Star Thistle- Mtbr.com

Thread: Star Thistle

mtbr member

Star Thistle

This fall, I'm riding the inner coast range with the lower temps and dry soils. But, wow, the star thistle grew like the little shop of horrors this year. I've ridden several trails in the cache creek area, the north end trail at lake beryessa, and even the moore creek trails. All of these places featured sections where the star thistle is waist high and the trail almost obscured.

At lake beryessa, I wore shorts. Bad idea - my legs were bleeding from the star thistle punctures. Since, I've switched to a heavy duty pair of mountain hardware convertible pants but I haven't converted them yet! Let's hear it for tubeless and stan's.

I blame copious and late rainfall that has kept the soil moisture high through the summer, the official star thistle growing season.

How's the star thistle where you ride?
    My mantra: Hike, Bike, Paddle, Ski

mtbr member
    It has been my trails absolute nemesis this year with 3 full passes required to get it under control on just the tread / sides. It is definitely due to the ground water from late season rain. Shady patches on my trail still have some residual ground moisture and most likely it will last through the remainder of the year until we start getting more moisture. I would guess next year will be nasty as well.

I have 3 batteries and a 80 volt weed whacker that takes it out at all growth stages green or tan, but it always sucks wasting time on whacking when I could be digging!

Star Thistle-img_8860.jpg

Star Thistle-img_8858.jpg
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    I blame copious and late rainfall that has kept the soil moisture high through the summer, the official star thistle growing season.
    ^This.
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

middle ring single track
    They have a serious YST eradication program at Henry W Coe SP and yes it sucked hundreds of volunteer hours away from trail maintenance.

The last couple of years we were making some headway but this last year's late spring completely messed things up. This time lapse is of a mixed crew, about half park's staff and half volunteers:

The program uses mowing, spraying and pulling. A lot of pulling. Timing has to be perfect for mowing and spraying, hence too much pulling.

mtbr member
    When I was up in Oregon farming (pumpkins and corn) and Star Thistle was enemy #1. The state of Oregon was militant about the control of noxious weeds. As a farmer, it was a priority to control Star Thistle. As an ORGANIC farmer, we had to pay day labor to come in an remove roughly 4 miles of roadside thistle since the chemical drift from the herbicide from ODOT was a real issue. We produced bags and bags of the thistle, then had to show a certified dump certificate that we disposed of it properly.

Now all that land is hemp production. Apparently, nobody wants to buy pumpkins for pie filling? Weird.

graps the nettle
    Aug 2005
    Man, star thistle is the bane of my existence. The meadow across from my barn was thick with it when I bought the ranch five years ago. Pulled all of it by hand, by myself, over the next couple years. Every year there will be some remaining. This year, it just exploded. As it did everywhere else. So, next year, back to square one. One of the local ranchers told me this summer that the seedlings can and often do lay dormant for several years, so that even if you manage to clean an entire parcel out in a given year before they get a chance to propagate, it is almost certain that there will still be seeds waiting to take hold the next year. This helps the plant ensure its survival.

The same local rancher says he generally allows 7 years of constant pulling before he can call an area officially free of the tenacious f****rs. Sigh...
    hold my beer...

middle ring single track
    Part of a documentary I'm making about YST eradication:

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Full strength white vinegar should kill them. It's killed everything I sprayed on it.
    Anything with glycophoshate is pure poison for more than what you spray it on, and it is a great carcinogen too.
    Pirke yer poison.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Iíll take flesh wounds over the flat tire inducing power of the TRIBULUS TERRESTRIS any day of the week.
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

Moderator Moderator
    Attached Images Attached Images