Stevens Canyon recommendations?- Mtbr.com
    padded

Stevens Canyon recommendations?

My office is in Cupertino and I'm trying to start getting out for a SS ride during the week. Any route recommendations for Stevens Canyon that feature (legal) singletrack, at least heading downhill, and can be ridden by a solid rider in around 90 min? The most recent write-up in the Trail Reviews section is pretty old and was for a long ride starting from Skyline, which I don't have time for.
    Thanks!
    "You are by far the most interesting single-serving friend I have ever met."

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    There are not many (legal) single track choices in Stevens Canyon. The best 90 minute (hard pace) loop is to ride Canyon all the way until you turn left on a short (unnamed?) single track going up to Monte Bello parking lot (on Page Mill). On the parking lot you turn left and at the end of the lot you turn right onto the new and well designed White Oaks trail. You turn left twice (down White Oaks and down Skid Road) until you're back on Canyon, where you turn right and head back to your car.

Here's the ride from Mt Eden road. If you park at the bottom of Redwood Gulch you save some time.

If you want to make the loop longer you take Indian Creek (a steep fire road) up all the way the the Black mountain summit, where you turn around and take a short section of Indian Creek, followed by Old Ranch and Bella Vista Trails down to Canyon, where you proceed with the aforementioned loop.

A legal alternative that's not too bad is to take the single track Table Mountain Trail and steep Char Coal (dirt) Road up, turn right on Saratoga Gap Trail and take Hickory Oaks and Long Ridge Trails to Grizzly Flat, which is a long fire road down to Canyon Trail. That could be a 2 hour ride though.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by JL de Jong; 12-11-2011 at 11:44 PM.
    Also known as Menso's dad.

Is this thing on?
    You could give Fremont Older a try. It is small but you can string together the single track, do a couple loops and get a 15 to 18 mile ride. It isn't very technical but it is close to my house. So for a quick ride from home it's great. Depending upon the time of day you will see hikers and horses. I was riding week days and didn't see many people but evenings and weekend are a little more crowded.

padded
    Right on - thanks, guys!
    WheelsJr is out of school the next 2 wks so I have to actually go to the office, may as well make the most of it.
    "You are by far the most interesting single-serving friend I have ever met."