Moderator Moderator

Status Check: How's everyone feeling after multiple days of smoke?

I generally never have issues from allergy, cold, smoke, etc, but even I have a very mild headache and feel a bit goofy. How's everyone else holding up? What precautions are you taking?

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    I generally never have issues from allergy, cold, smoke, etc, but even I have a very mild headache and feel a bit goofy. How's everyone else holding up? What precautions are you taking?
    What can you do? I just drink more beer and keep feeling goofy (insert Disney joke here).

I'm not going to walk around the ol' homestead with a mask on, I can tell you that. While out and about today, my eyes bugged me, so I rubbed 'em.

https://www.cnn.com/2016/11/15/healt...lth/index.html
    What's wrong with him??

Not helpful.
    Just be thankful you're not in a shelter, especially this one: https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...cid=spartandhp
    What's wrong with him??

Nobody
    I'm pretty much mildly short of breath all day/restricted breathing all day. Luckily, I spend some of my day in a cleanroom so I get some relief. Seems like the last couple days have gotten worse and today I'm hackin up shit, kind of like at the end of a cold. Throat has a mild burn.

Not much I can do, other than try to limit my outdoor exposure and keep the house closed up. Seems to smell a little worse up the hill where I live. At work, I walk across the street multiple times per day to go into the lab and Lam Research is right on the edge of the bay in Fremont, so it's kinda thick.
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

fc
    head minion Administrator
    So get this... a lot of people died in the Camp Fire tragedy. We will find out that number in the days to come.

But what is the other toll for the 10-20 million affected by the smoke? How many years of lives are lost by everyone continuing to breath this air for a couple of weeks. There are so many people with outdoor jobs right now with no breathing protection. We will probably never find out

Then there's the other toll. Of all the people who lost their homes and livelyhood, how many lives are cut short as they don't find suitable medical care or a place to live (especially for the retired folks).

Just a thought.
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Just be thankful you're not in a shelter, especially this one: https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...cid=spartandhp
    Also be thankful itís not 100 degrees out.

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    So get this... a lot of people died in the Camp Fire tragedy. We will find out that number in the days to come.

But what is the other toll for the 10-20 million affected by the smoke? How many years of lives are lost by everyone continuing to breath this air for a couple of weeks. There are so many people with outdoor jobs right now with no breathing protection. We will probably never find out

Then there's the other toll. Of all the people who lost their homes and livelyhood, how many lives are cut short as they don't find suitable medical care or a place to live (especially for the retired folks).

Just a thought.
    Don't forget the 300+ missing. That won't be figured out for a long time, weeks or months after the fire is out.

People can be affected by the smoke in many ways. Develop asthma, COPD, etc. Those with lung problems (and even without) could have their lives shortened significantly.

Your estimate of 10-20 million might be a bit low.

PG&E stock is in freefall, but it doesn't mean they'll actually be taken to task for this either.

mtbr member

Hope this helps?

+ 1 on the mild headache! https://www.facebook.com/notes/leah-...4314817732168/ I'll just leave this here ... C'mon Facebook! ....................Green Bay and Seahawks 2 nite ... season is OVER for whoever loses ... according to my lying TV!
    Suicide by single speed. Work in progress.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Frustrated. Really need some exercise of any kind! And it ain't gonna be any better in the Bay Area this weekend. Hopefully, we'll get the heck out of Dodge.

From today's NWS 3:31pm Forecast Discussion:
    ...no significant improvement forecast through the weekend as a weak
    windflow pattern persists... Weak offshore flow will continue to spread smoke over the region until the large scale pattern aloft changes. Right now, this much-needed pattern change isn't expected to occur until the middle of next week, at the earliest.
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

mtbr member
    I rode last weekend, and having had a history of asthma was worried about messing up my lungs. I was surprised to find that aside from feeling a little winded, I didn't seem to suffer too bad on that side. No headache either!

What surprised me though is how much the smoke inhalation impacted my sinuses. I thought I caught some terrible bug because I had what felt like the worst sinusitis (sinus infection) in my life. It lasted about 2 days, and I kept alternating between sneezing, runny nose, and complete congestion. It was bad. I finally used nasal saline to flush out my sinuses, and things got back to normal.

This was my body saying: nope, nope, nope, stay inside. As much as it sucks, I'm staying inside until the air quality gets a LOT better. Just not worth the health risks going out in the smoke....

29er convert
    I feel for you guys. I think the smoke even affected us a little through the jetstream, and we are in OKLAHOMA!

I can't even imagine being right in the middle if it

Stay safe bros

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    ---------
    I once had an awkward moment just to see how it felt

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes View Post
    Don't forget the 300+ missing.
    631 now

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Rode last night. First ride since the Camp fire started. My friends all wore masks but I didn't have one. No ill effects to speak of. I actually climbed really well and pushed myself just a tad. I've been riding 3-4 times a week lately but not this week! I've decided to mostly stay inside and try to limit my kids being outdoors as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I was just wondering if its other people than just me! I get allergy shots I'm so bad and with two kids at school bringing home every germ known to man this time of year and combined with the smoke, Ive been a wreck! And since I haven't been riding because rangers, smoke, etc. Im just in a funk.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Not great. Mild headache, I'm a bit loopy. And I'm always out of sorts when I'm not riding. I'm not even commuting on my bike anymore. Fortunately my office building HVAC is "over-designed for office space use" (it used to be a datacenter, computers have far more demanding filtration and HVAC needs than people), so I can breathe easy there.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^^ Loopy is a good description.

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Mild headache and burning eyes, pretty common response for an otherwise healthy person with no respiratory disorders.

However, whining about small annoyances when others have lost everything seems kinda lame.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by rafekett View Post
    Not great. Mild headache, I'm a bit loopy. And I'm always out of sorts when I'm not riding. ...
    I know this much is true...
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by NRP View Post
    However, whining about small annoyances when others have lost everything seems kinda lame.

Yeah. Stop that tone
    IPA will save America

Life's a Garden, dig it!

Just a thought.
    You're so right, FC! The long term implications will be far reaching and hard to quantify, but we're all likely affected in some way.

In Santa Rosa, there are countless residents who have just cashed out and moved on. Those who were under or un-insured have moved in with family members or become homeless, as any aid was short term and has expired.
    Why Johnny Ringo, you look like someone just walked over your grave.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    I picked a decent day to ride on Wed. The air was relatively clear and I rode Annadel without a mask of any kind. So far, so good. I want to ride over the weekend, but i'm taking a wait and see approach to air quality.
    Why Johnny Ringo, you look like someone just walked over your grave.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Time to stay in the gym until this crap clears out ... do some cross training something most of us desperately need

Definitely feel grateful I wasn't directly affected and thoughts and donations are going to those who lost everything.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I've ridden 5 times since the smoke rolled in but yesterday was it for a while, definitely feeling a bit off

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    My last outdoor ride was 11/10/18 and I noticed my heart rate was 10-15 higher than I usually see it for given power levels (road bike ride). AQI that morning was 108 when I left and 155 when I got back ~75 mins later. I've been riding the trainer since but I'm hopeful for this weekend clearing up.

Some bloody snot one morning but otherwise I'm totally fine but I've been right next to an air purifier almost all day every day since the smoke rolled in.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by hillsandspills View Post
    Time to stay in the gym until this crap clears out ... do some cross training something most of us desperately need

Definitely feel grateful I wasn't directly affected and thoughts and donations are going to those who lost everything.
    The trails ARE my gym. I am forgoing exercise until the air quality improves.

Nearest actual gym is a 25 minute drive down the mountain and into the city (where the AQ is even worse).

How is the air INSIDE your gym, btw?

Moderator Moderator
    One thing this has made me think about is year round air quality inside my house. I have some of the portable filters that we use, but I'm thinking to get serious and monitor/filter my indoor air year round. Anyone else doing this? Recommendations on equipment?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Wife has asthma, we have air purifiers all over the house anyway. All now cranked up to maximum.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    One thing this has made me think about is year round air quality inside my house. I have some of the portable filters that we use, but I'm thinking to get serious and monitor/filter my indoor air year round. Anyone else doing this? Recommendations on equipment?
    We have an electronic cleaner hooked up in line on the air return with washable filters, it works very good however you do need to keep the blower running for it to work. We don't have a problem with that it actually ends up being a bit of a white noise sound deadener.

Moderator Moderator

fc
    cupertino... 298 and worseningStatus Check: How's everyone feeling after multiple days of smoke?-screen-shot-2018-11-16-11.25.00-am.jpg
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator
    Status Check: How's everyone feeling after multiple days of smoke?-screen-shot-2018-11-16-11.51.20-am.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Since the gym doesnít post AQI Iím presuming itís very healthy. Canít wait to get back outside!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Deleted Post

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I rode Wed. & Fri. of last week down here in Monterey County. The air wasn't good and by Sat. i didn't feel good at all...

-I'm wondering how all the kids who had CCS Football & Cross Country Playoffs moved here from the Bay Area because our AQI was "better" feel...
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

fc
    I've been out everyday!! Thank you ebike and occasional mask!!

Our CCS football game got moved from Salinas to Morgan Hill on Saturday for better air!
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I've been out everyday!! Thank you ebike and occasional mask!!

Our CCS football game got moved from Salinas to Morgan Hill on Saturday for better air!
    HA!! - They moved it because they found out they were playing at Alisal High in the EAST-SIDE homey!!! LOL
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Agree 100% that complaining about not getting to play while others are burning alive is not kosher; so I'm just venting, not bitching (if there's a difference).

I've managed to stay indoors for the most part, but was at Sears Pt for a track day on Saturday. Smoke started bad and got worse all day. Even hiding indoors between sessions, I still got a case of the loops. Just kind of derpy, headachey, eyes and voice scratchy, bored and housebound. Hardly even have the attention span to read or play any complex video games. And my 13yo handily beat me at chess.

Wind supposed to be coming, along with rain. Of course then it'll be too cold and wet to ride. Will probably dig out the cold weather gear and dust off the hardtail anyway. Need to get some bikechurch time in.
    2016 SC 5010
    2017 Norco Torrent
    2014 Giant Trance (the boy's)
    2014 Kona Process 134a (the other boy's)

fc
    Interesting is motion gets the body warm and cozy from within. Without it, I'm freezing even with a jacket on indoors.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I was in Asia for a couple of weeks at the end of Oct. and beginning of Nov. I came home on the 9th and the air quality was really distressing. It was about 4pm when I was on my way to LG from SFO. The sun was shining but the air was so thick with haze that you could look directly at it. I'm not sure if it was sickness or smoke but I've had a bit of congestion ever since. I haven't ridden outdoors, just a bunch in the gym. I'll go out tomorrow on the Kennedy Turkey Day ride - first ride in CA in nearly a month.