day and hopefully get in a few runs as well.

Pee's in the H8teraid
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg
    On the fireroad?
    Yes.
    It was me that was "swung upon" by a jogger/runner.. In front of one of their Course Marshalls.
    '10 SXT
    '10 Demo 8
    '09 Yeti DJ

Slowest Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg
    On the fireroad?
    Yep, the Aptos Creek (?) fire road, just before the entrance to Ridge Trail. On the fast downhill just before getting to that point, a jogger was screaming at all of us to all slow down. Stripes seem to make peace with them later at the stand they set up right at the Ridge entrance. They even gave her some water and stuff.

That jogger run was a special hosted event mostly on the roads out of Nissen Mark, so I'm not sure if that particular group was one to worry about.

The motivation could be anything besides bike haters. It could be a naturalist, a logger, someone concerned about bikers getting hurt, some guy with initials MV.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

I like mtn biking, too
    Quote Originally Posted by Haus Boss
    Question for anybody in the know about Demo:
    I'm not "in the know", but I have attended 1 trailwork day there. We added sanctioned fun features on Corral (hooray!). Trailwork days are usually scheduled here through this group:
    http://www.soquelforest.org/index.shtml

You can also become a member, and/or join the MBOSC mailing list, as (in addition to hosting numerous way cool activities) they will also announce SDF trailwork days.
    http://www.mbosc.org/

Those "in the know" not only ride a Mojo, but do trailwork, yo! (ok that was cheezy...) back to my schoolwork...
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. We’re just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

mtbr member

I rode there on Sunday too

The damage on the fireroad section of Corral didin't seem to be something you can do with hand tools, it looked like they ran heavy equipment through there causing a lot of damage to the trail and the stunts on the side. Do the loggers operate over there?

David.

Quote Originally Posted by DucJ
    It's happened again on Corral.
    On the "fire road" section, they covered the center (hardpack) with debris (which is not a big deal), piled it on the small wall ride, taken a pick to some of the small hip jumps and tore down the log drop on the left side close to the Sulpher Springs junction..

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by shredchic
    Those "in the know" not only ride a Mojo, but do trailwork, yo! (ok that was cheezy...) back to my schoolwork...
    That's not cheezy! I couldn't agree more

In the redwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieDrop
    The damage on the fireroad section of Corral didin't seem to be something you can do with hand tools, it looked like they ran heavy equipment through there causing a lot of damage to the trail and the stunts on the side. Do the loggers operate over there?

David.
    I've never been up in Demo when the loggers were going at it, but it does seem plausible that the damage was done by equipment, especially if it was limited to the fireroad section and not the single track.

Pee's in the H8teraid
    If Heavy Equipment was used, they could have totally ripped out those hips.
    They were just picked.. Two trenches in each one..Like to aid rain erosion..
    Easy to repair, it's just the nerve that pisses me off..
    It is possible that the loggers were up there. There are some cut/stacked log piles about.
    But their equipment pulverizes the ground. Notice how silty Hihns Mill is where they have been?
    I didn't see any "tracks" up there though...
    Trail sanitizing is NoTFB anyway.
    The only ones that know for sure are the ones that are doing it....................
    '10 SXT
    '10 Demo 8
    '09 Yeti DJ

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I would ride Corral a lot more, if it continued as a single track down to the parking lot or to the top of Hihn's and/or along the side of the ridge to the heliport. Maybe something for the next trail day?
    Also known as Menso's dad.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JL de Jong
    I would ride Corral a lot more, if it continued as a single track down to the parking lot or to the top of Hihn's and/or along the side of the ridge to the heliport. Maybe something for the next trail day?
    What would be awesome would be to have a trail that runs parallel to Ridge from halfway downCorral to Sawpit. It's a major undertaking but you could make something super flowy that would be easier to climb than Sulpher/Tractor and would open up so much more in the way of route possibilities.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Carl, you are right: I just looked at the contour map Soquel Demo Map: from the top of Hihn you only have to climb 200 feet along the side of the ridge to get to the top of Tractor. That would be a nice trail to have. The bottom of Corral's single track is less than 100 feet below the heliport, connecting those two points along the side of the ridge would be a nice trail as well.
    Also known as Menso's dad.

Members who have read this thread: 0