Strava is cutting free features in a push for $ubscribers- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Strava is cutting free features in a push for $ubscribers

[It's NorCal relevant, cuz they're a startup based in SF, okay?]

Strava's leadership is trying to hit profitability, which in itself is reasonable, but it's going to make non-paying users a lot less happy.

Main changes for free users is you can only see the top-10 on leaderboards and your own times. No more comparing friends, the populace, etc. Any sense of competition is now in your own head or behind a paywall.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/05/...-and-more.html

I recognize that the standard complaint about the app is it creates Stravassholes, but it's been a huge boon to me personally. Having ride tracking has enabled me to push myself against PRs, try to crawl up the leaderboard, and motivated me to go for longer and harder rides. The beacon feature, while largely useless deep in the forest, does give my wife peace of mind since I usually ride solo.

I have been paying for a while, but the free features were definitely what hooked me on the experience, and it took a while to get there. I dunno if this will lead to attrition, but it definitely leaves the door open to other free services to scoop up disgruntled customers. [e.g. Run/Ride With GPS]

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Interesting. As a premium subscriber I've always felt that the free version was pretty close to as good. It would be nice if they added value to premium vs taking it away from free though (like decent equipment / component tracking for those of us who like to know when stuff might wear out, or some basic algorithms to filter e-bikes into the right leaderboards more often), but what do I know.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Paper or plastic?
    I've been mooching off of Strava for years. That may be what I need to start paying for it.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by davee5 View Post

Main changes for free users is you can only see the top-10 on leaderboards
    Top-10?..Phew, sounds like I'm safe then.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Good for them.

Will always prefer to pay in exchange for privacy/more features/less ads.

World needs a lot less Googles, Facebooks, Twitters etc.

I'm sure they could overload the free version with ads, but they probably wouldn't want to take the hit to the brand.

mtbr member
    I think part of it is they gave away too much product. The premium paid features, off the top of my head were:
    - live beacon (let your F&F know where you are for safety / planning)
    - more data analysis (get hella deep in your data, if you care)
    - coaching / training tools
    - a little badge on your avatar

I never felt like the majority of the premium features were worth it since I don't train in any practical sense. I ride hard, and try to ride harder, but I don't use a power meter or the like.

I only subscribed because (a) I felt like I was using it at a "I owe these guys some bucks" level of intensity and (b) I had a crash that was bad enough that I told my wife I'd pony up the bacon for Beacon.

I guess leaderboards are the next tick down the list and/or the biggest lever they have?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Sounds reasonable. I use it--and pay for it--for the same reasons you stated.
    "I will absolutely apologize hopefully sometime in the distant future if I'm ever wrong." ~ Donnie Bonespurs

SPECIALizED
    I'm paying for Summit mostly for the beacon. I ride alone a lot and it gives my wife peace of mind to know where I'm at should something happen. $5 a month is one less iced mocha coffee.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    I got free two years from one of the teams I was on. Have been otherwise paying (minus said two years) annually since 2011 since I joined. Oh, and my contributions to the short-lived Strava Climbing Challenges of February - March 2011 for the MTBR Strava club helped secure those two kegs of beer awarded to the victors (I did 116,000 feet of climbing or something like that for February 2011 Ė cheers, foos!!!).
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Iím also a subscriber. Good for them. Itís well worth the $5 a month. I would hate to see that company go belly up

Cycologist

I only subscribed because (a) I felt like I was using it at a "I owe these guys some bucks" level of intensity and (b) I had a crash that was bad enough that I told my wife I'd pony up the bacon for Beacon.
    Quote Originally Posted by UPSed View Post
    I'm paying for Summit mostly for the beacon. I ride alone a lot and it gives my wife peace of mind to know where I'm at should something happen. $5 a month is one less iced mocha coffee.
    When I got home last night from a ride, my wife told me how she worries every time I go out for a ride after a bad crash put me in the hospital for three nights and asked if there was something that would call for help if I crashed and wasn't able to do so. Kinda surprised me that she thought of that, she's not much for tech. So I might go ahead and subscribe though I don't know if she'll bother to take the time to learn how to use the beacon feature.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

Dirty Old Man
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    When I got home last night from a ride, my wife told me how she worries every time I go out for a ride after a bad crash put me in the hospital for three nights and asked if there was something that would call for help if I crashed and wasn't able to do so. Kinda surprised me that she thought of that, she's not much for tech. So I might go ahead and subscribe though I don't know if she'll bother to take the time to learn how to use the beacon feature.
    Shouldn't really be anything to learn on her end, it's a text message and link. My wife and kids used to watch my rides on her phone via the beacon link until I switched to using my Garmin.
    . . . . . . . .

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I get much more value from the app than the $5 a month they charge. Agree with the others that they were giving away too much for free. If you think it is too much money don't pay for it. I disagree that this will open the door to competition, social networks are all about "network effects" and this one has years of headstart building out their network.

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    so what is everyone switching to for route creation? post up your suggestions and reviews of alternatives

mtbr member
    My opinion is that if they want money, they should charge significantly less (like $20) for leaderboards and have a tiered system for the other new features. I suspect there will be significant backlash from people as the vast majority of users won't want to pay $60 for something they were already getting for free. However I will likely try this out because I like data and mapping routes, etc.

I've been using ridewithgps.com (most features free) to create routes and export them to *.fit files that can be used on my Garmin. They actually update their base maps and routing regularly.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    That's a shame. I only just discovered Strava today, and thought the 'Segments' feature could be a bit of fun for me as a newbie. I was hoping to challenge myself to climb higher than #3121 on the leaderboard

mtbr member
    Iíve been paying for years, and itís one of the most used apps on my phone. I also spend a lot of time with their more advanced features on a computer.

I personally want to see Strava continue to improve and stay relevant, so I plan to keep supporting them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoolie Ghoulie on Strava.
    Sep 2010
    Wow, this is a tough one for me. I am often contemplating quitting Strava, as I used to ride without a phone before Strava, and it was really great. You really get away from it all, even more than simply using airplane mode. Additionally I used to leave my phone at home once a week, when going to work, house painting, just to be ME. Its been over a year since I left my phone at home, and I still use STRAVA, so I guess I have been assimilated.
    Buy American, save lives. (Tough for cyclists)

Ride On!
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    I've been mooching off of Strava for years. That may be what I need to start paying for it.
    Same here, finally broke down and bought the Analysis pack for a $1.99 (yeah, I know.. lol). While I like PR's, friends chiming in, etc... of Strava, I find myself often wondering if it is time to break free of them.

I also use the free version of RideWithGPS which provides most of the information I use. I have tried the premium version ($10/mos) in the past and found some of what it offers more useful than Strava, although more expensive ( Sometimes I feel I just need to get back to skills and enjoyment and forget the guesstaments, although, fairly accurate ones of someone current release.

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    (I did 116,000 feet of climbing or something like that for February 2011 Ė cheers, foos!!!).
    You're an animal! For 28 days that's averaging over 4k a day. I can't imagine you were riding every day. That's a big month, especially in the winter. Was that a drought year?

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Get a cheap bike computer to record your ride, then leave the phone at home. It's sort of a step sideways because you're adding more gadgets to the equation, but the mental freedom of riding without a phone would be restored.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by rox View Post
    so what is everyone switching to for route creation? post up your suggestions and reviews of alternatives
    Route creation is ALSO gone? ****. That was actually extremely useful to me given that I like to explore new areas on my own.

I understand that businesses need to make money, but stripping useful features from the free tier is garbage.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    TrainingPeaks and even SportTracks are much better training tools.

ROAD ID is a much better beacon.

Strava is a joke. The only thing they have going for them is their social networking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ohmygato View Post
    The only thing they have going for them is their social networking.
    Sure, but the social aspect is the primary benefit for someone like me who isn't using training tools and wants riding to include an asynchronous social component:
    - social motivation to keep up with highly active friends
    - social support from others to stay active and engaged
    - discussion of routes, trail reports, and personal updates
    - generalized motivation to climb the leaderboards

On one end of the spectrum are riders who train hard and want data and tools for analysis and improvement, and on the other end there are riders who "just ride." I was squarely the latter until Strava pushed me towards "just ride, a little harder and faster." Perhaps Strava does suck on the training side, I have no idea, because I'm here for the parts that are unlocked by social interactions and masses of users.

I think the asynchronicity of social riding is actually Strava's killer feature. It's the transition from phone calls to texting.

You lose the live back and forth, the interaction and playfulness of real-time hangs, but you gain massive flexibility and convenience. I almost never ride with others, maybe 5 times a year, but with Strava I can *feel* like I'm in a daily community of riders and outdoors lovers where everyone is free to do their thing on their time. I find that more motivating than trying to eke out a few more watts. YMMV.

Up In Smoke
    Strava is a joke. The only thing they have going for them is their social networking.
    wtf am I doing wrong? I only have one follower. Nobody cares

mtbr member
    I think a lot of people don't understand the full potential of STRAVA. To me it makes it a must and one that I am more than willing to pony up a relatively reasonable annual fee for:

Personal:
    - Track my own goals (Miles / Elevation)
    - Track my own progress (fitness)
    - Track my PRs on segments
    - Benchmark myself against other riders
    - Segment explore for areas I am visiting
    - Create routes which I then put on my Garmin for turn by turn directions. SUPER helpful for riding solo at a new spot.
    - Heatmap for further deep dive sleuthing of off the radar trails
    - Social networking. I use STRAVA more than Facebook/Instagram etc.

Trail Building:
    - Naming Trails / Segments (helps with describing trails and ongoing building efforts / status)
    - Monitoring where people are "going astray" aka getting lost
    - Seeing where people were riding segments in different directions / ways for consideration of formalizing
    - Monitoring trail / segment usage (approximate trail counter) for consideration of improvements and/or need for maintenance
    - Observing hiker versus MTB flow and intersections / potential conflict points
    - Visualizing trail density for consideration of new segments / trails.
    - Seeing new riders to the system. Helps me reach out to them to offer a tour / pointers.
    - Locals versus people coming in from other locations aka visitors which also can / will be used as a selling point to local municipality.
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

Thread Killa
    Nov 2012
    I've been a Summit member for over two years now, primarily for the beacon which gives my wife and me peace of mind. Rarely use any of the mapping or training features and the few times I have used the routing, I've found it to be clunky... Hopefully, this improves with more paying customers if that indeed is the end result. Also enjoy the social aspect regardless of how un-cool people make it out to be

mtbr member
    I think this will only hurt strava. If they want more paid users, they should actually improve their product so people want to pay for it. Instead, they are making their free model worse in the hopes of forcing users to upgrade to get the same features they were getting for free. Only 5-10% of the people I follow are premium members.

member you member
    I hung up the Strava in January and went to using Trailforks exclusively. I can say that Strava operated a lot better than Trailforks ever has for me when it comes to out of cell service GPS-only tracking. 4/5 rides with TF have either not saved, not recorded, recorded then skipped waypoints, etc..

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I think this move is exactly what I need to fuggetaboutit altogether.
    Just call me Ray

Up In Smoke
    Strava had a good ring to it. Now what am I supposed to holler as I'm barreling down the trail out of control
    "Trail Forks!"?

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    The only thing I use Strava for is looking for blank spots on their heatmap to go backpacking in. It's still available on my desktop (the only place I access it), so I'm okay.
    2017 Jamis DragonSlayer Pro
    1995 Trek 930

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    Strava had a good ring to it. Now what am I supposed to holler as I'm barreling down the trail out of control
    "Trail Forks!"?
    How about "e-bike"?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I haven't ever paid for Strava, and when they started moving features to Premium I'd occasionally activate a couple month trial that would come with a new Garmin.

I will miss comparing my times to friends (they couldn't compare back though, since if you only make your rides viewable to Followers, it doesn't put your results on the main leaderboard), but Strava's core feature I found useful was just seeing other peoples rides, seeing flyby's, etc.

Training metrics were always better implemented elsewhere, TrainingPeaks if you wanted to pay, Golden Cheetah if you didn't (and Golden Cheetah now imports from Strava, so it is seamless).

I do pay for VeloViewer ($13/year'ish) which gives a much better view into your own Strava data, and I don't think that'll be impacted by Strava's new changes. Hopefully not anyways.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitewater View Post
    I've been a Summit member for over two years now, primarily for the beacon which gives my wife and me peace of mind. Rarely use any of the mapping or training features and the few times I have used the routing, I've found it to be clunky... Hopefully, this improves with more paying customers if that indeed is the end result. Also enjoy the social aspect regardless of how un-cool people make it out to be
    Same here. Beacon alone is worth the $60/annually or whatever it is. I also met a ton of other riders via a Strava group 4 years ago when I moved, some of whom I'm really good friends with now. I'm personally fine with paying for software that I use regularly.

I do wish they'd add a feature to filter Zwift/Peloton/etc. from my feed. That got super spammy recently.

mtbr member
    Fukem'

https://www.tetongravity.com/story/g...alifornia-park

Land Managers also use strava to find off the radar trails and deploy enforcement or shut them down completely by dropping 100 trees and rototiling the tread. When you contact strava to remove segments they don't care.

Whats next?
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CAXnztkAvxv/

Edit: forgot to mention the phenomena of the "Strava Line" or "Enduro Line". At least for enduro races they bring out the course tape and the racers respect it. Out on the trails with strava KOM battles, it's trail vandalism free for all.

psycho cyclo addict
    I think their app and web site are unimpressive/nonintuitive.

I'll keep posting ride data (via a different app... Cyclemeter) for others to see what I'm up to and ignore the rest of their offerings like always.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

Gravel bike w/ MTB tires
    Rigid steel SS 29er
    Rigid titanium SS 27.5
    Full suspension 29er
    Hard Tail 29er

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    Same here. Beacon alone is worth the $60/annually or whatever it is.
    How could Beacon be worth $60/annually when the competition is better and free?

https://www.roadid.com/pages/road-id-app

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelmotion View Post
    I hung up the Strava in January and went to using Trailforks exclusively. I can say that Strava operated a lot better than Trailforks ever has for me when it comes to out of cell service GPS-only tracking. 4/5 rides with TF have either not saved, not recorded, recorded then skipped waypoints, etc..
    Trailforks always kills my battery on my iPhone. If I ever need it for route finding i fire it up check the map and then kill the app before I go on my way.

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    I do wish they'd add a feature to filter Zwift/Peloton/etc. from my feed. That got super spammy recently.
    That would be pretty nice. I feel its part of the riders responsibility to mark those indoor rides as private, at least that's what I do. I don't know anyone that is interested in seeing the intervals I did this morning.

Kind of like people that post a screen shot of their strava on other social media platforms.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    That would be pretty nice. I feel its part of the riders responsibility to mark those indoor rides as private, at least that's what I do. I don't know anyone that is interested in seeing the intervals I did this morning.
    Now that you mention it, that is yet another huge pain in the ass!

It takes multiple clicks to change privacy on a ride, they don't care when you flag someone's motorcycle ride, and they knowingly expose illegal trails. Screw Strava. I'm deleting it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I'd be more inclined to pay for Premium if they'd actually fix their Bluetooth integration bugs instead of giving up and removing a widely used feature. Making people use another app like Wahoo Fitness to log things like standalone Heart Rate/Power meters rubs me the wrong way. That was honestly the main reason I stopped subscribing to Summit last fall. This change to leaderboard and time comparisons might make me reconsider though.

middle ring single track
    I've forgotten why I went with a paid subscription it's been so long ago; seemed to make sense at the time. Barely use the extra features it affords me and there's a couple Strava policies that I hate but the app is damned reliable.

So as long as they don't raise the subscription rate I'll stay where I'm at.

When I got the change-in-services notice though, the first thing that came to mind was "Photobucket".
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I got 8 yrs out of Strava. I'm done with them. I paid when I was training. Now, I just ride. I was curious about segments with my friends, but I'm not paying for it.

RideWithGPS or Garmin connect is fine. The ranking between friends was cool and the reason I stayed.
    Crusin' on a fake duck with a Sharks jersey on and a pig's tail in my fork

Cycologist

I guess leaderboards are the next tick down the list and/or the biggest lever they have?
    How could Beacon be worth $60/annually when the competition is better and free?

https://www.roadid.com/pages/road-id-app
    My wife mentioned to me when I got back from a ride that every time I go out now, she worries (I had a bad crash in November that landed me in the ER) and was there some way she could know if I crashed and no one was there to find me and I was unable to call. But I'm worried I would take too long of a break or lose cell signal or something and make her panic for nothing. But then again, she is a technophobe and probably wouldn't learn how to track me.

I had a RoadID for a long time but lost it; I should get another.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    that's a bummer. one of my favorite features lately is looking at other peoples big gravel rides up over the bridge and creating a route off of their route. then I have turn by turn directions to go explore new shit.

Up In Smoke
    Looks like the changes are fully in effect now. I feel like strava is trying to remove the "social media" stigma and become more training/fitness oriented.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    My wife mentioned to me when I got back from a ride that every time I go out now, she worries (I had a bad crash in November that landed me in the ER) and was there some way she could know if I crashed and no one was there to find me and I was unable to call. But I'm worried I would take too long of a break or lose cell signal or something and make her panic for nothing. But then again, she is a technophobe and probably wouldn't learn how to track me.

I had a RoadID for a long time but lost it; I should get another.
    I think there is a slight misunderstanding. RoadID has a free tracking app that competes favorably with Beacon. In my opinion the only downside is that if you use Strava for tracking already you have to start another app as well.

RoadID also has the little medical wristbands and such which I also use, but that is not specifically what I was referring to as competing with Beacon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    RidewithGPS has a better (and free) route planner than strava. Seems they've recently added segment leader boards.

Besides the social aspect, my primary use of Strava was to check trail conditions post rain - see who had ridden that day/week., if they called it "mud fest" or "tacky delight" or "saw the momma bear and cubs again!!!" However, it appears they've removed the narrow time window even from the premium - only "all time" and "this year" - so my primary use is not even available with premium.
    [edit: clarified as still being available on premium by roughster]

If people really care about rankings - they should look into the details more. Besides segments changing annually (trail segments leader boards should really expire every couple of years). The GPS data uses 3 second interval markers even though 1 second markers are typically available...which means your segment split could start 2.9 seconds early and end 2.9 seconds late, while mine started 2.9 seconds late and ended 2.9 seconds early, so there is about a 12 second accuracy window between riders.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BraaapTastic View Post
    RidewithGPS has a better (and free) route planner than strava. Seems they've recently added segment leader boards.

Besides the social aspect, my primary use of Strava was to check trail conditions post rain - see who had ridden that day/week., if they called it "mud fest" or "tacky delight." However, it appears they've removed the narrow time window even from the premium - only "all time" and "this year" - so my primary use is not even available with premium.

Not sure you are using Strava right from a leaderboard perspective. I can see this All time, year, month, week and today...

Strava is cutting free features in a push for $ubscribers-strava-lb.jpg
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks! (I'm definitely not a paid subscriber, based that on the screen shots online...and not seeing the other intervals on the left side column)

Quote Originally Posted by roughster View Post
    Not sure you are using Strava right from a leaderboard perspective. I can see this All time, year, month, week and today...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	strava lb.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	1334857

mtbr member
    Right on. I was just making sure I wasn't missing something!
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycagney View Post
    that's a bummer. one of my favorite features lately is looking at other peoples big gravel rides up over the bridge and creating a route off of their route. then I have turn by turn directions to go explore new shit.
    I completely agree. Having turn by turn directions on my Wahoo has made me much more comfortable riding out into the woods on my own. Major respect to anyone that learned the trails at a place like Fort Ord without turn by turn directions or a friend to show them around.

Looks like you can still view people's rides on Strava, then you just need to copy the route over to a new route builder, then export the gpx file. This was already a pretty manual process on Strava, so I think the biggest loss is losing access to the heatmap.

---

Strava is really shooting themselves in the foot with this. I get that they're removing functionality as a signal that they're serious about supporting paid users, but...Spotify already sort of paved the way for this sort of thing. If they had approached this with a different tone then I would be open to paying for the service, but I feel like they're giving me the middle finger for deciding that I don't want to pay money for features that I wasn't using. This whole thing is silly.

Cycologist
    I think there is a slight misunderstanding. RoadID has a free tracking app that competes favorably with Beacon. In my opinion the only downside is that if you use Strava for tracking already you have to start another app as well.

RoadID also has the little medical wristbands and such which I also use, but that is not specifically what I was referring to as competing with Beacon.
    No misunderstanding, I was just throwing in that I already have some history with RoadID.

mtbr member
    Strava is still one of favorite apps. Definitely fueled my riding and running more. However, my Strava hasn't been working well for last few months. Slow to load and GPS data is off.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I think Stava is the only paid app I use every single day. If it isnít to track my rides then itís to see what my friends are doing and motivating me to get out. Itís well worth the $5 a month. Itís $5. That barely registers as money.

mtbr member
    On the app I can still see all my previous efforts for a segment but the website is not allowing it. This sucks. I paid for a couple years and was never using any of the "premium" features but now they're hiding my own data. That's lame. Fine if they want to take away leaderboards and seeing friends times.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I'm sure the trajectory of user count/new users signing up/old users signing on has about leveled out. There's two ways to make the execs happy at this point: innovate to grow userbase, or commoditize and squeeze more money out of the active and falling userbase.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BraaapTastic View Post
    cool. everyone over to ridewithgps.
    Crusin' on a fake duck with a Sharks jersey on and a pig's tail in my fork

mtbr member
    May 2020
    I also used Strava to record my rides and was really disappointed when they stopped bluetooth integration. Also canceled my subscription.
    Then I realised that I had always a big problem with Iphone battery life during rides, specially if I needed the screen on for directions or to see segment live. I made the switch to record my rides with a Wahoo Elemnt Road that I bought: Major improvement!!! Better to use, battery lasts forever and iphone was protected instead of being placed in the ďdanger zoneĒ in the front of my MTB.
    So I made peace with Strava and most features are really helpful and interesting. When the actual subscription ends, I will reactivate that payment.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mattwsurfer View Post
    On the app I can still see all my previous efforts for a segment but the website is not allowing it. This sucks. I paid for a couple years and was never using any of the "premium" features but now they're hiding my own data. That's lame. Fine if they want to take away leaderboards and seeing friends times.
    Not anymore on mobile app it seems. Itís crazy to lock up access to data from myself! This is pushing people to either subscribe or ditch it. I was okay to only use it to see friendís ride and compare personal runs as a free user, but almost no reason to stay now.

For ride recording, I switched to iSmoothRun, which can pair with power meter, since Strava ditched BLE support. It also supports Apple watch so I donít need my heart rate strap for hiking. I would try using lap function on my wrist for climb/DH segments and see how that goes.

the half breed devil
    You're an animal! For 28 days that's averaging over 4k a day. I can't imagine you were riding every day. That's a big month, especially in the winter. Was that a drought year?
    leopold was riding big miles the about the same period i was doing big miles. during much of 2012, every time i got on the bike was at least 25 miles and about two or three months, every ride was over 30.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    I agree, very disappointing. I posted a thread in the Strava Community Forum, under "Completed and Released" as follows. maybe they will change their mind.

Now charging for Overall Segment Leader boards?

Strava is no longer providing overall segment leader board with their free version.

This is a fun feature and should remain free because it is more interesting as more people use Strava.

With Strava charging for this feature, many users will say forget it and stop using the app (or never start using the app) and the data will not reflect as many users, making access to this data much less interesting.

I also do not think it is right to suddenly charge for information that was always provided for free as part of the app.

I will have a difficult time recommending Strava with this change.

I really hope STRAVA changes their mind on this one.

Funny thing though - I do not see the post, maybe they blocked it or maybe it will just take time to appear

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    It's amazing how our perception of ownership has changed over the past 20 years.

We willingly and knowingly offer our data to these companies every single day in exchange for some service they provide. In fact I am doing so right now on MTBR. And yet we bitch and moan that the data is "ours" and that the conniving execs have stolen it from us when they modify their revenue streams.

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    we give them data to provide a service and there are certain expectations set. like that they will continue to provide a service and to not use our data in ways detrimental to us outside of that service. and maybe that we can delete it when we no longer want to use the service. or that we can ask to see our collected data. of course changing the terms of this relationship after the fact and after we are already invested is going to cause problems.

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    who remembers when free strava was limited to 5 rides a month? my user id is barely over 10k

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    we give them data to provide a service and there are certain expectations set. like that they will continue to provide a service and to not use our data in ways detrimental to us outside of that service. and maybe that we can delete it when we no longer want to use the service. or that we can ask to see our collected data. of course changing the terms of this relationship after the fact and after we are already invested is going to cause problems.
    It sounds like we disagree on what Strava's Terms of Service are:

"You grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, publicly perform and display any Content and any name, username or likeness that you post on or in connection with the Services in all media formats and channels now known or later developed without compensation to you. This license ends when you delete your Content or your account."

I understand this to mean that they can do whatever they want with your data and they can charge you for access to analyze it until you delete your data or your account.

https://www.strava.com/legal/terms#m...nt-and-conduct

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I dont disagree on what the technical terms of service are but we all know no one reads that pile of lawyer spew. I'm talking about the reality of the expectations people have and how it causes them to feel, not what would happen in court.

Up In Smoke
    who remembers when free strava was limited to 5 rides a month? my user id is barely over 10k
    What is your user ID and how do you see that? All I see is that I signed up on
    12-13-13...Friday the 13th.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by upsha View Post
    Not anymore on mobile app it seems. Itís crazy to lock up access to data from myself! This is pushing people to either subscribe or ditch it. I was okay to only use it to see friendís ride and compare personal runs as a free user, but almost no reason to stay now.

For ride recording, I switched to iSmoothRun, which can pair with power meter, since Strava ditched BLE support. It also supports Apple watch so I donít need my heart rate strap for hiking. I would try using lap function on my wrist for climb/DH segments and see how that goes.
    I haven't updated my iphone app so it still gives me the "Your Results (# efforts)" tab. I'm holding out on updating but I imagine it will be forced or restricted at some point anyway.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I dont disagree on what the technical terms of service are but we all know no one reads that pile of lawyer spew. I'm talking about the reality of the expectations people have and how it causes them to feel, not what would happen in court.
    I think the reality is that if you don't feel good about how they are using all the data you handed over to them you should delete your account.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    There are no free lunches...
    I have just been exploring the new feature of Matched Rides and it is really cool!
    I usually ride the same tracks and now I have the average time and many more data about those rides that Strava automatically matches.
    I believe it is worth the subscription; and if they can start developing more great features for paying members, that is good.

mtbr member
    Iíve always been a little surprised by how much they gave away in the free version, and how little value there was in the premium version. I subscribed for a year awhile back, but found that I hardly used any of the premium features.

I donít have a problem paying a little for Strava and I probably owe them something. Will be interesting to see if this causes a lot of people to delete their account.

Sep 2010
    1st ride today where I lost access to my previously free features. Bummer. I had a few personal PR's. I will not pay $60 a year for membership, but I would pay $2-3 per month, not $5. Alternatively, I may be willing to watch a 20 second advertisement for access instead of paying $. As I get older, I am on a tighter budget. Would I watch a commercial every time I ride, 18-20 times per month? Not sure, but I think I would. Hmmmm.

mtbr member
    I've never paid for Strava and am curious about their beacon
    Is it better than Glympse?
    Glympse is free and already installed on my Android phone. It simply shows my phone as a blue dot on a map as I ride in a text I send to whomever. My wife can see when/where I stop/go. Is Strava's beacon any better?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    What is your user ID and how do you see that? All I see is that I signed up on
    12-13-13...Friday the 13th.
    Click on yourself somewhere. Or 'my profile'. You'll get to a URL like https://www.strava.com/athletes/1234

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    1st ride today where I lost access to my previously free features. Bummer. I had a few personal PR's. I will not pay $60 a year for membership, but I would pay $2-3 per month, not $5. Alternatively, I may be willing to watch a 20 second advertisement for access instead of paying $. As I get older, I am on a tighter budget. Would I watch a commercial every time I ride, 18-20 times per month? Not sure, but I think I would. Hmmmm.
    Youíd pay $3 a month, but $5 busts the bank? That difference comes out to $0.07 a day.

For me itís more of a principle thing, I donít like paying for something that I was getting for free before. Havenít paid attention to segment times in a long time, and now that I have an ebike it matters even less.

Sep 2010
    Yeah, that is my price sensitivity, or Price Elasticity of Demand. I think Strava should offer a middle ground, is really the point. I can afford a new bike EVERY year, but Im not spending money that way. I'd rather spend $60 taking my wife to dinner. Anyway, I am staying with free version for now. My wife and I split cost of AAA each year, its $70 each. Not as useful on a daily basis as STRAVA, but a much better value (we have 2 autos with 200,000 miles).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    Yeah, that is my price sensitivity, or Price Elasticity of Demand. I think Strava should offer a middle ground, is really the point. I can afford a new bike EVERY year, but Im not spending money that way. I'd rather spend $60 taking my wife to dinner. Anyway, I am staying with free version for now. My wife and I split cost of AAA each year, its $70 each. Not as useful on a daily basis as STRAVA, but a much better value (we have 2 autos with 200,000 miles).
    Fair enough. I think the only online subscription I pay for is amazon prime. But I split that with the family so it isnít bad, and I more than get my money worth with the free ď2-dayĒ shipping.

The one questionable thing I donít pay for is a music streaming subscription (Apple, Spotify, etc). On road trips I have been listening to the same ~200 songs on repeat for the passed 5+ years. (Ac/dc, Boston, Eagles, Guns Ní Roses, Judas Priest, Zeppelin, Skynyrd, Van Halen, and maybe a few other classic rock artists in there).

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainBored View Post
    I've never paid for Strava and am curious about their beacon
    Is it better than Glympse?
    Glympse is free and already installed on my Android phone. It simply shows my phone as a blue dot on a map as I ride in a text I send to whomever. My wife can see when/where I stop/go. Is Strava's beacon any better?
    No. It has the same functionality.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    E Bikes busted Leader Boards and even trails themselves over the last few years and maybe they are responding to a decline in use (at least for me)as a result of that evolution. In the end, the Boards have no meaning to peddle pusher in the mountains and soon will be true on the road as well. My guess is there will be a pretty quick decline and move to other platforms with or without pay.

If it is free....you are the product.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    True Tommybees, the main downside of Strava Segments is that most leaderboards are fake - done with ebikes or somehow tricked.
    Other than that it should be a great functionality.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    A more likely scenario is that Strava are priming the company to be bought out, as is often the end-goal for app developers. So this new step in getting more monthly subscribers might be too add paper value to the business and better represent the interest that active users have in Strava.

On the Play store app, Strava have 10m+ installs.

Consider that Fitbit also has 10m+ installs, and they were bought out by Google last year for $2Billion

I'm sure Google would be dead keen to get their hands on extra consumer data that buying Strava would supply. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the first stage of priming the business to be offloaded for a serious profit.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Nande View Post
    True Tommybees, the main downside of Strava Segments is that most leaderboards are fake - done with ebikes or somehow tricked.
    Other than that it should be a great functionality.
    Yes, I'm going to go with your theory ! That must explain why some of my local segments report me going at 22km/hr but those in the top 10 going at 46km. Fake leaderboards !

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmtb View Post
    Click on yourself somewhere. Or 'my profile'. You'll get to a URL like
    Cool, Iím at 3.5 million

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    It's amazing how our perception of ownership has changed over the past 20 years.

We willingly and knowingly offer our data to these companies every single day in exchange for some service they provide. In fact I am doing so right now on MTBR. And yet we bitch and moan that the data is "ours" and that the conniving execs have stolen it from us when they modify their revenue streams.
    The data is yours

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Califo...er_Privacy_Act

Your are a Californian (in NorCal) and Strava is a Californian company. Let's look at the quick bullet points from the now active CCPA

The intentions of the Act are to provide California residents with the right to:

1. Know what personal data is being collected about them.
    2. Know whether their personal data is sold or disclosed and to whom.
    3. Say no to the sale of personal data.
    4. Access their personal data.
    5. Request a business to delete any personal information about a consumer collected from that consumer.[9]
    6. Not be discriminated against for exercising their privacy rights.

Is Strava in compliance? Can you opt out of your data being sold in an obvious way? If you use the app to record a GPS trace (vs. uploading from a Garmin or other device, in which case you clearly have the data somewhere else), can you access everything recorded in this trace without paying for it? I won't offer an exacting opinion as I haven't used Strava in a long time, but it seems to be based on what data is uploaded, and what can be accessed sans paywall, they are on the edge.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I'm pretty sure I follow you and agree with you on all of this. If you read my following post I quote Strava's terms which I interpret as meaning by using their service you grant them usage of all the data you record with their app. The only way to take away their rights to usage is to delete your data or your account.

Sep 2010
    I still think captive audience ad would work for me. I watch 30 second advertisement in exchange for leaderboard each ride? Or, Each usage?ouch, thats alot when answering friends "comments". That means I watch 18-20 commercials a month, directed at my demographic, to retain access. Is that worth more than $5 to STRAVA? Im not sure how that works, but youtube seems to make it work. On MTBR I sometimes click the ad for Price Point. J/k.
    Last edited by hoolie; 05-25-2020 at 08:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I was briefly annoyed when I read their email. Then I considered that Iíve been using Strava for free for seven years and itís probably the app I use most on my phone. I signed up for their 2-month trial and Iíll pay after that.

Trail Gnome
    Who actually uses Strava???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Meat View Post
    Who actually uses Strava???

Somewhere around 50 million people.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Trail Gnome
    ^^^sorry to hear that, Strava sucks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Meat View Post
    ^^^sorry to hear that, Strava sucks.

Obviously a few people think otherwise.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Trail Gnome
    ^^^I donít care about them

mtbr member
    ^^^lol
    I brake for stinkbugs

Trail Gnome
    ^^^exactly

Up In Smoke
    ey man! According to strava I'm a local legend!

mtbr member
    All of the Strava local legends I am seeing in Santa Cruz are the guys who don't set their privacy settings so all of their rides are public. Lots of documented traffic on the trails that don't exist.

Up In Smoke
    ^Those guys are local myths...