Life's a Garden, dig it!

Stepped Up Enforcement at Annadel

After years of riding Annadel and almost never seeing a ranger, I have now seen the ranger in the park each of my last four rides.

Yesterday, she was giving a ticket to a guy with his dog. I don't have a problem with this, as every entrance to the park has a sign stating that dogs are not allowed in the park.

Now, I'm hearing that they are stepping up enforcement of night riding in the park, as well. Riding after dark has never been allowed, but it has mostly been overlooked. I just heard a second hand story (that I'd like to verify) of someone leaving the park just after dark and getting stopped and handed a $300 ticket.
    You're entitled to your own opinion, but you're not entitled to your own facts.

NedwannaB
    Day....Ham.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    After years of riding Annadel and almost never seeing a ranger, I have now seen the ranger in the park each of my last four rides.

Yesterday, she was giving a ticket to a guy with his dog. I don't have a problem with this, as every entrance to the park has a sign stating that dogs are not allowed in the park.

Now, I'm hearing that they are stepping up enforcement of night riding in the park, as well. Riding after dark has never been allowed, but it has mostly been overlooked. I just heard a second hand story (that I'd like to verify) of someone leaving the park just after dark and getting stopped and handed a $300 ticket.
    No problem with a ticket for the dog, but it is okay when you do not follow the rules?

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by LargeMan View Post
    No problem with a ticket for the dog, but it is okay when you do not follow the rules?
    The dude was walking a poodle, c'mon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    The dude was walking a poodle, c'mon.
    I run with my Chihuahua off leash, she is 3.5lbs, wonder if I would get a ticket too.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Huh? Who said that?

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    I run with my Chihuahua off leash, she is 3.5lbs, wonder if I would get a ticket too.
    Actually it was a chihuahua-terrier mix and I didn't see a leash, so I'm guessing you would. Listen, I'd love to take my Jack Russell up into the park, but it's not allowed so she stays home to terrierize her own squirrels.

mtbr member
    Actually it was a chihuahua-terrier mix and I didn't see a leash, so I'm guessing you would. Listen, I'd love to take my Jack Russell up into the park, but it's not allowed so she stays home to terrierize her own squirrels.
    I re-read your post, you are just wondering if they are ticketing for night riding? I thought I saw another post where someone did get a ticket for it.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    I've been told that someone coming out of the park just after dark got a ticket, but I haven't confirmed it. I've never ridden the park at night although there are organized night rides there all of the time.

If someone gets cited for riding at night when they know it's not allowed, they deserve a ticket. If someone is trying to get an afternoon ride in this time of year after work and misjudges their exit time, that's kinda chickenshit to me.

mtbr member
    I've been told that someone coming out of the park just after dark got a ticket, but I haven't confirmed it. I've never ridden the park at night although there are organized night rides there all of the time.

If someone gets cited for riding at night when they know it's not allowed, they deserve a ticket. If someone is trying to get an afternoon ride in this time of year after work and misjudges their exit time, that's kinda chickenshit to me.
    Agree, seems they do that garbage on occasion though.

NedwannaB

Wondering what the return on investment is for the State with the OT for the ocasional night time ticket is.

Air Pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    ...the return on investment is for the State...
    Why wonder.......when has the State of California given a flying f*ck over what the return on investment is for anything? If they decide to enforce something the state considers any expenditure of funds or resources to be justified. The State never worries about expenditures...because saving money is not their job, right?
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

mtbr member
    May 2007

Good

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by hwolters View Post
    Good

To what are you referring?

NedwannaB
    Purely rhetorical bockchoi. 🤓

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    When is the rest of the park supposed to reopen?

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Pride View Post
    When is the rest of the park supposed to reopen?
    And when will Hole In The Ground be open?????

mtbr member
    May 2007
    To what are you referring?
    The night ride fine. You can't complain about one and endorse the other.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Sure you can. If you read the OP they said "just after dark" . So if I'm riding late afternoon and have a mechanical or misjudge my time and come out shortly after sunset to me that's dramatically different than intentionally setting out for a night ride where it's clearly posted that the park closes at sunset.

Not helpful.

Who is endorsing the other? I didn't read that in the OP.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukas View Post
    Sure you can. If you read the OP they said "just after dark" . So if I'm riding late afternoon and have a mechanical or misjudge my time and come out shortly after sunset to me that's dramatically different than intentionally setting out for a night ride where it's clearly posted that the park closes at sunset.
    Bingo!

NedwannaB
    And when will Hole In The Ground be open?????
    This weekend Gary! I'll PM you a trail report.....😎👍

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukas View Post
    Agreed in that case

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    Is there any actual information regarding (i) how severe is the damage to Ridge, Schultz, and Lawndale; and (ii) when the South half of the park might be reopened?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Flo View Post
    Is there any actual information regarding (i) how severe is the damage to Ridge, Schultz, and Lawndale; and (ii) when the South half of the park might be reopened?
    J-flo, I spoke with a park ranger the morning of super bowl Sunday. She said CalFire wants them to keep the currently closed part closed for 2 years. She said there is a lot of work and coordination happening behind the scenes and a lot of different agencies involved. She said they are hoping for a roll out opening that will open up Marsh and Two Quarry in the next 2-3 months. South Burma would remain closed though.

She mentioned more than once that "riders" are "riding" closed trails and are causing further erosion. This was said in the context of potential further delays for reopening the closed sections. She didn't specify riders and I didn't push her. It was a friendly and civil chat. After all, I am a mountain biker - she might have been worried I was going to pick her up and throw her down the side of the trail.

The night ride thing does worry me. I've got an 8 month old and a 3 year old at home with a spouse who works full time. My weekends are usually packed with family time and house chores. The weekday evenings are my best times to ride. If I get a ticket, I'll suck it up and pay it - I know the rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    Thanks. But two years? Ow.

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Flo View Post
    Thanks. But two years? Ow.
    Hey, maybe by then the SMART train will connect to Larkspur and run a northbound AM train before 11 AM? Would be a pretty fun day to ride transit up, ride the park, hit up RR, and have the train/ferry back home at the end of the day...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks for the updates and intel, Chuck and Chasintrane. Bummer that S Burma's slated to remain closed.

But stoked they're ticketing the dog people. Pisses me off.
    2016 SC 5010
    2017 Norco Torrent
    2014 Giant Trance (the boy's)
    2014 Kona Process 134a (the other boy's)

mtbr member
    Doesn't China Camp, another state park, ramp up enforcement of night riding from time to time as well? If enough people are breaking the rules, might give them cause.

Not sure what issue the SP has with dogs..
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    They have a new sign up at the Spring Lake entrance. Electric sign; tells you exactly what time the park closes. It was 5:40 the other night. My spidey senses had me sprinting for my truck. I got out in time.

Crazy. There were bikes just starting the ride up. I hope they didnít get ticketed.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Someone also got a ticket for being in the park too early--a little before sunrise. Does this ranger never sleep?
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    I won't bet my life on it, but I believe there will be more upper level trais opened soon. I'm hearing early March.

As for the stepped up ticketing... I really don't get it. Why create issues where there haven't been any. Previous rangers had struck a balance where everyone played well together and no harm came to the park or users. I suspect it will all settle out once the fires have been put well behind us and the park is fully open. Let's see.
    Last edited by chuckha62; 02-10-2018 at 10:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

As for the stepped up ticketing... I really don't get it.
    Lots of condensed traffic with the closings. Kyle and I passed the same guy probably a half dozen times in one ride. All the hikers we passed were cool but all it takes is that few rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Pride View Post
    Lots of condensed traffic with the closings. Kyle and I passed the same guy probably a half dozen times in one ride. All the hikers we passed were cool but all it takes is that few rotten apples.
    This is 100% true. To look at it another way though, the more people are ticketed on the "social" trails or for riding just before or after dark, the more traffic will be driven on to what limited options are open right now. This could lead to increased user conflict in an already extremely congested area. Like it or not, these off the map trails aren't going anywhere, nor are the people that ride and maintain them. It seems to me that SP should be putting their resources towards opening the park, not playing a pointless, unwinnable game of Whack-A-Mole.

Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    Interesting difference in State Parks. Down here at Montana de Oro, as a "day user" we're good to be 'parked' in the park till 10pm. After that, you just can't be parked in the park unless you're a camper in the campgrounds. Not being detail familiar with the parks of subject, do they have camping? Wondering if that's the difference?

Dogs are only allowed in the St Pk campgrounds, that's it.

"Dark" is a chicken-shit reference if that's what they're using. What's the actual cut-off? Our City managed network now enforces an old darkness closure rule that was never enforced and we rode nights for numerous years on the outskirts trails regularly. It was so common that nobody ever knew it was illegal. No signage, no nothing. NEVER any issues with MTB'rs, no callouts, injuries, etc. Measure A (IIRC) we (local mtb org) fought for funding for our Ranger Services for the trails. We got some trails and 3.5 positions opened up for Rangers. Now we get $561 tickets if you get caught on the trails an hour after sunset. At least the "hour after" allows for time to get off the trails and back to the trailhead under headlight conditions.

NedwannaB
    Agreed. I'm sure many regular day time riders are opting for alternative ride times due to the increased congestion. I would be.

As for fire closed trails, I would hope by now the 'many' agencies (half dozen at least I would think?) could've assessed the areas and formed a plan of attack. Maybe this ramp up with ticketing is to generate some trail mitigation funding...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_510 View Post
    Doesn't China Camp, another state park, ramp up enforcement of night riding from time to time as well? If enough people are breaking the rules, might give them cause.
    The rangers at CC often cruise San Pedro at dusk, reminding people the park closes then. Parking on San Pedro at night for CC is not recommended, they be watching...

mtbr member
    The 5:40 time referenced above was local sunset time for that day. That's pretty early, and there's usually usable light left, but it is easy to enforce without debate. Some park policies say dusk, which is more ambiguous because it is defined by how far the sun is below the horizon, which you can't just figure out on the spot by eye.

edit - Annadel's published closing time is indeed sunset.

Not helpful.
    Once again, Hogan is sounding better and better. I don't know how you folks live where you do without slitting your throats.

NedwannaB
    Once again, Hogan is sounding better and better. I don't know how you folks live where you do without slitting your throats.

New Hogan FTW! I'm jest sayin..